PDA

View Full Version : Computers HELP !!!!! Did my PC crash ?

ROYC75
07-01-2008, 08:36 AM
OK, To the ones that are familiar with my electrical problem, ( which I haven't had any problems since that time till now ) my circuit breaker blew at 5:30 AM. When I came into the office at 7:30 to power the PC on, it came up, went to the Windows XP screen and then blinked, went to the safe mode option screen. I tried all of them, safe mode, command, last known configuration and start normal.

Nothing worked, it always went to the Windows XP screen or the safe mode and blinked, came right back to the very same screen again to start over.

I plugged in the Windows XP disk, to repair it, it is stuck on a Recovery Console screen that has a dead cursor, ( it's not blinking ) and the light is not on the CD rom.

I can type EXIT and go back to the beginning of the disk running.

My question is ........ Is this PC repairing itself , even if the light on the CD Rom is not lite up ? It has the same screen now for 25 minutes.

Do I need to exit and skip the repair and install it again ?

:doh!::harumph:

Saulbadguy
07-01-2008, 08:40 AM
If you are having electrical problems, the first thing I would do is buy an uninterrupible power supply (UPS) from Best Buy or whatnot, and use that.

I'd say your XP install is borked. The disk is obviously reading if it can boot off it, even if the light is not loading. Try doing a reinstall.

chasedude
07-01-2008, 08:47 AM
If you are having electrical problems, the first thing I would do is buy an uninterrupible power supply (UPS) from Best Buy or whatnot, and use that.

I'd say your XP install is borked. The disk is obviously reading if it can boot off it, even if the light is not loading. Try doing a reinstall.

A UPS is VERY important. I stress this for all my client's computers. Your Hard Drive may be corrupt. If you can get to a command line try typing in this command "CHKDSK /F", without the quotes of course. This may take awhile depending on the speed of your system and size of the Hard Drive.

What this is doing is scanning your system for bad sectors. If it finds some bad spots it will move the data on it to a better spot.

Something to try :shrug:

phisherman
07-01-2008, 08:50 AM
actually, that should be chkdsk /f, not dskchk /f

Sure-Oz
07-01-2008, 08:51 AM
finally fast dot COM FINALLY!

chasedude
07-01-2008, 09:23 AM

LMAO I'm glad you caught that, I must be dyslexic today

ROYC75
07-01-2008, 09:29 AM

I finally got a hold of my PC guy that built the damn thing, he told me on the recovery to use chkdsk /r.

It started to scan the PC and is 50% complete ....... keeping fingers crossed !

chasedude
07-01-2008, 09:38 AM
I finally got a hold of my PC guy that built the damn thing, he told me on the recovery to use chkdsk /r.

It started to scan the PC and is 50% complete ....... keeping fingers crossed !

Go pick yourself up a UPS at Best Buy while you're waiting on it to scan ;)

ROYC75
07-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Well, that did the trick, up and running like normal.

chasedude
07-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Well, that did the trick, up and running like normal.

How many bad sectors did it report?

ROYC75
07-01-2008, 01:59 PM
How many bad sectors did it report?

1 ........ it repaired it. Didn't lose anything.:thumb: