PDA

View Full Version : once again, into the breach...

go bowe
07-02-2008, 03:39 PM
help again, please...

just got a new mobo installed (old one went belly up)...

worked all the kinks out except for one...

i have a cd r/w in the puter and it has power, but won't read anything from a cd (actually, the message is no media in the cd drive)...

i swapped my drive for another working cd and it didn't read anything either (again, the no media message)...

both cd's work just fine in my wife's pc, but not in mine...

the ide port seems to be working since the (master) hdd on the end of the ribbon cable works, but the slave cd on the same ide cable still won't read anything on my pc...

other than a bad ribbon cable, what could be causing this (new) headache for me?

and, most important, how do i fix it?

thanks in advance...

and a happy 4th of july everybody... :toast: :toast: :toast:

Adept Havelock
07-02-2008, 03:44 PM
help again, please...

i have a cd r/w in the puter and it has power, but won't read anything from a cd (actually, the message is no media in the cd drive)...

i swapped my drive for another working cd and it didn't read anything either (again, the no media message)...

the ide port seems to be working since the (master) hdd on the end of the ribbon cable works, but the slave cd on the same ide cable still won't read anything on my pc...

other than a bad ribbon cable, what could be causing this (new) headache for me?

thanks in advance...

Is it enabled/detected in BIOS?

Have you tried setting the jumpers on both the HD and CDRom to cable select?

QuikSsurfer
07-02-2008, 03:46 PM
help again, please...

thanks in advance...

Check the jumpers. I'd suggest another ribbon - but you already knew that.

edit: what havelock said.

kepp
07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah, most common cause of this is probably the jumpers on the CD drive.

go bowe
07-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Is it enabled/detected in BIOS?

Have you tried setting the jumpers on both the HD and CDRom to cable select?bios sees the cd drive and windows shows it in device manager (which says that it is functioning properly - on what planet i think to myself)

no i haven't tried the cable select setting yet, but will try it in the morning...

the wife and i just celebrated our 29th anniversary the other night and i'm still trying to recover...

thanks for the tip...

and i hope you and yours have a safe and happy 4th! :toast:

go bowe
07-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Check the jumpers. I'd suggest another ribbon - but you already knew that.

edit: what havelock said.i tried different combinations, but then found a site that shows the jumper assignments for cd's and tried those...

those assignments seemed to get both cd's recognized by my computer, but still no media was recognized as being in the cd drive, even when i put cd's in that i know worked in other machines...

is there some setting in windows that could make windows recognize that there is a disk in the drive?

go bowe
07-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah, most common cause of this is probably the jumpers on the CD drive.when i had it wrong, windows would not start
but threw an error message about the incompatible cd (which then became quite compatible when i switched the jumpers) but the drive still wouldn't read cd's - or should i say the pc still said there wasn't any media in the cd drive)...

the thing worked fine a few days ago...

i installed the drivers for my printer via a cd and everything was working fine then...

i love windows and all, but it's getting too complicated for almost-old geezers like me...

i really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me advice about this perplexing problem...

have a safe and happy 4th... :toast:

go bowe
07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
update...

jumpers checked and new cable installed and now the cd works fine...

thanks guys... :toast:

QuikSsurfer
07-08-2008, 12:59 PM
update...

jumpers checked and new cable installed and now the cd works fine...

thanks guys... :toast:

Great :thumb: