PDA

View Full Version : News Singer Opts for 'Black National Anthem'

Demonpenz
07-03-2008, 09:59 AM
A jazz singer shocked some Denver residents after replacing the words to the national anthem with those of the "Black National Anthem" during the annual State of the City address this week.

Rene Marie was asked to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" before Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper delivered the annual address on Tuesday. Instead, she sang the lyrics of "Lift Every Voice and Sing" a hymn commonly referred to as the "Black National Anthem" to the tune of the national anthem, MyFOXColorado.com reported.

"If anyone has got a right to be angry it's probably me," Hickenlooper told the station. "I guess what I feel most is just deeply disappointed."

The mayor said only Marie, her husband and a musical adviser knew what the local jazz singer had in mind.

"What she said was that she was very sorry, that she meant no disrespect, that she was trying to make a creative expression of her love for the country," Hickenlooper said.

But the change in lyrics angered many residents, including City Councilman Charlie Brown.

"I was mad," he told MyFOXColorado.com. "I almost walked off the stage."

Brown said the matter needs to be addressed. "There is no substitute for the national anthem."

chasedude
07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Maybe they should have called Rosanne?

stlchiefs
07-03-2008, 10:12 AM
I would have definitely walked off, in a VERY loud fashion. That is bs, the national anthem is not your song of choice, it is an established song. Focking bullchit.

Demonpenz
07-03-2008, 10:13 AM
She probably did it to up her sales.

Donger
07-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Nice.

Marie said she deliberately chose to sing "Lift Every Voice and Sing" to the tune of the traditional anthem because she doesn't relate to the lyrics of the Star Spangled Banner.

"I wanted to express how I felt about living in this country as a black woman," Marie said.

Demonpenz
07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
How do you explain this to kids. Now son treat everyone the same exept for black people.Dad that black woman sings whatever she wants.
Well son that is because we put a whippin in the 80's on the guy from reading rainbow

Deberg_1990
07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Total BS..

If she doesnt like Americas established customs and traditions, shes free to move to another country.

Donger
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Is it really any worse than this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hU9iCANi02o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hU9iCANi02o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think I hear some extraneous words.

chasedude
07-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Is it really any worse than this?

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hU9iCANi02o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

I don't understand why some singers really need to go "over-the-top" when singing songs like this? Keep the timing and syncopation the same and just sing the song the way it's written.

tomahawk kid
07-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Not saying everyone has to like what she did, but that whole "Freedom of Speech" thing can be a real m#ther f#cker can't it?

mcan
07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Yeah, it's pretty rude to take a chance like that when the function isn't really about you. If it goes over well, then you're golden. If it doesn't go over well, then you've ruined some other poor guys' night, but not your own. It's a selfish act of expression at an inappropriate time.

BUT!

Let's not get all high and mighty about it. It's times like these where a little bit of understanding and open mindedness can take an awkward situation and turn it into something positive. Only useless negativity and resentment result when two people get into a battle of pride and principles. Nobody died here. Nobody was trying to hurt anybody. In fact, nobody got hurt at all.

Demonpenz
07-03-2008, 10:27 AM
One local resident added "If she wasn't going to sing the anthiem....she should atleast thrown in THE CAMPTOWN LADY"

Deberg_1990
07-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Not saying everyone has to like what she did, but that whole "Freedom of Speech" thing can be a real m#ther f#cker can't it?

Its just the whole total lack of respect for established customs and traditions i have a problem with.

Plus, she made it all about her. Some people just dont "get it" and probably never will.

kepp
07-03-2008, 10:28 AM

Yeah, pretty much. I personally think what she did was rude but I suppose she has the right to do it.

tomahawk kid
07-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah, it's pretty rude to take a chance like that when the function isn't really about you. If it goes over well, then you're golden. If it doesn't go over well, then you've ruined some other poor guys' night, but not your own. It's a selfish act of expression at an inappropriate time.

BUT!

Let's not get all high and mighty about it. It's times like these where a little bit of understanding and open mindedness can take an awkward situation and turn it into something positive. Only useless negativity and resentment result when two people get into a battle of pride and principles. Nobody died here. Nobody was trying to hurt anybody. In fact, nobody got hurt at all.

You expressed my point much more eloquently that I did.

Totally agree this was inappropriate given the event and occasion. However, I'm glad I live in a country where someone can do something like this should they choose to do so and not get stoned for it.

Everyone might not like it (myself included), but I would hope that everyone would keep an open mind and fight off the immediate urge or negativity towards the woman or the choice she made.

See the councilman who said, "I almost walked off stage". F#cking please. Grow up, be an adult and afford that woman the same rights you take for granted and enjoy yourself.

I'm sure there's been times when Mr. Charlie Brown said something that not everyone agreed with and he wasn't berated for it.

Some folks across the country don't agree with the Arrowhead faithful inserting "CHIEFS" at the end of the anthem - BUT we in KC don't consider it disrespectful, just a tradition and part of our expression of not only the anthem, but how we relate to it as part of our homefield advantage.

What this woman did isn't so different from what we do at every Arrowhead home game if you think about it in those terms.

stlchiefs
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM

"Freedom of Speech" is so overused and misunderstood. Nobody is saying she doesn't have a right to sing such a song nor are her words being oppressed/outlawed. The problem here is she was hired or at a minimum requested to sing the NATIONAL ANTHEM before a speech and she took it upon herself to sing a completely different song in utter disrespect to our national anthem and everyone in attendance.

She can feel free to sing her black pride anthem whenever she wants, just not when she has been specifically asked and AGREED to sing our national anthem in front of an audience.

tomahawk kid
07-03-2008, 10:37 AM
"Freedom of Speech" is so overused and misunderstood. Nobody is saying she doesn't have a right to sing such a song nor are her words being oppressed/outlawed. The problem here is she was hired or at a minimum requested to sing the NATIONAL ANTHEM before a speech and she took it upon herself to sing a completely different song in utter disrespect to our national anthem and everyone in attendance.

She can feel free to sing her black pride anthem whenever she wants, just not when she has been specifically asked and AGREED to sing our national anthem in front of an audience.

See my post after the one you quoted.

I expanded my thoughts there a bit.

FAX
07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
One local resident added "If she wasn't going to sing the anthiem....she should atleast thrown in THE CAMPTOWN LADY"

That would have been nice. Or, maybe the well-loved standard, "Mississippi Mud".

One has to wonder about this whole "I wanted to express how I felt about living in this country as a black woman" thing, too. So far as I know, no one has replaced the anthem lyrics with poetry that expresses how the white, male, middle-aged, Protestant feels about living here.

Oh, say can you see
Or do you need new glasses?
And do you have to choose
Between gas and your sight?

FAX

MVChiefFan
But the change in lyrics angered many residents, including City Councilman Charlie Brown.

Brown said the matter needs to be addressed. "There is no substitute for the national anthem."

The problem is all he heard was "whaa whaa whaa whaa whaa whaa!"

Sully
I'm not a huge fan of our national anthem, but I don't like this version any better.
It was a dumbass move, without some warning. But if the mayor knew about it... I guess it was his show.

Demonpenz
07-03-2008, 10:40 AM
The problem is all he heard was "whaa whaa whaa whaa whaa whaa!"

By being friends with peppermint patty Brown (D) can expect a strong lesbian turnout in may's vote

Donger
07-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm not a huge fan of our national anthem, but I don't like this version any better.
It was a dumbass move, without some warning. But if the mayor knew about it... I guess it was his show.

Hickenlooper didn't know about it:

Hickenlooper held a news conference Wednesday where he appeared upset and irritated.

He said the singer, Rene Marie, "deceived us."

"We all respect artistic license and support freedom of expression. But in a tradition-laden civic ceremony that included a law enforcement color guard presenting our flags and the Pledge of Allegiance -- making a personal substitution for the national anthem was not an option," he said.

"We asked for the Star Spangled Banner and that's what we expected. No matter what her reasons for taking this action and deliberately withholding her plans from event organizers, she absolutely chose the wrong time and place to do it. She knew what the city's expectations were, and she was dishonest about her intentions."

Baby Lee
07-03-2008, 10:42 AM
You expressed my point much more eloquently that I did.

Totally agree this was inappropriate given the event and occasion. However, I'm glad I live in a country where someone can do something like this should they choose to do so and not get stoned for it.

Everyone might not like it (myself included), but I would hope that everyone would keep an open mind and fight off the immediate urge or negativity towards the woman or the choice she made.

See the councilman who said, "I almost walked off stage". F#cking please. Grow up, be an adult and afford that woman the same rights you take for granted and enjoy yourself.

I'm sure there's been times when Mr. Charlie Brown said something that not everyone agreed with and he wasn't berated for it.

Some folks across the country don't agree with the Arrowhead faithful inserting "CHIEFS" at the end of the anthem - BUT we in KC don't consider it disrespectful, just a tradition and part of our expression of not only the anthem, but how we relate to it as part of our homefield advantage.

What this woman did isn't so different from what we do at every Arrowhead home game if you think about it in those terms.

Seems like berating someone or walking off a stage in protest is free speech, too. . .

stlchiefs
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
See my post after the one you quoted.

I expanded my thoughts there a bit.

You're still missing the point. For some reason you are hung up on this "freedom" thing, but are grasping for straws. No one is trying to say this song can't be sung or that anyone who sings it should be locked up, but rather this was the wrong time and place and an utter show of disrespect to those who gave her the opportunity to sing the National Anthem as an opening to the speech.

Just like any job, if you are contracted to do a specific job and you perform with completely different work just because you like the other idea better then the hiring party is going to be rightly upset. I don't know who your boss or clients are, but try turning in work that's completely different than they ask for sometime and see how it works out for you.

tomahawk kid
07-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Seems like berating someone or walking off a stage in protest is free speech, too. . .

It most definitely is - my point is that EVERYONE (including some on this board) have used there own rights to say or do something that probably wasn't the most popular thing to do at the time.

I'd venture to bet that if someone else reacted to their actions by berated them or took a similar act akin to "walking off stage" they'd defend said actions as their "freedom of speech.

In other words: Some folks like freedom of speech when they use it themselves and expect others to respect their rights. They don't so much when the shoes on the other foot.

It's akin to someone seeing a news story about a murder and wanting to "fry" the suspect on the spot without due process, but then crying "I HAVE RIGHTS" when the local PD tries to strong arm them on a speeding ticket.

tomahawk kid
07-03-2008, 10:50 AM
You're still missing the point. For some reason you are hung up on this "freedom" thing, but are grasping for straws. No one is trying to say this song can't be sung or that anyone who sings it should be locked up, but rather this was the wrong time and place and an utter show of disrespect to those who gave her the opportunity to sing the National Anthem as an opening to the speech.

Just like any job, if you are contracted to do a specific job and you perform with completely different work just because you like the other idea better then the hiring party is going to be rightly upset. I don't know who your boss or clients are, but try turning in work that's completely different than they ask for sometime and see how it works out for you.

I didn't miss the point and stated so specifically in that post.

I don't particularly care for what this woman did either - not at all actually.

BUT - I'm glad you think I'm "hung up on this ""freedom"" thing". I am.

It's one of the many things that makes this country great.

stlchiefs
07-03-2008, 10:52 AM
It most definitely is - my point is that EVERYONE (including some on this board) have used there own rights to say or do something that probably wasn't the most popular thing to do at the time.

I'd venture to bet that if someone else reacted to their actions by berated them or took a similar act akin to "walking off stage" they'd defend said actions as their "freedom of speech.

In other words: Some folks like freedom of speech when they use it themselves and expect others to respect their rights. They don't so much when the shoes on the other foot.

That's quite the opposite of what you said above when you stated: "See the councilman who said, "I almost walked off stage". F#cking please. Grow up, be an adult and afford that woman the same rights you take for granted and enjoy yourself."

The above statement seems to be you implying the guy should suck it up and is immature if he even talks about walking, but everyone should stand there and listen to this pompous singer while she makes a national song all about herself and her terrible life.

Sully
07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Hickenlooper didn't know about it:

Hickenlooper held a news conference Wednesday where he appeared upset and irritated.

He said the singer, Rene Marie, "deceived us."

"We all respect artistic license and support freedom of expression. But in a tradition-laden civic ceremony that included a law enforcement color guard presenting our flags and the Pledge of Allegiance -- making a personal substitution for the national anthem was not an option," he said.

"We asked for the Star Spangled Banner and that's what we expected. No matter what her reasons for taking this action and deliberately withholding her plans from event organizers, she absolutely chose the wrong time and place to do it. She knew what the city's expectations were, and she was dishonest about her intentions."

Thanks.
I misread the OP.
It was just plain a dumbass move, then. I'd even understand if she were singing it in some sort of protest, but that doesn't seem to be the case, at this point.

tomahawk kid
07-03-2008, 10:54 AM

EDIT: If she was paid or contracted to sing the Star Spangled Banner (and chose the other song, I'd probably feel a little differently about it.

Again - NOT agreeing with her specific act. I'm speaking more to the disconnect most people have with their own application of our rights and the applications of others.

That's all I'm saying......

stlchiefs
07-03-2008, 10:55 AM
I didn't miss the point and stated so specifically in that post.

I don't particularly care for what this woman did either - not at all actually.

BUT - I'm glad you think I'm "hung up on this ""freedom"" thing". I am.

It's one of the many things that makes this country great.

You are hung up on it to the point you don't understand what it is and invoke it where it's not even applicable. Nobody is trying to take away the woman's rights or jail her for this, but rather they are stating their anger with her actions in performing a hired service. One is a constitutional right the other is performance of a contract/agreement. Her right to free speech is not even at issue here, what is at issue is the fact she did not perform the song she was hired to sing.

Donger
07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
EDIT: If she was paid or contracted to sing the Star Spangled Banner (and chose the other song, I'd probably feel a little differently about it.

She was.

Micjones
07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Bad decision on her part.
I'm not as anal about the SSB as some, but I do think she owed it to the organizers of the event to tell them what she had in mind.

tomahawk kid
07-03-2008, 11:03 AM
You are hung up on it to the point you don't understand what it is and invoke it where it's not even applicable. Nobody is trying to take away the woman's rights or jail her for this, but rather they are stating their anger with her actions in performing a hired service. One is a constitutional right the other is performance of a contract/agreement. Her right to free speech is not even at issue here, what is at issue is the fact she did not perform the song she was hired to sing.

Last thing I'm going to say about this and then I'll move on -

You're so worried that I'm not getting YOUR point, you're not listening to mine.

Not saying what she did was good or even permissible. If she was contracted for a job, and didn't perform up to the agreed upon task with the agreed upon parameters-that's one thing and not part of the larger issue I was waxing poetic about.

The larger issue that I was speaking to was rather the "anger" that people feel when they don't agree with someone's statement's / actions IN GENERAL, and the lack of self awareness that plays into that .

That's all.

Deberg_1990
07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Im surprised none of the organizers tried politely yanking her from the stage??

Guess they didnt want to cause a bigger scene.

tomahawk kid
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Bad decision on her part.
I'm not as anal about the SSB as some, but I do think she owed it to the organizers of the event to tell them what she had in mind.

Agreed. Especially bad if she intentially deceived them as the mayor indicated.

stlchiefs
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
The larger issue that I was speaking to was rather the "anger" that people feel when they don't agree with someone's statement's / actions IN GENERAL, and the lack of self awareness that plays into that .

I think you need to re-read the article and comments by the angry parties. They're not angry by the statements and what was said, but rather by the fact she sang a different song than what was agreed to.

Ex: "We asked for the Star Spangled Banner and that's what we expected. No matter what her reasons for taking this action and deliberately withholding her plans from event organizers, she absolutely chose the wrong time and place to do it. She knew what the city's expectations were, and she was dishonest about her intentions."

It's not the statements they disagreed with.

If for some reason you don't feel that people need to perform contracts and agreements on the terms they've agreed to, then I'd love to contract to sell you some ocean front property here in lovely St. Louis. This comes down to not living up to one's side of a bargain and wrong time wrong place. It's an additional slap in the face that she chose not to sing our National Anthem when it is normally sung, but rather decided to cite artistic license and make a song that is about our ENTIRE country, about HER alone.

chasedude
07-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Im surprised none of the organizers tried politely yanking her from the stage??

Guess they didnt want to cause a bigger scene.

Yeah, they could have turned her microphone off too.

tomahawk kid
07-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I think you need to re-read the article and comments by the angry parties. They're not angry by the statements and what was said, but rather by the fact she sang a different song than what was agreed to.

Ex: "We asked for the Star Spangled Banner and that's what we expected. No matter what her reasons for taking this action and deliberately withholding her plans from event organizers, she absolutely chose the wrong time and place to do it. She knew what the city's expectations were, and she was dishonest about her intentions."

It's not the statements they disagreed with.

If for some reason you don't feel that people need to perform contracts and agreements on the terms they've agreed to, then I'd love to contract to sell you some ocean front property here in lovely St. Louis. This comes down to not living up to one's side of a bargain and wrong time wrong place. It's an additional slap in the face that she chose not to sing our National Anthem when it is normally sung, but rather decided to cite artistic license and make a song that is about our ENTIRE country, about HER alone.

Ho....lee...shit dude.

Read my last 2 posts.

After that I can drive to St Louis and meet you in the nearest parking lot to see who can pee farther.........

Inspector
07-03-2008, 12:09 PM

Years ago I got hired to paint a guys house blue, but I painted it orange cause it was my way of expressing my feelings as a multi racial man about painting houses in my country.

stlchiefs
07-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Years ago I got hired to paint a guys house blue, but I painted it orange cause it was my way of expressing my feelings as a multi racial man about painting houses in my country.

I hope he didn't get angry about this. :p

Inspector
07-03-2008, 12:18 PM
I hope he didn't get angry about this. :p

He almost walked off the stage!!!

KC Kings
07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I am wondering, how many of you that are upset with her word replacement are the same ones that sing, "and the Home of the Chieeeeeeeefs"?

They had a saxaphone player do the National Anthem at the Royals vs. Giants game a few weeks ago. It was a great rendition of the anthem, right until the end when a bunch of people tried to yell Chiefs. I don't care if you replace the words, but don't try to guess when a jazz musician is going to hit the final note. The first mis-cue was bad enough, but people tried for 5 seconds to get "Chiefs" out and it sounded like ass.

CoMoChief
07-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Oh say can you see dawg?
By da Don's urlaaaay light
Wut so prowdly we helt

Valiant
07-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Can't really get mad when I yell home of the 'Chiefs' at chiefs games...

The Pedestrian
07-03-2008, 02:30 PM
I am wondering, how many of you that are upset with her word replacement are the same ones that sing, "and the Home of the Chieeeeeeeefs"?

They had a saxaphone player do the National Anthem at the Royals vs. Giants game a few weeks ago. It was a great rendition of the anthem, right until the end when a bunch of people tried to yell Chiefs. I don't care if you replace the words, but don't try to guess when a jazz musician is going to hit the final note. The first mis-cue was bad enough, but people tried for 5 seconds to get "Chiefs" out and it sounded like ass.

People tried to add the "Chiefs" at a Royals game? I've been to tons of Royals games, and I don't believe I've ever heard fans do that. Regardless, it's still freedom of speech.

As for the part of it being contracted and expected...the expression was at and for a political event. While I don't agree with her reasoning or the repercussions thereof, it's still peaceful political speech/protest, which is protected by the First Amendment.

memyselfI
07-03-2008, 02:39 PM
She is just feeling the intoxication of power and the freedom that goes with it.

I'm sure when NObama takes office she/they will accept the reality that having one of them in the WH will mean diddly squat to them.

Demonpenz
07-03-2008, 02:43 PM
I hear CHIEFS at royals fans, but it is lower on the annoyance factor for me. The worst is I always have good seats and fans around me are always texting and not paying attention to the game. I give them a reminder when a lefty is up that you will eat a foul ball if you aren't paying attention.

sedated
07-03-2008, 02:52 PM
This chick should have just did what she was told.

Not because of respect for the national anthem, or because she was paid to sing one song and sang another. Just because she's black.

alpha_omega
07-03-2008, 02:57 PM

Ya...i didn't really like that either...save it for Sundays, IMO.

But...i will tell you that was one of the best Anthems i have ever heard (with or without vocals). That dude was awesome!

Adept Havelock
07-03-2008, 03:02 PM
She should have sung "To Anacreon In Heaven" if she felt she needed to change the lyrics.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9lYC0lBfkA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9lYC0lBfkA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CrazyPhuD
07-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Did she sing it in Ebonics? If so then it's ok. No one could have understood it anyway.

Micjones
07-03-2008, 04:00 PM
American people love to preserve the American ideas of freedom, until someone exercises one of them.
LMAO

Demonpenz
07-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Freedom of speech is one thing but to renege on your word is another.

Micjones
07-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Freedom of speech is one thing but to renege on your word is another.

And that's the part I take issue with, but this conversation split into two smaller conversations a while back. It became a discussion about her overall disregard for the symbol of American liberty that we call the Star-Spangled Banner.

People want to cut off her access to the First Amendment rights...
The very freedom that the song embodies in the first place.

Pitt Gorilla
07-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I would have definitely walked off, in a VERY loud fashion. That is bs, the national anthem is not your song of choice, it is an established song. Focking bullchit.Exactly. You should hear all of these assholes say "Chiefs" at the end, instead of brave. It is an established song!!!1

Pitt Gorilla
07-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Can't really get mad when I yell home of the 'Chiefs' at chiefs games...Eh, I guess this was already covered.

bowener
07-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Total BS..

If she doesnt like Americas established customs and traditions, shes free to move to another country.

Good god, please end this argument. It needs to be taken out back and mercifully put down. If you think a necessary condition for a nation is clinging to traditions and customs, then you would find no free nations in the world. Islamic countries are the only countries I can think of where you are not allowed to differ from the traditions or customs.
If that were a necessary condition for a nation to exist then it would be rather difficult to have anything other than a fascist state. I also do not see the harm in singing something different, I would be much more ok with it if she sang the national anthem after her song (due to it being a government event), but the one she sang does not preach anything but good praises. It was not offensive in words, perhaps only since it was sung to the worn out and tired national anthem tune.
I love how people hate those who dont know the words, even though those who are mad generally do not know the other two verses. Also, our national anthem is sung to a british pub song... so majestic!
We over play over sing the damn thing to begin with. Why do we need to play it before games? They are games, hundreds per year for pro sports. Why do we need this? It just makes us numb to it anyway.

mikey23545
07-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Good god, please end this argument. It needs to be taken out back and mercifully put down. If you think a necessary condition for a nation is clinging to traditions and customs, then you would find no free nations in the world. Islamic countries are the only countries I can think of where you are not allowed to differ from the traditions or customs.
If that were a necessary condition for a nation to exist then it would be rather difficult to have anything other than a fascist state. I also do not see the harm in singing something different, I would be much more ok with it if she sang the national anthem after her song (due to it being a government event), but the one she sang does not preach anything but good praises. It was not offensive in words, perhaps only since it was sung to the worn out and tired national anthem tune.
I love how people hate those who dont know the words, even though those who are mad generally do not know the other two verses. Also, our national anthem is sung to a british pub song... so majestic!
We over play over sing the damn thing to begin with. Why do we need to play it before games? They are games, hundreds per year for pro sports. Why do we need this? It just makes us numb to it anyway.

You are a moron.
"Fascist state?" Who the hell said anything about this being a state or government issue? It's a matter of a black grandstanding idiot, and I didn't hear anyone suggest the state should arrest or punish her.

When you have been hired on to perform the national anthem, and the people in the crowd are expecting to hear the national anthem, guess what? You're a douchebag to substitute your own lyrics, end of argument. You want to draw attention to yourself, go stage your own event. (oops, that's right, no one would show up to see your sorry ass)

And as far as the "Home of the Chiefs" idiocy being spouted right and left in this thread...It is an incredibly stupid analogy since it's not the person hired to sing the song who is saying "Chiefs".

Micjones
07-03-2008, 06:45 PM
The argument is about the perceived value of the song.
If it can willfully be tampered with by 80,000 people in one stadium on a Sunday afternoon it doesn't have the majesty we continuously try to heave upon it.

Smed1065
07-03-2008, 07:15 PM
If it can willfully be tampered with by 80,000 people in one stadium on a Sunday afternoon it doesn't have the majesty we continuously try to heave upon it.

You might be right but most argue that it was a contract job. I can see both sides to it as well.

Pitt Gorilla
07-03-2008, 07:29 PM
You might be right but most argue that it was a contract job. I can see both sides to it as well.I think it's clear that she didn't fulfill the contract. I would have been upset had I heard a different version. However, it seems strange that it happens quite often (Chiefs games) and many people don't seem to mind.

Jenson71
07-03-2008, 07:40 PM
I prefer the Star Spangled Banner as straight and narrow as possible, thank you very much. Anything more, and the emphasis goes from the meaning and tradition behind the anthem to the person singing it.

Tiger's Fan
07-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Agreed. Especially bad if she intentially deceived them as the mayor indicated.

And yet you just spent, what, 5 posts defending her right to do so?

TEX
07-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Watch out - anyone who doesn't like this will be labeled a racist.:rolleyes:

KCTitus
07-03-2008, 10:43 PM
what happens if she sung whitey's natl anthem? nevermind...

Pitt Gorilla
07-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Watch out - anyone who doesn't like this will be labeled a racist.:rolleyes:Really? Did that happen?

Cntrygal
07-04-2008, 10:34 AM
She was hired to sing the anthem... then she should have sang the anthem. I hope that she doesn't get paid.

RedNeckRaider
07-04-2008, 10:44 AM

I have never cared for the "home of the Chiefs" at arrowhead and have always thought of it as a little disrespectful. That said it is a "Chiefs game" In this case white black whatever this person was paid to sing it and did not.

alnorth
07-04-2008, 11:36 AM
If I was the emcee for the event, then as soon as I got the mic back after this performance, I would have addressed the crowd with something like "thank you maam, for... whatever that was. Now, do we have anyone in the audience who would like to volunteer to sing the national anthem?" If not, I'd sing it myself.

Bob Dole
07-04-2008, 12:21 PM

Open mind? Was she invited to sing the Star Spangled Banner or not? You don't accept an invitation to do something specific and then just do whatever the **** you want.

If you invite Bob Dole over for dinner and he cleans out your liquor cabinet and bangs your wife, Bob Dole hopes you'll keep an open mind about it.

Adept Havelock
07-04-2008, 12:32 PM
If I was the emcee for the event, then as soon as I got the mic back after this performance, I would have addressed the crowd with something like "thank you maam, for... whatever that was. Now, do we have anyone in the audience who would like to volunteer to sing the national anthem?" If not, I'd sing it myself.

Nice. :clap:

tomahawk kid
07-04-2008, 02:36 PM
And yet you just spent, what, 5 posts defending her right to do so?

Before I realized she was contracted to do so, thank you very much.

i was trying to speak of the larger issue of a persons first amendment rights v how they perceive other rights and their reaction to that perception.

After realized that their was a contract and perhaps deception involved, I somewhat backed off my initial stance.

tomahawk kid
07-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Open mind? Was she invited to sing the Star Spangled Banner or not? You don't accept an invitation to do something specific and then just do whatever the **** you want.

If you invite Bob Dole over for dinner and he cleans out your liquor cabinet and bangs your wife, Bob Dole hopes you'll keep an open mind about it.

Feel free to hit the liquor cabinet, but based on the photos I've seen I can almost guarantee my wife wouldn't occupy the same room with you.......

:p

Rausch
07-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Can't really get mad when I yell home of the 'Chiefs' at chiefs games...

There's a huge difference.

If the person honored to sing the anthem decided to put in in there him/herself I'd be pissed. You don't do that.

Race before nation is stupidity. In another 4 or 5 generations there won't be a pure anything anymore. It will have become irrelevant.

Baconeater
07-04-2008, 06:56 PM

He's a clown.

unothadeal
07-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Why on earth would you want to upset him?

http://www.seekunique.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/2316YoureInLoveCharlieBrownThumbnail.jpg

headsnap
07-04-2008, 09:35 PM
American people love to preserve the American ideas of freedom, until someone exercises one of them.
LMAO

freedom of speech goes both ways... ;)

Mr. Flopnuts
07-04-2008, 10:16 PM

Is this how he felt?

http://atlasapple.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg