PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports USSSA Rules question

KC Kings
07-03-2008, 12:30 PM
I know a lot of you coach, or have kids in USSSA, and I have searched other message boards and haven't had any luck finding an answer.

We are trying to field a 9U kid pitch team for fall ball. We play with Liberty Parks and Rec, and are not uber competitive team with kids that play only baseball year round, so we only have 7 that are interested. We have some kids from other teams that are willing to join on for fall ball, then go back to their regular teams in the spring.

My question is, this is a USSSA sanctioned team. League winners will receive a USSSA State berth for 2009. I know that USSSA does not allow kids to switch teams in the middle of a season, but is fall ball it's own seperate season or since the points count for a state berth for next year, is fall ball more like a preseason?

CoMoChief
07-03-2008, 12:34 PM
I'll go check the site.....

But from what I remember when I played (granted this was back in '95) Fall Ball really didn't mean anything more than just more games more experience. So another words more of like a preseason league.

BigRedChief
07-03-2008, 12:36 PM
I know a lot of you coach, or have kids in USSSA, and I have searched other message boards and haven't had any luck finding an answer.

We are trying to field a 9U kid pitch team for fall ball. We play with Liberty Parks and Rec, and are not uber competitive team with kids that play only baseball year round, so we only have 7 that are interested. We have some kids from other teams that are willing to join on for fall ball, then go back to their regular teams in the spring.

My question is, this is a USSSA sanctioned team. League winners will receive a USSSA State berth for 2009. I know that USSSA does not allow kids to switch teams in the middle of a season, but is fall ball it's own seperate season or since the points count for a state berth for next year, is fall ball more like a preseason?
You have to register the team with USSSA. The Fall season points do count towards the summer season but they are tied to the manager. So if your team breaks up the manager would get to take the points with him to the new team. We were the #1 ranked team in the state last fall heading into this season but my son wanted to go play rec ball so we dropped the team. Several coaches wanted me to come with them and coach so they could get the USSSA points.

All players are free agents on January 1st of each year.

If you are really wanting to go competitve next year my suggestion would be to try to put together a team for next year now. See how the kids mesh.

Remember if your kids are 9 now they have to play in the 10 year old league in the fall.

CoMoChief
07-03-2008, 12:37 PM
shit nevermind, you gotta be a member i think.

BigRedChief
07-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sure this is public information. This is Jay Baxter the Director of the Missouri chapter of USSSA. He also runs KC sports. I sent you a link via pm to my teams website. Look at the resources page. Lots of good info in there.

816-587-4545
816-587-4549 fax

KC Kings
07-03-2008, 12:48 PM
You have to register the team with USSSA. The Fall season points do count towards the summer season but they are tied to the manager. So if your team breaks up the manager would get to take the points with him to the new team. We were the #1 ranked team in the state last fall heading into this season but my son wanted to go play rec ball so we dropped the team. Several coaches wanted me to come with them and coach so they could get the USSSA points.

All players are free agents on January 1st of each year.

If you are really wanting to go competitve next year my suggestion would be to try to put together a team for next year now. See how the kids mesh.

Remember if your kids are 9 now they have to play in the 10 year old league in the fall.

We just got done with an 8U competitive machine pitch league. We finished 2nd out of 12 teams, but north of the river the North Kansas City league and Northland Sports Alliance are the stud leagues. So we are competitive, but not like other competitive leagues.

We want to get the kids a head start into kid pitch for next year since it is a completely different game, but several kids play tackle football and have Mon-Fri practices and can't commit to fall ball.

Is the manager the same as the head coach, or can they be seperate?

BigRedChief
07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
We just got done with an 8U competitive machine pitch league. We finished 2nd out of 12 teams, but north of the river the North Kansas City league and Northland Sports Alliance are the stud leagues. So we are competitive, but not like other competitive leagues.

We want to get the kids a head start into kid pitch for next year since it is a completely different game, but several kids play tackle football and have Mon-Fri practices and can't commit to fall ball.

Is the manager the same as the head coach, or can they be seperate?

The "Manager" is whoever registers the team. He's the one that the points stay with.

Every good baseball team has kids playing football. Probably 50% - 75% of your team will always be playing football. Baseball games are double headers on the weekends. Usually only 8-10 games. So if you only practice once or twice you only have a committment of 5-6 days for all of the fall season.

I've got one of those sliding mats that kids that age can practice their sliding on without hurting themselfs. If your interested give me a shout.

KC Kings
07-03-2008, 03:09 PM
The "Manager" is whoever registers the team. He's the one that the points stay with.

Every good baseball team has kids playing football. Probably 50% - 75% of your team will always be playing football. Baseball games are double headers on the weekends. Usually only 8-10 games. So if you only practice once or twice you only have a committment of 5-6 days for all of the fall season.

I've got one of those sliding mats that kids that age can practice their sliding on without hurting themselfs. If your interested give me a shout.

We pay for the team through Liberty Parks and Rec, and they register us. There are three coaches incliding myself that have head coached and different times and have had our kids onthe same team since kindergarted, so we are more of a conglomerate. We need to make sure we have the same manager for both seasons since we trade off at the head coach position.

BigRedChief
07-03-2008, 03:15 PM
We pay for the team through Liberty Parks and Rec, and they register us. There are three coaches incliding myself that have head coached and different times and have had our kids onthe same team since kindergarted, so we are more of a conglomerate. We need to make sure we have the same manager for both seasons since we trade off at the head coach position.
Yep, it doesn't really matter who the "Head Coach" is in real life. It only comes into play if a team breaks up or the "Manager/Head Coach" gets pissed off at something and starts his own team.

Liberty is a pretty with it organization. They got some good teams up there. Play in a few tournaments this fall. See if your parents and their sons are ready to spend all weekend at a ball field.

tooge
07-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Maybe a bit off subject. we live in Liberty. My son is 6yo and is a baseball fanatic. It is all he wants to do when I get home. He is small for his age but just finished T ball and seems to be leaps and bounds better as far as understanding the game and execution than the other kids on the team. He is able to hit my overhand throws from about 25 feet away fairly easily. but, he also likes football. So, do I enroll him in fall ball, and if so, what skill level? Coach pitch? Machine pitch? Or do I let him try flag football or tackle for this fall to see if he likes it as much as baseball? I am not an advocate of 2 sports at a time for kids, just my opinion. I want him to have time to just goof off around the property. You know, fish, build forts, etc. Any advice from someone who has been there done that?