PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Movie: There Will Be Blood

John_Wayne
07-03-2008, 11:19 PM
What was that? </PRE>
After 2 1/2 hours, I'm totally confused. I thought that movie was highly acclaimed? </PRE>
Anyone care to explain?</PRE>
</PRE>
</PRE>
Before you ask, I'll tell you that I watched this movie at </PRE>
home on my TiVo. I can "rent" (download) movies from </PRE>
Amazon.com to my TiVo. I love this new feature!</PRE>

thurman merman
07-03-2008, 11:21 PM
i thought it sucked. incredibly overrated.

dj56dt58
07-03-2008, 11:25 PM
where was all the ****in blood?

SNR
07-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Well, you're a giant tool. That's why you are unable to understand something this great.

thurman merman
07-03-2008, 11:34 PM
where was all the ****in blood?

yeah, seriously. why was it even rated R? there was minimal blood, minimal language, no sex or nudity.

greg63
07-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Well, you're a giant tool. That's why you are unable to understand something this great.

Just seeing if my :nosmilie: still works. :D

John_Wayne
07-03-2008, 11:53 PM
That was a waste of 2 1/2 hours. Next I'm going to watch No Country For Old Men. I hope that isn't overrated as well.

Tribal Warfare
07-04-2008, 12:00 AM
T No Country For Old Men. I hope that isn't overrated as well.

unfortunately, yes that one is overrated also

John_Wayne
07-04-2008, 12:01 AM
unfortunately, yes that one is overrated also Really? Why? How? Explain without giving any spoilers.

Tribal Warfare
07-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Really? Why? How? Explain without giving any spoilers.

It's really slow paced and no real plot, basically it's about a Psychopath hunting down someone who has alot of "dirty money". I was really hoping to be awe struck by this, but it was rather bland plot/scriptwise .

QuikSsurfer
07-04-2008, 12:12 AM
There Will Be Blood >>>>> No Country for Old Men

Don't bother watching it.

Sucks you didn't enjoy TWBB. I thought it was an incredible movie.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 12:16 AM
no country for old men is a thousand times better than there will be blood, in my opinion.

everybody has different taste in movies, though. so i don't know why we even bother.

Ari Chi3fs
07-04-2008, 12:20 AM
This is surprising that Quik loves it. He must like milkshakes.

SNR
07-04-2008, 12:25 AM
The character of Daniel Plainview is so incredibly deep in a significant yet simple way. We discover it from the beginning of the movie and all of the events of the story serve as continual evidence in a kind of snowball-down-a-hill way.

I was expecting the same of the killer in No Country For Old Men, but never got it. All I got was that he was crazy, but not why.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 12:33 AM
also, can anybody think of any movie ever made with worse music than this one?

SNR
07-04-2008, 12:45 AM
also, can anybody think of any movie ever made with worse music than this one?Okay, you're being ridiculous now. What's wrong with the film score to TWBB? It ties in perfectly. Were you expecting a guy who sucks Hans Zimmer's dick to pull out another retarded Pirates of the Carribean score or what?

DaneMcCloud
07-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Okay, you're being ridiculous now. What's wrong with the film score to TWBB? It ties in perfectly. Were you expecting a guy who sucks Hans Zimmer's dick to pull out another retarded Pirates of the Carribean score or what?

Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead scored There Will Be Blood

QuikSsurfer
07-04-2008, 12:52 AM
This is surprising that Quik loves it. He must like milkshakes.

Simple minds.

SNR
07-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead scored There Will Be BloodHe did a good job. I'm usually not a fan of minimalism, but I allow exceptions for film scores. And this one is particularly well done.

Plus, gotta love the Brahms violin concerto for the credits. Nice touch. :thumb:

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Okay, you're being ridiculous now. What's wrong with the film score to TWBB?

it is absolutely atrocious. i watched the movie with 5 other people, and they all thought the same thing.

also these folks seem to agree:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469494/board/flat/100709871?p=1

SNR
07-04-2008, 01:19 AM
it is absolutely atrocious. i watched the movie with 5 other people, and they all thought the same thing.

also these folks seem to agree:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469494/board/flat/100709871?p=1I'm not going to browse through 8000 comments to figure out why you don't like something when you can just tell me straight up.

Tell me something besides "it sucks". If you're referring to the opening of the movie with the chromatic slides in the strings, are you just unable to grasp your ear around non-tonal music? It happens quite a bit more often in film scores than you'd think, actually.

SNR
07-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Well, I went against my better judgement and started browsing comments in that link, thurman. Sure enough, I got plenty of "it's too dark and funeral like and overbearing" and "music scores should be subtle and in the background" and I even got a Hans Zimmer retard comment.

All of which is wrong. If the music in a movie is subtle, then it never gets noticed now, does it? Then how can it be recognized as good when nobody gives a shit? Think Star Wars and other John Williams films. People will describe the music as "subtle" and yet it's totally not. It has its share of non-tonal writing so that people who find that kind of music annoying wouldn't be able to listen to a CD of just the film music. Also, it makes use of leitmotifs and other modern compositional devices that add to a score's complexity and makes it a more worthy piece to just sit down and listen to by itself.

In There Will Be Blood (though I've only seen it once) the music goes through a few themes in the first hour before they start mimicking each other. That's a good movie score... it's comprehensive and if there is a particular section that's exploited, it's because it follows the action of the plot.

SNR
07-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Oh, and JMO, of course.

Miles
07-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Oh, and JMO, of course.

Which happens to be the correct one ;)

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 01:41 AM
If you're referring to the opening of the movie with the chromatic slides in the strings, are you just unable to grasp your ear around non-tonal music? It happens quite a bit more often in film scores than you'd think, actually.

WTF? i'm not a music major. i just didn't like it.

DaneMcCloud
07-04-2008, 01:47 AM
I haven't seen the movie and I haven't heard the score.

I'm not a fan of Radiohead (whatsoever) but I feel their music is utilitarian, drab and uninteresting. It sounds like I wouldn't like the score, on its own.

But for all I know, the score he created fits each scene perfectly and makes the movie even more intense and dramatic. If a movie score stands out too much on its own, often times, it can overshadow the movie.

SNR
07-04-2008, 01:51 AM
WTF? i'm not a music major. i just didn't like it.So you're saying you just don't like music of its kind, then? That's different from calling the music atrocious.

SNR
07-04-2008, 01:54 AM
If a movie score stands out too much on its own, often times, it can overshadow the movie.I agree, but I don't think that's the case in this movie. When the music IS above the action in the movie, it's because there's not much action happening at all, in which case the mood is the important part.

DaneMcCloud
07-04-2008, 01:59 AM
I agree, but I don't think that's the case in this movie. When the music IS above the action in the movie, it's because there's not much action happening at all, in which case the mood is the important part.

I'm sure it's not. That was my point. Radiohead and Jonny Greenwood are very understated. Not my bag but certainly not grandiose.

I'm absolutely certain that since PT Anderson is a known perfectionist, the music fits his uncompromising vision.

Keep in mind, it's the whole experience, not just an actor, DP, director or composer.

It's the sum of all of those parts (and more) that make for a great movie.

Otter
07-04-2008, 04:08 AM
I haven't seen the movie but coming from the guy who insisted on starting the Sopranos Thread every season and your best input being "Meadow's Hot" I hope you don't mind if I take your point of view with a grain of salt.

Baby Lee
07-04-2008, 05:39 AM
I'm not a fan of Radiohead (whatsoever)
Dead . . . to . . . Me.

Chieficus
07-04-2008, 08:41 AM
What was that? </PRE>
After 2 1/2 hours, I'm totally confused.

It's basically a story about the corrupting nature of power mixed with greed set in the historical backdrop of the oil boom. It follows two main characters: Daniel and Eli, and shows how each in their own way seek to come out on top, the manipulations they'll do to get there, and the destructive cost to self, family, etc.

It's not one of my "rush out and buy this DVD" favorites, but I really enjoyed the movie.

John_Wayne
07-04-2008, 10:36 AM
I kept waiting and waiting for something to happen in this movie. I kept thinking there would be some big payoff at the end. I was really let down and confused. I wouldn't watch it again. I thought the story would be better. I understand that they were competing agianst each other and the main character was driven mad by power and greed, but I just was left waiting for more. There's no way it should have been considered for best picture.

|Zach|
07-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I kept waiting and waiting for something to happen in this movie. I kept thinking there would be some big payoff at the end. I was really let down and confused. I wouldn't watch it again. I thought the story would be better. I understand that they were competing agianst each other and the main character was driven mad by power and greed, but I just was left waiting for more. There's no way it should have been considered for best picture.

Rambo seems more your style.

Reaper16
07-04-2008, 11:11 AM
There Will Be Blood was the best film of 2007.

Count Zarth
07-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I hear Gunther_Fan loved Independence Day.

irishjayhawk
07-04-2008, 11:47 AM

To be honest, you seem to be a great representation of main stream American viewers.

And it's sad.

irishjayhawk
07-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Okay, you're being ridiculous now. What's wrong with the film score to TWBB? It ties in perfectly. Were you expecting a guy who sucks Hans Zimmer's dick to pull out another retarded Pirates of the Carribean score or what?

Not all that comes out of Hans Zimmer's studio is bad. I used to like Zimmer until I realized that all of his scores after Gladiator STEM from Gladiator. Pirates is a direct copy off of Gladiator's The Battle.

Things that have come out of Zimmer's studio that are nice:

The Rock (Zimmer himself)
Batman Begins (James Newton Howard)
Equilibrium (Klaus Badelt)

dj56dt58
07-04-2008, 12:14 PM
imo if you go into it not thinking you know what its going to be about, it's a good movie. I didn't like it when i watched it but not knowing what it was about, I thought it was going to be a bloody gory movie, and the music they play is like a build up to a gory bloody scary movie, but instead its about oil. Now that I think about it, it was a good movie, just not what I expected.

as for no county for old men, I thought that was a great movie..aside from the ending which pissed me off

KCChiefsMan
07-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I liked both No Country and TWBB. No Country is the best movie I've seen in years and loved it!

Deberg_1990
07-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Not all that comes out of Hans Zimmer's studio is bad. I used to like Zimmer until I realized that all of his scores after Gladiator STEM from Gladiator.

Actually, all his Bruckheimer scores sound like variations of his "Crimson Tide" score.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 03:29 PM
So you're saying you just don't like music of its kind, then? That's different from calling the music atrocious.

i don't like it cause it sounds like shit.

SNR
07-04-2008, 09:02 PM
i don't like it cause it sounds like shit.Well, awesome. You typing in all lower case letters makes you sound stupid, so I'm going to assume you're an idiot, then.

irishjayhawk
07-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Well, awesome. You typing in all lower case letters makes you sound stupid, so I'm going to assume you're an idiot, then.

Wouldn't it be LOOK stupid? o:-):p

SNR
07-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Wouldn't it be LOOK stupid? o:-):pYeah, I tried to tie it in with his comment about the music. Probably should have stuck with the word that made sense.

irishjayhawk
07-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I tried to tie it in with his comment about the music. Probably should have stuck with the word that made sense.

Out of curiosity, what do you think about my post above with respect to Zimmer?

SNR
07-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Out of curiosity, what do you think about my post above with respect to Zimmer?Well, my original point with regards to Zimmer was there are an overwhelming number of stupid people who love the music to Pirates and go out and buy the soundtrack themselves. That's fine and dandy, but then they laud it as fantastic film music. These are also the same people who say stuff like "the music shouldn't overpower the movie." I'm calling bullshit on THAT, because there are several movies where Zimmer doesn't do his duties as a film composer (to enhance the film) all while creating a "great film score". That's a contradiction.

The only movies I've seen from the list in your last post was Gladiator, and that was okay I thought. I like something like There Will Be Blood better, but there's nothing wrong with what he did in Gladiator. It fit just fine.

Reaper16
07-04-2008, 11:02 PM
imo if you go into it not thinking you know what its going to be about, it's a good movie. I didn't like it when i watched it but not knowing what it was about, I thought it was going to be a bloody gory movie, and the music they play is like a build up to a gory bloody scary movie, but instead its about oil. Now that I think about it, it was a good movie, just not what I expected.

as for no county for old men, I thought that was a great movie..aside from the ending which pissed me off
Arrrrrrggghhhh

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Well, awesome. You typing in all lower case letters makes you sound stupid, so I'm going to assume you're an idiot, then.

oh, ouch. i don't use capital letters when typing important thesis papers on football forums. i must be an idiot.

irishjayhawk
07-04-2008, 11:26 PM
oh, ouch. i don't use capital letters when typing important thesis papers on football forums. i must be an idiot.

So you're saying you're lazy? So lazy as not to push the shift button when necessary?

Are you one of those people that prefers to tap rather than swipe their credit card? You know, with that paypass.

I jest. o:-)

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 11:28 PM
So you're saying you're lazy? So lazy as not to push the shift button when necessary?

Are you one of those people that prefers to tap rather than swipe their credit card? You know, with that paypass.

I jest. o:-)

yeah i guess i am lazy. i'm glad you can still understand what i am typing even though i'm not pressing the shift key, though.

it's always nice to hear people on the internet call me stupid because i disagree with them in lower case letters.

SNR
07-04-2008, 11:29 PM
oh, ouch. i don't use capital letters when typing important thesis papers on football forums. i must be an idiot.You must be. It looks like shit to me, so therefore you must be a piece of shit, right? If some pieces of shit type in lowercase letters on a football forum and you're typing in lowercase letters on a football forum, that means you're a piece of shit.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 11:36 PM
You must be. It looks like shit to me, so therefore you must be a piece of shit, right? If some pieces of shit type in lowercase letters on a football forum and you're typing in lowercase letters on a football forum, that means you're a piece of shit.

all these harsh words because i don't like the music in a movie? man...i'd hate to see how you react to real problems in your life.

SNR
07-04-2008, 11:40 PM
all these harsh words because i don't like the music in a movie? man...i'd hate to see how you react to real problems in your life.I'm just trying to follow your logic. I asked you if you didn't like the music or just didn't like music of its type and you said, "I think it's shit" or something to that effect.

Because I think typing in lowercase looks stupid. Now do I think lowercase typing is stupid or is it just the person who types in lowercase that looks stupid?

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm just trying to follow your logic. I asked you if you didn't like the music or just didn't like music of its type and you said, "I think it's shit" or something to that effect.

Because I think typing in lowercase looks stupid. Now do I think lowercase typing is stupid or is it just the person who types in lowercase that looks stupid?

yeah, i get it dude.

i don't understand why you care so much what i think of the music in a movie.

have you never met anyone who had different taste than you before or something?

why is it so shocking that i don't like this music?

SNR
07-04-2008, 11:47 PM
have you never met anyone who had different taste than you before or something?
Nearly all people I meet have different tastes in music than I do. Why does that matter? You still didn't answer my question.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Hey, SNR, I love film music. I can't get enough of it. Check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Magnificent-Westerns/dp/B000CQO19S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215268561&sr=8-1

|Zach|
07-05-2008, 09:06 AM
I am not a much of a movie buff like others but my favorite music for a film ever was from the movie Gattaca. By Micheal Nyman.

http://www.amazon.com/Gattaca-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B000000WF9

KC_Connection
07-06-2008, 07:55 AM
To be honest, you seem to be a great representation of main stream American viewers.

And it's sad.
Indeed.

There Will Be Blood was a fantastic movie. I haven't seen one from '07 yet that was better.

Dave Lane
07-06-2008, 09:16 AM
That was a waste of 2 1/2 hours. Next I'm going to watch No Country For Old Men. I hope that isn't overrated as well.

That was the worst movie in the history of movies! Like There will be blood but without a story line.

Dave

Thig Lyfe
07-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Pretty much.

Thig Lyfe
07-06-2008, 11:23 AM
That was the worst movie in the history of movies! Like There will be blood but without a story line.

Dave

Fail.

Reaper16
07-06-2008, 12:37 PM

Dave
Wait, what?