Joey Chestnut (US) - reigning champ

v.

Kobayashi (Japan)

HolmeZz
07-04-2008, 10:59 AM
They had to go to a dog-off.

Bowser
07-04-2008, 11:00 AM
How do these guys not spew pig ass all over the place when this is done?

Mecca
07-04-2008, 11:06 AM
So who won?

HolmeZz
07-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Chestnut squeaked out a victory in the dog-off.

stlchiefs
07-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Chestnut retained the mustard colored belt in a Dog Off: they tied after 10 minutes with 59 dogs each, so they brought out 5 more dogs and the 1st to finish them was the winner.

Mecca
07-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Obviously the Japanese guys bad jaw cost him.

stlchiefs
07-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Obviously the Japanese guys bad jaw cost him.

The announcing was hilarious. In a completely serious voice they stated, "Kobayashi's jaw must not be hurting him to bad today, he must have been taking his glucosamine."

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2008, 11:50 AM
59? I'd puke before I got to 20.

Fruit Ninja
07-04-2008, 11:54 AM
59? I'd puke before I got to 20.

I would puke at about 7-8 lol

Buehler445
07-04-2008, 03:40 PM
The girl caught some of this when she turned on the TV. :Lin:

Holy cow that is freaking disgusting.

KCFalcon59
07-04-2009, 10:04 AM
The rematch. Can Joey Chestnut do it again??

CHENZ A!
07-04-2009, 10:32 AM
DO IT FOR AMERICA JOEY CHESTNUTS!!!!!

kstater
07-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Half way through, USA is bombing Japan.

kstater
07-04-2009, 10:51 AM
USA USA USA

KCFalcon59
07-04-2009, 10:53 AM
68!!! JFC!!!!

luv
07-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Rerun already?

Frazod
07-04-2009, 11:02 AM
They really should remove the "S" from ESPN.

Hot dog eating? Really?

Of course, I guess it goes well with golf, poker and NASCAR. :shake:

KCFalcon59
07-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Do these guys throw it all back up afterwards? I'd imagine if they didn't they would feel like shit for the next couple days.

Baconeater
07-04-2009, 11:03 AM
The girl caught some of this when she turned on the TV. :Lin:

Holy cow that is freaking disgusting.
This. I can't believe anyone can watch it.

milkman
07-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Hot dog eating? Really?

Don't forget the spelling bee.

Short Leash Hootie
07-04-2009, 01:02 PM
if Frazod doesn't think golf is a sport he's just bitter because he can't do it...

Frazod
07-04-2009, 01:32 PM
if Frazod doesn't think golf is a sport he's just bitter because he can't do it...

Actually, I've never bothered to try. I've always found watching it to be coma inducing enough.

But I have no doubt that I can ride in an electric cart and swing a stick at a little white ball just like any other fat middle-aged man.

Short Leash Hootie
07-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Actually, I've never bothered to try. I've always found watching it to be coma inducing enough.

But I have no doubt that I can ride in an electric cart and swing a stick at a little white ball just like any other fat middle-aged man.

and you may break 100...on the front 9

JuicesFlowing
07-04-2009, 01:41 PM

Hot dog eating? Really?

Couldn't have said it better, because you CAN be 50 years old, overweight and be an "athlete" ...

Frazod
07-04-2009, 01:52 PM
and you may break 100...on the front 9

Who gives a shit? Do you really think your punk ass going golf snob on me makes me care? Sorry. LMAO

Golf is an ACTIVITY. Like pool, or darts, or bowling. Like those other activities, skill is involved to be good. Doesn't make them sports.

JuicesFlowing
07-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Who gives a shit? Do you really think your punk ass going golf snob on me makes me care? Sorry. LMAO

Golf is an ACTIVITY. Like pool, or darts, or bowling. Like those other activities, skill is involved to be good. Doesn't make them sports.

I'm glad that someone on this earth agrees with me about this. I have no idea where golf ever got the label of "sport" ... it's ridiculous. I suppose being a referee is also a sport. Playing billiards! No. Um ... lawn darts! That's athleticism also! No. Croquet! Yes! No ... Golf is just the same.

Shag
07-04-2009, 03:37 PM

I'm glad that someone on this earth agrees with me about this. I have no idea where golf ever got the label of "sport" ... it's ridiculous. I suppose being a referee is also a sport. Playing billiards! No. Um ... lawn darts! That's athleticism also! No. Croquet! Yes! No ... Golf is just the same.

So, then, what's your qualification for a sport?

Ultra Peanut
07-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Joey Chestnut killed sport.

Macroach
07-04-2009, 04:45 PM
So, then, what's your qualification for a sport?

Sport requires athletes competing against other athletes. Specifically, athletes trying to achieve an objective (score a goal, TD, run,) while other athletes try to prevent this from happening. So this would make Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, and even Futbol sports. Even tennis qualifies, I suppose.

An activity is something that may require skill and athletic ability, but is differentiated from sport in that no one is trying to prevent you from reaching your objective. Golf, bowling, Jarts. You are trying to bowl a strike or put the ball in the cup, but no one is stopping you from doing it. It's up to you, and you alone to post a number.

I love to golf and have a low handicap, but I still think this way.

Or something like that. :eek:

Kyle DeLexus
07-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Sport requires athletes competing against other athletes. Specifically, athletes trying to achieve an objective (score a goal, TD, run,) while other athletes try to prevent this from happening. So this would make Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, and even Futbol sports. Even tennis qualifies, I suppose.

An activity is something that may require skill and athletic ability, but is differentiated from sport in that no one is trying to prevent you from reaching your objective. Golf, bowling, Jarts. You are trying to bowl a strike or put the ball in the cup, but no one is stopping you from doing it. It's up to you, and you alone to post a number.

So track and field and other olympic events are just activities....good to know. I mean when you throw a jav or discus no one is trying to prevent you from throwing. Even in races no one is trying to prevent you from crossing the finish line. Same goes with swimming. They would be about the same as golf in that someone is competing against someone else but no one is on defense.

JuicesFlowing
07-04-2009, 04:57 PM
So track and field and other olympic events are just activities....good to know. I mean when you throw a jav or discus no one is trying to prevent you from throwing. Even in races no one is trying to prevent you from crossing the finish line. Same goes with swimming. They would be about the same as golf in that someone is competing against someone else but no one is on defense.

True, but I still prefer my definition: if you are obese and can compete, then it's not a sport. Sorry: Golf, Darts, Ping Pong, Croquet, Chess, Lawn Darts, Kite Flying, Hot Dog Eating, etc ....

Kyle DeLexus
07-04-2009, 05:01 PM
True, but I still prefer my definition: if you are obese and can compete, then it's not a sport. Sorry: Golf, Darts, Ping Pong, Croquet, Chess, Lawn Darts, Kite Flying, Hot Dog Eating, etc ....

Sucks for Butterbean...why don't you go ahead and tell him when he boxes that it's not a sport, but when Sugar Shane throws down it's a sport.

Just Passin' By
07-04-2009, 05:03 PM

Fat guys play baseball, basketball and football. At the highest levels.

JuicesFlowing
07-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Fat guys play baseball, basketball and football. At the highest levels.

My objection is 99.9% against golf (as a "sport"). Yes, NFL linemen are talented and have my respect.

Kyle DeLexus
07-04-2009, 05:12 PM
My objection is 99.9% against golf (as a "sport"). Yes, NFL linemen are talented and have my respect.

What makes golf not a sport since your 2 objections thus far haven't held up?

JuicesFlowing
07-04-2009, 05:18 PM
What makes golf not a sport since your 2 objections thus far haven't held up?

Because you can be out of shape, even "old" to play golf. You can't be out of shape to be an "athlete" in any other "sport" ....... Frazod seems to know what I'm talking about.

Kyle DeLexus
07-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Because you can be out of shape, even "old" to play golf. You can't be out of shape to be an "athlete" in any other "sport" ....... Frazod seems to know what I'm talking about.

I beg to differ. There are many old fat guys that play softball or touch football. Those are sports. Does it help if your athletic and in shape, yes it helps in just about anything you do, but you can still take part in almost any sport as an old fat guy.

JuicesFlowing
07-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I beg to differ. There are many old fat guys that play softball or touch football. Those are sports. Does it help if your athletic and in shape, yes it helps in just about anything you do, but you can still take part in almost any sport as an old fat guy.

Ok, so "sport" is now defined as any game that can be played, to any physical capacity. My fault then, you win. Bowlers are equal to NFL Linebackers. Playstation gamers are equally talented. Oh wait ...

Kyle DeLexus
07-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Ok, so "sport" is now defined as any game that can be played, to any physical capacity. My fault then, you win. Bowlers are equal to NFL Linebackers. Playstation gamers are equally talented. Oh wait ...

So your saying that baseball is not a sport? I know of plenty of fat guys that play in adult leagues. Is hockey not a sport? There are leagues for older players. How about basketball? Seems I see fat guys or old guys playing all the time at the gym. Are you trying to say that there is a age limit or physical talent limit on sport vs. game? Those that I mentioned earlier are what Macroach claimed were sports, yet people that are not athletic or people that are old participate in them all the time.

Ultra Peanut
07-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Ok, so "sport" is now defined as any game that can be played, to any physical capacity. My fault then, you win. Bowlers are equal to NFL Linebackers. Playstation gamers are equally talented. Oh wait ...Picking up a ball with your hands and running around like a ninny is NOT a sport.

JuicesFlowing
07-04-2009, 05:54 PM
So your saying that baseball is not a sport? I know of plenty of fat guys that play in adult leagues. Is hockey not a sport? There are leagues for older players. How about basketball? Seems I see fat guys or old guys playing all the time at the gym. Are you trying to say that there is a age limit or physical talent limit on sport vs. game? Those that I mentioned earlier are what Macroach claimed were sports, yet people that are not athletic or people that are old participate in them all the time.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. Hockey is a very physical sport, probably more than the NFL on a daily basis, I respect hockey a lot in that regard. If you will go back and read some of the earlier comments by Frazod an myself, then you will understand. Golf, bowling, hot dog eating ... these "games" by nature are not physically vigorous, not ATHLETIC ... But you don't understand this point. Yes, obese and old people can play ANYTHING, I know ... but that doesn't mean that what they do is athletic by nature. I guess what you are saying is that anything is a sport. Competition is a different concept than athleticism. But if you think golf is an athletic sport, that's fine. If you think 85 year old Gurtrude who bowled a 178 in her league is an "athlete" then fine. I think the definition of "athlete" reaches a bit farther than chain-smoking golfers. Take that for what it's worth. If you don't get the point, then fine.

Kyle DeLexus
07-04-2009, 06:05 PM
We are going to have to agree to disagree. Hockey is a very physical sport, probably more than the NFL on a daily basis, I respect hockey a lot in that regard. If you will go back and read some of the earlier comments by Frazod an myself, then you will understand. Golf, bowling, hot dog eating ... these "games" by nature are not physically vigorous, not ATHLETIC ... But you don't understand this point. Yes, obese and old people can play ANYTHING, I know ... but that doesn't mean that what they do is athletic by nature. I guess what you are saying is that anything is a sport. Competition is a different concept than athleticism. But if you think golf is an athletic sport, that's fine. If you think 85 year old Gurtrude who bowled a 178 in her league is an "athlete" then fine. I think the definition of "athlete" reaches a bit farther than chain-smoking golfers. Take that for what it's worth. If you don't get the point, then fine.

Here you go.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

Definition of sport.

In those definitions it says nothing that the participant must be an athlete to compete, only that it is a game that involved physical exertion. Is professional eating and a spelling bee a sport....HELL NO. Golf on the other hand is, to be a pro you must walk the course and you swing the club, both are physical exertions. Is it a very taxing activity, no, but it is a sport.

If you have your own definition that's fine and all, but come up with something that will argue against the actual definition before you say that something should not be categorized as such.

EDIT: I agree we probably should just agree to disagree :)

Ultra Peanut
07-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Athlete:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P6YL7sHWXag&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P6YL7sHWXag&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Not a sport.

Forever my hero:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fml8XCTkhwA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fml8XCTkhwA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sport.

Frazod
07-04-2009, 06:48 PM

Well, the next time a bunch of 70 year old retirees gather at your local country club to throw javelins, please let me know. :D

milkman
07-04-2009, 07:17 PM

Sounds very simlilar to the definition of sport I posted on the old Star board years ago, though I did suggest that sport had to include some sort of physical encounter.

I did qualify some things, such as tennis and gymnastics as athletic competitions.

Mecca
07-04-2009, 09:15 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rjKw8KZxUN0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rjKw8KZxUN0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>