PDA

View Full Version : Royals Royals vs. Rays - July 4

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 03:18 PM
let's get it started. what a shitty field. i can't believe they make major leaguers play there.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 03:23 PM
top first - dejesus extends hitting streak to 16 games, royals don't score.
bottom first - rays score on sacrifice fly with 1 out, bannister pitches like crap

Bowser
07-04-2008, 03:24 PM
bannister pitches like crap

What, again?

VonneMarie
07-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Seriously Buck.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 03:25 PM
john buck, who is inexplicably playing catcher again today instead of miguel olivo, just dropped a foul ball and knocked over a large video camera and cameraman.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 03:26 PM
now buck throws the ball into center field on a steal attempt. what a piece of shit. why the hell is miguel olivo not playing?!

VonneMarie
SERIOUSLY BUCK! ****

thurman merman
another base hit, 2-0 rays already. wtf is wrong with bannister? remember when he was good?

Bowser
07-04-2008, 03:27 PM
another base hit, 2-0 rays already. wtf is wrong with bannister? remember when he was good?

Not really. It's like trying to remember that real good dream you had three days ago.

VonneMarie
07-04-2008, 03:27 PM
**** **** ****!

Carlos Pena is so lucky he's hot.

VonneMarie
07-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah... Bannister sucks. This ones over.

Adept Havelock
07-04-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm wondering if Banny is going to make it out of the first inning. I've heard of sophomore slumps, but this is absurd.

The longer this is on, the nicer it seems outside.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 03:30 PM
bannister was so good last year, and incredible the first three games tihs year. i don't understand how he can fall that far off the wagon, so quickly.

Bowser
07-04-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm wondering if Banny is going to make it out of the first inning. I've heard of sophomore slumps, but this is absurd.

The longer this is on, the nicer it seems outside.

I just got finished mowing. Maybe I'll go do it again.

DeezNutz
Not a great effort by Teahen on that throw. Didn't get behind the ball properly and therefore had no momentum behind his throw.

VonneMarie
Banny needs some practice time in AAA.

Bowser
07-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Banny needs some practice time in AAA.

Seemed to help Butler.....

Adept Havelock
07-04-2008, 03:33 PM

I'm thinking Guinness, a patio chair, and a Terry Pratchett book. Probably no radio.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 03:34 PM

ROFL

Bowser
07-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm think Guinness, a patio chair, and a book. Probably no radio.

Or that. Can't do Guiness, though - too thick for a nice summer day. Probably just a Bully Wheat.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 03:46 PM
hmm, 3 straight strikeouts for bannister now. :hmmm:

VonneMarie
07-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Nice comeback, Banny.

VonneMarie
07-04-2008, 03:51 PM
My favorite heckler is back.

VonneMarie
07-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Buck is complete horseshit.

Stewie
07-04-2008, 03:53 PM
My favorite heckler is back.

What a loser that fatass is.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 03:58 PM
john buck just threw another one into center field. he has to be the worst catcher i have ever seen.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 03:59 PM

haha i think he's funny.

VonneMarie

He's so funny though.

VonneMarie
john buck just threw another one into center field. he has to be the worst catcher i have ever seen.

Bring on Olivo!

Bowser
07-04-2008, 04:00 PM

If I were Hillman, I'd have Olivo geared up and ready to go.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 04:03 PM
so who will give up more runs today, bannister or buck?

VonneMarie
07-04-2008, 04:07 PM
And why is Olivo still the back up?

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 04:10 PM
it would be nice if somebody besides dejesus could get on base today.

also it would be nice if they wouldn't hit into a double play every time dejesus is on base.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 04:11 PM

"because buck calls a better game."

yeah he's calling a real great game today, huh? catching and throwing and hitting a great game today, too.

DeezNutz
07-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Buck calls a better game...ok. I've brought this up before, but I'll ask again: If Olivo's game-calling ability is his most significant weakness, why can't the coaching staff call the game, thus making his weakness a moot point? What would be the problem with this? Too simple?

Bowser
07-04-2008, 04:15 PM
"because buck calls a better came."

We'll see what the Omaha pitchers have to say about that.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 04:19 PM
btw, just so there is no confusion, i was quoting other people on the whole "buck calling a better game" thing. i think it's horseshit, and olivo should be the everyday catcher.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 04:25 PM
haha sweet catch by guillen.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 04:30 PM
3-run homer by carlos pena. 7-0 rays. this is ridiculous.

VonneMarie
07-04-2008, 04:31 PM
We suck... oh well.

VonneMarie
07-04-2008, 04:32 PM
BTW, Pena owns us.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 04:33 PM
oh, gobble is warming up in the bullpen, which means the royals have officially given up.

DeezNutz
07-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Gobble up in the pen. We're clearly waving the white flag. Time to go outside.

DeezNutz
07-04-2008, 04:34 PM
oh, gobble is warming up in the bullpen, which means the royals have officially given up.

:thumb:

Nice timing.

eazyb81
07-04-2008, 04:38 PM
btw, just so there is no confusion, i was quoting other people on the whole "buck calling a better game" thing. i think it's horseshit, and olivo should be the everyday catcher.

So why do the pitchers have a much lower ERA when Buck as the catcher compared to Olivo? And why do Meche and Greinke only want Buck catching when they're on the mound?

eazyb81
07-04-2008, 04:39 PM
3-run homer by carlos pena. 7-0 rays. this is ridiculous.

Not that ridiculous. Rays are possibly the best team in the AL, we are the second worst.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 05:15 PM
So why do the pitchers have a much lower ERA when Buck as the catcher compared to Olivo? And why do Meche and Greinke only want Buck catching when they're on the mound?

coincidence? i don't know. why did bannister suck balls today, when buck was catching?

eazyb81
07-04-2008, 05:21 PM
coincidence? i don't know. why did bannister suck balls today, when buck was catching?

Because Bannister just generally sucks balls.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Because Bannister just generally sucks balls.

so does buck.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 05:27 PM
man, aviles is slumping.

eazyb81
07-04-2008, 05:32 PM
so does buck.

okay they both suck balls. happy?

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 05:46 PM
okay they both suck balls. happy?

no. i am a royals fan. why would i be happy that their pitcher sucks balls, and their catcher sucks balls, while their good catcher is sitting on the bench?

SPATCH
07-04-2008, 05:50 PM
no. i am a royals fan. why would i be happy that their pitcher sucks balls, and their catcher sucks balls, while their good catcher is sitting on the bench?

relax... start drinking

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA MUTHA ****AS

alanm
07-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Because he blows at calling a game. Think Jim Everett

alanm
07-04-2008, 07:06 PM
"because buck calls a better game."

yeah he's calling a real great game today, huh? catching and throwing and hitting a great game today, too.
Well, Bannister has to meet him halfway. ROFL

DeezNutz
07-04-2008, 09:05 PM

Call it from the bench...

My guess is that Hillman has maximized his production from two below-average catchers. If Olivo played full time, I'm sure he'd be over-exposed and many of us would be asking for Buck again. It could be that the catcher situation is one of Hillman's true successes this season. He's been somewhat of a chicken salad chef.

irishjayhawk
07-04-2008, 09:06 PM

You know, I think Buck isn't that much better. Look at Bannister having gone downhill.

Some of that is Banny but some can also be Buck. I think Buck is better at calling a game but not by the margin most on here think so.

BigRock
07-04-2008, 09:17 PM
How many times is someone going to say "How good can Buck be at calling games, look how Banny is sucking"?

I can't believe this even needs to be pointed out, but "a catcher calling a good game" and "a pitcher having good stuff" are two completely different things. The greatest game calling catcher in history could be behind the plate and it's not going to help a guy who's up there tossing batting practice garbage.

irishjayhawk
07-04-2008, 09:18 PM
How many times is someone going to say "How good can Buck be at calling games, look how Banny is sucking"?

I can't believe this even needs to be pointed out, but "a catcher calling a good game" and "a pitcher having good stuff" are two completely different things. The greatest game calling catcher in history could be behind the plate and it's not going to help a guy who's up there tossing batting practice garbage.

I never said that.

I said SOME of the blame should be given to Buck. He just seems to get passes while Olivo keeps getting the shaft because he 'can't call a game".

BigRock
07-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I never said that.

I said SOME of the blame should be given to Buck. He just seems to get passes while Olivo keeps getting the shaft because he 'can't call a game".

I wasn't referring to just you. The same question has been raised previously in the thread.

Buck gets a pass because he's not out there saying "hey Banny, throw some really weak looking junk right down the middle so these guys can tee off on it". Banny's doing that all on his own.

irishjayhawk
07-04-2008, 09:26 PM
I wasn't referring to just you. The same question has been raised previously in the thread.

Buck gets a pass because he's not out there saying "hey Banny, throw some really weak looking junk right down the middle so these guys can tee off on it". Banny's doing that all on his own.

Banny happens to be the most recent tanked game. There are others.

BigRock
07-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Banny happens to be the most recent tanked game. There are others.

And again... "a catcher calling a good game" and "a pitcher having good stuff" are two completely different things. If there's some recent example of a Royals pitcher being sharp and John Buck's game calling costing the team runs, you'll have to point it out.

irishjayhawk
07-04-2008, 09:43 PM
And again... "a catcher calling a good game" and "a pitcher having good stuff" are two completely different things. If there's some recent example of a Royals pitcher being sharp and John Buck's game calling costing the team runs, you'll have to point it out.

Right. That's why I don't think that catchers calling games is as obvious as people think here.

That was my whole point, just zoned in on Buck vs Olivo rather than in general like you are talking about.

DeezNutz
07-04-2008, 09:54 PM

Neither of our catcher's is calling a game totally on his own. Today FSN showed several shots of Buck looking to the dugout for the signs. Lower ERA when Buck catches is somewhat of a misleading statistic, and unless there's an interview I'm not familiar with, Meche and Grienke don't get to choose their catcher. Hillman makes the decision, and this was stated coming out of spring training.

Boris The Great
07-04-2008, 11:03 PM
There is nothing misleading about the stat that the pitchers perform better with Buck. John Buck practically runs the pitching staff. He runs the pitchers meetings. He does indeed call the games. He is involved with the pitching as any catcher can possibly be.

That doesnt mean he is some great catcher, but it cannot possibly be argued that the pitchers have done better with him behind the plate. Why do you think he is the one catching most of the games? What, the team benches Pena, cuts Tomko, sends Butler back to the minors, but they are beholden to the mighty John Buck?

What is he doing, blackmailing them into putting him in the lineup?

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 11:09 PM

if there's some recent example of john buck doing anything well at all in a baseball game, you'll have to point that out too.

DeezNutz
07-04-2008, 11:12 PM
There is nothing misleading about the stat that the pitchers perform better with Buck. John Buck practically runs the pitching staff. He runs the pitchers meetings. He does indeed call the games. He is involved with the pitching as any catcher can possibly be.

That doesnt mean he is some great catcher, but it cannot possibly be argued that the pitchers have done better with him behind the plate. Why do you think he is the one catching most of the games? What, the team benches Pena, cuts Tomko, sends Butler back to the minors, but they are beholden to the mighty John Buck?

What is he doing, blackmailing them into putting him in the lineup?

What I've said before and will continue to maintain, the ability to call a game is the most over-rated "skill" a catcher could possess because this is something that the coaching staff can aid during the game. The staff cannot help a player throw, block, or hit.

Regarding Buck's involvement in the pitchers' meetings, I've heard the same interviews as you. To say that he practically runs the pitching staff sounds like an overstatement to me. I'm guessing that the pitching coach might be a little more involved.

Why does he continue to play? Again, I think Hillman has gotten the most out of two below-average catchers. Leaving either in over the course of the season would cause them to be over-exposed. With that said, I believe that the team could compensate for Olivo's shortcomings more readily than Buck's, and that's why I'd rather the former get the majority of the playing time.

thurman merman
07-04-2008, 11:21 PM
so now that the royals signed horacio ramirez, does anybody have any idea why jimmy gobble is still on the team? he gave up 3 more runs today, hit a batter, and threw at least 2 pitches about 50 feet.

there is no reason for a team to have THREE left handed relievers, especially one that has a 7.94 ERA.

BigRock
07-05-2008, 12:42 AM
if there's some recent example of john buck doing anything well at all in a baseball game, you'll have to point that out too.
LOLZ HE SHOULD BE BAGGIN' GROCERIES

ChiefsBlow
07-05-2008, 12:47 AM
In yer face

You dopes suck

Ari Chi3fs
07-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Buck.

He is 1 for 29 in catching base runners.

His average sucks monkey shit.

He is a minor league catcher. We need to acquire a really ****ing smart catcher.

Oh how I wish that we had paid Ivan Rodriquez and Raul Ibanez in 2004 offseason, instead of Juan Gone and Benito Santiago.

Ari Chi3fs
07-05-2008, 01:03 AM
I think John Buck would be really good at carrying around the Snow Cones in the stands selling them... keep him off the field.

Boris The Great
07-05-2008, 01:05 AM
What Ive said before and will continue to maintain, the ability to call a game is the most over-rated skill a catcher could possess because this is something that the coaching staff can aid during the game.

I dont know what to say except a whole lot of people disagree. Including, obviously, everyone making decisions with the Royals.

alanm
07-05-2008, 01:08 AM
You know, I think Buck isn't that much better. Look at Bannister having gone downhill.

Some of that is Banny but some can also be Buck. I think Buck is better at calling a game but not by the margin most on here think so.
Banny's a streaky pitcher and he even admitted it himself I read somewhere this spring.
I guess he's streaking south at the moment. Hell who knows, next start he just may throw a no hitter. :shrug:

alanm
07-05-2008, 01:10 AM

That was my point earlier about Bannister meeting Buck halfway. ;)

alanm
07-05-2008, 01:25 AM
He did knock down a ball with his nuts the other night. :thumb:

Ari Chi3fs
07-05-2008, 10:08 AM
"My name is Buck, and I came to completely SUCK."

http://sp8.fotologs.net/photo/24/27/55/kill___bill/1177554177_f.jpg

Demonpenz
07-05-2008, 10:20 AM
What happened to bucks leg kick it seemed like he would jack more homeruns when he was doing that bit

DaKCMan AP
07-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Rays are possibly the best team in the AL, we are the second worst.

QFT