PDA

View Full Version : Computers Questions about a Mac

Farzin
07-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I've used a mac before at school, but I'm just used to a couple of the programs. I just had a couple questions about em.

1. Whats the difference between MacBook, MacBook Air and Macbook Pro?

2. Is imovie available when you purchase a mac? If so, does it have a lot of features while making videos?

3. Which is better, final cut pro/express or imovie?

Appreciate em!

irishjayhawk
07-04-2008, 11:16 PM
1) Macbook is mainstream notebook. Air is ultra portable. Pro is well, professional. It's high end desktop replacement. Basically a desktop on the go.

2) iMovie comes with iLife. It comes on your computer pre-installed but upgrades must be purchased (for example, I upgraded to iLife 08 like 6 months ago.)

Personally, I liked iMovie 06 over iMovie 08 but to each their own. They have a lot of features for making videos, especially for software that comes with the operating system. It's what Apple excels at: multimedia.

Having said that, it also depends on what type of videos you want to make.

Pitt Gorilla
07-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Macbook Pro has the most power. Airs are thin. I think iMovie is fine and it comes with iLife, which has other cool stuff (like iPhoto). If you're a pro, you might go with the other software.

irishjayhawk
07-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Macbook Pro has the most power. Airs are thin. I think iMovie is fine and it comes with iLife, which has other cool stuff (like iPhoto). If you're a pro, you might go with the other software.

?

EDIT: I see you're talking about iMovie vs FCP. I thought you were implying the Macbook Pro comes with different software.

irishjayhawk
07-04-2008, 11:21 PM

Since you added it....

Umm, both are good for what they are. iMovie 06 (not the current version) is basically a filtered down Final Cut Express. Final Cut Pro for mainstream, essentially.

They excel in different areas. What are you trying to accomplish?

Silock
07-04-2008, 11:46 PM
I'd hold off on buying a Macbook right now. They're due to be updated in the next 2 months, so if you can wait, I'd do that.

The biggest difference between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro is the lack of a dedicated graphics card. The Macbooks use on-board graphics, which is fine if you're doing iMovie stuff or just surfing the net, but the Macbook Pro has a dedicated graphics card, is faster and a better overall machine.

I'd skip the Macbook Air if you don't really know about it. It's the slowest and doesn't have a built-in DVD drive. It's strictly made for ultra-portable needs, and is not a good primary computer.

tiberius
07-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Imovie is a ultra-user-friendly program. so much so that It's hard to do anything on. Final cut is,for instance, what NBC used to edit the Olympics. It's a far more detailed and capable program. Macbook Air may be fast and portable, but it won't offer all the features you want, especially if you are editing video. Go with something more like the pro. I was a graphic design major and have editted a lot of video. if you want more info, e-mail me.

Smed1065
07-05-2008, 01:54 AM
1) Macbook is mainstream notebook. Air is ultra portable. Pro is well, professional. It's high end desktop replacement. Basically a desktop on the go.

2) iMovie comes with iLife. It comes on your computer pre-installed but upgrades must be purchased (for example, I upgraded to iLife 08 like 6 months ago.)

Personally, I liked iMovie 06 over iMovie 08 but to each their own. They have a lot of features for making videos, especially for software that comes with the operating system. It's what Apple excels at: multimedia.

Having said that, it also depends on what type of videos you want to make.

FOS, as usual.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 09:13 AM
FOS, as usual.

:spock:

Do tell.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 09:14 AM
I'd hold off on buying a Macbook right now. They're due to be updated in the next 2 months, so if you can wait, I'd do that.

The biggest difference between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro is the lack of a dedicated graphics card. The Macbooks use on-board graphics, which is fine if you're doing iMovie stuff or just surfing the net, but the Macbook Pro has a dedicated graphics card, is faster and a better overall machine.

I'd skip the Macbook Air if you don't really know about it. It's the slowest and doesn't have a built-in DVD drive. It's strictly made for ultra-portable needs, and is not a good primary computer.

All good advice. I forgot to mention the update that is nearing for the Macbook.

Having said that, you can pick one up if you're a student and get a free ipod touch.

Silock
07-05-2008, 09:17 AM
All good advice. I forgot to mention the update that is nearing for the Macbook.

Having said that, you can pick one up if you're a student and get a free ipod touch.

Yeah, the whole Mac laptop line should be updated soon. The student iPod promo runs through the beginning of September, so hopefully the new ones come out before then. I need to buy one, too, but I want to wait for the update.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Yeah, the whole Mac laptop line should be updated soon. The student iPod promo runs through the beginning of September, so hopefully the new ones come out before then. I need to buy one, too, but I want to wait for the update.

I figured they ran that promotion to clear out the stock. But who knows. :hmmm:

Pitt Gorilla
07-05-2008, 09:44 AM
I figured they ran that promotion to clear out the stock. But who knows. :hmmm:I think that's probably correct.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Don't buy the "cheap" Mac laptop. It's woefully underpowered for the price.

gblowfish
07-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Quote your questions, and some answers: I've used a mac before at school, but I'm just used to a couple of the programs. I just had a couple questions about em.

MacBook is a basic student style laptop, MacBook Air is a stripped down, very thin model, missing some important features, MacBook Pro is top notch, does everything you need, but expensive brand new compared to a windows laptop.

2. Is imovie available when you purchase a mac?
Comes as standard equipment as part of I-Life.
If so, does it have a lot of features while making videos?
It's OK for home movies and stuff, has a 60 minute limit.

Final cut pro is expensive. Use final cut and DVD studio pro only if you are a serious video student or do video for a living.

Imovie is usually fine for the occasional video hobbyist.

penguinz
07-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Don't buy the "cheap" Mac laptop. It's woefully underpowered for the price.The Air yes. The others... could not be further from wrong.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 10:17 AM
The Air yes. The others... could not be further from wrong.

Actually, yes. For $1099 I expect more from a laptop than 1GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. That's terrible.

little jacob
07-05-2008, 10:19 AM
i have a macbook. all you have to do is buy notebook memory from anywhere for less than $100 and you can max out the ram. the ram is not a good reason to buy or not to buy one.

penguinz
07-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Actually, yes. For $1099 I expect more from a laptop than 1GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. That's terrible.Show me a better laptop at that price. You must include the functionality of the software that comes with the macbook also.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 10:22 AM
i have a macbook. all you have to do is buy notebook memory from anywhere for less than $100 and you can max out the ram. the ram is not a good reason to buy or not to buy one.

Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a Mac.

And what about that tiny hard drive?

I got a laptop recently with three times the RAM and double the hard drive for $350 LESS. And it wasn't a queer shade of white.

little jacob
07-05-2008, 10:31 AM
I've used a mac before at school, but I'm just used to a couple of the programs. I just had a couple questions about em.

2. Is imovie available when you purchase a mac? If so, does it have a lot of features while making videos?

Appreciate em!

1. Macbook is the entry level mac notebook. perfectly capable of whatever most users want to do especially after a memory upgrade. i dont really play games that much but Civ 4 runs fine on it. i debated getting a Macbook Pro but the one I have does everything just fine.

The Air is ultraportable. it is about the size and shape of a magazine. if you are on the road a lot, it might be useful, but the price is pretty high for what you get. it's missing a dvd drive, although you can get one separately.

2. You get imovie. it's pretty handy if not super robust.

3. Final Cut express is more professional. Final Cut studio is what some studios use to put actual movies together.

It's sort of hard to compare mac specs with pc specs. a mac with less hardware power will still run really well. the OS is much less of a resource hog. i wouldn't even consider a lower end PC laptop unless it still had windows xp

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 10:33 AM
It's sort of hard to compare mac specs with pc specs.

Not really. I ripped Vista off my new laptop the same day I bought it and installed a superlite version of XP.

little jacob
07-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a Mac.

And what about that tiny hard drive?

I got a laptop recently with three times the RAM and double the hard drive for $350 LESS. And it wasn't a queer shade of white.

so upgrade whatever you want yourself. if you are paying for built-in upgrades from Dell you're an idiot too because you can get them for much less as well.

like i was saying, you cant totally compare specs because OSX is more efficient than windows. a normal user could have a good experience on OSX with a system that has half the specs of a machine that will run vista efficiently. XP is not as bad but its the same situation

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 10:41 AM
like i was saying, you cant totally compare specs because OSX is more efficient than windows.

That's a load of crap.

little jacob
07-05-2008, 10:46 AM
That's a load of crap.

what do you know?

i know, you're a virile macho manly computer user. nothing could ever get you to rest your hairy knuckles or your miller high life on a mac. macs are for pussies - kind of like arguing about operating systems on the internet is for pussies i guess.

if you are convinced that your manhood rests on what the laptop on your desk looks like, you have far bigger problems than knowing little about operating systems you dont use.

if you are happy with what windows gives you then by all means, continue. i hope for your sake you at least were smart enough to buy a machine without an OS so as not to pay for a license you won't use.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 10:52 AM
what do you know?

Enough to know that there's no way in hell I'm shelling out OVER A GRAND for a laptop with a 120GB hard drive.

Bill Parcells
07-05-2008, 10:52 AM
That's a load of crap.

Windows has two big gaping security holes in it, IE and Outlook are the gateways of destruction. OSX has no gaping holes like that. and that's a fact.

little jacob
07-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Windows has two big gaping security holes in it, IE and Outlook are the gateways of destruction. OSX has no gaping holes like that. and that's a fact.

you can't take inherently insecure (windows) and try to bolt security onto it. security goes from the ground up which is the way better OSs are designed.

QuikSsurfer
07-05-2008, 10:57 AM

No sense in keeping on.
Let him be happy with his budget Toshiba laptop.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 10:58 AM

Guess what?

I don't have internet explorer or outlook on my laptop. The version of XP I installed had both ripped out.

No sense in keeping on.
Let him be happy with his budget Toshiba laptop.

It wasn't "budget" in any way. It smokes that $1,099 laptop.

Bill Parcells
07-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Guess what?

I don't have internet explorer or outlook on my laptop. The version of XP I installed had both ripped out.

Really? do tell, how did you ''rip them out''? they're both integral parts of the operating system, and it usually always ****s something up if you do that.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Actually, yes. For $1099 I expect more from a laptop than 1GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. That's terrible.

Your major folly other than being a huge partisan hack is that you underestimate the power of the underlying software OSX.

It's funny because you even admit later that you DOWNGRADED from vista to XP. (Not that I blame you)

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Guess what?

It wasn't "budget" in any way. It smokes that $1,099 laptop.

You do realize that comparing RAM specs is unwise. OSX utilizes RAM in a vastly more efficient way. That's why comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges.

Kinda weird agreeing with little_jacob. :)

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Your major folly other than being a huge partisan hack is that you underestimate the power of the underlying software OSX.

Please. I've used OSX. It didn't impress me.

It's funny because you even admit later that you DOWNGRADED from vista to XP. (Not that I blame you)So? It was the smart thing to do. I admit that Vista is crap.

But in the end, there's just no good god damn reason for me to buy a Mac. It certainly wouldn't fill my video editing needs.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 11:40 AM

So? It was the smart thing to do. I admit that Vista is crap.

You are bashing OS X while simultaneously DOWNGRADING from Vista. I know that each person has their own flavor but so far you think that the operating system costs $0 to manufacture and therefore the price for the Mac is ALL in the Hardware making it a crappy buy. That's horrible logic.

And, again, RAM is utilized differently. Specs aren't necessarily comparable.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 11:42 AM
You are bashing OS X while simultaneously DOWNGRADING from Vista. I know that each person has their own flavor but so far you think that the operating system costs $0 to manufacture and therefore the price for the Mac is ALL in the Hardware making it a crappy buy. That's horrible logic.

I don't give a rip what OS is on a laptop when I buy it, because I nuke the contents of the hard drive, anyway.

And OSX is not worth the price difference, that's for sure.

QuikSsurfer
07-05-2008, 11:43 AM

I find this very hard to believe.

You may have played with it for a few minutes.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't give a rip what OS is on a laptop when I buy it, because I nuke the contents of the hard drive, anyway.

And OSX is not worth the price difference, that's for sure.

And that's your opinion. But to say that it shouldn't be factored into the cost of the machine is absurd.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 11:44 AM

No, he really is dead set against it. I'm not sure why.

Jewish Rabbi
07-05-2008, 11:45 AM

So? It was the smart thing to do. I admit that Vista is crap.

But in the end, there's just no good god damn reason for me to buy a Mac. It certainly wouldn't fill my video editing needs.

You might want to check again...I don't like Macs either, but they dominate PCs in the graphic design and video editing field

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 11:46 AM
You might want to check again...I don't like Macs either, but they dominate PCs in the graphic design and video editing field

He's going to disagree. Camtasia will be mentioned.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 11:46 AM

Again, not true. And like I said, they don't fill MY needs. The program I use and feel comfortable using is NOT available on the Mac.

No, he really is dead set against it. I'm not sure why.

Macs just don't fill my needs. If all I wanted to do on my computer was surf some web, do a little writing and listen to music, they would. But I just need more. Why would I pay MORE for LESS? Makes no sense.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 11:48 AM

I used it for several days in River Falls last year.

NewChief
07-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Macs just don't fill my needs. If all I wanted to do on my computer was surf some web, do a little writing and listen to music, they would. But I just need more. Why would I pay MORE for LESS? Makes no sense.

You make it sound like the majority of Mac users are "casual" users who only use their computers for those three things. While there certainly is a group of users who use them for that, you're dismissing the huge host of professionals who choose Mac because it's a superior, powerful tool for their profession. You're right that there isn't a good screencasting app yet for Mac, but the rumor is that Camtasia has an app under development for OSX.

QuikSsurfer
07-05-2008, 12:01 PM
I used it for several days in River Falls last year.

I think there are plenty of variant applications for OSX. I do much, much more than just surf the web. You know that.
If a few application compatibility issues are keeping you from even considering a Mac; bootcamp.

Whatever. I have no problem with XP and have two machines running it (3 if you include bootcamp). But there is no denying it... OSX > XP

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 12:05 PM
You make it sound like the majority of Mac users are "casual" users who only use their computers for those three things. While there certainly is a group of users who use them for that, you're dismissing the huge host of professionals who choose Mac because it's a superior, powerful tool for their profession. You're right that there isn't a good screencasting app yet for Mac, but the rumor is that Camtasia has an app under development for OSX.

Actually, I think that's not true. ScreenFlow has been raved about.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 12:09 PM

Actually, I'm not trying to say that. I realize there are plenty of professional applications.

I'm just not willing to make the switch, especially at a higher price, and learn completely new software. It's not worth it. I have very few problems on the PC and work very fast.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Actually, I'm not trying to say that. I realize there are plenty of professional applications.

I'm just not willing to make the switch, especially at a higher price, and learn completely new software. It's not worth it. I have very few problems on the PC and work very fast.

I don't have a problem with that mindset at all.

However, to claim that the price isn't worth it and thereby implying that the operating system is essentially $0, is absurd.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't have a problem with that mindset at all.

However, to claim that the price isn't worth it and thereby implying that the operating system is essentially $0, is absurd.

It's not worth an additional $350. Especially when it's running inferior hardware. That's absurd, too.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 12:19 PM
It's not worth an additional $350. Especially when it's running inferior hardware. That's absurd, too.

Inferior hardware. You still haven't owned up - in fact you've ignored it - that Mac and PCs don't handle RAM the same. So while the physical size of them are the same, they are utilized differently. Macs have the edge there. Does that factor into your $350. What about how the processor is utilized? Does that factor in?

You are spouting off numbers in order to make it appear more expensive, when, in fact, it isn't.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Inferior hardware. You still haven't owned up - in fact you've ignored it - that Mac and PCs don't handle RAM the same.

We're talking THREE TIMES AS MUCH RAM.

You going to tell me the superhuman way in which OSX apparently handles RAM is going to balance that out? No ****ing way.

And 250 GB > 120 GB. No getting around that one.

If I want a Macbook with a 250 GB hard drive I have to shell out almost 1300 bucks. Not ****ing worth it.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 12:24 PM
We're talking THREE TIMES AS MUCH RAM.

You going to tell me the superhuman way in which OSX apparently handles RAM is going to balance that out? No ****ing way.

And 250 GB > 120 GB. No getting around that one.

If I want a Macbook with a 250 GB hard drive I have to shell out almost 1300 bucks. Not ****ing worth it.

I'll take software that correctly utilizes the specs down to the very last tweak over software that loads up on things it can't handle efficiently.

I don't really understand the whole GB argument for computers anymore considering the inexpensive external drives which are better.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I'll take software that correctly utilizes the specs down to the very last tweak over software that loads up on things it can't handle efficiently.

LOL...my laptop is plenty efficient. Your post is ridiculous.

I don't really understand the whole GB argument for computers anymore considering the inexpensive external drives which are better.

Yeah, I really want to shell out even MORE money for an external drive. Which is you know, making me carry around even MORE crap. I'll stick with the bigger capacity drive INSIDE the computer, thanks. Especially when I'm capturing video and NEED those extra GBs.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 12:30 PM
LOL...my laptop is plenty efficient. Your post is ridiculous.

Yeah, I really want to shell out even MORE money for an external drive. Which is you know, making me carry around even MORE crap. I'll stick with the bigger capacity drive INSIDE the computer, thanks. Especially when I'm capturing video and NEED those extra GBs.

Yes, my post is ridiculous. You've brought really nothing to the table other than the same old "Macs are expensive" argument which have been thoroughly debunked throughout the internet.

Other than that, you've just said "They aren't for me so they must not be for you".

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Yes, my post is ridiculous. You've brought really nothing to the table other than the same old "Macs are expensive" argument which have been thoroughly debunked throughout the internet.

What? No, they haven't.

For 1100 bucks I expect something with a little more punch. Not a 120GB hard drive. Not 1 GB of RAM, REGARDLESS of how efficiently the OS uses it.

My guess is my $750 laptop encodes video a hell of a lot faster than anyone's $1100 "Macbook." And that's all that counts to me.

Hell, that ****ing thing doesn't even have a DVD burner. AWESOME!!!

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 12:37 PM
What? No, they haven't.

For 1100 bucks I expect something with a little more punch. Not a 120GB hard drive. Not 1 GB of RAM, REGARDLESS of how efficiently the OS uses it.

My guess is my $750 laptop encodes video a hell of a lot faster than anyone's $1100 "Macbook." And that's all that counts to me.

Hell, that ****ing thing doesn't even have a DVD burner. AWESOME!!!

Hmm, I didn't realize the no dvd burner. That's kinda a head scratcher considering every other model has the Superdrive. :hmmm:

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Hmm, I didn't realize the no dvd burner. That's kinda a head scratcher considering every other model has the Superdrive. :hmmm:

It's Apple's grand plan to bilk as much money from latte-loving French assholes as possible. HAY RENE! DVDBURNERSIZE YOUR "iFRUIT" for another 200 bucks! WOULD YOU LIKE ELITISM WITH THAT?

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 12:40 PM
It's Apple's grand plan to bilk as much money from latte-loving French assholes as possible. HAY RENE! DVDBURNERSIZE YOUR "iFRUIT" for another 200 bucks! WOULD YOU LIKE ELITISM WITH THAT?

Thank you for proving why most of your input is pretty irrelevant.

Pablo
07-05-2008, 12:40 PM
When are they coming out with an Apple clothing line?

I'll buy anything Steve Jobs creates. I'm in desperate need of some isocks, and only at the slightly higher rate of $17 a pair.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Thank you for proving why most of your input is pretty irrelevant.

It's true though. If I want a macbook with one of those SUPER AMAZING DVD burners, the minimum price is $1,299. Throw in the bigger hard drive I require and it jumps to $1,399. Nearly TWICE the price of my current laptop.

Hey look! Steve Jobs just bought another summer home! He was going to plant a money tree, BUT WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT?

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 12:59 PM
HOLY CHRIST. Look what I get for 1400 bucks at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220281

You want a laptop with a separate video card with 512 MB of memory on it....Mac will charge you....

$2500!

ROFL

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 01:00 PM
It's true though. If I want a macbook with one of those SUPER AMAZING DVD burners, the minimum price is $1,299. Throw in the bigger hard drive I require and it jumps to $1,399. Nearly TWICE the price of my current laptop.

Hey look! Steve Jobs just bought another summer home! He was going to plant a money tree, BUT WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT?

Thanks again, for proving the point that most of your input is irrelevant.

From the 1100 to the 1300 there happens to be a jump of 300MHZ processor speed, a DVD burner, a full GB of RAM, AND a 40GB bigger hard drive.

So, you would be completely full of shit even if you're tongue in cheek with the hyperboles.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks again, for proving the point that most of your input is irrelevant.

From the 1100 to the 1300 there happens to be a jump of 300MHZ processor speed, a DVD burner, a full GB of RAM, AND a 40GB bigger hard drive.

So, you would be completely full of shit even if you're tongue in cheek with the hyperboles.

Oh, so the hard drive is still smaller?

Thanks for pointing that out.

By the way...300 mhz...not that big of a deal. But you probably think it is.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Oh, so the hard drive is still smaller?

Thanks for pointing that out.

By the way...300 mhz...not that big of a deal. But you probably think it is.

I never said that 300MHZ was a big deal. It was you who said - and it looks to be seriously, as well - that the difference between the $1100 and the $1300 was just hard drive space.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about with respect to it still being smaller.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 01:05 PM
I never said that 300MHZ was a big deal. It was you who said - and it looks to be seriously, as well - that the difference between the $1100 and the $1300 was just hard drive space.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about with respect to it still being smaller.

You went from 120 GB to 160 GB.

Still smaller than 250 GB.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 01:06 PM
You went from 120 GB to 160 GB.

Still smaller than 250 GB.

Which has nothing to do with the post I was replying to.

But whatever.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Which has nothing to do with the post I was replying to.

But whatever.

Look, the point is, I want a goddamn laptop with 250GB of hard drive space.

Apple's CHEAPEST option at that configuration, REGARDLESS of the other options, IS FOURTEEN HUNDRED GODDAMN DOLLARS.

**** that noise.

For fourteen hundred goddamn dollars, I can get a kickass ASUS laptop with a friggin' separate video card in it. Not to mention an even LARGER hard drive (320GB) and FOUR gigs of RAM.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 01:08 PM

Apple's CHEAPEST option at that configuration, REGARDLESS of the other options, IS FOURTEEN HUNDRED GODDAMN DOLLARS.

**** that noise.

We both know that regardless of manufacturer, adding their options is more expensive than simply upgrading or buying external. Let's not pretend that Apple is the only one gouging on customization.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 01:11 PM
We both know that regardless of manufacturer, adding their options is more expensive than simply upgrading or buying external. Let's not pretend that Apple is the only one gouging on customization.

Newegg isn't gouging me. Why? BECAUSE THEIR LAPTOP COMES CONFIGURED THE WAY I WANT IT AT A REASONABLE PRICE!

White_Noise
07-05-2008, 01:27 PM
I agree that the standard Macbook could use some more specs for the price. I was considering the Pro for a while, but the 2 grand price is pretty steep.

I just picked up a refurbished Powerbook G4 for $800. Its sort of the Macbook Pro of the last generation. I'm really happy with it so far, 17" screen, 1g ram, 100gb drive. I highly recommend these if someone is looking for a powerful mac laptop with a cheaper price.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I just picked up a refurbished Powerbook G4 for $800.

You got ripped off.

White_Noise
07-05-2008, 01:32 PM
17" model is worth it, I think. I know the others can be found a bit cheaper

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 01:33 PM
17" model is worth it, I think. I know the others can be found a bit cheaper

First thing I look at is the processor. The Core 2 Duo is going to SMOKE the chip in that G4.

Farzin
07-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm thinking of buying a 250 GB one. I'm basically going to continue podcasting, make video montages and photo slideshows and use my music on it.

White_Noise
07-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah, would be perfect if it had the core duo. It runs a 1.67ghz powerpc. My only complaint really

ClevelandBronco
07-05-2008, 01:42 PM

Too easy.

Pablo
07-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Too easy.When apple launches it's iwear clothing line next fall they're gonna make a killing off of that queer shade of white. Undershirts and socks all reasonably priced.

Silock
07-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Apple does not cater to the bargain basement crowd. If that's what you want, Claythan, then go get it. I don't care.

But Apples aren't out for that. They're solid machines and while the hardware specs aren't what you're going to get in a cheap computer, you get what you pay for.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Apple does not cater to the bargain basement crowd. If that's what you want, Claythan, then go get it. I don't care.

But Apples aren't out for that. They're solid machines and while the hardware specs aren't what you're going to get in a cheap computer, you get what you pay for.

I'm certainly not the bargain basement crowd. I like MORE than 1 GB of RAM in my computer. I like LARGER hard drives than 120GB.

If I was interested in cheap laptops I would have bought a 400-dollar piece of shit with a Celeron processor.

Skip Towne
07-05-2008, 08:42 PM

**** that noise.

For fourteen hundred goddamn dollars, I can get a kickass ASUS laptop with a friggin' separate video card in it. Not to mention an even LARGER hard drive (320GB) and FOUR gigs of RAM.

Damn, how much is your allowance anyhow?

Rausch
07-05-2008, 08:45 PM

One must also consider that in the 30% higher price Apple includes a bundle of useful, stable, and intuitive apps.

The average Mac-madman does not buy his 2nd Mac because of the HD (which anyone can swap out.) It's the software+hardware. You've stated how unimpressed you are with that end so, for you, argument's over.

There's no point in hijacking the thread other than to point out how much you don't like the product. And you can forget the idea of convincing someone to think like you. Mac/PC is like Ford/Chevy or Rep/Dem.

Silock
07-05-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm certainly not the bargain basement crowd. I like MORE than 1 GB of RAM in my computer. I like LARGER hard drives than 120GB.

Who's stopping you from putting more RAM or a bigger hard drive in it? Certainly not Apple.

Face it, not all people need or want what YOU want in a computer. Some people do not require hard drives larger than 120 gb. For me, I could give a shit less how much hard drive space it has because even if it came with 1 terabyte of storage, it wouldn't be enough. That's why I have external storage solutions. More than 1 gb of RAM? I'll put some in there. It's cheaper to buy it elsewhere than it is to buy it from Apple, Dell or any other manufacturer. What's the big deal?

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Who's stopping you from putting more RAM or a bigger hard drive in it? Certainly not Apple.

Oh, I don't need to. It came with all the RAM and HDD space I need. Unless you were talking about the Mac. And in that case, I don't buy laptops to ugprade them.

What's the big deal?The big deal is I'm not into paying more for less.

Silock
07-05-2008, 09:34 PM
The big deal is I'm not into paying more for less.

Again, that's totally subjective. I'm not into paying less for less. See how that works?

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Again, that's totally subjective.

It's not, really.

More money, fewer gigs. Pretty simple.

Silock
07-05-2008, 11:18 PM
It's not, really.

More money, fewer gigs. Pretty simple.

See, that's your problem. You only look at things from one perspective.

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 11:21 PM
See, that's your problem. You only look at things from one perspective.

Yeah, the perspective of a consumer who wants value for his money.

Seriously. Why the **** should I shell out 1400 bucks for a laptop just because I want it to have a DVD burner and 250 GB of storage?

That's ****ing insane. Mac needs to pull their heads outta their asses.

Jewish Rabbi
07-05-2008, 11:34 PM
That's ****ing insane. Mac needs to pull their heads outta their asses.
You need to stop being a douche and do the same thing

little jacob
07-05-2008, 11:39 PM

so go to newegg and find a 250gb for $100

Count Zarth
07-05-2008, 11:42 PM
You need to stop being a douche and do the same thing

Oh, alright. I'll just bow down to the mighty Mac empire. I don't know what's good for me. I have a perfectly kickass laptop sitting over here to my left that only cost me $749 but I'm a stupid goddamn mother****er for buying it. I NEED that $1100 laptop. It and it alone can lead me to true computing fortune and glory. And if I want that DVD burner well ****, I better just lay out a few more benjamins, because it's for my own goddamn good. So is learning completely new software and abandoning any thought of gaming on my laptop. Screw that shit, it's a waste of my time. Mac is the way and the light. TAKE ME, APPLE! CONVERT MY GODLESS HEATHEN WINDOWS SOUL! FILL ME WITH ITUNES AND IMOVIE AND EVERYTHING ON STEVE JOBS' GREEN EARTH THAT SHINES WITH A FISHER-PRICE LIKE GLOW!

**** this home-brewed english tea! Bring me some french coffee PRONTO! AND JACK UP THE MOTHER****ING PRICE WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!

little jacob
07-05-2008, 11:59 PM
settle down. if you are happy with MS then go on being happy with MS. those people who work for the RAM manufacturers and antivirus companies got to eat too

Jewish Rabbi
07-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Oh, alright. I'll just bow down to the mighty Mac empire. I don't know what's good for me. I have a perfectly kickass laptop sitting over here to my left that only cost me $749 but I'm a stupid goddamn mother****er for buying it. I NEED that $1100 laptop. It and it alone can lead me to true computing fortune and glory. And if I want that DVD burner well ****, I better just lay out a few more benjamins, because it's for my own goddamn good. So is learning completely new software and abandoning any thought of gaming on my laptop. Screw that shit, it's a waste of my time. Mac is the way and the light. TAKE ME, APPLE! CONVERT MY GODLESS HEATHEN WINDOWS SOUL! FILL ME WITH ITUNES AND IMOVIE AND EVERYTHING ON STEVE JOBS' GREEN EARTH THAT SHINES WITH A FISHER-PRICE LIKE GLOW!

**** this home-brewed english tea! Bring me some french coffee PRONTO! AND JACK UP THE MOTHER****ING PRICE WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!
No one's telling you to buy a Mac. We're just saying they're not complete shit like you seem to think they are, that's why I told you to pull your head out of your ass.

DaneMcCloud
07-06-2008, 12:20 AM
No one's telling you to buy a Mac. We're just saying they're not complete shit like you seem to think they are, that's why I told you to pull your head out of your ass.

Off-topic but shouldn't your user name just be "Rabbi"?

For example, I've never heard of a "Christian" Rabbi or a "Hindu" rabbi or a "Tom Cruise" Rabbi.

That's like saying I'm opening a strip joint and I'm calling it "Nude Nudes".

Jewish Rabbi
07-06-2008, 01:04 AM

For example, I've never heard of a "Christian" Rabbi or a "Hindu" rabbi or a "Tom Cruise" Rabbi.

Should your user name just be McCloud?

DaneMcCloud
07-06-2008, 01:09 AM

Only if my name were Dennis Weaver

Bill Parcells
07-06-2008, 01:10 AM

ROFL

SLAG
07-06-2008, 01:18 AM
I have got to say I have read this thread and I dont know why but I am surprised that it turned into a pissing match with Goatse.

Fact of the matter is , Mac's are More expensive, but some find it worth the extra expense for various reasons, including but not limited to software and security.

I am not a MAC fanboy nor am I a Apple Hater but I did give up on my Mac Mini because of Games. But I decided to Buy the PS3 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=185734) instead of building a Gaming computer.

I would also have to say that a intel mac and an intel PC both running linux would be a more fair comparison of hardware specs than OSX vs SuperDuperCustom XP. I would guess that each would excel in some areas over each other but some people do just buy for Image. - Pink viaos c'mon

OnTheWarpath58
07-06-2008, 09:12 AM

LMAO

Username courtesy of the Department of Redundancy department.

irishjayhawk
07-06-2008, 09:32 AM
I have got to say I have read this thread and I dont know why but I am surprised that it turned into a pissing match with Goatse.

Fact of the matter is , Mac's are More expensive, but some find it worth the extra expense for various reasons, including but not limited to software and security.

I am not a MAC fanboy nor am I a Apple Hater but I did give up on my Mac Mini because of Games. But I decided to Buy the PS3 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=185734) instead of building a Gaming computer.

I would also have to say that a intel mac and an intel PC both running linux would be a more fair comparison of hardware specs than OSX vs SuperDuperCustom XP. I would guess that each would excel in some areas over each other but some people do just buy for Image. - Pink viaos c'mon

Have you seen his posts?

He has made some valid points but most are overshadowed by hatred for Apple. Notice how he GOES IN AND out OF CAPS TO MAKE gay POINTS. It's more his antics than his points that have people.

Jewish Rabbi
07-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Have you seen his posts?

He has made some valid points but most are overshadowed by hatred for Apple. Notice how he GOES IN AND out OF CAPS TO MAKE gay POINTS. It's more his antics than his points that have people.

Lack of proper grammar is also a turn-off for me.

Pablo
07-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Lack of proper grammar is also a turn-off for me.Yeah, there's no way I can jerk it to a Mac v. PC thread when someone is making grammatical errors.

And Claythan may have some issues, but I don't think grammar and spelling are really one of them.

vailpass
07-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Go nerds go! When does the light saber battle start?

Pablo
07-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Go nerds go! When does the light saber battle start?As soon as Mac starts selling iSabers.

vailpass
07-06-2008, 01:52 PM
As soon as Mac starts selling iSabers.

LMAO

Count Zarth
07-06-2008, 02:20 PM
iSaber - now available in pink!

Consistent1
07-06-2008, 06:08 PM
This is a silly argument after it's all said, and done. I too believe that Mac stuff is dumb and trendy. Yeah, the specs might be sweet on some level, but he has a serious point about the value.