PDA

View Full Version : Misc Pain medication

Dunit35
07-06-2008, 08:58 PM
How much is too much?

What I mean is I have been taking lortabs and ibuprofen for ten straight days after getting my wisdom teeth out.

Days 1-6: I was probably taking 8 lortabs a day
Days 7-10: I've been taking 2 lortabs and probably 8-12 ibuprofen.

I try to go as long as possible without taking any but sometimes the pain in my mouth/teeth/jaw is too much.

I think my dentist may have messed up taking my wisdom teeth out or filling my cavities.

Phobia
07-06-2008, 09:01 PM
1200 Mg ibuprofen a day is more than sufficient. You probably have dry sockets. If you take too much ibuprofen you'll jack up your stomach and your liver. You don't want that at all.

NewChief
07-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Like Phobia said, you must have dry sockets. You shouldn't be feeling that much pain at this point. I'm not sure that I took any significant pain medication beyond the first couple of days after my wisdom teeth came out.

cdcox
07-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I don't think I took any pain meds after the first day.

Bugeater
07-06-2008, 09:08 PM
What are you concerned about, dependency? I'm not familiar with Lortabs, but I took Oxycodone and Hydrocodone for 3 months straight last winter and didn't really have much trouble stopping them.

Dunit35
07-06-2008, 09:10 PM
The Ibuprofen are 200mg. I guess I'm taking probably 1600mg's a day.

I went to my dentist last wednesday because of the pain and he told me everything was healing fine and I didn't have dry sockets. I'd say the pain is worse then it was during the first couple days.

Phobia
07-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Dependency is the least of his worries. If he damages his liver he'll never take ibuprofen again - and a host of other pain relievers. One of my buds used to be a RB for Mizzou and he screwed up his liver so bad he can't take one ibuprofen.

Dunit35
07-06-2008, 09:11 PM
What are you concerned about, dependency? I'm not familiar with Lortabs, but I took Oxycodone and Hydrocodone for 3 months straight last winter and didn't really have much trouble stopping them.

I'm not concerned with being dependent. I'd love to stop taking them but like I said, the pain gets rather intense at times.

I'm guessing the pain in my mouth/jaw is giving me headaches also?

Bugeater
07-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Dependency is the least of his worries. If he damages his liver he'll never take ibuprofen again - and a host of other pain relievers. One of my buds used to be a RB for Mizzou and he screwed up his liver so bad he can't take one ibuprofen.
Erm....how much ibuprofen can one take before damaging one's liver? I live on that stuff.

Phobia
07-06-2008, 09:12 PM
If you have that much pain you either have dry sockets or your dentist jacked something up. If you don't have dry sockets then I'm worried for you. Time for a second opinion?

Dunit35
07-06-2008, 09:15 PM
If you have that much pain you either have dry sockets or your dentist jacked something up. If you don't have dry sockets then I'm worried for you. Time for a second opinion?

That's what a couple of my older friends are saying. I'm going to go back tomorrow and if he doesn't tell me why there's so much pain I'm going to go elsewhere.

Phobia
07-06-2008, 09:19 PM
You should PM tooge a link to this thread, see if he's willing to offer a professional opinion.

Phobia
07-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Erm....how much ibuprofen can one take before damaging one's liver? I live on that stuff.

I don't know. I couldn't find a precise amount online. I've always been told no more than 3 200's at a time spaced at 8 hours per dosage - so 1200 per day.

DaFace
07-06-2008, 09:21 PM
My wife's teeth hurt for at least two weeks after she got hers taken out. Different people react in different ways.

And ditto on PMing tooge. No better source of advice than a professional.

booger
07-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Were you awake when they did it?

When i had mine out, i couldn't afford and wasn't covered for a trip to the orthodontist so i had the dentist do it. He gave me novacaine and the laughing gas and that's it.

Basically cut around and broke the teeth and pulled them out 2 went ok and 2 were pretty tough to get out.

I had 2 days that were not very fun and the next 2-3 got better everyday and was back to complete normal within a week.

Good luck and don't be affraid of the 2nd opp as others have said.

Bugeater
07-06-2008, 09:25 PM
I don't know. I couldn't find a precise amount online. I've always been told no more than 3 200's at a time spaced at 8 hours per dosage - so 1200 per day.
Oh, so it has nothing to do with taking it over an extended period of time and more to do with daily dosage? Depending on how bad I'm hurting I usually pop 800mg every morning and another 400-800mg later in the day, some days I don't take any at all, but I've been using it regularly for years.

Phobia
07-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Oh, so it has nothing to do with taking it over an extended period of time and more to do with daily dosage? Depending on how bad I'm hurting I usually pop 800mg every morning and another 400-800mg later in the day, some days I don't take any at all, but I've been using it regularly for years.

Oh no - it's pretty good for you to take on a regular basis but too much daily can really jack you up.

penguinz
07-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't know. I couldn't find a precise amount online. I've always been told no more than 3 200's at a time spaced at 8 hours per dosage - so 1200 per day.I take 800MG at a time every 4-6 hours when I am being very active and have never had any issues.

Just make sure you are drinking LOTS of fluids.

from drugs.com (http://www.drugs.com/mtm/ibuprofen.html): An overdose of ibuprofen can cause damage to your stomach or intestines. The maximum amount of ibuprofen for adults is 800 milligrams per dose or 3200 mg per day (4 maximum doses). Use only the smallest amount of ibuprofen needed to get relief from your pain, swelling, or fever.

penguinz
07-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Oh, so it has nothing to do with taking it over an extended period of time and more to do with daily dosage? Depending on how bad I'm hurting I usually pop 800mg every morning and another 400-800mg later in the day, some days I don't take any at all, but I've been using it regularly for years.Extended use can cause ulcers and hypertension.

Dunit35
07-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I had pain this morning in my teeth when I woke up, not as bad as usual but still enough to go back to the dentist.

He said the farthest back tooth on my uppers decayed very close to a nerve or something and said it may have caused damage to that nerve. He checked my bite marks and said they were uneven and that may be causing pain. So, he did some drilling to even it and immediately I could bite down without pain. He also said that if this doesn't fix the pain to come back in again.

I am in horrible pain in my jaw area as usual. I hope this fixes my problem but it's not looking like it did anything for me. I can bite down but there is a lot of pain again.

What will happen if there is nerve damage (he said the nerve may be dying off)?

FAX
07-07-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm no doctor, but I think that, eventually, the nerves will just die and the cells will bury them. Have you considered getting another dentist to take a look at your situation, Mr. Dunit35?

FAX

QuikSsurfer
07-07-2008, 09:04 PM
2nd opinion.

Could be worse though...
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/quikssurfer/toothless.jpg

Demonpenz
07-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Pain killers and alchohol abuse are a horrible for your liver. If you binge drink and use pain killers for hangovers you will die a horrible death. Have a nice day

Dunit35
07-07-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm no doctor, but I think that, eventually, the nerves will just die and the cells will bury them. Have you considered getting another dentist to take a look at your situation, Mr. Dunit35?

FAX

Yeah, I'm considering it. My patience with this pain and him not fixing it is running very thin.

Demonpenz
07-07-2008, 09:11 PM
What is your pain like? Is it dull? Mine were all the way in but I had them take them out because my teeth are actually straight (you know what they say about good teeth, you either have good teeth or a big dick, and I've never had braces) anyway I had dull 4-5 on a 1-10 scale pain for a couple weeks maybe even a month just to be annoying.

Skip Towne
07-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Sorry to hear that Dunit, mine went great and no pain medication beyond the first day. I think your dentist screwed something up.

FAX
07-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I'm considering it. My patience with this pain and him not fixing it is running very thin.

Were I in your shoes, I would definitely call another dentist, Mr. Dunit35. No question about it. I don't know your guy, obviously, but he sounds a little hackish, to me. Maybe the new guy will help you with your problem or maybe he'll merely confirm your current dentist's opinion is correct. Either way, you're better off.

FAX

go bowe
07-08-2008, 01:03 PM
What are you concerned about, dependency? I'm not familiar with Lortabs, but I took Oxycodone and Hydrocodone for 3 months straight last winter and didn't really have much trouble stopping them.oxycodone?

what's this?

are you trying to go all rush on us now?

and why in the world would you stop?

oxycodone is the cadillac, er lexus of abuseable drugs...

and only 3 months?

pussy... :p :p :p

Bugeater
07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
oxycodone?

what's this?

are you trying to go all rush on us now?

and why in the world would you stop?

oxycodone is the cadillac, er lexus of abuseable drugs...

and only 3 months?

pussy... :p :p :p

Man, I would still be taking those things if I could, but teh bastages stopped giving them to me. They make ALL the pain go away.

penguinz
07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Man, I would still be taking those things if I could, but teh bastages stopped giving them to me. They make ALL the pain go away.
Oxycodone just takes the edge off my back and knee pain. :(

rtmike
07-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I've been eating oxy's since '04 for back pain.

I had a wisdom tooth & back molar taken out and the dentist had a heck of time. He physically got up on my chair and started yardin' on the wisdom tooth. It was embedded and came out in two pieces.
I ended up with dry socket and after lunch time for about an hour every day I'd about cry from the pain. Dry socket went away and one day I was eating a salmon patty and something popped. Guys across the lunch room heard it. I have slight TMJ and my jaw had popped for some reason. Pain returned.

I swear I lost 20 or so pounds until it got better.

I'd be getting a second opinion. Maybe this dentist doesn't want to acknowledge he messed something up? :shrug:

I hope you get to feeling better dude, pain sucks.

damaticous
07-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Like Phobia said, you must have dry sockets. You shouldn't be feeling that much pain at this point. I'm not sure that I took any significant pain medication beyond the first couple of days after my wisdom teeth came out.

My step daughter just had her second, and last set (2 wisdom teeth) pulled today. Last time she was only out for 4 days before going back to work with very little if ANY pain. She only took Ibuprofen...and she is a huge wuss...almost hypochondriac. If you are still having pain after this many days you should go back and talk to the Doc.

Jenny Gump
07-08-2008, 06:42 PM
1200 Mg ibuprofen a day is more than sufficient. You probably have dry sockets. If you take too much ibuprofen you'll jack up your stomach and your liver. You don't want that at all.

Did you suck on anything while recovering? That will give you dry sockets.