PDA

View Full Version : Computers Weird Computer Issue... help please?

jAZ
07-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Ok, so my laptop has been crapping out on me lately. They replaced the motherboard a few times, but one quirky problem kept coming back. Through some searching, I traced it back to an issue in Vista itself. So I decided to dump Vista and go with XP.

Here's the problem.

My laptop's harddrive is partitioned by default. C: was the main system drive, D: was my "data" drive (files, photos, videos, etc). So in installing XP, I deleted the C: partition (had vista on it) but left the D: partition with my data drive on it.

Well, as it turns out doing this changed the drive letter assignments.

So my "Data" drive is now my C: drive and XP is installed on and the system boots up from my D: drive.

I tried going to My Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management > Change Drive Letter and Paths...

Doing this with either drive gives this error: "Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume."

What to do? Any ideas?

jjchieffan
07-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Personally, I would backup your data drive to an external drive. Delete all partitions, and then reinstall it.

Count Zarth
07-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Can you access the data on C drive?

Jenson71
07-06-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm only here for emotional support, jaz. I can offer no advice. Good luck.

cdcox
07-07-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm here to bust a cap in the ass of the first "Buy a Mac" wiseguy.

pr_capone
07-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Personally, I would backup your data drive to an external drive. Delete all partitions, and then reinstall it.

+1

either that or burn the information onto a cd/dvd(s)... or if you have a jump drive big enough, just throw everything on there.

jAZ
07-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Can you access the data on C drive?

Yes, everything works normally.

It boots from the D: drive as if it were a C: drive.

I'd never know things were screwed up if the 2nd partition (data) wasn't listed first on the "My Computer" screen.

jAZ
07-07-2008, 12:29 AM

+1

either that or burn the information onto a cd/dvd(s)... or if you have a jump drive big enough, just throw everything on there.

Ugh, I'd rather leave it alone than do that at this point. Other than this issue, I finally have this thing functioning normally (it seems). I've been without it for over a month sending it into support 2-3 times and erasing and reinstalling the OS at least 7 times.

I'm hoping that there is an easier way around this.

Count Zarth
07-07-2008, 12:29 AM
In that case I'll agree with jj.

It's really not a difficult process. You could do it in an evening.

jjchieffan
07-07-2008, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=Claythan;4831723]In that case I'll agree with jj.QUOTE]

Now there's a scary thought.LMAO

Logical
07-07-2008, 12:55 AM
Yes, everything works normally.

It boots from the D: drive as if it were a C: drive.

I'd never know things were screwed up if the 2nd partition (data) wasn't listed first on the "My Computer" screen.I guess I am wondering then why not leave well enough alone?

I believe a lot of work is involved in any fix.

KCCHIEFS27
07-07-2008, 02:23 AM
If you don't want to transfer everything to an external hard drive, then there is a piece of software called "Partition Magic" which might be able to help you..it cost about 70$..you can read about it here and even download it from the link if you so choose..http://www.symantec.com/norton/partitionmagic

CrazyPhuD
07-07-2008, 02:49 AM
So let's as this question? Why do you think there is anything to fix? Because it's labeled differently?

No big deal, it's just a label and doesn't mean anything. The only way you can 'fix' it is to reinstall the system. It's kinda like getting a boob job to remove a mole. It's strictly cosmetic, not important.

What are you worried about?

kcfan82
07-07-2008, 06:45 AM

That's really the only thing he can do, you can't delete an or change an OS partition in Windows.

Plus the entire Windows registry and .ini files are associated and pointing to the D drive.

Backup your pics, music, and documents and settings directorys and blow out both partitions and create one big C partition.

There is no benefit to partitioning a drive speed wise because they both reside on the same physical disk, so why even mess with the hassle of it?

Just keep your pictures, etc in your my documents\username folder or in vista users\username.

Mr. Plow
07-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Personally, I'd put the computer in the bathtub. Turn the water on. Sit down. Then plug it in. That should take care of any problems you're having.

Kerberos
07-07-2008, 08:10 AM

If he didn't already have a backup of his data drive he is asking for problems anyway.

jAZ, If you aren't backing up your data before you do things like this you are going to have problems somewhere down the road. You really need to back up your drive once a week or even more often if you change or add things daily.

Just my .02

jAZ
07-07-2008, 08:18 AM
In that case I'll agree with jj.

It's really not a difficult process. You could do it in an evening.

yeah, I've just done it repeatedly lately. I think 3 times yesterday alone. If it's just cosmetic (and really nothing will come back to bite me in the ass later) then I'll just leave it and wait till it's time refresh the OS again in a year.

jAZ
07-07-2008, 08:20 AM
So let's as this question? Why do you think there is anything to fix? Because it's labeled differently?

No big deal, it's just a label and doesn't mean anything. The only way you can 'fix' it is to reinstall the system. It's kinda like getting a boob job to remove a mole. It's strictly cosmetic, not important.

What are you worried about?

mostly just some unforseen problem. Maybe a software install that assumes certain files are installed on C:.

phisherman
07-07-2008, 08:25 AM
mostly just some unforseen problem. Maybe a software install that assumes certain files are installed on C:.

that shouldn't be an issue because most(99.9%) developers are using Compiler Variables such as %WIN% and %SYS32% in their installers.

you'd have to have some real "fly by night" type of software if the developers were hardcoding drive paths. that's a big no no if you can help it.