PDA

View Full Version : Misc Which is the more scenic mountain drive in Colorado?

Coogs
07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
We are taking a family trip to Colorado this weekend, and my youngest two kids have never been to the mountains before. We have the better part of one day just to drive through the mountains. We are staying in Denver on Saturday and Sunday night, and I was just wondering which route would be the more memorable route? Would you pick the NorthWest route that would include the Rocky Mountain National Park? Or would you swing SouthWest say from Dillon down along the Continantal Divide to Salida and across the Royal Gorge?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. And if you have a good highway route to follow on either of these... or other route suggestions... that help would be much appreciated as well.

trndobrd
07-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Just drove through Rocky Mountain National Park last week. Absolutely awe inspiring. There is plenty of wildlife to the kids to look at and the visitor stations are very good, especially for kids.

http://www.nps.gov/romo/forkids/index.htm

Baconeater
07-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Royal Gorge is way out in the middle of nowhere, and there isn't much else to see around there. I would recommend heading west out of Denver to Golden, then head north to Estes Park and RMNP, and if time permits drive to Grand Lake from there. That's a long day though.

StcChief
07-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Denver take Trail Ridge road comes out N Boulder.

[url]http://www.nps.gov/archive/romo/visit/weather/scenicdrives.html[url]

Baconeater
07-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Oh, and make sure you go down this road:

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=65460&d=1170034288

penguinz
07-07-2008, 12:32 PM

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=65460&d=1170034288I would save that for a snowy winter day.

vailpass
07-07-2008, 12:43 PM
You can't go wrong no matter which way you choose. Roll down your windows and howl all the way through the Eisenhower tunnel.

CoMoChief
07-07-2008, 12:49 PM
We are taking a family trip to Colorado this weekend, and my youngest two kids have never been to the mountains before. We have the better part of one day just to drive through the mountains. We are staying in Denver on Saturday and Sunday night, and I was just wondering which route would be the more memorable route? Would you pick the NorthWest route that would include the Rocky Mountain National Park? Or would you swing SouthWest say from Dillon down along the Continantal Divide to Salida and across the Royal Gorge?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. And if you have a good highway route to follow on either of these... or other route suggestions... that help would be much appreciated as well.

How old are your kids?

Reason I ask is that they might get restless in a car if all you're doing is driving etc looking at Mtns and trees. I just remember hating riding in a car when I was little on a vacation, yes I was one of those "Are we there yet?" , kids. I always wanted to be doing something.

If you have time and money etc I would recommend horseback riding. Heck my dad took me White water rafting on the Arkansas River when I was 7, still remember it to this day and it was one of the funnest things I have ever done.

Donger
07-07-2008, 12:52 PM
RMNP and then go over Berthoud Pass down to I-70. Go up to Mt. Evans, too.

Guru
07-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Rocky Mountain National Park and Wolf Creek Pass. If you have the time, the Durango-silverton railway as well.

Baconeater
07-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Rocky Mountain National Park and Wolf Creek Pass. If you have the time, the Durango-silverton railway as well.
That railway is on the other side of the state, it's a day's drive just to and from there.

RodInCanton
07-07-2008, 01:00 PM

This is what my suggestion would be as well for a one day trip...

Baconeater
07-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority but didn't find the drive up Mt. Evans to be all that thrilling.

ohiobronco2
07-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Denver take Trail Ridge road comes out N Boulder.

[url]http://www.nps.gov/archive/romo/visit/weather/scenicdrives.html[url]

My wife and I took a trip to Colorado about 9 months ago. Was my first time driving at that elevation and it scared the crap out of me. Driving thousands of feet up a mountain with no guard rails can do that I guess. I'd go through Estes Park and stop off at the Stanley Hotel. I thought that was pretty facinating, but I'm a big Stephen King fan.

Coogs
07-07-2008, 01:21 PM
How old are your kids?

Reason I ask is that they might get restless in a car if all you're doing is driving etc looking at Mtns and trees. I just remember hating riding in a car when I was little on a vacation, yes I was one of those "Are we there yet?" , kids. I always wanted to be doing something.

If you have time and money etc I would recommend horseback riding. Heck my dad took me White water rafting on the Arkansas River when I was 7, still remember it to this day and it was one of the funnest things I have ever done.

Two daughters, 14 and 17, and a son that is 10. The 17 year old has been to Steamboat several times with an aunt and uncle. This is sort of a quick trip, so we are probably just going to take a drive and sight see for the most part.

DaFace
07-07-2008, 01:22 PM

Ditto on the first part. I haven't made the Mt. Evans drive yet, though, so I have no opinion on that one.

Guru
07-07-2008, 01:25 PM
That railway is on the other side of the state, it's a day's drive just to and from there.

Ahh, forgot he was only going for the weekend.

Rocky Mountain National Park FTW!!!!

Coogs
07-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys! :toast:

Sounds like the Northwest route is the way to go.

:thumb:

ChiTown
07-07-2008, 01:27 PM

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=65460&d=1170034288

That looks like Monarch Pass.

I go through Monarch 2x in the Summer and 2x in the Spring.

Redrum_69
07-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Trinidad...Highway of Legends

Donger
07-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority but didn't find the drive up Mt. Evans to be all that thrilling.

Ever done it in the snow?

Frazod
07-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Ever done it in the snow?

I assume that adds a whole new dimension to it. :eek:

I've made the drive up through Estes Park, but not much else in that area, so I really can't offer much beyond the RMNP area is spectacular. So is the drive across the state on I-70. I've also spent some time in western Colorado - the Ouray area is very pretty.

Hell, living in Illinois, it's all magnificent to me. :sulk:

dtebbe
07-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Royal Gorge is way out in the middle of nowhere, and there isn't much else to see around there. I would recommend heading west out of Denver to Golden, then head north to Estes Park and RMNP, and if time permits drive to Grand Lake from there. That's a long day though.

I 2nd this one! Grand lake would have to be awesome in summer. I've only seen it frozen over in the winter (ride snowmobiles up there).

DT