PDA

View Full Version : Life Has anyone's dog had Parvo before?

Pestilence
07-07-2008, 03:34 PM
EDIT:

I just had to put down my 10 week old puppy, Gotham, because of parvo. This shit is killing me right now.

bogey
07-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Thursday of last week my 9 week old puppy got diagnosed with the parvo virus. He's been at the vet since then and I'm wondering if anyone has ever gone through this? How long of a recovery time is it?

Is that the same as heart worms?

BigVE
07-07-2008, 03:38 PM
LOTS of dogs never recover from parvo dude.

Pestilence
07-07-2008, 03:39 PM

No not that I'm aware of. The parvo virus (from what I understand) attacks the lining of the stomach causing vomiting, diaherrea and dehydration which can lead to death.

RedNeckRaider
07-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I had a sheppard get it around the same age. It cost me around $600 and that was several years ago. I took him in on a friday after hours so it cost more. He was on IVs for 4 days and pulled through. The vet made me pay up front as he said the dog has a 1 in 4 chance and he has been burned before. Good luck I hope your dog pulls through.

RedNeckRaider
07-07-2008, 03:40 PM

No much worse.

El Jefe
07-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I had a sheppard get it around the same age. It cost me around $600 and that was several years ago. I took him in on a friday after hours so it cost more. He was on IVs for 4 days and pulled through. The vet made me pay up front as he said the dog has a 1 in 4 chance and he has been burned before. Good luck I hope your dog pulls through.

Yea it's pretty serious.

Pestilence

Umm lets see. This must be just California then because I took him to the emergency clinic on Thursday night (only thing open for the holiday) and the whole weekend just cost me $3100. Plus he's at his regular vet now because he's still not doing as good as he should be and it's going to cost me $1600 for the week.

BigVE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_parvovirus

FAX
Parvo is very, very serious, Mr. pestilenceaf23. We bought a lab puppy once that came with Parvo. I was extremely angry about it. The breeder knew her dogs were sick and was selling them anyhow. The puppy died and, although I got my money back from the breeder, I never forgave them and likely never will.

FAX

BigVE
07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Umm lets see. This must be just California then because I took him to the emergency clinic on Thursday night (only thing open for the holiday) and the whole weekend just cost me $3100. Plus he's at his regular vet now because he's still not doing as good as he should be and it's going to cost me $1600 for the week.

You got yourself one HIGH-dollar dog!

Pestilence
07-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Parvo is very, very serious, Mr. pestilenceaf23. We bought a lab puppy once that came with Parvo. I was extremely angry about it. The breeder knew her dogs were sick and was selling them anyhow. The puppy died and, although I got my money back from the breeder, I never forgave them and likely never will.

FAX

That's what I'm working with right now. My vet told me the incubation period for parvo is 7-10 days which would fit right in with the time that we picked up from the shelter. They said that they had no idea but they would look to see if they would reimburse me the medical costs.

Cost to me is no big deal right now...I just want the little guy to pull through. If he dies though....I'm taking it out of the shelters ass myself.

TrebMaxx
07-07-2008, 03:46 PM
How bad off was you pup when you took him to the vet? Blood in stool or bloody runs? Or did you catch the pup just being lethargic? The Parvo virus runs for 7-10 days. The main goal of your vet is to make sure your pup doesn't dehydrate. I would think the sooner you had your pup at the vet the sooner he could make it back home. I never had a dog with parvo but have had friends and family members dogs get it. Hope your pup is able to fight it off. It is not a pretty illness.

Pestilence
07-07-2008, 03:50 PM
How bad off was you pup when you took him to the vet? Blood in stool or bloody runs? Or did you catch the pup just being lethargic? The Parvo virus runs for 7-10 days. The main goal of your vet is to make sure your pup doesn't dehydrate. I would think the sooner you had your pup at the vet the sooner he could make it back home. I never had a dog with parvo but have had friends and family members dogs get it. Hope your pup is able to fight it off. It is not a pretty illness.

I caught him being lathargic. He only threw up once and had diaherrea once (no blood) before I took him to the vet. He was at the emergency clinic for four days and now he's at my regular vet. He had two plasma transfusions at the emergency clinic because his protien levels were low. Poor little thing only weighs 5 lbs.

MOhillbilly
07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
i had one get parvo & brought him back myself. its a long road and depending on when you catch it he may never recover. its alot of fluids and waiting.

DJ's left nut
07-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Yeah, throwing money at Parvo is probably not a good idea, I'm sorry to be callous.

Parvo is probably the worst thing a puppy can get. I get the feeling you'll be looking at a $7K vet bill and, at best, a dog with dimished capacity.

More likely, you end up with a vet bill and that's it.

Pestilence
07-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah, throwing money at Parvo is probably not a good idea, I'm sorry to be callous.

Parvo is probably the worst thing a puppy can get. I get the feeling you'll be looking at a $7K vet bill and, at best, a dog with dimished capacity.

More likely, you end up with a vet bill and that's it.

Sweet....so you'd rather me just put him down then?

DJ's left nut
07-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Sweet....so you'd rather me just put him down then?

When I worked at the vet's office we never had one that was in good enough shape to treat it.

As has been mentioned, Parvo is a horrid thing for a dog to go through. My mom still works for a vet and she's never seen one make it through it.

Don't get me wrong, it has happened, but the humane answer is usually putting the dog down. On the other hand, most vets do know when there's a crack at saving one, so maybe yours was in good enough shape that the vet thought he/she could save it. Once they start with that stool that smells like liquid death, they're in a LOT of trouble.

Pestilence
07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
When I worked at the vet's office we never had one that was in good enough shape to treat it.

As has been mentioned, Parvo is a horrid thing for a dog to go through. My mom still works for a vet and she's never seen one make it through it.

Don't get me wrong, it has happened, but the humane answer is usually putting the dog down. On the other hand, most vets do know when there's a crack at saving one, so maybe yours was in good enough shape that the vet thought he/she could save it. Once they start with that stool that smells like liquid death, they're in a LOT of trouble.

Well I'm hoping that I caught it in enough time to save him. I have no problem putting him down if it's the best thing for him but I'm going to at least try and save him while he still has a chance.

stlchiefs
07-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Not being a jerk, but that's a lot of money to throw at a young pup with parvo. As has been stated, it's a bad thing. For the amount of money you're spending you could have one very well trained new pup.

bogey
07-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Well I'm hoping that I caught it in enough time to save him. I have no problem putting him down if it's the best thing for him but I'm going to at least try and save him while he still has a chance.

FYI...
Will my dog die if he gets Parvo?

This is a very serious disease. Some puppies infected with parvovirus will die despite prompt and adequate treatment. While no extremely accurate statistics are available, a good guess is probably that 80% of puppies treated for parvovirus will live. Without treatment, probably 80% or more of the infected puppies would die.

Due to the high death rate, parvovirus gets a lot of free publicity. Many people just assume that any case of diarrhea in a dog is from parvovirus. This is not true. There are a lot of other diseases and disorders that lead to diarrhea. If you have a puppy, don't take any chances. Have your puppy examined by your vet if diarrhea is a factor in any disease. It is better to be safe than to be sorry.

If your dog becomes infected with parvovirus, he has about a 50-50 chance of survival. If he makes it through the first three to four days, he will usually make a rapid recovery, and be back on his feet within a week. It is vital, however, that he receives supportive therapy immediately. It must be stressed that this is not a bad case of doggy flu; without medical treatment, most puppies die.

http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

Starbux37
07-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Parvo is pretty common in our area. Wife used to work for one of the best Vet Hospitals in Northern Nevada. Although the Vets would treat a pup for Parvo they really didn't recommend it.

It's a very expensive treatment (as you already know) and in truth the pups rarely really ever recover fully. They don't put on weight like healthy pups normally do and are just sickly the rest of there lives.

I hope your pup pulls thru, it's a tuff thing to go thru. Wife lost her 3 yr old Rott to Parvo just before we started dating. Now she makes sure we get our dogs innoculated for Parvo every year.

BIG_DADDY
07-07-2008, 04:26 PM
If you can't treat him yourself give him up. Letting the vet treat him is like giving them a blank check.

chasedude
07-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Parents picked up a pup from the pound and a week later it had Parvo. It was caught quickly and taken to the vet. "Sammie Jo" made it through ok and it still going today.

One thing I will tell you if your dog has Parvo then it's probably all over your house. Clean with strong bleach on your floors if possible and wash anything the pup has come in contact with in Hot water. The virus can be carried around for quite awhile from what the vet said.

bogey
07-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Parents picked up a pup from the pound and a week later it had Parvo. It was caught quickly and taken to the vet. "Sammie Jo" made it through ok and it still going today.

One thing I will tell you if your dog has Parvo then it's probably all over your house. Clean with strong bleach on your floors if possible and wash anything the pup has come in contact with in Hot water. The virus can be carried around for quite awhile from what the vet said.

FYI:

How is Parvo transmitted?

Canine parvovirus is carried by dogs. Adult dogs may be infected carriers without showing any clinical signs. Dogs with the typical diarrhea that parvovirus causes shed the virus as well. It can last a long time in the environment, perhaps as long as 9 months or longer.

Generally, it takes 7-10 days from the time of exposure for dogs and puppies to start showing symptoms and to test positive for parvo.

Parvo is highly contagious to unprotected dogs, and the virus can remain infectious in ground contaminated with fecal material for five months or more if conditions are favorable. Extremely hardy, most disinfectants cannot kill the virus, however chlorine bleach is the most effective and inexpensive agent that works, and is commonly used by veterinarians.

The ease with which infection with Parvo can occur in any unvaccinated dog must be stressed. The virus is extremely hardy in the environment. Withstanding wide temperature fluctuations and most cleaning agents. Parvo can be brought home to your dog on shoes, hands and even car tires. It can live for many months outside the animal. Any areas that are thought to be contaminated with parvo should be thoroughly washed with chlorine bleach diluted 1 ounce per quart of water.

Dogs and puppies can contract parvo even if they never leave their yards. Parvo virus, despite what you might hear, is NOT an airborne virus. It is excreted in the feces of infected dogs, and if someone -- human, dog, bird, etc. -- steps in (or otherwise comes in contact with) the excrement, the possibility for contamination is great. Some people speculate that birds invading a dog's food dish can deposit the parvovirus there. If you think you may have come in contact with parvovirus, a strong solution of bleach and water does kill the virus, so you can wash your shoes and clothes, even your hands with it, to reduce the risk of infecting your dog.

Rest assured that parvovirus is specific to dogs alone and cannot be transmitted to humans or other pets of a different species, such as cats.

Pestilence
07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
FYI...
If your dog becomes infected with parvovirus, he has about a 50-50 chance of survival. If he makes it through the first three to four days, he will usually make a rapid recovery, and be back on his feet within a week. It is vital, however, that he receives supportive therapy immediately. It must be stressed that this is not a bad case of doggy flu; without medical treatment, most puppies die.

Tonight at 8pm will be 4 days since he was diagnosed. He's been receiving support care since Thursday night. I'm hoping that he survives. Really $3000-$4000 to me is no big deal. I can always pay that off. All I know is in the 6 days I've had him.....I've gotten really attached to the little guy.

bogey
07-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Tonight at 8pm will be 4 days since he was diagnosed. He's been receiving support care since Thursday night. I'm hoping that he survives. Really $3000-$4000 to me is no big deal. I can always pay that off. All I know is in the 6 days I've had him.....I've gotten really attached to the little guy.

Good for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little guy.

Pestilence
07-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Good for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little guy.

Thanks....I appreciate it.

chief husker
07-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Parvo is some nasty shit. Hope all goes well. We lost a pup to it and it aint pretty either. BTW, if your dog doesn't make it, our vet recommended that we don't get another dog right away. The parvo can live in the yard for quite a while. While we do now have two great dogs, we wouldn't have got Max, our 11 year old Maincoon without parvo. 23lbs of cool cat.

tmax63
07-07-2008, 06:06 PM
If he's made it this long I'd say he got a pretty fair chance at recovery. I can't reiterate enough about the virus that's already been brought out. Main points being clean everything with bleach, it will live for months to years in the ground in the yard and so on. Another point to bring up - if you ever decide to get another pet to play with the little guy make sure he has been fully immunized for parvo before putting them together and if you have friends with dogs be very cautious about letting them play together in the park. If he recovers he can become a carrier of the virus though not always but it's something to be aware of.

LocoChiefsFan
07-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Thursday of last week my 9 week old puppy got diagnosed with the parvo virus. He's been at the vet since then and I'm wondering if anyone has ever gone through this? How long of a recovery time is it?
I had a Rottweiler pup about the same age that caught this. She never recovered.

FAX
07-07-2008, 06:53 PM
... I can't reiterate enough about the virus that's already been brought out. Main points being clean everything with bleach, it will live for months to years in the ground in the yard and so on. Another point to bring up - if you ever decide to get another pet to play with the little guy make sure he has been fully immunized for parvo before putting them together and if you have friends with dogs be very cautious about letting them play together in the park. If he recovers he can become a carrier of the virus though not always but it's something to be aware of.

Quite true, Mr. tmax63. It's very nasty and, apparently, almost impossible to kill. We had to clean our entire garage with bleach and burn a very nice wooden doghouse on top of that before we could get a new dog.

FAX

crispystl420
07-07-2008, 07:04 PM

Dude if it makes you feel any better when I was a kid our puppy got parvo they didn't think she would make it, however she pulled through. This dog was a little like a peekapoo I think. She ended up perfectly fine and smart as hell. My mom had another baby when I was 15 and had to give the dog away. The woman she gave her to lived about 14 miles away. Miraculously this dog reappeared at our doorstep six months later. So there is always a place for hope

Good luck bro anything is possible

Dartgod
07-07-2008, 07:15 PM
It's a very expensive treatment (as you already know) and in truth the pups rarely really ever recover fully. They don't put on weight like healthy pups normally do and are just sickly the rest of there lives.
This is not necessarily true. Our miniature schnauzer had parvo before we rescued him and he survived. He is very healthy and active. He currently weighs 19 pounds which is at the very upper end of weight range for his breed.

smittysbar
07-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I have lost 4 dogs from it. When I was younger our dogs would get it, and it sucked to watch them die of it, then eventually they are not themselves and you just have to put them down. The problem was that the Vet would tell us to wait after a winter to get another, but the next year we would get one and they would get it. We finally waited a couple years before we got another and have had no signs of it since.

Man I am a dog fan and all, but to spend that much money on a pup that you got from the pound 6 days ago sounds crazy, no matter how much money a person has.

RedNeckRaider
07-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Parvo is pretty common in our area. Wife used to work for one of the best Vet Hospitals in Northern Nevada. Although the Vets would treat a pup for Parvo they really didn't recommend it.

I don't about that Tatum was sheppard with a 1/4 wolf (I did not know about the wolf part untill long after I had him) he grew to 110 lbs and was a very healthy dog. The best dog I ever owned loyal and friendly less anyone coming around when were not home.

Old Dog
07-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Good luck to you and the little guy.

Pestilence
07-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Well so far he's still at his vet. He's resting comfortably but nothing has changed. Hopefully he'll start to turn around.

Thanks for the kind words.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-08-2008, 10:05 AM
I've got good thoughts headed your way!

When my cat of seven years wasn't doing well and didn't make it, it really meant a lot to just have some of those good thoughts. I genuinely hope your situation turns out for the best.

Pestilence
07-08-2008, 10:10 AM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n189/pestilenceaf23/gotham5.jpg

This is him yesterday when I picked him up from the emergency clinic to take him to his regular vet.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Cute pup.

RedNeckRaider
07-08-2008, 10:18 AM

This is him yesterday when I picked him up from the emergency clinic to take him to his regular vet.

Aww dang it there you went and made me all misty :harumph: hope the cute little fella pulls through :thumb:

Radar Chief
07-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Positive thoughts headed your way Mr. Pestilence.

El Jefe
07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Sent a little prayer for you and the pup, very cute little rascal.

Pestilence
07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks to everyone for all your thoughts. I just talked to the Vet and they're going to start giving him Hetastarch because his protien levels have dropped. They're also going to offer him some food in about an hour to see if he wants to eat anything.

Lzen
07-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Man, I truly love my dogs. They really are man's best friend. But I don't think I could spend that kind of money at the vet. Good luck with that.

BTW, anyone know the areas that Parvo is common and not common? Seems like when we got our dogs vaccinated a few months ago, they didn't do one of them because they said they never see it in this area. I don't remember if it was Parvo or perhaps something else.

DaFace
07-08-2008, 01:23 PM

Aww...poor guy. Hope he pulls through. :(

Fruit Ninja
07-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Lost my first 2 dogs to that shit. :( My 3rd and last dog so far was allergic to flies, soo ooh my that was a handful. He would be seizure all night if he ate a fly. That dog had horrible luck. There was just no way to keep him away from the flies :(.

Lzen
07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Man, I truly love my dogs. They really are man's best friend. But I don't think I could spend that kind of money at the vet. Good luck with that.

BTW, anyone know the areas that Parvo is common and not common? Seems like when we got our dogs vaccinated a few months ago, they didn't do one of them because they said they never see it in this area. I don't remember if it was Parvo or perhaps something else.

Ok, the wife says that was Coronavirus. They are vaccinated for Parvo. Whew. Anyone know anything about Coronavirus?

Pestilence
07-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Ok, the wife says that was Coronavirus. They are vaccinated for Parvo. Whew. Anyone know anything about Coronavirus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

Dartgod
07-08-2008, 01:30 PM
An allergy to Mexican beers?

http://www.ridefive.com/blog/Pics/corona.jpg

Carlota69
07-08-2008, 01:50 PM

OMG, he is so Fkn cute! Poor Lil dude. I am thinking of you and this lil guy. I understand dropping major cash for your baby, I did it. I also know of many dogs that have survived parvo and lived very happy, healthy lives. So hang in there and have faith.

Digitty, my lil dude, got some crazy virus, similar to parvo from the dog park. The symptoms are very much alike, and he almost died. I paid out the ying yang, but he made it and I am so lucky ot have him in my life.

Have faith.

tooge
07-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Pretty cute pup man, sure hope he is OK. I have never dealt with Parvo in my dog, sounds like I am lucky. I was cruising the metcalf on my rad bike once with my shirt off and met a girl that I am pretty sure had Parvo though, and a molester mustache.

Pestilence
07-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Man I hate the internet. I've seen conflicting info all over the place about this disease. Some websites say that if they make it past 4 days they have a good chance of surviving. Some websites say that if they aren't better by 4 days they won't make it.

Pablo
07-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Wow..4K on a puppy.

I used to think that whole dog insurance business was just a stupid scam, I suppose it could be somewhat useful in a case like this.

Pestilence
07-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Wow..4K on a puppy.

I used to think that whole dog insurance business was just a stupid scam, I suppose it could be somewhat useful in a case like this.

Yeah and the dumb thing about it is that I was contemplating getting it but I decided to wait a week or two. :banghead:

Carlota69
07-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah and the dumb thing about it is that I was contemplating getting it but I decided to wait a week or two. :banghead:

I have pet insurance and they paid about 35-40% of the cost with Digittys illness. Plus they pay about that much or more on basic stuff like shots, dental cleanings etc...it only cost me $30 a month per pup. I highly recommend it.

Pestilence
07-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I have pet insurance and they paid about 35-40% of the cost with Digittys illness. Plus they pay about that much or more on basic stuff like shots, dental cleanings etc...it only cost me $30 a month per pup. I highly recommend it.

Well I'll be getting it when he gets out of the vets office.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-08-2008, 03:19 PM

I hope your pup pulls thru, it's a tuff thing to go thru. Wife lost her 3 yr old Rott to Parvo just before we started dating. Now she makes sure we get our dogs innoculated for Parvo every year.

:spock:

My parents had a beagle who got Parvo, pulled through and was the biggest ****ing beagle I've ever seen.

Pestilence
07-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Well that sucks....I can't even visit the little guy.

bogey
07-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Well that sucks....I can't even visit the little guy.

How's he doing?

Pestilence
07-08-2008, 04:28 PM
How's he doing?

Well he's started vomiting and having diaherrea again.....still hasn't eaten yet. It's not looking good to me but I'm not a vet and she's still saying that he looks stable. They're going to check his white blood cell count again to see how that's doing. Hopefully he can make that turn soon and start to get better.

This shit is killing me though.

bogey
07-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Well he's started vomiting and having diaherrea again.....still hasn't eaten yet. It's not looking good to me but I'm not a vet and she's still saying that he looks stable. They're going to check his white blood cell count again to see how that's doing. Hopefully he can make that turn soon and start to get better.

This shit is killing me though.

This is such a bummer. I hope you know/trust your vet.

Pestilence
07-08-2008, 05:34 PM
This is such a bummer. I hope you know/trust your vet.

This is the first time I've had to use her because I've never had an animal since I've in Cali (2 1/2 years). She was recommended to me by people at my work though. She's done a good job of keeping me updated on his status.

Pestilence
07-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Well I got a call this morning and he had blood coming out of his nose and his white blood cell count was critically low. So I made the decision to end his suffering and put him down. This really sucks right now.

stumppy
07-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Sorry ti hear it. RIP little guy.

DaFace
07-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Damn...that's too bad, man. :(

Frazod
07-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Bad day for pets around here. Sorry for your loss. :(

Dartgod
07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Sorry to hear about this. I was hoping he'd pull through.

Give yourself a few days to grieve and go find another. You might want to check into a rescue organization rather than a local shelter. I got both my dogs that way and they seem to be a little more careful with the dogs health and who they adopt to. Of course, your mileage may vary depending on the organization.

Pestilence
07-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Sorry to hear about this. I was hoping he'd pull through.

Give yourself a few days to grieve and go find another. You might want to check into a rescue organization rather than a local shelter. I got both my dogs that way and they seem to be a little more careful with the dogs health and who they adopt to. Of course, your mileage may vary depending on the organization.

I'm going to wait the 6-7 months for right now. I know we've gone through and cleaned everything to try and kill the virus but I want to be 100% sure that I'm not bringing in another dog that could get it. Either that or I'll just go adopt a dog that's a little bit older and has all of its vaccinations. The process I'm in right now is working with the shelter to try and get my medical bills reimbursed. They're supposedly calling a board meeting in the next couple of days....but I'm not holding my breath.

Dartgod
07-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm going to wait the 6-7 months for right now. I know we've gone through and cleaned everything to try and kill the virus but I want to be 100% sure that I'm not bringing in another dog that could get it. Either that or I'll just go adopt a dog that's a little bit older and has all of its vaccinations. The process I'm in right now is working with the shelter to try and get my medical bills reimbursed. They're supposedly calling a board meeting in the next couple of days....but I'm not holding my breath.
Oh, right. Good call. I had forgot that your home might be contaminated now. I might be a better idea to wait a full year just to be safe.

Good luck with everything.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Well I got a call this morning and he had blood coming out of his nose and his white blood cell count was critically low. So I made the decision to end his suffering and put him down. This really sucks right now.

I was very sorry to hear this. Best to you and yours. It's a tough decision to make, but you should know you did the right thing.

bogey
07-09-2008, 10:53 AM
So sorry. In my opinion, you made the right decision.

RedNeckRaider
07-09-2008, 11:12 AM
That sucks! I was pulling for the little guy. Man I was hoping the update would be the other way around :shake:

Old Dog
07-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Condolences. That blows. Was hoping that the little guy would pull through.
Here's an old Dear Abby Column that kind of helped me and the Mrs when we had to put down one of our Huskies a few years back. I posted this on here once upon a long time ago, but it seems fitting again.
Warning: It can be a tearjerker to some (it was, and still is for me)

Dogs Don't Have Souls, Do They?

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this is your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you 're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging, just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap looking for atention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up to me as if to say that you were old and tired and that after all of these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one favor.

With tears in my eyes, I dorve you one last time to the vet. One last time, you were lying next to me. For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital; perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me."

I thought, "No, thank you for taking care of me."

Old Dog
07-09-2008, 11:20 AM
and another one called "Rainbow Bridge" that many have read before. Dartgod posted it before in a thread long ago.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

MOhillbilly
07-09-2008, 11:22 AM
im suprised this thread has gone on as long as it has.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=60232

scroll down and read the article by California Jack the guy has a reputation as a shylok but has had some very good dogs and bred some very good dogs and knows his shit. i used for the most part this article to help bring my walker pup back from the brink. when i say brink i mean he was a dried up little husk of a puppy.

hope this helps someone in the future.

ChiefsFan4Life
07-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Sorry to hear this man :(

TrebMaxx
07-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Sorry for you loss. I was pulling for the little guy.

chasedude
07-09-2008, 01:59 PM
I was hoping for a better outcome. I hate to hear when someone's pet dies. I've lost too many "animal friends" in my lifetime so far. I think you're wise to wait before getting another puppy. Parvo is one resilient bastard! I hope better things come your way.

jynni
07-09-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm so sorry to hear the lil' guy didn't make it. Parvo is nasty and you made the right decision not to let him suffer anymore.

At least by going to the shelter for reimbursement, you've brought it to their attention that a dog was infected with the virus on their grounds. They should be bleaching that place out right now. Hopefully another dog can avoid the same fate.

Pestilence
07-09-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm so sorry to hear the lil' guy didn't make it. Parvo is nasty and you made the right decision not to let him suffer anymore.

At least by going to the shelter for reimbursement, you've brought it to their attention that a dog was infected with the virus on their grounds. They should be bleaching that place out right now. Hopefully another dog can avoid the same fate.

I actually contacted the shelter the night that he tested positive for Parvo. Supposedly they tested all the dogs there already but it seems kind of fishy to me.

DaFace
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Just out of curiosity, how can you fully decontaminate an area like your yard? I wouldn't think that Clorox would be kind to your grass.

Pestilence
07-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, how can you fully decontaminate an area like your yard? I wouldn't think that Clorox would be kind to your grass.

It basically just kills your grass and you deal with it. I know there is another product out there that is supposed to be safe for grass/animals/humans and still kill the virus.

MIAdragon
07-09-2008, 02:30 PM
It basically just kills your grass and you deal with it. I know there is another product out there that is supposed to be safe for grass/animals/humans and still kill the virus.

I know it "lives" for around 6 months so If you do get another puppy right away be careful. Sorry for your loss man.

DaFace
07-09-2008, 02:33 PM

I see. It's good to hear about this thing - we're considering getting a dog in the next few months, so I appreciate you sharing your experience. It's too bad yours didn't end with a happy ending.

Pestilence
07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
I would definitely make sure that the puppy gets all of his vaccinations and that you get him/her a checkup immediately after getting them. I couldn't get mine to the vet soon enough.

MOhillbilly
07-09-2008, 03:02 PM
I would definitely make sure that the puppy gets all of his vaccinations and that you get him/her a checkup immediately after getting them. I couldn't get mine to the vet soon enough.
sometimes the vaccine is where they get parvo.

Pestilence
07-09-2008, 03:10 PM
sometimes the vaccine is where they get parvo.

I know.

MOhillbilly
07-09-2008, 03:17 PM
I know.

keep some tylosin handy along with some save a calf. that save a calf will always get em off on the right foot.