PDA

View Full Version : News Sears Is Now Officially Too Incompetent To Even Take Your Money

wendy666
07-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Have you read the news - Sears Is Now Officially Too Incompetent To Even Take Your Money (http://consumerist.com/tag/Sears-death-watch/?i=5018891&t=sears-is-now-officially-too-incompetent-to-even-take-your-money)

Reading this reminds me of those stories where the guy says, "So, I caught her in bed with another man again, and I said 'that's strike two!'...then she turns around and cheats on me again! Well, that was strike three, so I had to put my foot down."

Deberg_1990
07-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Does anyone under the age of 50 shop at Sears??

blueballs
07-07-2008, 07:16 PM
what do they sell
again

stlchiefs
07-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Is there a story attached to this or just a headline?

Simply Red
07-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Terrible.

Phobia
07-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Looks like a bunch of spam to me.

stlchiefs
07-07-2008, 07:56 PM
WWDTT? What would Dave Thomas think of this? His poor Wendy reduced to spamming.

Logical
07-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I knew they were doomed when they merged with K-Mart.

Baby Lee
07-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Sears is seriously pissing me off. I needed some repair parts for a mower. Used to be I could look up each part's availability online, but they've scrapped that [that I can live with]. But then I call the parts supply, first time straight to hold, wait 8+ minutes, hang up. Second time, someone answers, puts me right back to hold, then hangs up on me after 5 minutes. Call back immediately and the message is now that they're closed. Mind you, it's 3:15 in the afternoon and I know they close at six.
Well, I already had the mower disassembled and wanted to get it back together quick, so I run down there on the hopes that they have the parts I need. The manager couldn't give a shit about the telephone hijinks [oh yeah, that's the folks back in the office, sometimes when they get busy, yada yada yada]. So then I give him the exact part numbers off their schematics so he can retrieve them AS WELL AS the actual parts to be replaced [it was the cog and impeller for a self-propel mechanism]. He comes back back with the 'parts' and rings me up. As fortune would have it, I paused for a bit to look at some reduced power tools, and chanced to glance at the parts he gave me, and while they were the same size and general makeup as the parts I specified, and the impeller was oriented the right way, the cog was oriented to spin the opposite direction, ie, the two parts would never line up correctly.
Took it back to him and again he mumbled something lame about bins being right beside each other. No apologies, no effort to give any semblance of proficiency or giving a damn.
On the way out I asked him what he thought the odds of Sears existing as a brand in 5 years were.

Baconeater
07-07-2008, 08:01 PM
They used to have great hand tools, although I'm not sure they're any better than anything else nowadays. The last two ratchets I bought from them broke within a year.

Baby Lee
07-07-2008, 08:03 PM
They used to have great hand tools, although I'm not sure they're any better than anything else nowadays. The last two ratchets I bought from them broke within a year.

Craftsman or Companion? Craftsman is still forever guaranteed, and I've still never broken a Craftsman ratchet or socket.

Guru
07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Well, this thread was a complete waste of the last 25 seconds. I want a refund.

Skip Towne
07-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Does anyone under the age of 50 shop at Sears??

At one time, Sears owned. I once asked my mom where we got our first TV (in1954). She said "If we had it, it came from Sears". Long, hard fall.

Logical
07-07-2008, 08:12 PM

Call (602) 528-8200 for your refund.

Skip Towne
07-07-2008, 08:14 PM

OK, call 1-800 Tough Shit.

Baconeater
07-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Craftsman or Companion? Craftsman is still forever guaranteed, and I've still never broken a Craftsman ratchet or socket.

They all say Craftsman on them, I've never bought anything else. I've broken a lot of sockets over the years and a couple ratchets along the way but it took many years of use (and misuse) to do it.

Logical
07-07-2008, 08:16 PM
How many other posters remember their parents ordering from Montgomery Wards or Sears based on selecting items out of a catalog. Actually I like this better than buying stuff based on on-line ordering via the Web since their is a real store to complain to when they got things wrong.

Logical
07-07-2008, 08:17 PM
OK, call 1-800 Tough Shit.Beat you but yours was funnier, mine was an actual Sear Customer Service number in Phoenix.

KCChiefsMan
07-07-2008, 08:20 PM
when I was in Boston I needed some clippers for the hedges and I went to sears and grabbed the pair and walked up to the register. 1 manager and 3 salespeople were standing there chatting, I stood there for a bit looking at them. 1 made eye contact for a second and looked away, then I said "is there where I pay for this?"

"just a second"

I put them on the counter, walked out and went to Lowes which is next door.

Seriously, they should be begging for customers and not treating them like $hit, but just about every place in Boston that I went shopping at was kind of like that.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-07-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm shocked anyone would expect more from people who don't even make enough money to be self sufficient. Their company doesn't give a shit about them, why should they give a shit about their company?

Guru
07-07-2008, 08:28 PM
OK, call 1-800 Tough Shit.

Nah, I have that in abundance.

Deberg_1990
07-07-2008, 08:31 PM
At one time, Sears owned. I once asked my mom where we got our first TV (in1954). She said "If we had it, it came from Sears". Long, hard fall.

Yes, i realize this. Thats kind of why i posted that smart ass comment. We live in a disposable, no loyalty society these days. There is so much competition between the "big box" stores we shop where we can get the lowest prices.

DaFace
07-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Is there a story attached to this or just a headline?

I'm wondering the same thing. This doesn't LOOK like spam, but there's next to nothing in the "article" itself. I guess I'm just confused.

EDIT: A quick Google search yielded the real article. MUCH better...

http://consumerist.com/tag/Sears-death-watch/?i=5018891&t=sears-is-now-officially-too-incompetent-to-even-take-your-money

Sears Is Now Officially Too Incompetent To Even Take Your Money

Gregg wants us to know that Sears has just hung up on one of the last people in America who hasn't totally given up on them. He's spent quite a lot of time lately trying to give them $1500 for a lawn tractor, but they just couldn't figure out how to complete the transaction. Yes, Sears has finally gotten to the point that they can't take your money even if you want to give it to them.

My recent problems with Sears have driven me so crazy I checked to see if you had EECB contact info. When I saw all the stuff you had on Sears, I thought you'd love this story. I'll try to be short.

As background, I have an irrational loyalty to Sears. In the last 5 years I have spent probably over $20,000 on appliances, mattresses, and power tools there. I drive by 3 Home Depots to get to Sears; I want them to succeed for some bizarre reason. I don't even get it, haven't really even had great experiences, but nonetheless keep on going back. In May I tried to buy a lawn tractor, which is where the problem began.

ROUND ONE: The day after ordering the tractor online, I went back to check the order status and saw nothing. So I called Sears and they said the order had been declined by AMEX. I asked, "Was anyone going to call and tell me?" and she said, "No, we don't do that." So I called AMEX, told them to take the charge (which they denied declining), and called back to place the order live. She then told me that it would take 3 WEEKS for delivery. (Do you know how much it costs to pay someone to mow 3 acres?) Reluctantly, and accepting the situation in good humor, I agreed.

ROUND TWO: 3 WEEKS later: nothing. No call, no delivery, nothing. I call Sears, and they again blame AMEX. I explained that AMEX cannot possibly be the problem since I spoke to them live. I also noted that in the intervening three weeks, I charged a $15,500 set of airline tickets and $18,100 for a new roof, both of which zipped through without a problem. Nonetheless, I told him I'd replace the order if they didn't make me wait 3 more weeks. He put me on hold for an eternity and then agreed. I had bought the tractor on sale so I actually think he was doing some work to recreate the original terms of the sale. I told him I would not hang up until he confirmed that the charge went through so there would be no more opportunity to blame AMEX. He laughed and agreed, and we hung up friends. I suggested that they call customers when a sale doesn't go through, because that's a way to GET MORE MONEY, and he said he'd pass that along. Which he clearly didn't.

ROUND THREE: My tractor, now ordered twice, was scheduled for delivery today, so I called last night to confirm. What a shocker, same story. Now, normally I would just say screw it and order somewhere else, but (1) it takes a long time to research tractors, and I didn't want to go through that process again, and (2) I had gotten a really good price or $1299 for a $1799 tractor and I wanted them to honor the price. ALso, the sales for tractors all happened around fathers day and now I would be stuck at full price somewhere else. I should also note that one bizarre thing about Sears tractors is they have identical models where one model is on sale and one isn't. I don't get it, but the picture on the site does show them in different colors, but when you click "compare," they are exactly the same - every word, every spec. So when the woman said, I'm sorry, it's out of stock, I laughed (as did she) and suggested that they give me one of the identical ones at the sale price. She said that a supervisor could do that and told me to call back today.

ROUND FOUR: So I called this morning, asked to go to a supervisor. I explained what happened, that I've been waiting 6 weeks now for a tractor, and can't belevee that no one at Sears actually seems to want to take my $1500.

Me: I just want to know, can you get me the same or similar tractor at the same price, delivered this week. (She put me on hold and in the meantime I went to sears.com, found an identical tractor at the same SALE price, in case she was too incompetent to do so).
Manager: That's not possible, I can give you the same tractor for $1800.
Me: Why would I pay more for the same tractor? Can't you honor the same sale price you originally gave me?
Manager: Because it's not our fault the card was declined.
Me: But it is your fault, because the customer service guy told me it was not declined, and promised me the sale went through. We went through a big exercise to make sure it wouldn't be declined.
Manager: I can let you talk to someone else.
Me: No, just do what the last guy (who wasn't a supervisor) did, and give me the original sales price. You have a record of that transaction, right?
Manager: I'm not going to do that. I can let you talk to someone else.
Me: NO, LET"S JUST ORDER THIS OTHER ONE (the identical one I found on sears.com), fully ready to put myself through another round of wholesale incompetence.....sound of silence....the bitch hung up on me!

I got transferred to some other customer service line, and the first thing the woman said to me was, We don't do Sears.com problems. I asked who I could talk to, and she said, there's an email on sears.com. I asked if she wanted my $1500 or wanted to lose a loyal customer, and she said, you'll need to go to sears.com.

Please note, and I swear on this — I have always been polite, never rude, just insistent and clear in what I want. And I've asked each person why a company which loses a sale due to an (alleged) credit card decline doesn't call the customer to let them know about it, and they all say, We just don't do that. I've had $10 orders not go through other companies for one reason or another, and the company at least emails me to let me know. It's like Sears doesn't want to succeed or make the sale, or secretly delights in knowing that I'm sitting around waiting for my non-existent delivery to show up.

And to hang up on one of the last people in America who haven't totally given up on this piece of shit company? Is just plain stupid. Whatever, I guess I'll have to go to Lowes.

Really, Gregg. We'd love to tell you to write an EECB or something to Sears, but let's be honest with ourselves. They just don't care.

Psyko Tek
07-07-2008, 08:35 PM
sears used to have the best hand tools for my job, I work in electronics and need small easy to handle screwdriver, but in the last 10 years those went to crap
ace has some good stuff for my needs

rep to flopnuts he right about the who gives a crap attitude
seen it every where in this country
no loyalty to the employee then **** it it's just another J.O.B

Guru
07-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. This doesn't LOOK like spam, but there's next to nothing in the "article" itself. I guess I'm just confused.
Anybody can say they tried to give Sears $1500 and they couldn't figure out how to do the transaction.

Not many would actually admit it though.

FAX
07-07-2008, 08:37 PM
I bought a toaster oven there once. Best damned toaster oven I ever had.

FAX

KCChiefsMan
07-07-2008, 08:47 PM
unrelated, but what do you guys think about Nebraska Furniture Mart?

stlchiefs
07-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Oh man. My parents just bought a new house and went to NFM to buy a lot of new furniture. HUGE PITA. They attempted to spend over $20,000. Because of mistakes in delivery, incomplete orders and items that were "in stock" but are now out of stock they have since canceled over 75% of the order and gone elsewhere.

Their prices are very good, but the delivery and stock of items is where problems ensue. If you have the time to wait for backordered items, they can't be beat. If you are sitting in a new place and wanting your new furniture delivered 1 week later like they promised, you may think about going elsewhere.

FAX
07-07-2008, 08:58 PM
When it was time to pick up my toaster oven, I just walked in the store, gave them a credit card, and they bagged it up for me. Best damned toaster oven transaction I ever executed.

FAX

Phobia
07-07-2008, 09:18 PM

I'd probably buy a lot of stuff there if I lived in Nebraska.

KCChiefsMan
07-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I'd probably buy a lot of stuff there if I lived in Nebraska.

ya, they might be well advised to change their KC location to something else

Phobia
07-07-2008, 09:26 PM
ya, they might be well advised to change their KC location to something else

I'm a big proponent of shopping locally. I know NFM brings a lot to the KC economy but I just can't bring myself to buy anything there.

I also know that my shopping Lowes & Home Depot is similar and possibly even more harmful to local lumber yards. I do support local suppliers whenever feasible though.

Phobia
07-07-2008, 09:27 PM

EDIT: A quick Google search yielded the real article. MUCH better...

http://consumerist.com/tag/Sears-death-watch/?i=5018891&t=sears-is-now-officially-too-incompetent-to-even-take-your-money

Thanks. That's much better. I assumed they were fishing for ad clicks.

KCChiefsMan
07-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm a big proponent of shopping locally. I know NFM brings a lot to the KC economy but I just can't bring myself to buy anything there.

I also know that my shopping Lowes & Home Depot is similar and possibly even more harmful to local lumber yards. I do support local suppliers whenever feasible though.

I can respect that.

Simply Red
07-07-2008, 09:45 PM

The Pedestrian
07-07-2008, 09:50 PM
what do they sell
again

I found the first digital camera ever created...cost 5 bucks and it had to be plugged into the computer just to give a pixilated piece of crap.

PastorMikH
07-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Oddly enough, I was at a Sears today looking at dishwashers. Had my mind pretty much made up on a $600 dishwasher I'd been researching for close to a month. The salesman latches onto us as soon as we got to the edge of the section. We talk for a few minutes and I ask the one question that would make or break me buying the dishwasher - "Do you have one in stock?" The guy tells me he's going to go check. He comes back and starts trying to sell us a $350 dishwasher instead of the original $600 one we were interested in. Finally, we get him back to the one we are interested in and he says the do have one in stock but questioned us as to why we would want it when the $350 one has many of the same options for a lot less cash.

I couldn't stand it any longer, we told him we'd have to think about it and left.

Why would a salesman who makes a living on commision try to talk me into spending $250 LESS on a different model?

FAX
07-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Oddly enough, I was at a Sears today looking at dishwashers. Had my mind pretty much made up on a $600 dishwasher I'd been researching for close to a month. The salesman latches onto us as soon as we got to the edge of the section. We talk for a few minutes and I ask the one question that would make or break me buying the dishwasher - "Do you have one in stock?" The guy tells me he's going to go check. He comes back and starts trying to sell us a $350 dishwasher instead of the original $600 one we were interested in. Finally, we get him back to the one we are interested in and he says the do have one in stock but questioned us as to why we would want it when the $350 one has many of the same options for a lot less cash.

I couldn't stand it any longer, we told him we'd have to think about it and left.

Why would a salesman who makes a living on commision try to talk me into spending $250 LESS on a different model?

The Spiff, Mr. PastorMikH.

FAX

PastorMikH
07-07-2008, 11:23 PM
what do they sell
again

Extended warranties.

PastorMikH
07-07-2008, 11:36 PM

FAX

Yeah, I told the wife he was pushing it so hard because he was probably making more $ on it than the other. Though, if he'd worked on the model we were interested, he would have made at least SOME commission, which is more than he got from us.

J Diddy
07-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I told the wife he was pushing it so hard because he was probably making more $ on it than the other. Though, if he'd worked on the model we were interested, he would have made at least SOME commission, which is more than he got from us.

oh you'll be back

:thumb:

PastorMikH
07-07-2008, 11:46 PM
oh you'll be back

:thumb:

Eh, I doubt it. I've gotten to the point that when I want power tools, I won't even consider Crapsman. Dewalt might cost more, but in the long run, they are much cheaper since I don't have to replace them every year or two.

Jewish Rabbi
07-07-2008, 11:47 PM
The last time I walked into that store, I was with my parents while they were trying to purchase a vacuum cleaner. They had bought all household appliances from them, even had the NFM credit card. However, when they went to pay for it, the clerk demanded they give their social security number for no apparent reason. Many f-bombs and supervisors later, they bought the vacuum at Best Buy.

FAX
07-07-2008, 11:51 PM

I'm not sure if Sears does this any more, but they were taken to court at one time for "bait and switch" tactics. Their method for bringing this technique to the floor was the "spiff" - bonusing the salesperson for moving the customer from the advertised item to another, more profitable one.

If the salesperson you encountered was adamant about the lesser priced appliance, my guess would be that he/she had a larger spiff on the cheaper model. Circuit City (weren't they associated with Sears at one point?) used to employ this same technique by moving customers from Sony to Mitsubishi products. Even though the Mitsubishis were much less expensive, they were far more profitable.

FAX

J Diddy
07-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Eh, I doubt it. I've gotten to the point that when I want power tools, I won't even consider Crapsman. Dewalt might cost more, but in the long run, they are much cheaper since I don't have to replace them every year or two.

I don't think I've bought anything from sears in years, probably 4

washing machine
kenmore wasn't that great

Logical
07-07-2008, 11:58 PM

FAXDepends on the retail outlet but many of them no longer pay their employees commissions but do give them incentives based on certain models, brands and of course extras like warranties. Still pretty stupid no matter how you look at it.

Phobia
07-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Man, pastoring must pay pretty well. I can't even afford a clothesline.

J Diddy
07-08-2008, 12:15 AM

perhaps Mr. Newspaperman should spend his time trying to get people to buy ads instead of hosting that twisted fatchatter.com (which I've heard might suck)

Phobia
07-08-2008, 12:42 AM
perhaps Mr. Newspaperman should spend his time trying to get people to buy ads instead of hosting that twisted fatchatter.com (which I've heard might suck)

Would you like to buy an ad?

Guru
07-08-2008, 12:51 AM

Well, he is charging for his opinions now so why not.

J Diddy
07-08-2008, 12:52 AM

Why perhaps I would, could you provide me with a rate sheet?

J Diddy
07-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Well, he is charging for his opinions now so why not.

Watch the language, it is not opinion, it is unsubstantiated fact

Guru
07-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Watch the language, it is not opinion, it is unsubstantiated fact

Ooops sorry. You are absolutely correct sir!!!:thumb:

PastorMikH
07-08-2008, 11:27 AM

Not really. Some dude named Kloster was going to buy it for me and pay for it with his new credit card.

:)

penguinz
07-08-2008, 11:41 AM
They all say Craftsman on them, I've never bought anything else. I've broken a lot of sockets over the years and a couple ratchets along the way but it took many years of use (and misuse) to do it.
If they are craftsman all you have to do is take it in and they will replace with no questions asked. I have seen someone do this with a wrench that had to be 30 years old.

ct
07-08-2008, 12:09 PM

Sorry sir, this is Sears, we don't do refunds.

Valiant
07-08-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure if Sears does this any more, but they were taken to court at one time for "bait and switch" tactics. Their method for bringing this technique to the floor was the "spiff" - bonusing the salesperson for moving the customer from the advertised item to another, more profitable one.

If the salesperson you encountered was adamant about the lesser priced appliance, my guess would be that he/she had a larger spiff on the cheaper model. Circuit City (weren't they associated with Sears at one point?) used to employ this same technique by moving customers from Sony to Mitsubishi products. Even though the Mitsubishis were much less expensive, they were far more profitable.

FAX

??

Back in the commission days at CC... Yes and no.. Certain items paid more, but if you wanted the one item and we had it in stock you had/wanted to sell that one to them(if not associate was a piece of shit).. CC and Sears have never been connected, worked there from 99-06.. I do miss commission though because I made 45k working parttime 20-25 hours a week.. As for Sony to Mitsubishi, They just started carrying them, so maybe you are thinking Hitachi, which paid crap also.. I think you just happened to have scumbags for sales associates..

They are actually bringing back part commission though.. Base pay anywhere from 8-14 dollars and hour plus anywhere from 1-12 and hour bonus if you hit your numbers.. If you are in the Home Entertainment dept..

Unfortunately I will admit, I became a manager there after I got laid off last year just because they pay me so much for doing so little..

Which brings back another point.. That company is ripping off its stockholders.. They somehow are broke and stocks keep dropping, but yet they somehow found out a way to pay salespeople a commission bonus if they do well?? Where did this extra money come from, when companies for years have been saying there is hardly any markup in plasmas and lcds anymore???

The store I work at is fun, but the corporate people are backstabbing, lying dickheads who are killing the company..

FAX
07-08-2008, 01:38 PM
That's funny, Mr. Valiant. Maybe different CC stores carry different items? I based my post on two factoids: 1) I have purchased both Sony and Mitsubishi (MGA) TVs from CC and 2) I had a friend who was a store manager at the local CC. It was the store on West End next to the salon where I met the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX which is now closed. Anyway, according to my friend, the spiff on the Mitsubishi TVs (for example) was far higher than the spiff on the Sonys. The idea was to interest customers in the Mitsubishis by providing an incentive to the salesperson to do so. This was, of course, before CC dropped their commission structure.

FAX