PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Tony Gonzalez saved a mans life today

Fairplay
07-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Seriously..................he's a cool dude man.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25576387/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A California man says Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez of the Kansas City Chiefs kept him from choking to death.

“Tony saved my life. There’s no doubt,” Ken Hunter, a shipping company manager, told The Associated Press in a phone interview from Huntington Beach, Calif.

“Tony came up behind me and gave me the Heimlich maneuver. Thank God he was there.”

Gonzalez, a nine-time Pro Bowl selection who has set numerous NFL records, was having dinner with his wife, brother and 5-week-old daughter at Capone’s restaurant in Huntington Beach Thursday night. Hunter, 45, was dining with his girlfriend at the next table when suddenly a piece of meat stuck in his throat.

“I tried to take a drink of water, but I couldn’t swallow,” Hunter told The AP. “Then I couldn’t breathe. That’s a terrible feeling. I couldn’t breathe. Then I guess I started to panic.”

Gonzalez, sitting with his back to Hunter’s table, looked around when he heard Hunter’s companion yelling.

“She was screaming, ‘He can’t breathe, he can’t breathe,”’ Gonzalez said by phone from California, where he lives in the offseason. “The whole restaurant was quiet. Nobody was doing anything.”

Then I saw he was turning blue. Everybody in the restaurant was just kind of sitting there wide-eyed.”

The 6-foot-5 Gonzalez, about a foot taller than Hunter, jumped out of his chair and came up behind the stricken man and began to perform the Heimlich maneuver.

“After just a few seconds, the piece of meat popped out,” Hunter said. “I could breathe again. It’s a good thing Tony is so tall because I had stood up — I think.”

Diana Martin, a restaurant employee, said no one else seemed to know what to do.

“He was so lucky Tony was there,” Martin said. “In a situation like that, every second counts. It helped a lot that Tony’s a big, strong guy because you have to be able to apply some pretty good pressure. I don’t think I would have been strong enough to help him.”

Hunter went into the restroom to clean up and didn’t realize he’d been saved by a famous athlete until he came out.

“I’m a big NFL fan and I recognized him right away. I was still kind of dazed when I went over and thanked him and said, ‘What can I do for you?’ I guess I said it about 1,000 times.”

Gonzalez, who has been active in charity and community activities during a brilliant career with the Chiefs, said he had no intention of having the incident become public.

“The next night I had a dinner for my grandmother’s 90th birthday, and people were saying, ‘Why didn’t you tell me about that?’ I honestly don’t want to make a big deal out of it. But of course it does give me a lot of satisfaction to know that I was able to help somebody.”

One of the most productive receivers in pro football history, Gonzalez holds the NFL record for tight ends with 820 career receptions and 102 catches in a season. He needs only 79 more yards receiving to become the career leader among tight ends.

He has never received any formal instruction in the Heimlich maneuver.

“I had seen it done, so I just did it,” Gonzalez said. “When you find yourself in those situations where you have to take action in a crucial situation, you just do it. I got the same feeling I get when I go on a hospital visit.”’

Hunter is a lifelong fan of the San Diego Chargers, one of Kansas City’s key rivals in the AFC West, and plans to be at the game when the Chiefs visit the Chargers on Nov. 9.

“I’m Tony’s No. 1 fan now,” he said.

And what will this longtime follower of the Chargers do if they’re ahead by four or five points in the final minute and Gonzalez runs into the end zone and leaps up for what would be the game-winning touchdown for K.C.?

“I’m going to be yelling for Tony to catch the ball,” Hunter said. “I think all my friends will understand.”

stlchiefs
07-07-2008, 07:31 PM
repost: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=186930

Not your fault, bad thread title.

Oh yeah this was last Thursday as well, not today. So on 2nd thought your thread title sucks too. :)

Sure-Oz
Seriously a repizzle just below you!

blueballs
http://www.repost.com

CrazyPhuD
07-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Dude....post and repost were in a boat, post fell out and who was left?

BigMeatballDave
07-07-2008, 07:32 PM
This is the 2nd life he has saved. Remember that guy on the sidelines he knocked down?

Fairplay
07-07-2008, 07:33 PM
oops, i wish the name of the thread was more accurate. I thought i searched.

Dumb poor pitiful me.

blueballs
ha ha
ha

Fairplay

repost.

stlchiefs
07-07-2008, 07:34 PM

The Captain? :shrug:

blueballs
07-07-2008, 07:39 PM
a couple of oars

J Diddy
07-07-2008, 08:06 PM
The Captain? :shrug:

nah he was after the great whale

QuikSsurfer
07-07-2008, 08:19 PM
A whale?!

http://www.coolwatersprods.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/chanmobydickweb.jpg.w300h189.jpg

FAX
07-07-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm going to say that horrid, giant creature with the tentacles and the enormous, beaked maw that Davey Jones made friends with in order to call him up from the dark, murky depths to attack innocent sailors merely trying to earn a living. Davey Jones was a bad, bad man. Anyway, when post fell out of the boat, I'm guessing that the creature surfaced, ate repost, and stayed in the boat for awhile rummaging through all their stuff.

FAX

QuikSsurfer
07-07-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm guessing that the creature surfaced, ate repost, and stayed in the boat for awhile rummaging through all their stuff.

FAX

How much is that Tetris Cup worth to you? I will take it, unless I'm handsomely rewarded.

FAX
07-07-2008, 08:35 PM
How much is that Tetris Cup worth to you? I will take it, unless I'm handsomely rewarded.

It's all yours, Mr. QuikSsurfer. I only got it back because Mr. Captain Obvious was driving me crazy with all his "bam you this" and "bam you that" notes on the score sheet. I'm through with Tetris forever. It takes over an hour to score over 1 million points on that game which, apparently, is what it takes to defeat Mr. Captain Obviously Has Too Much Time On His Hands.

FAX

QuikSsurfer
07-07-2008, 08:38 PM
It's all yours, Mr. QuikSsurfer. I only got it back because Mr. Captain Obvious was driving me crazy with all his "bam you this" and "bam you that" notes on the score sheet. I'm through with Tetris forever. It takes over an hour to score over 1 million points on that game which, apparently, is what it takes to defeat Mr. Captain Obviously Has Too Much Time On His Hands.

FAX

I see your play time is over an hour. You can keep the title. I really just want to have the cool icon under my handle. I'm sure it feels good.

FAX
07-07-2008, 08:39 PM
I see your play time is over an hour. You can keep the title. I really just want to have the cool icon under my handle. I'm sure it feels good.

Actually, I didn't know it was there, Mr. QuikSsurfer. I've never seen it. Is it under the username or whatever? I use "at work mode", so I can't tell who's won any prizes or what their avatar things look like.

FAX

QuikSsurfer
07-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Actually, I didn't know it was there, Mr. QuikSsurfer. I've never seen it. Is it under the username or whatever? I use "at work mode", so I can't tell who's won any prizes or what their avatar things look like.

FAX

Right under where your avatar would be. Hover your mouse over it and it reads "Tetris Champion"

Mr. Flopnuts
07-07-2008, 08:43 PM

FAX

Deberg_1990
07-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I think the larger question here is: Was Tony wearing flip-flops?

QuikSsurfer
07-07-2008, 08:45 PM

:LOL:

Ari Chi3fs
07-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Wow. Normally its the Chiefs that are choking.

Farzin
07-07-2008, 09:12 PM

LMAO:LOL:

KCChiefsMan
07-07-2008, 09:23 PM

NICE :LOL:

CrazyPhuD
07-07-2008, 11:52 PM

LMAO Now think of how many times we would have actually choked if TG wasn't there? :doh!:

Ari Chi3fs
07-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Funny last night, after I posted the Choke comment... a sportcaster on ESPN, said after telling the story, "To his Chiefs teammates, Tony Gonzalez will NOT accept choking in 2008."

StcChief
07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
so TG saved the other Charger fan....

BIG_DADDY
07-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Everyone else just stands around. This is so typical now.

CosmicPal
07-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Everyone else just stands around. This is so typical now.

Yep....read "The Tipping Point" for it presents some insights into why "groups" of people do what they do or why/how they react to certain situations.

If nobody does something, everyone assumes someone will do something. But, as soon as someone does do something, then everyone's on the bandwagon.

But, even more today, I honestly think people just don't want to bother for fear of a lame lawsuit.

For instance, had Tony G did what he did and failed to save the man's life, since he isn't CPR certified, he could've been sued for recklessness. And you know with his status- he certainly would have been sued if he didn't save that man's life.

FAX
07-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Wow. I hadn't even thought of that, Mr. CosmicPal. But, you're right. Tony risked a lot to save that Charger fan. I'd say that guy should give Tony some money and his wife.

FAX

BIG_DADDY
07-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Yep....read "The Tipping Point" for it presents some insights into why "groups" of people do what they do or why/how they react to certain situations.

If nobody does something, everyone assumes someone will do something. But, as soon as someone does do something, then everyone's on the bandwagon.

But, even more today, I honestly think people just don't want to bother for fear of a lame lawsuit.

For instance, had Tony G did what he did and failed to save the man's life, since he isn't CPR certified, he could've been sued for recklessness. And you know with his status- he certainly would have been sued if he didn't save that man's life.

This is one of the things that goes up my ass a mile. I could list you things that would make your stomach turn that have happened out here recently from an 80 year old lady doing a face plant on concrete and breaking her face and nobody helped to guy wrecking his motorcycle and people literally walked over him without doing anything for the guy to some dude beating beating his young infant to death on the side of a road with people standing there asking him to top while he stomped it to death. I posted a thread on that. It's just pathetic.

FAX
07-08-2008, 11:52 AM
I blame video games.

FAX

Valiant
07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
espn.com comment section...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3477130

My Name is Mildred and I'm ken Hunter's girlfriend and up to now I'm still traumatize of what happened to him, I keep on playing how he look like that moment and tease him " you're surely look like a goner.., You look like you're going to the light there..don't dare do that again because if you die on me, I'll kill you!..don't do that again and chew your food well! It happened so fast!..I'm looking down at my food and then I look at him saw that he's turning deep red kind of blueish, and I heard choking sound..I was so scared to death thinking I'm gonna lose him that moment, I tried to give him a karate chop on his back and finally I got up and tried to do heimlich manuever as I have a training of this for being a nurse while calling out for help for whatever I do it's not working and I was so glad that Tony leaped from his chair and gave him the heimlich manuever too.I know for sure that without him..Ken might not be with us today for the look in his eyes that haunts me when I remember that moment..seeing patient dying in my field of work.. that's for sure the look that is not a laughing matter..people might think that we are making a big deal out of it or maybe Tony might think so too because he keeps on saying that it's no big deal when we offer to pay their meal..a bottle of wine or anything..he said he's just glad he'd helped.. little that he know we are really so grateful!I myself still rattled about that night..I felt a tight squeeze in my heart when I saw him choking

BIG_DADDY
07-08-2008, 12:10 PM
I blame video games.

FAX

People have just become selfish and apathetic.

FAX
07-08-2008, 12:14 PM
People have just become selfish and apathetic.

That too, of course. But, realistically, Mr. BIG_DADDY, humankind has always been only a hair's breadth away from total anarchy. Remember that it only took about 1 day for New Orleans to revert to a caveman morality after Katrina struck. And that was the government.

FAX

blueballs
07-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Chiefs TE Gonzalez lauded by Obama, Bush for Heimlich maneuver
Associated Press

Updated: July 26, 2008, 5:37 PM ET

Tony Gonzalez Saves A Life

RIVER FALLS, Wis. -- Saving a man's life has brought Tony Gonzalez praise from the current president and possibly the next one.

The Kansas City Chiefs Pro Bowl tight end met Sen. Barack Obama during a campaign stop in California, and the Democratic candidate for president congratulated him for stopping a man from choking to death.

About the same time, Gonzalez opened his mail and read a letter from the president and first lady Laura Bush.

"The President said, 'Thank you for helping out your fellow human being,' " Gonzalez said Saturday. "He said he and Laura wished me good luck in the upcoming season."

As a nine-time Pro Bowler who needs less than 200 yards receiving to set the all-time record for tight ends, Gonzalez has long been accustomed to compliments. He already owns the NFL record for his position with 820 catches and 66 touchdowns. But coming to the rescue of a man in a California restaurant on July 3 seems to have added to his fame in ways he would never have dreamed.

"I got e-mails from people all over, literally," he said. "Friends of mine in Europe saw the story and got in touch with me."

Gonzalez was having dinner with his wife, brother and baby daughter in Huntington Beach, Calif., when Ken Hunter, sitting at the next table, got a piece of meat lodged in his throat.

Hunter's companion began screaming, "He can't breathe, he can't breathe," and Gonzalez looked around to see. He noticed the man was turning blue, and then saw that everybody in the crowded restaurant was just staring "wide eyed."

So Gonzalez, although he'd never been trained in the Heimlich maneuver, jumped to his feet, wrapped his long, sinewy arms around the stricken man and began to squeeze. After a few seconds, the meat popped out and Hunter, a shipping company manager in Huntington Beach, recovered.

"Tony saved my life," Hunter later told The Associated Press.

"I never anticipated what an impact this would have," said Gonzalez, who arrived in River Falls on Thursday for the Chiefs' training camp.

"But now, looking back, I think with all the negative stuff that's in the media these days about NFL players and athletes in general, when a story like that comes out, it really grabs people's attention. I know it was an incredible situation the way it came down. I believe things happen for a reason. Hopefully, there'll be a domino affect."

Chiefs president Carl Peterson was traveling in Europe when his star tight end made news off the football field.

"Nothing surprises me about the abilities of Tony Gonzalez," Peterson said. "Thank God he was there, in the right place at the right time and reacted the way he did. The story was all over the world."

Shortly afterward, Peterson happened to run into Steve Tisch, part owner of the New York Giants, in France.

"We hugged each other and right away he said, 'Hey, how about your tight end saving that guy's life?' "

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

chiefs1111
07-26-2008, 04:30 PM
even after a few weeks,still a great story...

blueballs
07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Clinton plans to thank him also
in person
when October is on his arm

vailpass
07-26-2008, 04:43 PM
TG saved a man's life today?
Big deal.
Chuck Norris saves millions of lives every day by choosing not to kill them.

HypnotizedMonkey
07-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Tony saves Carl's life every day.