PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Has anyone tried that whole wheat crust pizza from Papa Johns?

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2008, 12:28 AM
It's pretty good. I don't eat pizza normally because it's loaded with bad shit, but now that there's a whole wheat crust it makes it doable.

Guru
07-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Hmmm, I may have to try that.

SBK
07-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I've been wanting to try it. We have a New York style pizza place by us that has a whole wheat crust that's fantastic, so Papa John's hasn't been given the opportunity yet.

J Diddy
07-08-2008, 12:38 AM
It's pretty good. I don't eat pizza normally because it's loaded with bad shit, but now that there's a whole wheat crust it makes it doable.

are you serious?

SLAG
07-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Minksys has a good Honey Wheat that they use... I usually get it when I get a Calzone but hell its been forever since ive gone to minskys

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2008, 12:46 AM
are you serious?

lol yes

J Diddy
07-08-2008, 12:50 AM
lol yes

http://www.papajohns.com/menu/popup_pepperoni.htm

take a good look at the nutritional info on the whole wheat versus hand tossed there

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2008, 01:04 AM
http://www.papajohns.com/menu/popup_pepperoni.htm

take a good look at the nutritional info on the whole wheat versus hand tossed there

The main thing I'm looking for when reading that is the saturated fat and fiber. The wheat crust is much better for you if you're going to eat pizza based on those numbers right there. White bread is like pop...you should say good bye to it forever and never even think about putting it in your meal plan.

J Diddy
07-08-2008, 01:12 AM
The main thing I'm looking for when reading that is the saturated fat and fiber. The wheat crust is much better for you if you're going to eat pizza based on those numbers right there. White bread is like pop...you should say good bye to it forever and never even think about putting it in your meal plan.

you realize the saturated fat is the same as hand tossed and dietary fiber is a difference of 4 grams per slice.
300 calories a slice though.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2008, 01:18 AM
you realize the saturated fat is the same as hand tossed and dietary fiber is a difference of 4 grams per slice.
300 calories a slice though.

Yes. Wheat bread is soooooooooo much better. You get your grains that way. Calories are no biggy.

Guru
07-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Yes. Wheat bread is soooooooooo much better. You get your grains that way. Calories are no biggy.

Just 10 extra minutes on the treadmill.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Just 10 extra minutes on the treadmill.

if you work out, calories shouldn't be a big deal, but everyone's body is different.

SBK
07-08-2008, 01:24 AM
White bread and pastas using enriched flour are horrible for you, might as well eat a crust of sugar.

Whole wheat is much better for you. And none of that has anything to do with calories, fat, or anything else.

Guru
07-08-2008, 01:25 AM
if you work out, calories shouldn't be a big deal, but everyone's body is different.

I'm just being facetious. I couldn't care less about the calories. Wheat is better than white any day of the week.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-08-2008, 01:46 AM
If it's all white, It's all right.

:D

Oh, and it's alright. I've had better, I've had worse.

KCChiefsMan
07-08-2008, 02:21 AM
I will never eat Papa Johns again....makes me sick thinking about it after watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

Stewie
07-08-2008, 06:31 AM
Is this like ordering a Big Mac and fries with a diet Coke? Sounds like it to me. The one "good" part in the entire meal counteracts all the other crap on a fast food pizza.

J Diddy
07-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Is this like ordering a Big Mac and fries with a diet Coke? Sounds like it to me. The one "good" part in the entire meal counteracts all the other crap on a fast food pizza.

My point exactly, if you're trying to eat healthy best to avoid pizza altogether.

Old Dog
07-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I tried the wheat crust once, but didn't like it at all.

J Diddy
07-08-2008, 10:03 AM
I tried the wheat crust once, but didn't like it at all.

never tried it, probably never will

Demonpenz
07-08-2008, 10:05 AM
the whole diet coke thing with the burgers and fry's doesn't bother me much because saving 200 or so cals is saving cals. Although the chemicals in Diet might kill you as well

Bugeater
07-08-2008, 10:06 AM
My point exactly, if you're trying to eat healthy best to avoid pizza altogether.

Especially Domino's, there's is the worst.

Pestilence
07-08-2008, 10:07 AM
It's ok. There really wasn't anything about that made me want to order it again. It doesn't really fold well either.

eazyb81
07-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Especially Domino's, there's is the worst.

Domino's is just nasty. I'm not sure how they stay in business.

markk
07-08-2008, 10:11 AM

do you know any websites with good meal plans? i just dont know what is good and what isnt in a lot of cases. see i thought pizza was bad, because it was greasy, but i didn't know it was the crust or that it had a million cals a slice. i generally eat wheat bread but i had no idea white was so bad.

RedNeckRaider
07-08-2008, 10:16 AM
the whole diet coke thing with the burgers and fry's doesn't bother me much because saving 200 or so cals is saving cals. Although the chemicals in Diet might kill you as well

I do not drink much soda pop but the diet sodas I have tried just flat out suck. That said I like Bud light and from what I have read most around here hate that. So I guess my taste buds my not be the best to go by :spock:

Spicy McHaggis
07-08-2008, 10:16 AM
i generally eat wheat bread but i had no idea white was so bad.

It's just that white bread essentially contains no natural nutrients and breaks down rather quickly into sugar. Also, look on the back when you buy wheat bread and make sure it's "unbleached".

Fish
07-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Nutritional Info for Restaurants..... Some interesting and scary info in there.

http://www.dietfacts.com/fastfood.asp

Chili's Awesome Blossom anybody?

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/8650/imgprocrt7.gif

http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutrition-facts/chilis-grill-and-bar-awesome-blossom-hand-batters-and-seasoned-fried-colossal-onion-and-seas37865.htm

Spicy McHaggis
07-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Nutritional Info for Restaurants..... Some interesting and scary info in there.

One of the first restaurants I worked in had those cheese/bacon/ranch fries. It had similar nutritional value to that Awesome Blossom, if not worse. People would order it as an entrée, with a side plus whatever sugar bevarage they wanted.

You eat that 3 days in a row and I promise you, you're dead by the 4th.

J Diddy
07-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Domino's is just nasty. I'm not sure how they stay in business.

hey I've got a ton of people who order from my 3 stores every week who'd like to differ

markk
07-08-2008, 12:02 PM
i am not saying it's good for you but that serving size is "one order". who eats a whole awesome blossom by themselves? that should be for like 5 people.

InChiefsHell
07-08-2008, 12:14 PM
hey I've got a ton of people who order from my 3 stores every week who'd like to differ

I used to LOVE Dominoes back in the 80's...then they changed crusts and I think sauce or something, but the last time I ordered Dominoes was like 1994. Glad you are doing well, but I don't know anyone who orders Dominoes...

Fish
07-08-2008, 12:26 PM
i am not saying it's good for you but that serving size is "one order". who eats a whole awesome blossom by themselves? that should be for like 5 people.

I doubt that it's normally divided into 1/5ths, but...

If you divide that by 5, that's still 542 calories for an entree..... over 1/4 of your daily recommended intake...

And 41g of fat.... over half your daily recommended intake...

For an entree...

Follow that up with a Ribs and Chicken meal, and it's no wonder why you're in pain after a big meal at a tasty restaurant:

Chili's Baby Back Ribs and Chicken:
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6418/imgprocuw8.gif
http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutrition-facts/chilis-grill-and-bar-baby-back-ribs-and-chicken-half-rack-of-double-basted-bbq-ribs-and-a-mont37958.htm

Considering 1/5th of an Awesome Blossom and the Ribs/Chicken combo(which I've likely done at Chili's before), that combination is a scary intake of Sodium... 6142g of Sodium!

evolve27
07-08-2008, 12:33 PM
I used to LOVE Dominoes back in the 80's...then they changed crusts and I think sauce or something, but the last time I ordered Dominoes was like 1994. Glad you are doing well, but I don't know anyone who orders Dominoes...

I've seen about 3 out of 4 people order Dominoes at the super 8 motel I used to work at even though the key cards had pizza hut advertised on them, I never seemed to understand their popularity, because outside of that job I never thought Dominoes was a real competitor.

markk
07-08-2008, 12:36 PM
i dont care about calories. i burn plenty of those. right now basically i just dont drink any kind of soft drink or alcohol except very very rarely, i dont eat anything fried, and i rarely eat red meat. that regimen combined with some moderate exercise did wonders.

Bugeater
07-08-2008, 12:53 PM
It doesn't help that there is only one store left in Omaha.

DaKCMan AP
07-08-2008, 01:00 PM
I've seen about 3 out of 4 people order Dominoes at the super 8 motel I used to work at even though the key cards had pizza hut advertised on them, I never seemed to understand their popularity, because outside of that job I never thought Dominoes was a real competitor.

Domino's is THE competitor. Gainesville, like most college towns, was fast-food pizza crazy. There were multiple Domino's, Pizza Huts, Papa John's, Hungry Howie's, Gumby's, Five Star's and even a Vocelli's. All extremely busy. I'd say Domino's was probably the highest grossing followed by Papa John's. Hungry Howie's and Five Star got a lot of business because they were cheaper.

Myself, I prefer NY style Pizza from little Italian restaurants. I'm spoiled since I grew up in South Florida which is practically NY South. Or was 10 years ago before a whole new influx entered.

InChiefsHell
07-08-2008, 01:13 PM

Really?? No way...I thought Bellevue still had one...but yeah, they've definately gone away around here, now that you mention it. Kinda like Breadeux Pizza, used to be a ton around here now I don't know if there are any at all...

irishjayhawk
07-08-2008, 01:15 PM
So, Vanilla, if McDonalds came out with a whole wheat bun, would you eat there more often?

Bugeater
07-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Really?? No way...I thought Bellevue still had one...but yeah, they've definately gone away around here, now that you mention it. Kinda like Breadeux Pizza, used to be a ton around here now I don't know if there are any at all...

Eh, there might be one in Bellevue, but the downtown location is the only one left that I know of. I worked at that one in the 80s and there were stores all over town back then. I remember a Breadeux being in a strip mall at 96th and Park Dr for a short time back in the late 80s but I don't recall them being anything special. IIRC they showed up around the same time as Little Ceasers.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
So, Vanilla, if McDonalds came out with a whole wheat bun, would you eat there more often?

ewwww no gross

I don't eat red meat. Just turkey, chicken and fish. On that wheat pizza they let me have chicken.

irishjayhawk
07-08-2008, 02:23 PM
ewwww no gross

I don't eat red meat. Just turkey, chicken and fish. On that wheat pizza they let me have chicken.

So a MCD's chicken sandwich on a whole wheat bun?

J Diddy
07-08-2008, 03:36 PM

That's the problem with franchises, some suck some are good

I get crap for a shitty franchisee 2000 miles away that i've never met.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
So a MCD's chicken sandwich on a whole wheat bun?

Vanilla Thunder doesn't eat anything at McDonald's.

J Diddy
07-08-2008, 03:41 PM

J diddy wishes he didn't but Mcdonalds is highly effective at children advertising

J diddy occasional has to throw the kids a happy meal to beat down the angry masses.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2008, 03:44 PM
J diddy wishes he didn't but Mcdonalds is highly effective at children advertising

J diddy occasional has to throw the kids a happy meal to beat down the angry masses.

lol when I was younger Ronald Mac always creeped me out.

Stewie
07-08-2008, 03:51 PM

Yet you eat at Papa John's. It's the same horrible shit except 10x the cheese.

Pablo
07-08-2008, 04:08 PM
It varies on location, but for the chains we have in St. Joe, MO...it goes something like this.

1. Papa Johns
2. Caseys
3. Pizza Hut
4. Godfathers
5. Dominos
6. Little Caesars
7. CiCi's

And no, I haven't tried the whole wheat crust, but I've thought about it. Not because I expect it to be that much healthier(anything with that much cheese is not going to be healthy), but because I'm wondering how much different it tastes.

QuikSsurfer
07-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Minksys has a good Honey Wheat that they use... I usually get it when I get a Calzone but hell its been forever since ive gone to minskys

I love Minskys - got one right down from me on 39th.
I eat there probably once a week.

Now that Papa Kinos has shut down, Minskys is my pizza of choice.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Yet you eat at Papa John's. It's the same horrible shit except 10x the cheese.

lol that's the first time I had pizza in a year and a half.

Jenny Gump
07-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Papa Johns sucks ass.

Skip Towne
07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Papa Johns sucks ass.

Potty mouth white girl.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Papa Johns sucks ass.

redrum's mom's ass too though right?

Jenny Gump
07-08-2008, 06:50 PM
redrum's mom's ass too though right?

What you said 'White Lightnin'.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2008, 06:59 PM
What you said 'White Lightnin'.

that's what she said...or...um

KcMizzou
07-08-2008, 07:37 PM
lol when I was younger Ronald Mac always creeped me out.This doesn't have much to do with anything, but I thought it was interesting.

There was a show about the origin of McDonalds on MSNBC last night. One franchise owner started advertising with a clown. That was the birth of Ronald...

That clown was none other than... Willard Scott.

And now you know...

the rest of the story.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-08-2008, 07:39 PM
This doesn't have much to do with anything, but I thought it was interesting.

There was a show about the origin of McDonalds on MSNBC last night. One franchise owner started advertising with a clown. That was the birth of Ronald...

That clown was none other than... Willard Scott.

And now you know...

the rest of the story.

I always had a feeling Willard Scott loved little kids in a naughty way

J Diddy
07-08-2008, 10:16 PM
lol when I was younger Ronald Mac always creeped me out.

I understand, now he hits me as a pedofile with some mental hospital friends.

My kids could give a shit about Ronald McDonald though.

KCChiefsMan
07-09-2008, 12:48 AM
for some reason I like Gumby's the best around here. They never check for a coupon when I say I have a "buy one get one free card" and the Big Ass supreme kicks major butt! Of course, I'm usually drunk when I order it which makes anything 10 times better and the next morning I'm hungover and when you're hungover greasy pizza is the bomb!

ClevelandBronco
07-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Anthony's Pizza. Exactly the right amount of orange grease dripping down your wrist when you fold their perfect NY-style white dough pizza down the middle and eat it like a Mexican street taco.

You guys may live longer than I will, but you won't live better.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-09-2008, 01:01 AM
I understand, now he hits me as a pedofile with some mental hospital friends.

My kids could give a shit about Ronald McDonald though.

They have tunnel vision. They want the good shit in the happy meal. I like where their heads' are it.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-09-2008, 01:04 AM
You guys may live longer than I will, but you won't live better.

Lucky for you, you get to enjoy the Broncos during your short tenure on earth. Are you sure you're not in hell? haha

ClevelandBronco
07-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Lucky for you, you get to enjoy the Broncos during your short tenure on earth. Are you sure you're not in hell? haha

I've seen my favorite team lift the Stanley Cup a couple of times. I've gotten to see the Broncos take home the Lombardi.

It's working out for me fairly well sports-wise.

I'd still like to hear about the Rockies or the Indians winning a Series. Or maybe the Cavs taking a title.

Mind you, I wouldn't be watching the Series unless there was just about nothing else to do. And I wouldn't be watching the Cavs under any circumstances.

ClevelandBronco
07-09-2008, 01:11 AM
And I'd really enjoy seeing the Browns win the Super Bowl, but that's kind of like hoping to see the Chiefs win one.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-09-2008, 01:17 AM
And I'd really enjoy seeing the Browns win the Super Bowl, but that's kind of like hoping to see the Chiefs win one.

bastard

ClevelandBronco
07-09-2008, 01:18 AM
bastard

Agreed.

chiefs1111
07-09-2008, 01:42 AM
wow,I didn't know people actually ate Papa John's I think their pizza is horrible

Chiefs Pantalones
07-09-2008, 01:47 AM
wow,I didn't know people actually ate Papa John's I think their pizza is horrible

Your mom's horrible.

InChiefsHell
07-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Up here in Omaha...Mama's Pizza on Saddlecreek Rd. That is one fine pie...