PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink BBQ Question

HonestChieffan
07-08-2008, 06:52 AM
I have 20 folks coming into OP for 2 nights in a few weeks. I dont go to OP unless I am forced to and have not kept up on the BBQ joints...They are staying on College Blvd. I know Haywards would be an easy one to send them to. But wondered where you experts would suggest?

Stewie
07-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Oklahoma Joe's at 119th and Strang Line or Jack's Stack at 95th and Metcalf.

Dartgod
07-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Jack Stack at 95th and Metcalf would be your best bet.

BigRedChief
07-08-2008, 06:56 AM
I have 20 folks coming into OP for 2 nights in a few weeks. I dont go to OP unless I am forced to and have not kept up on the BBQ joints...They are staying on College Blvd. I know Haywards would be an easy one to send them to. But wondered where you experts would suggest?
Jack Stack BBQ on Metcalf. Best BBQ in town overall(IMHO). It's right down the street from the hotels on college. Right across the street from that old mall on Metcalf.

Dartgod
07-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Oklahoma Joe's at 119th and Strang Line or Jack's Stack at 95th and Metcalf.
OK Joe's is good, but with 20 people, he would be better off at Jack Stack. OK Joe's doesn't have waiters to take and bring your order. You have to stand in line and place your order, then wait for it to take to your table. Unless they do something different for large groups?

Stewie
07-08-2008, 07:08 AM
OK Joe's is good, but with 20 people, he would be better off at Jack Stack. OK Joe's doesn't have waiters to take and bring your order. You have to stand in line and place your order, then wait for it to take to your table. Unless they do something different for large groups?

I was just offering up a couple of options near College. I've eaten at both places often. OK Joe's can serve 20 people in short order, but if they prefer a traditional sit down type restaurant then Jack's Stack fills the bill.

kcfan82
Zardas is at 87th and Quivira but I hate that place....

Take them up to the Legends area in KCK and get some Arthur Bryants, and if that isn't possible go to Oklahoma Joes.

kcfan82
Oh, and Gates is just a quick drive to 103rd and State Line.

StcChief
07-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Bryant's or Jack Stack

Warrior5
07-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Jack Stacks. You'll be a hero...

HonestChieffan
07-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Sounds like Jacks Stack has a lot of support. Is the BBQ any different there than in Martin City?

Dartgod
07-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Sounds like Jacks Stack has a lot of support. Is the BBQ any different there than in Martin City?
No. Same owners, same menu, same BBQ.

BigRedChief
07-08-2008, 07:55 AM
No. Same owners, same menu, same BBQ.
Make sure everyone orders the cheesy corn and BBQ beans.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-08-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm just throwing in my two cents - Jack Stack's is good, but it's at least third for my money. I've never been to OK Joe's, so that's not in the question, but I'd take Gates or Arthur Bryant's any day over Jack Stacks.

One of my favorite BBQ things to eat is burnt ends, and Jack Stack's kinda suck.

Dartgod
07-08-2008, 08:18 AM
I don't get the appeal of Gates. It used to be good years ago, but the last two times I've been there, it sucked. I won't go back again.

thurman merman
07-08-2008, 08:21 AM
am i the only one who hates jack stack? or maybe i just had a bad experience? i've only been there once, and nothing was good except for the cheesy corn.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-08-2008, 08:25 AM
am i the only one who hates jack stack? or maybe i just had a bad experience? i've only been there once, and nothing was good except for the cheesy corn.

I don't hate it, but I certainly don't drool at the name.

DaKCMan AP
07-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Everyone has their tastes. I prefer Haywards (although I'm somewhat bias).

As far as the OP, I hear Obama likes Haywards, Jack Stack, Arthur Bryants, Gates and OK Joes. You probably shouldn't send your 'folks' to any of these establishments. :evil:

BigRedChief
07-08-2008, 08:28 AM
One of my favorite BBQ things to eat is burnt ends, and Jack Stack's kinda suck.
You are nuts. :LOL:

Warrior5
07-08-2008, 08:42 AM

And onion rings. Don't forget the onion rings.

Cheesy corn....ummmmmm!

Fish
07-08-2008, 08:44 AM

I thought Jack Stack's burnt ends were quite good. And I've had them at each of the other joints as well. Not as good as Bryant's, but damn close...

Fried Meat Ball!
07-08-2008, 09:01 AM
I thought Jack Stack's burnt ends were quite good. And I've had them at each of the other joints as well. Not as good as Bryant's, but damn close...

To each his own. I thought Jack Stack's ends were mediocre at best. They were nothing more than 1-inch cubed pieces of brisket. They're supposed to be tough, chewy, smoky... Jack Stack's were not on either occasion I've purchased them.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-08-2008, 09:01 AM
You are nuts. :LOL:

See above - http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4834228&postcount=22

Don't get me wrong - Jack Stack's burnt ends are good brisket... but they aren't good burnt ends (from my experience).

Skip Towne
07-08-2008, 09:07 AM
I don't get the appeal of Gates. It used to be good years ago, but the last two times I've been there, it sucked. I won't go back again.

Agreed. Gates can keep their frozen crinkly fries. Bryant's all the way.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Agreed. Gates can keep their frozen crinkly fries. Bryant's all the way.

I never once went to Gates for the fries. :shrug:

Skip Towne
07-08-2008, 09:13 AM

I'd go to Bryant's for the fries . Best in the world.

Dartgod
07-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Me neither. The last time I went to Gates (probably 2 years ago) I had a brisket sammich that was nasty. Fatty, tough meat. I should have asked for my money back, but was on a tight lunch schedule.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-08-2008, 09:17 AM
I'd go to Bryant's for the fries . Best in the world.

They are very good. The old place in Warrensburg, Perry Foster's, had excellent fries, too. But I will always pick a place for the main, not the side. Just making the point that I never shied from Gates because their fries were frozen. They had good que.

Here, in Myrtle Beach... the BBQ sucks ass. I make my own now, and usually do about three times as much as normal. Then I freeze the leftovers in a vacuum seal.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Me neither. The last time I went to Gates (probably 2 years ago) I had a brisket sammich that was nasty. Fatty, tough meat. I should have asked for my money back, but was on a tight lunch schedule.

I always asked for mine "lean"... then they'd actually take care not to give you a big ol' hunk of fat.

RockChalk
07-08-2008, 09:23 AM

:drool:

cookster50
07-08-2008, 09:41 AM
To each his own. I thought Jack Stack's ends were mediocre at best. They were nothing more than 1-inch cubed pieces of brisket. They're supposed to be tough, chewy, smoky... Jack Stack's were not on either occasion I've purchased them.

I'd agree with FMB. Though he likes Bryants, and the one time I had Bryants burnt ends, it was the worst BBQ I've ever had.

R&GHomer
07-08-2008, 09:44 AM

Good point. I would go with Jack Stack with that many people.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I'd agree with FMB. Though he likes Bryants, and the one time I had Bryants burnt ends, it was the worst BBQ I've ever had.

I like Gates burnt ends better than Bryant's. Bryant's sauce is kinda weird - an acquired taste, I'm sure.

Demonpenz
07-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Jack Stack has nice inside too. So if you have some prissy ones that don't like Delta blues whiskey stained indoors. Last time I was at Oklahoma joes I had the Zman which was some short of cut meat I think roast beef with melted cheese toasted bun with onion rings in it. It was awesome

Dartgod
07-08-2008, 10:17 AM
I always asked for mine "lean"... then they'd actually take care not to give you a big ol' hunk of fat.
Heh. I shouldn't have to ask.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Heh. I shouldn't have to ask.

I can appreciate that.

I've never had an issue, and only seen one really fatty sandwich come out of there. I started doing it mainly because I didn't want to take the chance.

evolve27
07-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I've been reading about this cheesy corn, what the hell is it besides the obvious? n00b alert

RockChalk
07-08-2008, 12:30 PM
I've been reading about this cheesy corn, what the hell is it besides the obvious? n00b alert

basically what it says....it's corn in a cheese sauces with little slices of ham mixed in

again...:drool:

Demonpenz
07-08-2008, 12:35 PM
The seasoned fries are awesome at Oklahoma Joe's I always pimp out BB's Lawnside BBQ it is run down but it has fine food and music every night. There was the meet platter which can feed two for like 11 bucks and I had the burnt ends for 7 bucks. My sister, her bf, and I all ate for 22 bucks or so. BB's isn't like nice but it is freaking good, and you get alot of sweet atmosphere as there are a million old blues posters that smell musty on the wall. Like I said though Bb's has blues bands nearly every night

evolve27
07-08-2008, 12:41 PM
The seasoned fries are awesome at Oklahoma Joe's I always pimp out BB's Lawnside BBQ it is run down but it has fine food and music every night. There was the meet platter which can feed two for like 11 bucks and I had the burnt ends for 7 bucks. My sister, her bf, and I all ate for 22 bucks or so. BB's isn't like nice but it is freaking good, and you get alot of sweet atmosphere as there are a million old blues posters that smell musty on the wall. Like I said though Bb's has blues bands nearly every night

That meat platter sounds like a steal. Gonna have to try it.

Fish
07-08-2008, 12:46 PM

I live relatively close to BB's, and I agree. The food isn't the greatest by BBQ standards, I think their regular sauce is too sweet, but the atmosphere is top notch. I love the Blues, so any place that offers Blues/BBQ/Boulevard is gonna be on my list.

This Saturday,
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1999/lana408bs7.jpg

I've heard them before, and they're pretty good.

Fish
07-08-2008, 12:46 PM
I'd also take a minute to pimp LC's BBQ. Underrated if you asked me. Nice spicy sauce...

DaKCMan AP
07-08-2008, 12:48 PM
basically what it says....it's corn in a cheese sauces with little slices of ham mixed in

:Lin:

Alphaman
07-08-2008, 12:52 PM
I rank KC BBQ like this:

1) Gates
2) LC's
3) Bryant's
4) Jack Stack

I've never had OK Joes. I've lived in Texas and Tennessee. All 4 of the above would be head and shoulders above anything I had in those states.

IMHO, if you want to send your friends for the best "restaurant" feel and the best sides, then Jack Stack is probably the place. However, if you want to send them to a BBQ joint with the best BBQ I'd send them to Gates. I don't care for a restaurant feel with my BBQ.

Dartgod
07-08-2008, 01:05 PM
I rank KC BBQ like this:

1) Gates
2) LC's
3) Bryant's
4) Jack Stack

I've never had OK Joes. I've lived in Texas and Tennessee. All 4 of the above would be head and shoulders above anything I had in those states.

IMHO, if you want to send your friends for the best "restaurant" feel and the best sides, then Jack Stack is probably the place. However, if you want to send them to a BBQ joint with the best BBQ I'd send them to Gates. I don't care for a restaurant feel with my BBQ.
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't understand how anyone can rank Gates above Jack Stack. Bryant's and OK Joe's I get (I've never tried LC's but hope to soon), but Gates is way below the others IMO.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-08-2008, 01:06 PM

I couldn't agree more. BBQ, to me, should be a little dirty.

HonestChieffan
07-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Gates and Zarda would never make my list but things can change. I wanted to take them to BB's but not sure what 20 people arriving all at once would do to Lindseys heart. Haywards went too upscale and always full of yuppies.Looks like it will be Smokestack...thanks for the help on this. Joes does get a lot of good press, may need to check it out sometime.

cookster50
07-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Smokestack is good, but 20 people would take all their seating, so that might not work(assuming you mean Smokestack on Wornall and not Jack Stack). I like Jack Stack also, but it annoys me that they try to be "high class" rather than "real" bbq. Clothe napkins? Come'on now, that isn't q! Give me a freaking roll of paper towels! And I don't want any green crap other than pickles on my plate. Take your parsley and shove it. Other than that, good meats and good sauce.

Phobia
07-08-2008, 08:25 PM
I'd also take a minute to pimp LC's BBQ. Underrated if you asked me. Nice spicy sauce...

Nice sauce, tough ribs.

Phobia
07-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't understand how anyone can rank Gates above Jack Stack. Bryant's and OK Joe's I get (I've never tried LC's but hope to soon), but Gates is way below the others IMO.

Gates must have been really good back in the day because the few times I've had it since moving to back to KC I've left unimpressed.

I mean it was edible but it didn't leave me wanting to come back asap. That said, their original sauce is one of my favorites.

petegz28
07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Gates must have been really good back in the day because the few times I've had it since moving to back to KC I've left unimpressed.

I mean it was edible but it didn't leave me wanting to come back asap. That said, their original sauce is one of my favorites.

It isn't as good as it used to be BUT it is still some of the best BBQ in KC. Jack stack is good but if you ask me it's two differet styles. And I like Gates sauce better.

ChiefsFan4Life
07-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I have the opportunity to go and eat at Jack Stack on Friday night

I notice on their menu online that they offer the following BBQ sauces for the meal:

ORIGINAL Sweet and tangy
SPICY A light touch of heat
HOT Assertive and bold
SOUTHWESTERN Zesty sauce with a mixture of fresh peppers & onions

What is the best? I am leaning towards Spicy but wanted to hear opinions. Should I just stick with original?

DaKCMan AP
07-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I have the opportunity to go and eat at Jack Stack on Friday night

I notice on their menu online that they offer the following BBQ sauces for the meal:

ORIGINAL Sweet and tangy
SPICY A light touch of heat
HOT Assertive and bold
SOUTHWESTERN Zesty sauce with a mixture of fresh peppers & onions

What is the best? I am leaning towards Spicy but wanted to hear opinions. Should I just stick with original?

When you get there try each and choose the one you like best.

ChiefsFan4Life
07-09-2008, 06:18 PM
When you get there try each and choose the one you like best.

Do you have to ask for samples or is on the table before? I haven't eaten there in forever, always ordered it shipped to where I am :)

DaKCMan AP
07-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Do you have to ask for samples or is on the table before? I haven't eaten there in forever, always ordered it shipped to where I am :)

I've never been there before, but every BBQ place I've gone to has all of their sauces on the table (or if it's counter service, up by the counter). The first thing I do is try them all, then look over the menu.

gblowfish
07-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Everything you need, right here:
http://www.georgeblowfish.com/BBQ.html

RufusRJones
07-09-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't get back to KC but two or three times a year...I generally prefer Haywards, but I grew up eating it too, so I'm sure I'm biased. I guess I never noticed all the yuppies, I was too busy eating burnt ends and drinking strawberry soda. I have noticed that past few times that the quality has been inconsistent. Sometimes it's great...sometimes it's just ok.

I don't get Oklahoma Joe's at all. It's pretty ok. If I was up north and it was my only option, I'd eat it. But in KC, I don't see the appeal. Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance. What I ate there I would call Texas bbq...and I've had much better Texas bbq than that.

DaKCMan AP
07-09-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't get back to KC but two or three times a year...I generally prefer Haywards, but I grew up eating it too, so I'm sure I'm biased. I guess I never noticed all the yuppies, I was too busy eating burnt ends and drinking strawberry soda. I have noticed that past few times that the quality has been inconsistent. Sometimes it's great...sometimes it's just ok.

I don't get Oklahoma Joe's at all. It's pretty ok. If I was up north and it was my only option, I'd eat it. But in KC, I don't see the appeal. Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance. What I ate there I would call Texas bbq...and I've had much better Texas bbq than that.

Yeah, I don't get to KC often but when we did visit we would go to Haywards and always loved it. Of course, it also helped that the fam knew Mr. Hayward and whenever he was there he'd slice our beef himself. Always excellent cuts. :thumb:

Hayward's sauce is outstanding and I always try to get bottles sent here. Who gives a shit if a place is 'classier'? BBQ can be messy and it can also be served in a nice atmosphere. As long as the place is clean, I could care less. What's important to me is the taste and eating BBQ in a nicer atmosphere doesn't detract from the flavor.

Mojo Rising
07-09-2008, 08:57 PM
I wouls also recommend Haywards. Smokestack is good. OK Joes was great but seemed to have gone downhill on my last couple visits.

Phobia
07-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I noticed nobody has mentioned Rib Crib. Heh.

cookster50
07-10-2008, 06:35 AM

Famous Daves!

BigRedChief
07-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Famous Daves!
Really and I mean really piss's me off that they don't have a "Real" KC BBQ joint in the power and light district. Instead we got a chain BBQ.:mad:

Demonpenz
07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
I would if someone could set up a smoker and sell Real BBQ off of like a wagon atleast close to the P and L. Most people in KC know whats up famous daves. It's not like we have an pro team drawing alot of outside fans.

thurman merman
07-10-2008, 01:19 PM

i love rib crib. i don't care if it's a chain. it's delicious.

BigRedChief
07-10-2008, 01:36 PM
i love rib crib. i don't care if it's a chain. it's delicious.
:doh!: You have to get out more.

ChiefsFan4Life
07-14-2008, 09:44 AM
For the record, I ate at Jack Stack on Friday night and it was AMAZING

I had cheesy corn, bbq baked beans, beef brisket, and beef burnt ends

:drool::drool::drool:

I am going to have to have some shipped one weekend when I am really craving it and can't make it to KC

Baby Lee
07-14-2008, 09:57 AM

I wish I could share the cheesy corn love, and it is a tasty dish, but my G'ma makes a cheesy corn casserole that just as cheesy but has the consistency of a moist layer cake and the top bakes up crispy, and there's nothing corn based on earth that can compete with it.