PDA

View Full Version : Computers Help - windows update is causing Zone Alarm to block internet

Lzen
07-08-2008, 10:30 PM
I did a Windows update tonight. The internet was working fine beforehand. Now, I can't access the internet unless I shut down Zone Alarm. I have re-installed ZA and Firefox. No change. Any suggestions?

Lzen
07-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I see this problem is not just mine. Ugghh.

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=cfg&message.id=52785

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20759839-MS-update-KB951748-and-ZoneAlarm-PROBLEM

Lzen
07-08-2008, 11:05 PM
BTW, I did some research, I have found solutions in case anyone else is having this problem. As of right now, you have 2 choices.

1. Uninstall Windows security update KB951748

or

2. Turn Zone Alarm from high to medium

While neither solution is great, they will get you back on the internet. Either way, it should just be temporary until they get this resolved. I chose to uninstall the Windows update.

Hydrae
07-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Both of my machines with XP couldn't connect suddenly today. The one running Vista was fine. Could not figure it out for the life of me and then remembered reading this earlier today. I can not give you enough rep!!!

Lzen
07-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Both of my machines with XP couldn't connect suddenly today. The one running Vista was fine. Could not figure it out for the life of me and then remembered reading this earlier today. I can not give you enough rep!!!

Well, I'm glad you got it figured out. I just wanted help anyone to not go through all the trouble I went though. Although I will admit that I had a good idea that it was cause by the Windows update since it happened right after I installed it.

Saulbadguy
07-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Uninstall zonealarm.

Fish
07-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Zonealarm is awful....

Lzen
07-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Uninstall zonealarm.

I did actually go to the ZA site and downloaded the latest version and reinstalled it. Well, it was just an upgrade install. Not a clean install. That didn't help.

Why all the ZA hate, boys? I like to have a software firewall in addition to my hardware router firewall. You guys have a better one? Comodo? Windows firewall (no thanks)?

Saulbadguy
07-11-2008, 10:08 AM
I did actually go to the ZA site and downloaded the latest version and reinstalled it. Well, it was just an upgrade install. Not a clean install. That didn't help.

Why all the ZA hate, boys? I like to have a software firewall in addition to my hardware router firewall. You guys have a better one? Comodo? Windows firewall (no thanks)?

What's wrong with the windows firewall in conjunction with a hardware firewall?

Please cite specific examples. :) TIA.

markk
07-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Uninstall zonealarm.

Uninstall windows...

Fish
07-11-2008, 02:35 PM

Seriously... if you do it right, that should be all you ever need.

pr_capone
07-11-2008, 02:52 PM

+1