PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Question for anyone who has ever had to file a homeowner's insurance claim...

MTG#10
07-09-2008, 12:24 PM
We have some hail damage on our gutters, screens, and siding so I filed an insurance claim with American Family a few weeks ago. This is the first time Ive ever had to file a claim with them. I received a check today for just under $2000. When the adjuster came out, he said I didnt have to worry about sending in receipts or anything, but the packet I got in the mail with my check says I need to.

My question is, if I fix the damages myself and if I already have the materials to repair the damage, how am I supposed to give them receipts? Also, how long do I have to give them the receipts? What will they do if I dont send them anything? I would just call and ask them but I dont want them to flag my claim as potential fraud - I do indeed have replacement siding sitting in my garage, and my buddy is going to hook me up with some nice used screens and guttering he's had sitting out in his shed for the last 10 years.

Demonpenz
07-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Send in what you can. Or find online or at a store compareable items that you already used. Track your man hours. Then talk to your adjuster. As long as you aren't trying to "come out ahead" then you should be fine. The job of insurance is to put you at where you were before the storm not ahead of it.

MTG#10
07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Well since Im not paying for any of the materials or labor (doing it myself) Im going to be coming out WAY ahead.

Demonpenz
07-09-2008, 12:31 PM
With American Family you also have an agent that is different from you claims adjuster so he should be able to give you answers off the record. The 2000 may have been the actual cash value of the damage and if you want more money you have to wait until it is fixed to get the depreciated value. I would just talk to the agent or the adjuster though.

Demonpenz
07-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Well since Im not paying for any of the materials or labor (doing it myself) Im going to be coming out WAY ahead.

I would probably withdraw the claim and send back the check then. You might get some a bump in your premiums but you won't get flagged for fraud. They probably wouldn't go after you but they can put a risk advice on you and whenever you try to renew they will cancel it and then it will be hard/expensive to get new insurance

seclark
07-09-2008, 12:37 PM
I would probably withdraw the claim and send back the check then. You might get some a bump in your premiums but you won't get flagged for fraud. They probably wouldn't go after you but they can put a risk advice on you and whenever you try to renew they will cancel it and then it will be hard/expensive to get new insurance

ouch...bet he wasn't looking for that answer.
sec

KCUnited
07-09-2008, 12:37 PM
If your not paying for any of the materials or labor, why did you file the claim?

TrickyNicky
07-09-2008, 12:40 PM
^^^^ Because he has a policy that will pay for hail damage. Any time you can file and save money, do it. Because most insurance companies will take any chance they can to skip out as well.

KCUnited
07-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Consider that money a loan, the insurance company is always going to make that back.

Demonpenz
07-09-2008, 12:42 PM
^^^^ Because he has a policy that will pay for hail damage. Any time you can file and save money, do it. Because most insurance companies will take any chance they can to skip out as well.

pay for what? It is free in this case

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-09-2008, 12:43 PM
They do that to prevent people from doing what you are trying to do.

Demonpenz
07-09-2008, 12:48 PM
^^^^ Because he has a policy that will pay for hail damage. Any time you can file and STEAL money, do it. Because most insurance companies will take any chance they can to skip out as well.

There we go. Fixed it for ya

vailpass
07-09-2008, 12:54 PM

That is one view. Here is another:

In 2003 we had wind and hail damage on our house. Broken windows, ripped up garage roof, etc.

State Farm adjustor came out, gave us a report that included a new couch and rugs because glass came in and landed on them and a bunch of other items. She told us the check was to be used as we saw fit to restore our living conditions.

We got a check, replaced what we wanted to and cleaned/fixed the rest. The check was for approx. $7500, we spent $2500 and banked the rest. There was no request for receipts, no spending review, and our premiums didn't go up a dime.

Demonpenz
07-09-2008, 01:06 PM
That is one view. Here is another:

In 2003 we had wind and hail damage on our house. Broken windows, ripped up garage roof, etc.

State Farm adjustor came out, gave us a report that included a new couch and rugs because glass came in and landed on them and a bunch of other items. She told us the check was to be used as we saw fit to restore our living conditions.

We got a check, replaced what we wanted to and cleaned/fixed the rest. The check was for approx. $7500, we spent $2500 and banked the rest. There was no request for receipts, no spending review, and our premiums didn't go up a dime.

My guess it is because it was paid out on your contents portion of your policy. The claim he is talking about is for his building.

vailpass
07-09-2008, 01:11 PM
My guess it is because it was paid out on your contents portion of your policy. The claim he is talking about is for his building.

I'll defer to your knowledge; you seem to have first-hand knowledge in the insurance field. I do know that part of our claim was for part of our garage roof/soffet.

Demonpenz
07-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Well you have to take my advice with a grain of salt for sure. In the end I would if you have an agent talk to them they have probably seen ones like m10 a hundred times.

StcChief
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Years ago ~1981 with AmFam I had lightning or a SPIKE come thru Feed line of Electric and ground thru TV, blew out wall plug and wiring to it....

I fixed it myself sent 'em a bill, had electrican double check the work.... covered the deductible, they paid for TV etc. No questions asked

MTG#10
07-09-2008, 03:26 PM
pay for what? It is free in this case
Well not exactly. I have to do all the repairs in my free time - that should be worth something. I may hire someone to replace two strips of siding above my garage door because I dont think I could do them myself while standing on a ladder.

Anyway I called, and the lady said to send in the receipts when Im finished with the work. I asked her how long I had and she said "as long as it takes". She also said if I didnt spend the entire $2000 I wouldnt have to pay the remainder back.

Demonpenz
07-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah you should get paid for your labor if you are doing it yourself

Extra Point
07-09-2008, 04:17 PM
I had a recent hail claim on our roof on AMFAM. I'd like to do the work myself and put in composite to replace the shake roof. Though I'm tempted to put an invitation to bid in the classifieds, stipulating that any work cannot be performed by non-US citizens.

It sucks when high-paid roofing cos. have Summit-and-SW Blvd-untraceable-labor do their work, and US citizens can't make a fair trade.

Valiant
07-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Make up a receipt on your computer for your labor and what you think the material cost you..

CoMoChief
07-09-2008, 06:03 PM
We have some hail damage on our gutters, screens, and siding so I filed an insurance claim with American Family a few weeks ago. This is the first time Ive ever had to file a claim with them. I received a check today for just under $2000. When the adjuster came out, he said I didnt have to worry about sending in receipts or anything, but the packet I got in the mail with my check says I need to.

My question is, if I fix the damages myself and if I already have the materials to repair the damage, how am I supposed to give them receipts? Also, how long do I have to give them the receipts? What will they do if I dont send them anything? I would just call and ask them but I dont want them to flag my claim as potential fraud - I do indeed have replacement siding sitting in my garage, and my buddy is going to hook me up with some nice used screens and guttering he's had sitting out in his shed for the last 10 years.

I work in Auto claims at State Farm and from what I know as long as an adjuster cut you the check, everything is good to go.

Usually they need recpts to verify payment before the adjuster comes out. Now Am Family may do something different, so just in case whatever you buy with those supplies, keep the recpts.