PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Discussion: Best Epic War Movie

Buehler445
07-09-2008, 10:52 PM
OK, since there is virtually no Chiefs news, I think we should take some time to discuss the best epic war movies. Right now, Braveheart is at the top of my list.

Convince me otherwise.

Guru
07-09-2008, 10:57 PM
LotR
Troy
Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart
We Were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down
The Patriot

No particular order but those are the ones that really stand out for me.

Nzoner
07-09-2008, 11:01 PM
There is no discussion necessary,the best epic war movie had a cast like no other(introduced about 1:25 into the clip) and was made 31 years ago.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlwHxYgJr4A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Guru
07-09-2008, 11:09 PM
There is no discussion necessary,the best epic war movie had a cast like no other(introduced about 1:25 into the clip) and was made 31 years ago.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlwHxYgJr4A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Damn, I haven't even seen that movie. How did I miss that. Off to the library I go. heh

Jenson71
07-09-2008, 11:46 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bSlq1CNQwEc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bSlq1CNQwEc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lawrence of Arabia. This trailer is amazing, by the way.

DaneMcCloud
07-09-2008, 11:51 PM
A Bridge Too Far

Guru
07-10-2008, 12:01 AM
A Bridge Too Far

How does it look on Blu Ray? Anyone?

DaneMcCloud
07-10-2008, 12:06 AM
How does it look on Blu Ray? Anyone?

I haven't sprung for Blu-Ray. I've barely had time to watch my regular DVD's that have been piling up.

Plus, it's hard for me to part with so much money on a Blu-Ray player and the cost of discs when normal DVD on my HDTV's look so good. It's not like a VCR to DVD jump. At least for me.

Guru
07-10-2008, 12:11 AM
I haven't sprung for Blu-Ray. I've barely had time to watch my regular DVD's that have been piling up.

Plus, it's hard for me to part with so much money on a Blu-Ray player and the cost of discs when normal DVD on my HDTV's look so good. It's not like a VCR to DVD jump. At least for me.

I will probably just look for a DVD of it. Sounds like the Blu Ray version of this isn't much better than an upconverted DVD.

I am extremely picky on what movies I spring for on Blu Ray though. I haven't paid more than $18 for a title yet nor have I purchased a title I already had on DVD (well, with the exception of National Treasure 2).

To go blu ray, it needs to be a movie with tons of detail in it. War movies are prime.

Pablo
07-10-2008, 12:21 AM
I will probably just look for a DVD of it. Sounds like the Blu Ray version of this isn't much better than an upconverted DVD.

I am extremely picky on what movies I spring for on Blu Ray though. I haven't paid more than $18 for a title yet nor have I purchased a title I already had on DVD (well, with the exception of National Treasure 2).

To go blu ray, it needs to be a movie with tons of detail in it. War movies are prime.The new Rambo has some pretty amazing fight scenes. Sure, it's kind of cheesy, but watching a 60 year old man turn a whole sh*tload of bad guys into dog food is still awesome to watch in HD.

DaneMcCloud
07-10-2008, 12:26 AM

To go blu ray, it needs to be a movie with tons of detail in it. War movies are prime.

That's cool. I'll probably have to spring for one later this year or early next year, when I've got more time to enjoy movies.

Thanks for the details!

ClevelandBronco
07-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Would "Das Boot" count?

If not, "Tora, Tora, Tora."

chiefs1111
07-10-2008, 01:57 AM
Forrest Gump

btlook1
07-10-2008, 02:37 AM
LotR
Troy
Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart
We Were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down
The Patriot

You have a great list...but you are missing 300. That is a good war movie!

Guru
07-10-2008, 03:12 AM
You have a great list...but you are missing 300. That is a good war movie!

I am in the minority on that one. I really didn't enjoy 300 that much. Visually stunning but the movie as a whole just wasn't up to par for me.

SLAG
07-10-2008, 04:09 AM
Saving Private Ryan came to my head first
Braveheart is really good
Troy I enjoyed as well

Deberg_1990
07-10-2008, 05:10 AM
Pearl Harbor

kepp
07-10-2008, 06:15 AM
The new Rambo has some pretty amazing fight scenes. Sure, it's kind of cheesy, but watching a 60 year old man turn a whole sh*tload of bad guys into dog food is still awesome to watch in HD.

Yeah, I rented that in blu-ray and it's sweet. You can see every little detail.

Frosty
07-10-2008, 08:31 AM
It isn't the "best" and is a bit cheesy, but I have a soft spot in my heart for "Midway". Even saw it as a kid in the theater with "Sensurround". :)

Frazod
07-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Lawrence of Arabia.

Wow. I agree with Jenson. :eek:

Saggysack
07-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Tae Guk Gi

MVChiefFan
07-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Saving Private Ryan...THREAD OVER!!!

Frazod
07-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Some others that I'd list:

Gettysburg
Braveheart
Patton (can't believe no one has mentioned this yet)
Kingdom of Heaven
Saving Private Ryan
Spartacus

MVChiefFan
07-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Actually, I do love many of the others mentioned here. Braveheart is also in my tops. I also really enjoyed Glory.

Frazod
07-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Glory's one of my absolute favorites, but I really don't consider it "epic."

lawrenceRaider
07-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Frazod, why no Apocolypse Now or Full Metal Jacket?

rad
07-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Pearl Harbor

Fag.

markk
07-10-2008, 09:18 AM
lawrence of arabia.

i dont understand people liking any of these mel gibson war movies. braveheart was elaborate and the cinematography was impressive but all those war movies he's in are formulaic, not especially historically accurate, and just generally overrated in my opinion

Frazod
07-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Frazod, why no Apocolypse Now or Full Metal Jacket?

Again, both excellent films, but not what I would consider epic war movies.

Adept Havelock
07-10-2008, 09:21 AM

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlwHxYgJr4A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

My choice as well. A brilliantly done film.

Would "Das Boot" count?

Das Boot and Patton tie for #2, IMO.

rad
07-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I'd mention full metal jacket, although good, I guess not "epic"....

Anyone mention "The Patriot" yet? That's the only movie I've ever seen that ALMOST made me cry at one point. You know, when you feel that kinda wavy feeling and your vision gets blurry?

Frazod
07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
I'd mention full metal jacket, although good, I guess not "epic"....

Anyone mention "The Patriot" yet? That's the only movie I've ever seen that ALMOST made me cry at one point. You know, when you feel that kinda wavy feeling and your vision gets blurry?

It was so over-the-top hateful towards the British and inaccurate that I just can't give it a pass. Braveheart was the same way, but that didn't offend me so much.

No British officer during that war would burn women and children alive. That was absolutely ridiculous.

Demonpenz
07-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Thin red line

Frazod
07-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Thin red line

DIE :#

rad
07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
It was so over-the-top hateful towards the British and inaccurate that I just can't give it a pass. Braveheart was the same way, but that didn't offend me so much.

No British officer during that war would burn women and children alive. That was absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, Id agree with that. I guess it was "epic" for me, for the reason stated above. My wife couldn't believe it. She looked out the window to see if fire was raining down from the sky.

Adept Havelock
07-10-2008, 09:37 AM

Banastare Tarleton was a thug, but they painted him as a member of the British Waffen-SS. :shake:

That, and the "Swamp Fox" was nowhere near as "noble" as portrayed.

"Braveheart" with a ponytail was OK as a film, but horrible history.

Frazod
07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
I fairly convinced that as a young man, Mel Gibson must have been assraped by an English Jew. :D

Demonpenz
07-10-2008, 09:43 AM
and an alien that hated water..

Stryker
07-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Saving Private Ryan
The Longest Day
Pearl Harbor

Demonpenz
07-10-2008, 09:46 AM
What about empire of the sun (staring a young batman)

Jenson71
07-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Wow. I agree with Jenson. :eek:

It's hard to disagree with Lawrence of Arabia.

Frazod, I read in Naperville there is a parish offering the Latin Mass now! Congratulations to your community.

Molitoth
07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Apocalypse Now

siberian khatru
07-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I think "The Longest Day" and "A Bridge Too Far" should also be included (the Cornelius Ryan estate thanks me).

Molitoth
07-10-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't think I saw "The Deer Hunter" mentioned either.

Fishpicker
07-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Tae Guk Gi

Tae Guk Gi is definitely epic. I remember there was one scene that showed 600,000 Chinese volunteers marching into N. Korea.

I loved the battle sequences in this, they're brutal.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KxrYY02QBck&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KxrYY02QBck&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

skip the first 1:20

smittysbar
07-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I agree with most.

One movie that gives me chills is We Were Soldiers

QuikSsurfer
07-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Platoon

HELLO PEOPLE!!!

Nightwish
07-10-2008, 02:47 PM
OK, since there is virtually no Chiefs news, I think we should take some time to discuss the best epic war movies. Right now, Braveheart is at the top of my list.

Convince me otherwise.
If you're limiting this to wars pertaining to the real world, then Braveheart definitely tops the list. If you're permitting fantasy, though, the LOTR trilogy is way up there. I don't know if they are really "epic," but I also loved Midway and Tora, Tora, Tora.

Fire Me Boy!
07-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Haven't read the thread, so here goes. Sorry for any reposts.

Obvious:

Saving Private Ryan
Glory
Patton
Schindler's List
Glory
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now

Not so obvious:

The Great Dictator
Ran
Gone with the Wind
Stalag 17
Downfall
MASH
Lawrence of Arabia
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Deer Hunter
Paths of Glory
Das Boot

chiefs1111
07-10-2008, 03:09 PM
If you're limiting this to wars pertaining to the real world, then Braveheart definitely tops the list. If you're permitting fantasy, though, the LOTR trilogy is way up there. I don't know if they are really "epic," but I also loved Midway and Tora, Tora, Tora.

Yeah,Braveheart kicks ass,one of my favorites....

chiefs1111
07-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Gettysburg would be my all time favorite,We Were Soldiers was good to. I am not that big into war movies though.....

Frazod
07-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Tae Guk Gi is definitely epic. I remember there was one scene that showed 600,000 Chinese volunteers marching into N. Korea.

I loved the battle sequences in this, they're brutal.

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KxrYY02QBck&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT></P>
skip the first 1:20

I've never heard of this. Sounds like it's worth checking out.

Deberg_1990
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Rump Ranger.

Honestly, that 45 minute attack scene is awesume. One of the best battles ever filmed.

SPATCH
07-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Saving Private Ryan
The Longest Day
Pearl Harbor

you, sir, are no longer permitted to comment on cinema...

what an abortion of a movie..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_pM8PrqY5Rg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_pM8PrqY5Rg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sorry about the subtitles

Saulbadguy
07-10-2008, 09:27 PM
A vietnam veteran once told me "Hamburger Hill" was by far the most realistic.

Frazod
07-10-2008, 11:35 PM
A vietnam veteran once told me "Hamburger Hill" was by far the most realistic.

Of the three that came out at roughly the same time (Platoon and Full Metal Jacket being the others) I like Hamburger Hill the best - instead of the focus being on a journalist, or a rich kid who enlisted for the hell of it (yeah, THAT happened a lot :rolleyes: ), it was simply about normal people and the shit they went through. I recognize that the others are better films, but I don't care.

Buehler445
07-10-2008, 11:35 PM
LotR
Troy
Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart
We Were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down
The Patriot

It's interesting you put Troy up there. I don't often find it discussed among the best epic war movies. Even though, by definition, the Illiad is an epic. The movie, I thought, was pretty well done, and some of the fight scenes were great, but when I watch it, I don't think to myself, WOW that was epic. I still watch it fairly frequenty though.

I gotta check out this flick.

Would "Das Boot" count?

If not, "Tora, Tora, Tora."

I haven't seen Tora, Tora, Tora. I'll look this one up too.

Tae Guk Gi

Nice. I'll add this one to the list.

Some others that I'd list:

Gettysburg
Braveheart
Patton (can't believe no one has mentioned this yet)
Kingdom of Heaven
Saving Private Ryan
Spartacus

I'm keeping Kingdom of Heaven off my list. Talk about far from historically accurate... and I didn't think Bloom played the role well. He doesn't look like he could whop anyone's ass, much less fight for days on end.

That being said, it is a pretty well done movie, and I enjoy it, but I'm keeping it off the epic list.

Frazod
07-10-2008, 11:40 PM
I know Kingdom of Heaven butchered history, but no worse than any of Mel's epics. I thought Bloom did a great job.

I also really liked Troy, but I recently purchased the director's cut on blu-ray, which is a complete waste of both time and money. I haven't gotten over being annoyed by that. The theatrical version is vastly better.

Buehler445
07-11-2008, 12:48 AM
I know Kingdom of Heaven butchered history, but no worse than any of Mel's epics. I thought Bloom did a great job.

I also really liked Troy, but I recently purchased the director's cut on blu-ray, which is a complete waste of both time and money. I haven't gotten over being annoyed by that. The theatrical version is vastly better.

That's fair enough.

Guru
07-11-2008, 01:00 AM

I was actually thinking of checking out the directors cut. Glad you just saved me the time.:thumb:

Guru
07-11-2008, 01:04 AM
It's interesting you put Troy up there. I don't often find it discussed among the best epic war movies. Even though, by definition, the Illiad is an epic. The movie, I thought, was pretty well done, and some of the fight scenes were great, but when I watch it, I don't think to myself, WOW that was epic. I still watch it fairly frequenty though.

For some reason, that movie just really struck a chord with me and I have never tired of it when I find it on cable. I don't have to be in the mood for that movie. Just very well done and highly entertaining.

Deberg_1990
07-11-2008, 06:39 AM

Kingdom of Heaven has a directors cut now and from what ive heard it improves it greatly.

I liked Troy so why was the directors cut bad? I havent seen it. Too long?

kc rush
07-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Haven't read the thread, so here goes. Sorry for any reposts.

Obvious:

Saving Private Ryan
Glory
Patton
Schindler's List
Glory
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now

Not so obvious:

The Great Dictator
Ran
Gone with the Wind
Stalag 17
Downfall
MASH
Lawrence of Arabia
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Deer Hunter
Paths of Glory
Das Boot

Good list. I was surprised that no one mentioned Kwai until you did. I like Stalag 17 but the Great Escape is the better POW film in my opinion. Another missing film (non-epic) is the Guns of Navarone.

Frazod
07-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Kingdom of Heaven has a directors cut now and from what ive heard it improves it greatly.

I liked Troy so why was the directors cut bad? I havent seen it. Too long?

The Troy director's cut totally changed the soundtrack. The score, which matched up so well with the action in the theatrical version, was either altered, muted or gone. It really detracted from the film. Plus, about all he did was insert a few meaningless snippets here and there, and add lots of CGI spewing/spraying blood (I didn't have a problem with that, but it just seemed unnecessary).

Lame. I can't imagine what was going through Peterson's mind when he set out to f#ck up his own movie. :shake:

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 08:12 AM
The Troy director's cut totally changed the soundtrack. The score, which matched up so well with the action in the theatrical version, was either altered, muted or gone. It really detracted from the film. Plus, about all he did was insert a few meaningless snippets here and there, and add lots of CGI spewing/spraying blood (I didn't have a problem with that, but it just seemed unnecessary).

Lame. I can't imagine what was going through Peterson's mind when he set out to f#ck up his own movie. :shake:

Um... you're assuming the movie wasn't screwed up to begin with. Troy was a piece of total friggin' garbage.

Nzoner
07-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Wow,only 3 or 4 mentions of A Bridge Too Far :shake:

Deberg_1990
07-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Oh....i know alot of people hated it, but i really liked Cruise's "The Last Samarai"

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Oh....i know alot of people hated it, but i really liked Cruise's "The Last Samarai"

It was a lot better than Troy. :shake:

gblowfish
07-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Hamburger Hill was a good Vietnam war movie.
"Don't Mean Nuthin..."

Frazod
07-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Um... you're assuming the movie wasn't screwed up to begin with. Troy was a piece of total friggin' garbage.

Other than a couple of gaping logic flaws (siege with no siege equipment, roaring funeral pyres everywhere and no trees in sight) I really enjoyed it. What did it do to incur film snob wrath?

MOhillbilly
07-11-2008, 08:34 AM
master and commander is a good one. i wish theyd make another.

Frazod
07-11-2008, 08:37 AM

Agreed. It could have used a bit more action in the middle, but I really liked it. Crowe was definitely channeling Captain Kirk.

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Other than a couple of gaping logic flaws (siege with no siege equipment, roaring funeral pyres everywhere and no trees in sight) I really enjoyed it. What did it do to incur film snob wrath?

You mean, aside from mass suckage? How about the fact that Brad Pitt and Eric Bana CLEARLY mailed in their performances. That even Brian Cox was pretty mediocre? That Paris was horribly miscast? That the role of the gods was trivialized? Or that the Trojan war lasted, what, 10 years, rather than a few days?

Priam was the only worthwhile protrayal, IMO.

Deberg_1990
07-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Very good. Probably one of the most realistic depictions of historical naval battles ive ever seen.

Frazod
07-11-2008, 08:52 AM
You mean, aside from mass suckage? How about the fact that Brad Pitt and Eric Bana CLEARLY mailed in their performances. That even Brian Cox was pretty mediocre? That Paris was horribly miscast? That the role of the gods was trivialized? Or that the Trojan war lasted, what, 10 years, rather than a few days?

Priam was the only worthwhile protrayal, IMO.

I thought all the principal actors did a good job. Bloom portrayed Paris as a self-absorbed wimp - was that wrong? And it's not like the Illiad was a blow-by-blow accurate account of what happened - it was handed down orally for generations before anyone ever thought to write it down. Who knows what really happened? One thing I liked was the way events in the movie were presented as things that could form the basis of later mythology.

Troy was also a complete indictment on the idiocy of religion. Every time the priest is consulted, he delivers wretchedly bad advice, which is taken to the ruin of the Trojans. I loved that aspect of it.

And I also prefer an Achilles who nails Briseis instead of Patroclus. And Briseis was HOT. :drool:

Demonpenz
07-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I ususally think of epic as in grand scale meaning huge battles, long movie, grand music. The deer hunter had a simple classic guitar as the main theme song, no real huge battles, but massive amounts of disturbing scenes. Including ones where they spill their rolling rocks!

rad
07-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I thought all the principal actors did a good job. Bloom portrayed Paris as a self-absorbed wimp - was that wrong? And it's not like the Illiad was a blow-by-blow accurate account of what happened - it was handed down orally for generations before anyone ever thought to write it down. Who knows what really happened? One thing I liked was the way events in the movie were presented as things that could form the basis of later mythology.

Troy was also a complete indictment on the idiocy of religion. Every time the priest is consulted, he delivers wretchedly bad advice, which is taken to the ruin of the Trojans. I loved that aspect of it.

And I also prefer an Achilles who nails Briseis instead of Patroclus. And Briseis was HOT. :drool:

I think some guys think it's cool to hate movies that are generally liked by everybody else. Maybe it makes them feel special.

Or, he genuinely didn't like it. I know I didn't see any "mailed in" performances....then again, WTF am I?

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 11:41 AM
I think some guys think it's cool to hate movies that are generally liked by everybody else. Maybe it makes them feel special.

Or, he genuinely didn't like it. I know I didn't see any "mailed in" performances....then again, WTF am I?
I reviewed it for the newspaper before it was "cool" to hate it, and my review said the same things. If memory serves, I gave it 1.5 or 2 stars (out of 5). I genuinely thought it was pretty horrible.

CoMoChief
07-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Gladiator
Braveheart
The Patriot
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Red Dawn
Full Metal Jacket
Behind Enemy Gates
Tora Tora Tora

rad
07-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I reviewed it for the newspaper before it was "cool" to hate it, and my review said the same things. If memory serves, I gave it 1.5 or 2 stars (out of 5). I genuinely thought it was pretty horrible.

OK, you have high standards then.

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I've contacted the old newspaper to see if they could e-mail me the archived version of the review. No idea if I'll get it today.

rad
07-11-2008, 12:39 PM
I've contacted the old newspaper to see if they could e-mail me the archived version of the review. No idea if I'll get it today.

It's OK man, I believe you.

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 12:40 PM
It's OK man, I believe you.

Naw, I'm actually wanting to remember what I wrote about it. I haven't seen it since then.

Frazod
07-11-2008, 12:41 PM

I suppose you gave Thin Red Line five stars. :rolleyes:

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 12:46 PM
I suppose you gave Thin Red Line five stars. :rolleyes:

Never actually seen the whole thing. What I saw, I liked.

I suppose you thought Alexander was good. :Poke:

Frazod
07-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Never actually seen the whole thing. What I saw, I liked.

I suppose you thought Alexander was good. :Poke:

Never saw it. Oliver Stone is pretty much dead to me at this point.

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Never saw it. Oliver Stone is pretty much dead to me at this point.

May be the worst film of his career. It was horrible.

Deberg_1990
07-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Stones World Trade Center was pretty good. I think that was his "ok, i f*cked up Alexander, heres my makeup movie to hollywood" flick.

It was so mainstream it didnt feel like an Oliver Stone movie at all.

Frazod
07-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Stones World Trade Center was pretty good. I think that was his "ok, i f*cked up Alexander, heres my makeup movie to hollywood" flick.

It was so mainstream it didnt feel like an Oliver Stone movie at all.

It was so mainstream I actually forgot it was an Oliver Stone movie. :D

Adept Havelock
07-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Downfall is another great World War II film. A great vision of the Battle for Berlin, and collapse of the Reich.

I'd also suggest the Joint German-Russian production "Stalingrad".

Frazod
07-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Downfall is another great World War II film. A great vision of the Battle for Berlin, and collapse of the Reich.

I'd also suggest the Joint German-Russian production "Stalingrad".

This reminded me of another war film that I really enjoyed - Enemy at the Gates - the cat and mouse sniper flick about the Battle of Stalingrad.

Deberg_1990
07-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Did anyone mention HBO's Band of Brothers?? I know it wasnt a theatrical release, but damn that was good.

Adept Havelock
07-11-2008, 10:10 PM
This reminded me of another war film that I really enjoyed - Enemy at the Gates - the cat and mouse sniper flick about the Battle of Stalingrad.

Great film, and a decent adaption of the real sniper battle, right up until the end.

Did anyone mention HBO's Band of Brothers?? I know it wasnt a theatrical release, but damn that was good.

Best miniseries I've ever seen.

ChiefsFire
07-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Does Jarhead qualify?

Guru
07-11-2008, 10:27 PM

The Gods shall strike you down for that statement.:thumb:

Guru
07-12-2008, 01:10 AM

If only they had left the love story out of it and just focused on the war. They had to get Weisz's ass in there somehow though right?

Nzoner
07-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Best miniseries I've ever seen.

I'm really looking forward to Generation Kill (http://www.hbo.com/generationkill/) as well that starts tomorrow night.

Deberg_1990
07-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm really looking forward to Generation Kill (http://www.hbo.com/generationkill/) as well that starts tomorrow night.

I heard Hanks and Spielberg are working on a Pacific Theater themed miniseries now. Similiar to Band of Brothers. That would be cool.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/

Frazod
07-12-2008, 11:19 AM
If only they had left the love story out of it and just focused on the war. They had to get Weisz's ass in there somehow though right?

That didn't bother me, as it really didn't overpower the main story. Besides, if you were living in all that misery and destruction, wouldn't you want to nail Rachel Weiss?

Buehler445
07-12-2008, 12:01 PM
May be the worst film of his career. It was horrible.

Alexander was a worthless waste of life. Holy shit. I can't believe I dropped cash to see that bull****ingshit in the theaters. Holy GAY. I wan't my 3 hours back!!

Buehler445
07-12-2008, 12:02 PM

I like Enemy at the Gates. Very well done. I'd probably keep it out of the epic realm though.