PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Franklin eager to step into Chiefs’ big receiving void

Smed1065
07-10-2008, 09:29 PM
As April’s NFL draft got closer, Will Franklin’s heart told him St. Louis, but his head was screaming Kansas City. As much as the former Missouri wide receiver would have enjoyed coming home to play for the Rams, he knew the west side of the state could be the promised land for young receivers looking for immediate playing time.

It doesn’t take an NFL personnel expert to scan the Chiefs’ roster and notice a scarcity of proven talent at the position. The team’s current wideouts have all of 121 career receptions, more than half belonging to 2007 rookie Dwayne Bowe.

With so little experience on the roster, it’s not out of the question that Franklin, the team’s fourth-round draft pick, could earn a starting job by the end of training camp, which begins July 24 in River Falls, Wis.

"Definitely," Franklin said Tuesday from St. Louis in a phone interview. "We have a bunch of young receivers, and Coach" Herm "Edwards has been saying we’re going to be young, but we’re going to give a lot of young guys in this rookie class a chance to make plays and get better.

"Outside of Bowe, we’re all young guys, and my goal is just to work hard and try to establish myself as the second or third receiver once we get into camp."

There was another matter Franklin hoped to settle before training camp: his first NFL contract. He and the Chiefs wrapped up negotiations three weeks ago, resulting in a four-year deal. Other terms of the deal were not disclosed. The timing, Franklin said, couldn’t have been better. He was the second of Kansas City’s dozen draft picks to finalize his contract.

"That was great. That means less stress and makes things easier going into camp," Franklin said. "Instead of waiting around for that that phone call, we reached agreement and it worked out great for me so I can train without the worry."

Trading in his No. 2 at Missouri for No. 85 - "I was born in 1985," Franklin said, "and I wanted to try having a high number like that" - the former Tiger has made some positive impressions during minicamp practices in Kansas City.

"He’s really quick making his moves, and he’s got really strong hands," veteran quarterback Damon Huard told The Kansas City Star in May. "He’s dropped a couple of passes, but everyone’s dropped a couple. As a rookie receiver, it’s always tough for those guys coming into a situation like this. But he’s got the skills to be a special player. If he works hard at it, he will."

It hasn’t taken long for Franklin to find a few mentors, either. The team assigned the rookie receiver a locker next to nine-time Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez, while Bowe, the team’s top draft pick last year, took Franklin under his wing during training sessions in Arizona a few months before the draft.

"He spoke to us there, and we exchanged numbers," Franklin said. "Then he was the second or third person to call me once I got drafted. So, it’s pretty cool to know I have him in my corner."

Franklin said he’s resisted the temptation to make any flashy purchases - other than a business investment just a few miles from Faurot Field. Franklin owns 40 percent of the Which Wich? sandwich shop on Ninth Street, the Dallas-based franchise’s first Missouri location. The walls of the local restaurant, which opened in April, carry several framed pictures of Franklin and his former MU teammates, including Chase Daniel and Jeremy Maclin.

Franchise executives contacted Franklin before the draft about investing in the Columbia venture.

"I thought it was a great spot to bring to Mizzou," he said. "Being a local player, I jumped right in. … I try to stay hands-on within the organization because I want to get involved in the business side of things when I’m not playing football."

Franklin already has visions of opening a second location. Naturally, in Kansas City.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2008/Jul/20080710Spor003.asp

KcMizzou
07-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Hell, yeah... Go Will. I really hope this kid succeeds.

SPATCH
07-10-2008, 10:11 PM
i'm pumped to see what he's going to do this year

and Which Wich? is the shit by the way...

KcMizzou
07-10-2008, 10:20 PM
i'm pumped to see what he's going to do this year

and Which Wich? is the shit by the way...I think it's really cool that, when he got that money, he chose to invest in a business that might make him more money in the future.

Not a car, not "bling".... he made an investment.

ArrowheadHawk
07-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Franklin as a chief is cool but put some chiefs stuff on the walls not Mizzou.

Skip Towne
07-10-2008, 10:33 PM
I hope this kid makes it. Yes, he's a MUron but everybody is entitled to one mistake.

chiefs1111
07-10-2008, 10:45 PM
I think it's really cool that, when he got that money, he chose to invest in a business that might make him more money in the future.

Not a car, not "bling".... he made an investment.

Yeah that tells me he seems to have his head on straight... I am excited to see how he progresses through camp and the preseaon,hopefully he'll step up and can be a contributor for us this year.

chiefs1111
07-10-2008, 10:46 PM
and i also want to see what Kevin Robinson can do at wide out as well

petegz28
07-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Arguably the best receiver we have outside of Bowe. Franklin is a WR, knows how to run a pass happy offense and make big plays. Now he just has to do it with the grown ups.

DeezNutz
07-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Good for him for trying to make a smart move with his money. I hope this makes him a ton of money and that he's a great player for the Chefs.

bowener
07-10-2008, 11:45 PM
I didnt realize he was part owner of that shop. I noticed some dont like which wich but i thought it was pretty tasty. I hope he gets the #2 spot. We would have a pretty big line up if we go 2WR/2TE, and that would be nice to see larry bust one outside and see the WR's blocking the DB's.

SPATCH
07-11-2008, 12:12 AM
I didnt realize he was part owner of that shop. I noticed some dont like which wich but i thought it was pretty tasty. I hope he gets the #2 spot. We would have a pretty big line up if we go 2WR/2TE, and that would be nice to see larry bust one outside and see the WR's blocking the DB's.

Kansas fans can hate all they want... but nobody, and i mean NOBODY, had a better receiving corps when it came to downfield blocking than the missouri tigers did last year.

And Franklin was a big part of that... blocking out of the wide receiver position can be invaluable

Logical
07-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Hell, yeah... Go Will. I really hope this kid succeeds.I bet even Jayhawk fans hope for that. If you want the Chiefs to succeed you have to hope their draft picks pan out.

Buehler445
07-11-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm a pretty huge Jayhawk fan, and I'm hoping this kid starts in the #2 spot.

kepp
07-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Kansas fans can hate all they want... but nobody, and i mean NOBODY, had a better receiving corps when it came to downfield blocking than the missouri tigers did last year.

And Franklin was a big part of that... blocking out of the wide receiver position can be invaluable

Yep, and they accomplished that with relatively few penalties.

Baby Lee
07-11-2008, 06:54 AM
and i also want to see what Kevin Robinson can do at wide out as well
Additionally?

Deberg_1990
07-11-2008, 06:59 AM

So hes the next Victor Bailey! Yeeeeaa!!!

King_Chief_Fan
07-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Arguably the best receiver we have outside of Bowe. Franklin is a WR, knows how to run a pass happy offense and make big plays. Now he just has to do it with the grown ups.

I am more concerned about Croyle's ability to get the ball to him than I am his running route and pass catching ability.

kepp
07-11-2008, 07:16 AM
I am more concerned about Croyle's ability to get the ball to him than I am his running route and pass catching ability.

How he makes that transition will be interesting. He's used to a very accurate QB.

DaKCMan AP
07-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Hopefully he and Darling both work out. That'd make a nice, young trio of WRs.

blueballs
07-11-2008, 08:29 AM
KC could use another good Will
The Chiefs have a long list of good Willies

boogblaster
07-11-2008, 09:26 AM
This could be a real interesting year .. We finally have talent at both WR spots plus some better blocking talent ... Maybe we can score again ....

HolyHandgernade
07-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Well, he can't hurt the Jayhawks anymore, heck yeah, I'll root for him! Sounds like a great kid, hope he does REALLY well!

-HH

FAX
07-11-2008, 11:06 AM
121 career receptions for the entire WR corp?

That, my friends, is an amazing statistic, right there.

FAX

chiefs1111
07-11-2008, 02:20 PM
121 career receptions for the entire WR corp?

That, my friends, is an amazing statistic, right there.

FAX

Damn,you know i never even thought about that..... and Bowe has 70 of them. That really puts into perspective how inexperienced we are there

blueballs
08-12-2008, 06:04 PM
August 12, 2008 7:45 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

RIVER FALLS, WIS. -- Just got back from the Chiefs workout. Had a tremendously productive two days here. I head back to Denver and will check out the Broncos and Cowboys joint practice Wednesday.

Before I head out, here is a Chiefs' evening update:

Coach Herman Edwards addressed the possibility of the Chiefs pursuing kicker Jay Feely who was just cut by Miami. The Chiefs have inexperienced kickers Connor Barth and Nick Novak in camp. Edwards didn't deny the Chiefs will have interest in Feely, but said the team will continue to see what both Barth and Novak can do. In other words, Feely may have to wait.

"We know what he can do," Edwards said of Feely. "Nothing is out of the realm of us getting better."

I talked to someone familiar with Feely's situation this evening and I was led to believe Feely may wait until, at least, after this weekend's games as teams look at what they have in camp.

Like Kansas City, Denver may also show interest in Feely if Matt Prater fails. Prater missed one of four field goals against Houston on Saturday night but he has missed just four field goals all training camp.

Meanwhile, Chiefs top draft pick Glenn Dorsey worked about 10-12 plays Tuesday as he did Monday. He is coming back from a knee injury he suffered Aug. 2. While Edwards hasn't ruled Dorsey out of the Chiefs' home preseason game against Arizona on Saturday, his chances are better of playing Aug. 23 at Miami.

Also, Chiefs quarterback Brodie Croyle praised rookie receiver Will Franklin. The Missouri product is currently winning the No. 2 receiver spot ahead of Devard Darling and Jeff Webb.

Meanwhile, around the AFC West:

The Raiders made a minor roster move and perhaps Champ Bailey's hamstring injury is a good omen in Denver.

Douche Baggins
08-12-2008, 06:13 PM
The Missouri product is currently winning the No. 2 receiver spot ahead of Devard Darling and Jeff Webb.

I've seen this nowhere else. I don't think it's true.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-12-2008, 06:15 PM
what Brodie said was, he is our starting slot WR

blueballs
08-12-2008, 06:30 PM
I've seen this nowhere else. I don't think it's true.

ask him
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-2-248/Edwards-addresses-Feely-possibility.html?post=true

Valiant
08-12-2008, 06:43 PM
"Outside of Bowe, were all young guys"

????

Uhh.. The whole receiving core is young guys..

Not a bad problem to have..

KcMizzou
08-12-2008, 07:05 PM
what Brodie said was, he is our starting slot WRYeah, that's what I heard Brodie say on the radio. He was the first guy mentioned. And as KK pointed out, when your starting QB has identified you as a reliable target, you're golden.

Direckshun
08-12-2008, 07:06 PM
My current, personal depth chart:

Bowe

Franklin

Darling/Price

Webb
Sippio

Arthur

McMahan

Joachim

StcChief
08-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Good PS battle. He should get a spot... Butts in the seats /King Carl

Bowser
08-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Good PS battle. He should get a spot... Butts in the seats /King Carl

Speaking of which - Feely IS that big named veteran player Carl likes to sign to bring the masses back!

KcMizzou
08-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Good PS battle. He should get a spot... Butts in the seats /King CarlI don't think Franklin making the team has much to do with putting butts in seats. I think he's earning it. We'll see, I guess.

Ari Chi3fs
08-12-2008, 08:24 PM
I like this kid... smart move investing in a sandwich shop in Columbia.

Shows that the kid has brains... you know, aside from the going to Mizzou thing...

However, he is from STL, so I got nothing but respect. Im truly impressed.

dorseybowe
08-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Every positive aspect of a Kansas City season can be discerned of as a reason to sell tickets.

Every negative aspect of a Kansas City season can be perceived of as a failure of Carl Peterson.

The circle of life.

Buehler445
08-12-2008, 08:30 PM
My current, personal depth chart:

Bowe

Franklin

Darling/Price

Webb
Sippio

Arthur

McMahan

Joachim

I'd put Price slightly below Darling, but totally agree.