Tribal Warfare
07-11-2008, 12:16 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hellboy_2_the_golden_army/

Guru
07-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Thats just shocking.

Buehler445
07-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Wow. I wasn't considering seeing this one, but now I'm intrigued.

Deberg_1990
07-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Thats just shocking.

Why? Its made by Guillermo del Toro. One of the best directors working today.

The first one was good overall, but could have used a little bit more punch at the end.

Sounds like he got total creative control this time.

Count Zarth
07-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Del Toro shits gold.

Can't wait to see this in DLP next week.

edit - aw ****, journey to the center of the earth got our DLP screen. Oh well, it's in 3D!

kc rush
07-11-2008, 07:16 AM
I was really surprised by the first one. I watched it on cable about a year ago not expecting much and really enjoyed the humor in it. I'll definitely see the sequel.

KcMizzou
07-11-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm gonna have to find a way to squeeze it in...

Man, this has been a great summer for movies.

I wish they'd spread them out a bit.

Count Zarth
07-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Harry Potter and James Bond this fall!

And at least 2 or 3 other flicks I want to see.

NewChief
07-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Our local paper gave it a pretty poor review. Said there was too much eye candy to the point of it being overwhelming. Said they were hoping for more naturalistic CGI like in Pan's Labyrinth.

I was excited to get online this morning and see other critics hyping it. Stephanie Zacharek from salon.com dug it, and she's usually hard on hyped movies with lots of CGI.

Pestilence
07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I'll be taking the girlfriend tonight.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-11-2008, 10:06 AM
The wife and I are doing a Hellboy II/Dark Knight double feature next weekend.

MOhillbilly
07-11-2008, 10:13 AM
pans labyrinth was an awesome movie imo, so ill go see what del toro did with this one.

Pestilence

Dude....I wish they had that here. The girlfriend and I will be fighting the crowds next Friday night to see The Dark Knight.

HC_Chief

Nice! :thumb:

Count Zarth
07-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Hellboy II doesn't have too much CGI. It uses live action animatronics combined with CGI. That's pure win, and perfect application of the technology.

Dartgod
07-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm looking forward to this as well. I have Hellboy queued up in the DVR to watch before we go.

CoMoChief
07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
First Hellboy sucked IMO, actually I didn't wanna see but my friend did so I went with him to see it.

I will not be seeing this one. I think the Hellboy story is retarded anyway.

keg in kc
07-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Going to see it...right now!

Pestilence
07-11-2008, 12:14 PM
First Hellboy sucked IMO, actually I didn't wanna see but my friend did so I went with him to see it.

I will not be seeing this one. I think the Hellboy story is retarded anyway.

You're retarded.

Pablo
07-11-2008, 12:15 PM

I will not be seeing this one. I think the Hellboy story is retarded anyway.Pretty much all superhero/comic book stories are retarded, but I'm optimistic about Hellboy 2. I saw the first one, just a few days ago for the first time, I thought it was alright, nothing that blew my mind, but an enjoyable watch for most of the time.

I hope this one is better.

Pestilence
07-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Pretty much all superhero/comic book stories are retarded, but I'm optimistic about Hellboy 2. I saw the first one, just a few days ago for the first time, I thought it was alright, nothing that blew my mind, but an enjoyable watch for most of the time.

:spock:

Pablo
07-11-2008, 12:17 PM
:spock:That's my opinion. I don't like the Spiderman, Hulk, or XMen series. I don't enjoy them at all.

Pestilence
07-11-2008, 12:30 PM
That's my opinion. I don't like the Spiderman, Hulk, or XMen series. I don't enjoy them at all.

Batman? Superman? Ironman?

RedNeckRaider
07-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Pretty much all superhero/comic book stories are retarded, but I'm optimistic about Hellboy 2. I saw the first one, just a few days ago for the first time, I thought it was alright, nothing that blew my mind, but an enjoyable watch for most of the time.

I saw the trailer for Hellboy 2 on tv and later was at CD Outpost. I was looking around and saw Hellboy 1 I bought it cheap and watched last sunday. It was alright and when #2 hits blockbuster I will rent it. I like you do not care much for the comic book movies. They had Spiderman 1 and 2 for 3.99 each I passed, have seen the 1st one and that was enough.

Deberg_1990
07-11-2008, 12:46 PM

Wow...i wish my wife were in to sci-fi and fantasy flicks like that.

Does this mean you will have to make it up to her with a 27 Dresses/Sex in the City weekend??

Fried Meat Ball!
07-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Wow...i wish my wife were in to sci-fi and fantasy flicks like that.

Does this mean you will have to make it up to her with a 27 Dresses/Sex in the City weekend??

No. :D

Actually, she has a few of those types of movies that she likes, but for the most part we really tend to like the same things. She's not as picky as I am, but she really enjoys the same stuff.

Pablo
07-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Batman? Superman? Ironman?I liked the old Batman movies, and the Dark Knight looks pretty awesome. It opens up on my birthday, so I'll try to go see it in theatres. I have Batman Begins on order from Netflix. The only Superman movies I've seen are the old ones with Christoper Reeves, and I have no desire to see the one that came out a couple of years ago.

Didn't see Ironman, because I just generally don't like superhero type movies at all. I might rent it when it comes out, but that's probably only because I have a bluray player.

Batman really is the exception to the rule for me. Don't know why, but I've never disliked Batman for any reason.

El Jefe
07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I liked the old Batman movies, and the Dark Knight looks pretty awesome. It opens up on my birthday, so I'll try to go see it in theatres. I have Batman Begins on order from Netflix. The only Superman movies I've seen are the old ones with Christoper Reeves, and I have no desire to see the one that came out a couple of years ago.

Didn't see Ironman, because I just generally don't like superhero type movies at all. I might rent it when it comes out, but that's probably only because I have a bluray player.

Batman really is the exception to the rule for me. Don't know why, but I've never disliked Batman for any reason.

Ironman is awesome, I saw it twice in theatre's, I thought the first Hell Boy was a little blah, but my dad loved it.

keg in kc
07-11-2008, 04:40 PM
They had Spiderman 1 and 2 for 3.99 each I passed, have seen the 1st one and that was enough.You missed out, Spider-Man 2 is really a good flick.

As for Hellboy 2, I loved it, probably as much as I liked Iron Man. I re-watched the first Hellboy last night, and while I like it, it's just missing...something, for me. The second one didn't leave me feeling like that at all. Damn good movie (not just compared to other comic book films) and some of the best fantasy I've ever seen depicted on the big screen.

Deberg_1990
07-11-2008, 04:42 PM
I re-watched the first Hellboy last night, and while I like it, it's just missing...something, for me.

I liked the first one, but the ending was weak. It just sort of ends.....blah.

keg in kc
07-11-2008, 04:44 PM
This one just sort of ends, as well. I won't give anything away beyond that.

Oh, and I stayed pretty far into the credits, nothing extra that I saw, although I didn't wait until the bitter end.

blueballs
07-11-2008, 05:19 PM
1 must have come out the same time as a blockbuster
nobody ever talked about it
I thought i was the only one who liked it

Tribal Warfare
07-11-2008, 11:53 PM
This movie was the awesome!

irishjayhawk
07-12-2008, 01:29 AM
pans labyrinth was an awesome movie imo, so ill go see what del toro did with this one.

Pan's Labyrinth continues to be underrated because most Americans won't watch films with subtitles. I believe I can firmly say because they're lazy.

The Lives of Others was another subtitled gem.

You missed out, Spider-Man 2 is really a good flick.

As for Hellboy 2, I loved it, probably as much as I liked Iron Man. I re-watched the first Hellboy last night, and while I like it, it's just missing...something, for me. The second one didn't leave me feeling like that at all. Damn good movie (not just compared to other comic book films) and some of the best fantasy I've ever seen depicted on the big screen.

Do I need to see 1 before 2?

keg in kc
07-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Do I need to see 1 before 2?No, you'd be fine just watching 2.

the Talking Can
07-12-2008, 07:24 AM
good movie, mostly because Del Toro "labyrinth-ized" it....he does fantasy better than anyone....and it isn't even close

i thought the prince was an excellent character and actor...didn't care much for the german....

Deberg_1990
07-12-2008, 09:15 AM
good movie, mostly because Del Toro "labyrinth-ized" it....he does fantasy better than anyone....and it isn't even close

i thought the prince was an excellent character and actor...didn't care much for the german....

del Toro is great. Even his older genre stuff like Cronos, Mimic and Blade II are way better than they have any right to be.

the Talking Can
07-12-2008, 09:29 AM
del Toro is great. Even his older genre stuff like Cronos, Mimic and Blade II are way better than they have any right to be.

shows what a director with real imagination can do, even to big hollywood movies....Hellboy 2 makes the first one look like a straight to dvd movie, by comparison....

Deberg_1990
07-12-2008, 09:35 AM
shows what a director with real imagination can do, even to big hollywood movies....Hellboy 2 makes the first one look like a straight to dvd movie, by comparison....

He was hand picked by Peter Jackson to direct "The Hobbit"

Im pretty confident that was a good choice.

the Talking Can
07-12-2008, 10:19 AM
He was hand picked by Peter Jackson to direct "The Hobbit"

Im pretty confident that was a good choice.

had that same thought watching the movie....the monster that accompanies the prince would fit right in to LOTR...

Pestilence
07-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Overall it was a damn good movie. There were some parts that kind of disappointed me....but you can't please everyone.

Such as.....

Why did Hellboy look smaller?
What happened to Liz's blue flames?
Why the hell did Abe not have the same voice?

Tribal Warfare
07-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Why the hell did Abe not have the same voice?

Doug Jones was the same actor they casted in the 1st one

KCChiefsMan
07-12-2008, 06:51 PM
I saw it last night and I liked it! I liked the first one and this one was pretty good!

Sure-Oz
07-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Saw it earlier, was a bit better than the first one....it seemed to end quick and sudden. Hellboy did seem a bit smaller...

It still seemed like hellboy 1 but a bit more entertaining and not as slow i guess.

AZORChiefFan
07-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Doug Jones was the same actor they casted in the 1st one
But in the first one David Hyde Pierce supplied the voice for Abe.

NewChief
07-14-2008, 04:54 AM
But in the first one David Hyde Pierce supplied the voice for Abe.

The story I got somewhere was that Doug Jones brought so much to the character's movements, that they felt it was unfair to not let him do the voice as well. Pierce voluntarily backed out, and they decided to let Jones handle the voice so that the character would be entirely his, not an amalgamation of two people.

Deberg_1990
07-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Just saw it. Great flick. Del Toro has one hell of an imagination. The visuals/special effects/set designs were awesume.

Best part about it was the generous use of "on set" practical effects and real character makeup effects instead of CGI.

Just an all-around fun flick. Nothing too serious.

Oh yea, best use of Barry Manilow ever! Barry OWNS all!

BigMeatballDave
07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
You're retarded.LMAO

Sure-Oz
07-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Just saw it. Great flick. Del Toro has one hell of an imagination. The visuals/special effects/set designs were awesume.

Best part about it was the generous use of "on set" practical effects and real character makeup effects instead of CGI.

Just an all-around fun flick. Nothing too serious.

Oh yea, best use of Barry Manilow ever! Barry OWNS all!

I liked the makeup stuff as well, i expected a ton of CGI and was pleasantly suprised.

GF loved the flick

Demonpenz
07-14-2008, 08:01 PM
is there a version of pans lybrenth that is dubbed ?

Deberg_1990
07-14-2008, 08:05 PM
is there a version of pans lybrenth that is dubbed ?

Check out the DVD. I think there might be one on there.

Sure-Oz
07-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Check out the DVD. I think there might be one on there.

I think it is too, but wouldn't it be better in original voice? I have that Que'd on netflix for Blu Ray, is it worth it? or should i just watch it with the online part of Netflix

NewChief
07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
I think it is too, but wouldn't it be better in original voice? I have that Que'd on netflix for Blu Ray, is it worth it? or should i just watch it with the online part of Netflix

Knowing Demonpenz, he was making a joke.

HC_Chief
07-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Effects were great; Del Torro has brilliant vision and directorial 5k1llz.

I found the dialogue and story to be boring and forced for a film of this genre. The first one was better written. The second one looked better.

JMO

Oj yeah, The Hobbit will be freaking awesome if BDT does direct!

Fried Meat Ball!
07-15-2008, 09:20 AM
BDT? Are you thinking Benicio? It's not Benicio. It's Guillermo. Not the same cat.

HC_Chief
07-15-2008, 09:38 AM
BDT? Are you thinking Benicio? It's not Benicio. It's Guillermo. Not the same cat.

ROFLMAO - you're right!! hahahaha

GDT, not BDT.

Demonpenz
07-15-2008, 10:27 AM
The subtitles never bothered me, but most people don't want to do any reading (they would read a book) I wanted to know if there is a dubbed version that the lazy people could watch. I have only watched a couple subtittled movies I could barely noticed because you could catch a couple words and look at the body language to know what was going on.

Swanman
07-15-2008, 02:26 PM
The subtitles never bothered me, but most people don't want to do any reading (they would read a book) I wanted to know if there is a dubbed version that the lazy people could watch. I have only watched a couple subtittled movies I could barely noticed because you could catch a couple words and look at the body language to know what was going on.

I thought subtitles would bug me, but after watching "Letters from Iwo Jima", my brain just got trained to read the subtitles in conjunction with watching the film. By the end, I didn't realize I was reading all the lines of dialogue.

KcMizzou
07-15-2008, 05:26 PM
I thought subtitles would bug me, but after watching "Letters from Iwo Jima", my brain just got trained to read the subtitles in conjunction with watching the film. By the end, I didn't realize I was reading all the lines of dialogue.That's what I was gonna say.

If the movie's good enough, eventually you'll forget you're reading subtitles.

Count Zarth
07-15-2008, 09:12 PM
****. I didn't really like it. I wanted to...but I was pretty disappointed.

Visually spectacular, but lacking in many ways.

Deberg_1990
07-15-2008, 09:25 PM
****. I didn't really like it. I wanted to...but I was pretty disappointed.

Visually spectacular, but lacking in many ways.

Its not high art, but its alot of fun.

Count Zarth
07-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Its not high art, but its alot of fun.

The same can be said for Wanted. I enjoyed it a lot more. A hell of a lot more, in fact.

I feel frustrated. Dark Knight better be orgasmic on Thursday.

Valiant
07-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I would love to see him direct and come up with the character visuals for xmen.. Bring me Apocalypse and the four horsemen dammit.. And Sentinels I want Sentinels..