PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Okay Mac fanbois, where is the outrage?

HC_Chief
07-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Apple's iPhone 2.0 update is failing
Posted by Matt Asay 41 comments
(Credit: Matt Asay)
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20080711/Picture_4.png
Look familiar? It's what I and others have been seeing this morning when trying to upgrade to the iPhone 2.0 firmware. Apple's servers are apparently being dismantled by heavy traffic. That's nice. But now I have a brick with no ability to call, no contacts, nothing.

Isn't there some way to prepare for this? Don't hype a product unless you're prepared to let people actually use it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9988728-16.html?hhTest=1

HC_Chief
07-11-2008, 10:55 AM
The new phones require in-store activation. This is causing massive congestion in the stores.

The original iPhone launch was a model of efficiency; this is a model in how to piss off customers.

NewChief
07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
The new phones require in-store activation. This is causing massive congestion in the stores.

The original iPhone launch was a model of efficiency; this is a model in how to piss off customers.

Drove by a store, and the line was huge. Probably 100 people standing outside. My wife is clamoring for one, but I told her we're going to have to wait a bit.

Sucks that the release isn't going as planned, but I doubt that it will stop folks from drinking the kool-aid.

Silock
07-11-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure how outraged you can be about the fact that the problems are caused by people WANTING the product.

irishjayhawk
07-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Just to clear things up, the CHANGE was due to ATT not Apple.

HC_Chief
07-11-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure how outraged you can be about the fact that the problems are caused by people WANTING the product.

Wrong. The problem is piss-poor planning and execution on the supply side. Blaming demand when the supply-side is f*cked is akin to blaming the fork for your being fat.

markk
07-11-2008, 11:04 AM
people who wait in line fo rthem are tools anyway.

HC_Chief
07-11-2008, 11:09 AM
My favorite: when you download the 2.0 software and attempt to upgrade, it first backs up your phone - a SMART move! Next, it wipes your phone and loads the new software. No problem there as you have a recent backup. It then MUST connect to the frigging iTunes Store, which is down, to activate. It fails because the site is down; this BRICKS your phone. You can't even RESTORE FROM THE RECENT BACKUP because that has to occur via iTunes. To restore, you have to connect to the summary page - that now simply says "iPhone". No new software, no possibility to restore. No ability to MAKE A F*CKING CALL EITHER.

Great. Nice planning and testing.

If this were a M$ product you Apple/Linux fanbois would have a conniption.

Saulbadguy
07-11-2008, 11:12 AM
If this were a M$ product you Apple/Linux fanbois would have a conniption.
These problems are fewer and far between with Apple/Linux because of 2 magic words...MARKET SHARE.

I'll add that Apple has always had problems with firmware updates and iPods. Nothing new.

Silock
07-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Wrong. The problem is piss-poor planning and execution on the supply side. Blaming demand when the supply-side is f*cked is akin to blaming the fork for your being fat.

Bullshit. They're supposed to be psychic when it comes to how many people are going to buy their product? Give me a break.

Saulbadguy
07-11-2008, 11:16 AM

It's not as profitable to supply the US with these things as it is the international market, fwiw.

Saulbadguy
07-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Bullshit. They're supposed to be psychic when it comes to how many people are going to buy their product? Give me a break.

Uh, yes.

HC_Chief
07-11-2008, 11:20 AM

LOL, you must be one of the "fanbois" I have been referring-to.

Apple marketed the hell out of this product. The hype was nearly equal to the original launch, WHICH WENT SMOOTHLY.

This launch has been a clusterf*ck so far.

irishjayhawk
07-11-2008, 11:22 AM
If I had to chalk this up to anything I'd say it's ATT's new plan of in-store activation. With the at-home style, things were more spread out time wise.

HC_Chief
07-11-2008, 11:27 AM
If I had to chalk this up to anything I'd say it's ATT's new plan of in-store activation. With the at-home style, things were more spread out time wise.

ATT has definitely earned their fair share of ire in this debacle. They can sit & spin too, as far as I'm concerned.

What pisses me off the most is I just wanted to update my existing phone. I did not/do not plan on standing in line for a new one.... just update my software.

While I appreciate the fact that demand will put added pressure on servers, the PROCESS disallows reversion to previous state if/when THE SERVER GOES DOWN. Anyone who has spent any time at all in software development should know that your SDLC MUST allow for graceful failback to a previous state. This process fails miserably in that capacity. When their servers crash, YOUR PHONE IS BRICKED!!!

Silock
07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
LOL, you must be one of the "fanbois" I have been referring-to.

Apple marketed the hell out of this product. The hype was nearly equal to the original launch, WHICH WENT SMOOTHLY.

This launch has been a clusterf*ck so far.

Apple didn't hype the product any more than their other products. They made a commercial telling people it was there, but the hype came from people that already had iPhones and the technology community.

Yeah, the original launch went smoothly, but what does that have to do with this one? AT&T changed the rules. If you hate Apple so much, why don't you show them and get rid of your phone?

Sorry about your luck with the iPhone, but you're being a bit irrational. You'll get some sort of compensation, either from Apple or AT&T, and until then, step outside and take a deep breath. You'll be okay.

And no, I don't have an iPhone. They're stupidly expensive, lack basic phone features and AT&T blows donkey nuts.

Silock
07-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Anyone who has spent any time at all in software development should know that your SDLC MUST allow for graceful failback to a previous state. This process fails miserably in that capacity. When their servers crash, YOUR PHONE IS BRICKED!!!

The fact that it has to again connect to iTunes to do that suggests to me that that has a LOT to do with AT&T and trying to keep the phones exclusive to their network.

morphius
07-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I like Apple, they just work... opps.

I guess at least they are consistent with iphone releases...

HC_Chief
07-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Great take in response to the piece in the thread starter:

Should have released the 2.0 SW with the iTunes 7.7 release. This way, all the EXISTING iPhone owners could have upgraded (and most importantly ,re-activated the phone through the itunes store) BEFORE the MAD CRUSH of people trying to activate the 3G phones.

Now I've got a brick until the iTunes store has the gumption to handle the requests.

irishjayhawk
07-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I like Apple, they just work... opps.

I guess at least they are consistent with iphone releases...

What happened last time?

irishjayhawk
07-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Great take in response to the piece in the thread starter:

I'm not going to deny that Apple screwed the pooch on THAT part of the launch.

HC_Chief
07-11-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm not going to deny that Apple screwed the pooch on THAT part of the launch.

Yep... and that's the angle I'm coming from.

BTW I finally got the activation to go through. So far so good. I like the new features. I will especially like having my Exchange email pushed to my phone!!!!!!!!!

I have downloaded 4 new apps from the app store.

irishjayhawk
07-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Yep... and that's the angle I'm coming from.

BTW I finally got the activation to go through. So far so good. I like the new features. I will especially like having my Exchange email pushed to my phone!!!!!!!!!

I have downloaded 4 new apps from the app store.

What's funny is everyone will have the same reaction you do. I HATE APPLE!!!! and then minutes later when it works I LOVE APPLE.

In a few months time, people will have forgotten. It won't be until the next product launch people get antsy. And I'll be $1000000000 that they'll be ready.

HC_Chief
07-11-2008, 01:01 PM
What's funny is everyone will have the same reaction you do. I HATE APPLE!!!! and then minutes later when it works I LOVE APPLE.

In a few months time, people will have forgotten. It won't be until the next product launch people get antsy. And I'll be $1000000000 that they'll be ready.

I never said I hate Apple. I'm simply pissed they did such a shitty job with this release. If they continue to have shitty releases I'll continue to call them on it; just like the fanbois do when M$ does something.

Fact of the matter is software development takes a lot of time and hard work. I should know, it's what I do for a living. What pisses me off is when all that hard work is for naught due to artificial timelines and marketing. TAKE THE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. TEST YOUR RELEASE, THEN TEST IT AGAIN.

Fish
07-11-2008, 02:31 PM
ATT has definitely earned their fair share of ire in this debacle. They can sit & spin too, as far as I'm concerned.

What pisses me off the most is I just wanted to update my existing phone. I did not/do not plan on standing in line for a new one.... just update my software.

While I appreciate the fact that demand will put added pressure on servers, the PROCESS disallows reversion to previous state if/when THE SERVER GOES DOWN. Anyone who has spent any time at all in software development should know that your SDLC MUST allow for graceful failback to a previous state. This process fails miserably in that capacity. When their servers crash, YOUR PHONE IS BRICKED!!!

No offense, but maybe you should have considered waiting to update your phone till after the day Apple released a new product line that people would be standing in line for.

Like buying Christmas presents at 8pm Christmas eve... you have to expect lots of other people are going to be doing the same thing...

Silock
07-11-2008, 02:34 PM
No offense, but maybe you should have considered waiting to update your phone till after the day Apple released a new product line that people would be standing in line for.

Like buying Christmas presents at 8pm Christmas eve... you have to expect lots of other people are going to be doing the same thing...

Ridiculous. Only manufacturers should be expected to be psychic.

NewChief
07-11-2008, 02:36 PM
MS would never put together a release as anticipated as this. They're having to force their new OS on people, so they certainly don't have the problem of too many users trying to get it at once.

Frazod
07-11-2008, 03:01 PM
people who wait in line fo rthem are tools anyway.

Yep. Gotta love those hipNtrendY types. They make first rate guinea pigs. :thumb: