PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Any Stargate Atlanits fans out there?

Taco John
07-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Pretty good show tonight. Anyone else addicted to this series?

KcMizzou
07-12-2008, 02:12 AM
That's one of those series I've always been interested in... but I don't know if I could jump in in the middle.

What do you think, TJ? You obviously know the show better than I...

Taco John
07-12-2008, 04:42 AM
That's one of those series I've always been interested in... but I don't know if I could jump in in the middle.

What do you think, TJ? You obviously know the show better than I...

No, you don't want to start in the middle. Well, I take that back. The show is worth watching, period. But the long term story line is half the fun of the series. The story is worth going through and watching unfold. I would recommend buying the DVD seasons used via Amazon and catching up to it. Or for that matter, going back all the way to Season 1 of Stargate SG-1 and starting from the very beginning. As far as I'm concerned, televisions were made for Stargate SG-1. It starts out a little slow, but once it builds up steam, it's a hell of a ride. The character development and storyline in SG-1 is fun to watch unfold. They do a good job of making you care about the characters, and the show is as such where sometimes the protagonists are incredibly vulnerable, and other times they're complete badasses.

I think about anyone could get into and enjoy these shows.

milkman
07-12-2008, 07:59 AM
I don't think I'm going to be too happy with the change of command.

Taco John
07-12-2008, 11:38 AM
I don't think I'm going to be too happy with the change of command.

No, me either. In fact, as much as I love the show, the writers have really disappointed me with some of their character decisions. I thought Tori Higginson was great, and just when I started to really care about her character, they go and kill her off. But I was ok with it, because they brought in Amanda Tapping, which makes sense. But now with Woolsey being the commander, I'm a little perplexed why they'd put such an unlikable character in that role. He's a bureaucrat, not a commander.

I watcht he show for Sheppard, Ronon, Rodney, Teyla, and the Wraith, Todd. So long as they don't screw that up, I'll keep watching.

unlurking
07-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Woolsey is awesome!

He was the only actor I liked from the crappy ST Voyager. (7 of 9 doesn't count. She was a great body, but a shitty character/actress.)

Haven't watched yesterday's show yet (on TIVO), will check it out tonight.

Anyways, I would highly recommend NetFlix. Just put all of the SG1 seasons in your queue, then move on to the SG Atlantis episodes. NetFlix is great for this kind of thing.

Rewatched the B5 series last year that way. Vastly under rated show.

GMitch
07-12-2008, 03:08 PM
No, you don't want to start in the middle. Well, I take that back. The show is worth watching, period. But the long term story line is half the fun of the series. The story is worth going through and watching unfold. I would recommend buying the DVD seasons used via Amazon and catching up to it. Or for that matter, going back all the way to Season 1 of Stargate SG-1 and starting from the very beginning. As far as I'm concerned, televisions were made for Stargate SG-1. It starts out a little slow, but once it builds up steam, it's a hell of a ride. The character development and storyline in SG-1 is fun to watch unfold. They do a good job of making you care about the characters, and the show is as such where sometimes the protagonists are incredibly vulnerable, and other times they're complete badasses.

I think about anyone could get into and enjoy these shows.

One of the things I always liked best about SG-1 was the sense of humor.

"But, but, he's a Jaffah!" "No, he just plays one on TV."

Atlantis is good but it doesn't have the knack for laughing at itself the way SG-1 did.

Bowser
07-12-2008, 03:12 PM

Atlantis is good but it doesn't have the knack for laughing at itself the way SG-1 did.

True, but it brings a darker element, especially since the death of Elizabeth.

Thanks for the reminder, TJ. I had the DVIR set up to record this; I'll have to see if the command made it through a few power outages due to frickin' storms.

GMitch
07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
True, but it brings a darker element, especially since the death of Elizabeth.

Thanks for the reminder, TJ. I had the DVIR set up to record this; I'll have to see if the command made it through a few power outages due to frickin' storms.

Don't misunderstand me, I like Atlantis and try to never miss an episode. By the way, I think Woolsey is going to provide an interesting dynamic as he tries to rein in Sheppard and Ronan. As much as I've always liked Carter, there wasn't much contrast/conflict between her and Sheppard.

Taco John
07-12-2008, 04:22 PM
It looks like they've already got the Season 5 first episode up over here:

http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/television/Stargate_Atlantis.html

Taco John
07-12-2008, 04:24 PM

Yes and no. Sheppard and McKay offer a lot of humor, but none of it can match the humor that Jack Oneill inserted into SG-1. That character is one for all time.

"If you had been listening to Carter, Daniel, you'd have heard her say that those Nintendos pass through everything!" /meaning neutrinos

:LOL:

Taco John
07-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I used to think Atlantis was the better show... But now in my 4th season of SG-1, I think the character coherency and consistency of SG-1 puts Atlantis to shame. I love both shows, but SG-1 has won my heart over.

Third Eye
07-12-2008, 07:17 PM
I loved the way they got some shots in at Sci-Fi's expense in the last couple episodes of SG1. Can't wait for Continuum.

Bowser
07-13-2008, 09:24 AM
I used to think Atlantis was the better show... But now in my 4th season of SG-1, I think the character coherency and consistency of SG-1 puts Atlantis to shame. I love both shows, but SG-1 has won my heart over.

I loved the way they got some shots in at Sci-Fi's expense in the last couple episodes of SG1. Can't wait for Continuum.

Yeah, they did the right thing bringing O'neil back for Continuum. The dynamics the four characters had on SG-1 has been unmatched since they "promoted" O'neil to command. Atlantis is good, but just has a different vibe. Seeimg the EMH in command will be interesting; hopefully is not quite as whiny as his character has been thus far.

Valiant
07-13-2008, 01:39 PM
No, me either. In fact, as much as I love the show, the writers have really disappointed me with some of their character decisions. I thought Tori Higginson was great, and just when I started to really care about her character, they go and kill her off. But I was ok with it, because they brought in Amanda Tapping, which makes sense. But now with Woolsey being the commander, I'm a little perplexed why they'd put such an unlikable character in that role. He's a bureaucrat, not a commander.

I watcht he show for Sheppard, Ronon, Rodney, Teyla, and the Wraith, Todd. So long as they don't screw that up, I'll keep watching.

I don't think he will last very long..

As for the show.. I did not like it much when SG1 was around.. But it is growing on me.. Waiting on the other seasons on netflix..