PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto When Buying a Used Vehicle which is better In Your Opinion?

Stinger
07-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I have been wanting/needing to get a truck for a year or so now and since gas is so cheap right now I figure strike while it's hot. Anyway just curious on what everyone thinks is better? Less years on the vehicle or less mileage on the vehicle?

I am looking at two used vehicles. One is 1997 1 owner with less than 44,000 miles. The other is a 2003 and has 90,000 so it only 5 years old. Both are in great shape and condition and roughly the same price.

So age old question which is better??? Newer with more miles or older with less. What say ye on the Planet?

***Disclaimer- This is vehicle is not mine nor the wifes primary vehicle. We do quite a bit of hauling and also will need something to pull a pop-up camper for the family soon.

KCUnited
07-12-2008, 08:38 AM
10 years old and only 44,000. Is it rebuilt? That sounds to good to be true.

Phobia
07-12-2008, 08:40 AM
You're in Missouri? If everything else is equal, I'd go with the older vehicle so you're not paying the county assessor for a newer vehicle every year.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-12-2008, 08:42 AM
It's a trade-off for the most part. The newer truck will have more features than the older one and will probably be slightly more fuel efficient, but the older one will be cheaper to license & insure. Personally, I'd probably lean towards the older one since mileage generally creates more wear & tear than time.

Stinger
07-12-2008, 08:43 AM
10 years old and only 44,000. Is it rebuilt? That sounds to good to be true.

Nope everything is legit. I thought the same thing but I had my mechanic check it out and nothing is rebuilt. One of those stories you hear of the owners being an older couple and not using it except for this and that.

StcChief
07-12-2008, 08:44 AM
44K verifiable driven by a little old lady from Springfield to church/story weekly?
sounds good. Phobia is right.
The scam is if you can pay CASH. have them sign over title
and report paying less (bad motor) for vehicle for Sales tax being paid AGAIN.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Nope everything is legit. I thought the same thing but I had my mechanic check it out and nothing is rebuilt. One of those stories you hear of the owners being an older couple and not using it except for this and that.
I guess a lot depends on how it's been used, if it has just been used for short trips its whole life then it could have a lot of engine wear for its mileage, startups are when the most wear happens to an engine because there is no oil flowing. My mom used to have a Pontiac Sunbird that only had around 45K on it when it was ten years old, but the engine was shot from all of the short trips. That was a very extreme case though.

REDHOTGTO
07-12-2008, 08:56 AM
being a car salesman for 20 yrs now, believe it or not the one with more miles is probably in better (drive me now shape) than the older low mileage one. the reason is this, all those parts on that low mileage car have been sitting there getting old too and brake pads, plugs, wires etc etc, are 10 yrs old now and not replaced (9.9 times out if 10) and if the car sat outside all the trim and paint and tires have rot on them too. from a standpoint of lets drive now, the higher mileage car (probably) has been maintained and serviced and had what it needs to keep running.
just my 2c
red

blueballs
07-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Which is closer to how you will drive it

StcChief
07-12-2008, 09:41 AM
being a car salesman for 20 yrs now, believe it or not the one with more miles is probably in better (drive me now shape) than the older low mileage one. the reason is this, all those parts on that low mileage car have been sitting there getting old too and brake pads, plugs, wires etc etc, are 10 yrs old now and not replaced (9.9 times out if 10) and if the car sat outside all the trim and paint and tires have rot on them too. from a standpoint of lets drive now, the higher mileage car (probably) has been maintained and serviced and had what it needs to keep running.
just my 2c
redI've heard that from a buddy that sells used cars.... It really all depends on what your buying, do the have maint records etc.

Silock
07-12-2008, 09:49 AM
I would definitely say it depends on the vehicle. If it's got low miles but has been well-maintained, then go for it. The newer one may have been driven into the ground and is just waiting to fall apart. You never really know.

This is coming from someone that has a 2003 car with less than 45k miles on it.

phillip
07-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I'd get the newer one.

I have a 92 that I bought a few years ago with 57K miles on it, and another 92 I bought four years ago with 63K miles. Both were around 10 years old at the time of purchase. Both have had tons of problems.

My fiance has an 03 with 110K miles and my Dad has an 03 with 120K miles and both cars are extremely reliable. I believe break pads are all they've needed.

Stinger
07-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks to all that have responded. It is interesting to me to see where people stand on the issue.

To clarify I do not have the maint. records on either vehicle yet. Just a lot of preliminary work. I have had a mechanic (one whom I trust and have used for years) check the older and he said it is good working order and no rebuilds in the engine. I have not had him look at the other yet.

This vehicle would be used as a secondary vehicle. I use another vehicle for work & my wife has her main vehicle as well. My wife enjoys gardening and I enjoy landscaping something is always needing cleared or hauled in. We are also in way inheriting a camper in a little while and we will need something to pull it. So yes there will be some mileage put on the vehicle but not a whole lot.

And not really in the mix but a distant thought .... son is 11 and in a fews years will be driving so he may inherit the vehicle when he is of driving age.

Hope that helps clarifies things a little.

Buehler445
07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I would go with the lower mileage one. Both sides have valid points and ultimately it is a case by case basis, but as a rule of thumb, miles add more wear and tear than do years.

Buehler445
07-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Actually, looking at your last post, I would go with the new one. Since you won't put many miles on it, I doubt you have mechanical problems.

One thing to check out is what it can hold on the hitch. It would royally blow to buy a pickup and not have it be able to tow your camper.

JASONSAUTO
07-12-2008, 12:24 PM
WHAT kind of trucks are we talking about im a mechanic who works on all types and might be able to give some insight on problems inherant to a particular type

beach tribe
07-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I would always go with the fewer miles. Less wear, and tear.

Yeah it might need wires, or a tune up, but in the long run, It should outlast the other one, before needing MAJOR repairs.

Chief Roundup
07-12-2008, 04:02 PM
I would have to check the reviews for both vehicles to see if a certain year or model had some issues that the other one didn't.

tmax63
07-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Out here you can buy a new dodge 1500 4x4 for in the neighborhood of 17,500. Right now is the time to buy if your looking for full-sized pickups. Both sound like good deals. I personally would would go newer because it's had time, if anything was defective from the factory, it would of showed by now but not nearly enough miles to wear anything major out yet.

RustShack
07-12-2008, 05:18 PM
You could probably pick up more chicks with the newer one, not as many as a motorcyle, but its a step up.

Deberg_1990
07-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Stinger,

You never said what types of vehicles these are?? Make and Model.

That could make a HUGE difference. Read the reviews for each. Do some research.

stumppy
07-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Without any other info about the vehicles I would take the one with lower mileage. What it boils down to for me is maintenance. Not just oil changes but what the owners manual says. If the one with higher mileage has been maintained properly then I would not worry about the difference in mileage. With that many miles it should have had the cooling system and differential serviced at least once, the trans. serv. a couple times. Spark plugs, air and fuel (if it has one) filters replaced once or twice.
If the one with lower miles has been parked for any length of time ( 6 months or more) it will be more likely to develope oil and/or coolant leaks. Also, like GoBo said, short trips are hard on an engine. If it was only used to drive to the store and beauty salon once every two weeks it probably has more wear on the engine than the other one. Probably not a significant amount though.
Whichever one you get the first thing you should do is get a motorcycle and keep it in the bed. A pickup truck with a motorcycle in the back are pussy gettin mother fuggers.

Stinger
07-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks to all who posted. Sorry been gone almost all day to reply to some questions.

For those asking the 1997 is a GMC Sierra 1500 with the 3rd door.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/1997/GMC/5214/1997.gmc.sierra1500.4480-300x189.jpg

The 2003 is a Ford 150 4 door

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2002/Ford/100002580/2002.ford.f150.3865-300x189.jpg

Both are V-8's, 4 wheel drive, and have the tow packages. Each have the standard PW, PD, Keyless, air, cruise/etc. I am not much of a bells and whistle person, give me air and cruise and I am happy. The 1997 is a leather interior but that is not a big deal for me in a truck.

Deberg_1990
07-12-2008, 08:55 PM
A pickup truck with a motorcycle in the back are pussy gettin mother fuggers.

You been hanging out with Midnight_douchbag?

Ugly Duck
07-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Mileage is a tricky thing to judge a car by. 60K of stop n' go driving is harder on a vehicle than 100K of freeway driving. Can't just go on the total mileage, but also gotta look at what kind of miles are on the thing.

JASONSAUTO
07-13-2008, 12:07 PM
the 97 you have to check the ball joints,idler, pitman,and the front axle side seals, all common front end problems with this truck. they also have MAJOR intake gasket problems with the vortec motor which can leak internally and with dex-cool antifreeze the oil doesnt turn milky so its REAL hard to diagnose if you dont drive the car yourself to see the little bit of AF that it looses. DEX-cool KILLS bearings and we see about a 25% motor fail rate after this problems occurs if not found right away. Hopefully the little old people didnt neglect this, have it fixed and now are gonna punt the truck. all that time sitting could really hurt those plastic wirh silicone insert gaskets.
on the ford they also have problems with the balljoints(as with ALL 4x4's) if it has a 4.6L thats a pretty good motor and we dont see lots of problems with these vehicles

JASONSAUTO
07-13-2008, 12:09 PM
and im not trying to scare you off of either just giving you things to look real CLOSE for

blueballs
07-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I've always had better luck with GM products than Ford
but IMO the Ford is the far better looking of the 2 vehicles
if it comes down to a toss up

StcChief
07-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Get the lower mileage one.

KCKID58
07-13-2008, 04:57 PM
buy with less mileage. Less of a chance the previous owner did any maintenance or didn't do any maintenance to damage the motor. it will last you longer by doing it