PDA

View Full Version : Misc What fairly common thing...

Simply Red
07-12-2008, 01:01 PM
do you fear that majority population does not, and feels it's ridiculous you do fear it.

Mine? :

Bodies of water, I'm not a good swimmer and hate to dive because I always get water up my nose. One would look at me and be fairly surprised because I look fairly fit and athletic, stylish and well, decent looking etc, etc...

Simply Red
07-12-2008, 01:02 PM
HURRY SOMEBODY!

REPLY - NOTHING

Baby Lee
07-12-2008, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't call it a fear, but I have this wierd thing with fresh fruit and veggies. I get on these healthy kick and buy a bunch, then I go further and just drink water and eat maybe a piece of fruit a day. After a few days, I have a fridge full of rotting fruit and veggies to deal with, and I hate dealing with rotting fruits and veggies.

Simply Red
07-12-2008, 01:08 PM
LMAOI wouldn't call it a fear, but I have this wierd thing with fresh fruit and veggies. I get on these healthy kick and buy a bunch, then I go further and just drink water and eat maybe a piece of fruit a day. After a few days, I have a fridge full of rotting fruit and veggies to deal with, and I hate dealing with rotting fruits and veggies.
:thumb:

Subterranean Alien
07-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Vegetables cause cancer.

Joie
07-12-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm scared of fire, heights and dentists. I'm working on the fear of dentists, though.

Mosbonian
07-12-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm scared of fire, heights and dentists. I'm working on the fear of dentists, though.

Scared of open heights and dentists...not the work they do, but the joy they have while doing their work.

And my own blood....not good at dealing with seeing myself bleed profusely.

mmaddog

Joie
07-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Scared of open heights and dentists...not the work they do, but the joy they have while doing their work.

mmaddog

I'm scared of everything about the dentist...don't even like walking into the office. But I have a very understanding dental office and because I've had some work done this summer we're working on my fear. I can now go back by myself, which is a huge accomplishment.

My own blood (and blood in general) doesn't really bother me. In fact, I was rather intrigued by how much blood was on my bandages after my knee surgery.

angelo
07-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Rodents-(I can not even watch them on television)
Heights- although I am working on it (I was a paratrooper)
I am also germaphobic

Ang

gblowfish
07-12-2008, 02:25 PM
I frickin HATE dentistry.
I'd rather be in a bar fight.
At least in a bar fight you can hit back.

jjchieffan
07-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I fear guys on motorcycles. I am afraid they will take all the hot chicks.

Dunit35
07-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Heights, going fast in something other then an automobile.

Water is a major concern for me. I don't like being in water that I can't see the bottom of.

I will never get deeper then four or five feet in an ocean.

patteeu
07-12-2008, 02:31 PM
My daughter is afraid of birds. It's kind of weird the way she will avert her eyes if we drive past a flock of geese eating in a field beside the road. This spring, a bird decided to frequent our back deck and repeatedly fly into our window. It still happens a couple of times a week. At first it terrified her, but she's gotten a little more used to it now and can shut it out of her mind now.

I used to think she was just being dramatic the way a young teenaged girl might be, but she's convinced me that it is a real phobia.

KCUnited
07-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Cops

88TG88
07-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Whats with the dentist fear ? Sure its extremely boring, but all they do is clean your plaque. They're not gonna touch you while you're under.

Rain Man
07-12-2008, 02:53 PM
I too fear bodies of water. I never learned how to swim, and it doesn't really matter anyway if you go into the water when a giant man-eating fish is lurking 15 feet below the surface.

I also have a much stronger than average fear of food poisoning. I religiously check expiration dates, and if that date is hitting, the food is gone. My wife will sniff stuff and say, "It's still good", or she'll tell me as I'm pouring the milk down the drain that she just drank some ten minutes earlier, and it's still good. Mine has a legit cause, though, as I lost a year of college due to a bad case of food poisoning that caused me to miss the first couple of weeks in the first semester of my junior year. I had to drop several courses, and in my curriculum that meant that I lost a year since I got out of sync with prerequisites. The last thing I ate before it hit was a Mars candy bar, and even though it had nothing to do with the illness, I still stay away from Mars bars.

Joie
07-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Whats with the dentist fear ? Sure its extremely boring, but all they do is clean your plaque. They're not gonna touch you while you're under.

When I was a little girl a dentist slapped me across the face. A little over a year later another dentist pulled four teeth that did not need to be pulled.

manchambo
07-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm not afraid of water--I was on swim team through high school and am a very good swimmer. But I am irrationally afraid of sharks. I can swim in the ocean but I tend to get nervous. When I was a kid, I would even get scared of sharks in the swimming pool. I remember hating to swim in the lane next to the deep end, because I would get these mental images of a shark coming out and grabbing me.

blueballs
07-12-2008, 03:11 PM
that I'm the -unknown to me
central character of a reality based program
I just hope it's atleast not on PBS

Baby Lee
07-12-2008, 03:14 PM
The antithesis of this thread, I'm fascinated by things that people are generally scared of. Heights, speed, G-forces. Any time I'm high up, I have this urge to get as close to the edge as possible and glean a high off the danger. When I was 5 or 6, I was finally tall enough to ride the Schussboomer at Worlds of Fun. I hauled my dad on 30+ consecutive rides, laughing like a loon every time I exited and sprinted up the entrance walk. The only thing that captures my imagination and lust more than the thought of a top fuel or Formula 1 drive is the thought of a shuttle launch. I could never join the service, because the only thing I wanted to do was fly the fighter jets, and the thought of just servicing one, or fueling it, or [God forbid] being a cook or grunt was too much to bear.

Friendo
07-12-2008, 03:22 PM
My daughter is afraid of birds. It's kind of weird the way she will avert her eyes if we drive past a flock of geese eating in a field beside the road. This spring, a bird decided to frequent our back deck and repeatedly fly into our window. It still happens a couple of times a week. At first it terrified her, but she's gotten a little more used to it now and can shut it out of her mind now.

I used to think she was just being dramatic the way a young teenaged girl might be, but she's convinced me that it is a real phobia.

it's real--my mother-in-law has it too. it's funny (or not) how many of these fears tend to manifest to the fearful---kinda like when my wife gets around cats, they tend to seek her out.

mine is driving over bridges--there used to be a real booger in Charleston that I literally had to pull over to let my wife drive.

Bearcat
07-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I can't really think of anything that I'm afraid of that the majority of people would find ridiculous. I was terrified of heights as a kid, and even though I'm over it there are still times when I get a little nervous... but it's nothing that keeps me from enjoying roller coasters or flying or whatever.

The antithesis of this thread, I'm fascinated by things that people are generally scared of. Heights, speed, G-forces. Any time I'm high up, I have this urge to get as close to the edge as possible and glean a high off the danger. When I was 5 or 6, I was finally tall enough to ride the Schussboomer at Worlds of Fun. I hauled my dad on 30+ consecutive rides, laughing like a loon every time I exited and sprinted up the entrance walk. The only thing that captures my imagination and lust more than the thought of a top fuel or Formula 1 drive is the thought of a shuttle launch. I could never join the service, because the only thing I wanted to do was fly the fighter jets, and the thought of just servicing one, or fueling it, or [God forbid] being a cook or grunt was too much to bear.

Have you ever been to Cedar Point? I went on the Top Thrill Dragster a couple of weeks ago, and... wow. I'll be going back soon.

blueballs
07-12-2008, 04:00 PM
speaking of roller coasters

Former Bengals LB Odell Thurman is being sought by Sandusky, Ohio police on a felony assault charge.

Thurman, who is currently serving an indefinite suspension from the NFL, allegedly punched a man in the face and broke his jaw at Kalahari Waterpark on May 27. Police say the two were arguing about a place in line. Thurman, 25, won't be getting another shot in the league anytime soon.

AZORChiefFan
07-12-2008, 04:08 PM
I remember in 3rd grade (1979/80) my teacher asked us what we were afraid of.
When my turn came to respond I said "Flying in a DC 10" which I thought was rather funny since there was a series of crashes involving DC 10's and it was a current topic and I was a freakin 3rd grader. Teacher did not think it was so funny. Bitch hated me.

milkman
07-12-2008, 04:15 PM
I fear I'll wake up one morning and red will have started a completely relevant thread.

Skip Towne
07-12-2008, 04:19 PM
I fear I'll wake up one morning and red will have started a completely relevant thread.

Nah, that couldn't happen.

88TG88
07-12-2008, 04:42 PM
When I was a little girl a dentist slapped me across the face. A little over a year later another dentist pulled four teeth that did not need to be pulled.

seriously ?

Joie
07-12-2008, 04:44 PM
seriously ?

Unfortunately, yes.

88TG88
07-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Unfortunately, yes.

Why did he slap you ? Did you bite his hand or something ???

eazyb81
07-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure if it fits in the category of "afraid", but I'm an extremely picky eater, probably more picky than anyone you've met, and thus I am scared/grossed out by the thought of eating things that most people enjoy.

Thanks in large part to my fiancee, I'm beginning to branch out and try new things that I normally would not have eaten, but I still have some very odd food fears and am scared to death of a time when I may have to eat some nasty crap at a formal event where everyone is watching me.

EDIT: I'm also scared of rodents like raccoons or possums, they are freaky!

Joie
07-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Why did he slap you ? Did you bite his hand or something ???

I was a very shy child, and was crying because I wanted my mom to go back with me (dentist was a stranger). As soon as he shut the door so mom couldn't see he slapped me.

Simply Red
07-12-2008, 08:35 PM

Yeah, I know, my excuse is, I really enjoy getting to know people. Sometimes it comes across as irelevant.

KcMizzou
07-12-2008, 08:40 PM
I grew up going to the lake... driving grandpa's boat at like 8 years old. I love it.

I dated a girl who was terrified of the water. Wouldn't swim.. and it took 30 minutes to get her on a boat. She was nervous as a cat the whole time. Clawing the crap out of my arm with every wave.

Teach your kids to enjoy lakes, waverunners, fishing, etc.... They miss out on a hell of a lot of summer fun otherwise.

KcMizzou
07-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I know, my excuse is, I really enjoy getting to know people. Sometimes it comes across as irelevant.I wouldn't sweat it, Red. Silly threads are fun. Some people are too uptight.

Buehler445
07-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your bastard dentist joie. That's too bad. You should go find him and crack him with a bat. I never enjoyed the dentist, but it's a lot better now. Apparently my denist as a kid was rough as shit and a penis. Going to the dentist doesn't hurt anymore.

As far as shit I am afraid of, would probably be financial ruin. Fixed costs, in my mind, are terribly high, and I'm always wound too tight fearing the improbable effects of bad financial decisions. It's pretty unjustified.

Joie
07-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Sorry to hear about your bastard dentist joie. That's too bad. You should go find him and crack him with a bat. I never enjoyed the dentist, but it's a lot better now. Apparently my denist as a kid was rough as shit and a penis. Going to the dentist doesn't hurt anymore.

As far as shit I am afraid of, would probably be financial ruin. Fixed costs, in my mind, are terribly high, and I'm always wound too tight fearing the improbable effects of bad financial decisions. It's pretty unjustified.

Thank you.

I'm working on the fear. That was 24 years ago, and I have no idea what his name is so I doubt I could find him to crack him with a bat. But, it is a nice thought.

TrickyNicky
07-12-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm afraid of horses. I went as a kid on a horseback ride in CO with my family and I was really scared and it spooked the horse to where he just took off with me on him. Scared the piss out of me and to this day I will steer clear of them.

Jewish Rabbi
07-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Cops

At least your cops don't rape people...

<a href="http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080607/NEWS/806070342">Link</a>

Jewish Rabbi
07-13-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm scared of the unknown...I don't know if that makes sense to anyone at all, but I can't really describe it

Buehler445
07-13-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm scared of the unknown...I don't know if that makes sense to anyone at all, but I can't really describe it

Yep on board with that one.

milkman
07-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I know, my excuse is, I really enjoy getting to know people. Sometimes it comes across as irelevant.

Just flipping you some shit.

Simply Red
07-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Just flipping you some shit.

I know. :)

Frazod
07-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Possums. Hate 'em. I don't remember it, but one must have scared the crap out of me when I was a little kid. Vile, beady-eyed things. I have always loathed them. It used to be fear, but at some point I transformed my fear into the overpowering desire to kill the goddamn things with anything handy if I am able to do so (gun, stick, table leg, car, whatever).

I can't remember how many of them I've greased over the years, but let's just say that if possums had post offices, my face would certainly be on wanted posters.

chasedude
07-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Touching the handle to the door to a restroom is a phobia I have. I've seen too many people shit and piss in there and not wash their hands, Disgusting!

That's why I like bathrooms that give you the option for paper towels to wipe your hands. After you dry your hands you can use the towel to open the door without any creepy crawly's jumping across to my nice sanitized hands.

As for the restrooms with only that hand-blower, Booo!! I have to use my shirt to grab onto the handle to let myself out. Or even the door with no handle, simple push yourself out, That's the bathroom for me.

I know I'm a freak :P

Fish
07-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Emery boards....

I have a debilitating fear of emery boards. If I see or worse hear one being used, my anxiety spikes instantly. My mouth goes dry, and I start looking for exits. Embarrassingly, I've been known to plug my ears and run from the room when some woman whips one out and starts grinding away.

I have no idea why. I don't have any other fears really. Heights, water, creepy crawlies, darkness, flying, none of them bother me at all.

Redrum_69
07-14-2008, 10:22 AM

uh...sounds like a lawsuit to me

Redrum_69
07-14-2008, 10:23 AM
I fear only one thing..

Simply Red's mom

RedNeckRaider
07-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Not really a fear but I can not stand the feel of cotton balls. When I open a bottle of asprin I find something to remove that crap.

Redrum_69
07-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Not really a fear but I can not stand the feel of cotton balls. When I open a bottle of asprin I find something to remove that crap.

what about Q-Tips?

Amnorix
07-14-2008, 11:48 AM

mmaddog

While I"m generally queasy about needles and such, the sight of my own blood generally disturbs me less than the sight of other people's blood, oddly.

I've had a weird phobia since I was a kid about a needle or other random sharp object going into my eye. I can't fathom what the cause of this weird concern of mine is, but there it is.

I'm not particularly good with heights, etc., but nothing all that unusual. The eye thing is just weird.

Amnorix
07-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm not afraid of water--I was on swim team through high school and am a very good swimmer. But I am irrationally afraid of sharks. I can swim in the ocean but I tend to get nervous. When I was a kid, I would even get scared of sharks in the swimming pool. I remember hating to swim in the lane next to the deep end, because I would get these mental images of a shark coming out and grabbing me.

We're members of the Jaws generation. I also was scared of sharks even in a swimming pool at random times.

Chances of dying from a shark are less than being hit by lightning and many other ridiculously improbable events. I read just yesterday that here in Massachusetts there have been 4 recorded shark attacks on swimmers since ...... wait for it....

1670!

tooge
07-14-2008, 11:54 AM

mmaddog

Good to know you are all so scared of me, sheesh. I dont really dig flying much.

tooge
07-14-2008, 11:55 AM
uh...sounds like a lawsuit to me

Did you wake up from the laying on your stomach with your pants unbuttoned? That explains alot.

Rain Man
07-14-2008, 11:59 AM
We're members of the Jaws generation. I also was scared of sharks even in a swimming pool at random times.

Chances of dying from a shark are less than being hit by lightning and many other ridiculously improbable events. I read just yesterday that here in Massachusetts there have been 4 recorded shark attacks on swimmers since ...... wait for it....

1670!

Assuming that all attacks aren't kills, it's quite possible that Massachusetts senators have actually killed more people in water than Massachusetts sharks.

RedNeckRaider
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Assuming that all attacks aren't kills, it's quite possible that Massachusetts senators have actually killed more people in water than Massachusetts sharks.
LMAO

Jilly
07-14-2008, 01:52 PM
clowns and parking garages

Demonpenz
07-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Needles

Baby Lee
07-14-2008, 03:10 PM
While I"m generally queasy about needles and such, the sight of my own blood generally disturbs me less than the sight of other people's blood, oddly.
I have absolutely no 'fear' attached to it, but I have a heck of a case of whatever that instinctual response is to the sight of blood, so far as I can tell only my own. Or perhaps I at one time in my life had ridiculously low blood pressure. Two instances within a year of each other in HS. First I got a cut under my eye, I stopped in a QuickTrip to get into the bathroom and clean it up, halfway to the bathroom I passed out and took a row of snack cakes with me. Then, when working at Hardees, I sliced my finger and while I was bandaging it up I started sweating like I was in a sauna and nearly threw up. I stress, there was no conscious fear or revulsion, . . . anything, I was as calm as could be, but my autonomous nervous system was going to hell.

Fish
07-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Funny blood story.....

I don't have any problems at the sight of blood. Neither mine, nor someone else's.

I went to Emporia State for a couple years back in the day. While there, I worked at Bluestem Farm and Ranch Supply. A lot of my work consisted of loading up posts and wire, and other heavy crap into our customer's vehicles. Well I was working away one day, loading up about 10 bails of barb wire for this old timer. In case you're not familiar, barb wire comes in bundled rolls that weigh about 80lbs a piece. I had loaded up about half of them into the back of the pickup, when the old timer says "Now don't you go bleedin on my new wire". I look down and see blood running down my hand pretty good. I'd evidently caught my elbow on a bail when loading. I finished the last few, and headed inside, leaving a blood trail the whole way. I found my boss, and told him I needed a few stitches. He asked what I did, so I lifted my sleeve and showed him my elbow. I had a nice gash about 2.5" long on my elbow, not very deep but looked nasty because the skin was stretched at the elbow making it look worse than it was. He proceeded to go white and pass out right there, bonking his head on the way down.

We both ended up going to the hospital for stitches....

Demonpenz
07-14-2008, 03:33 PM
death scares me and it is something we all have in commen

acesn8s
07-14-2008, 03:34 PM
I fear my ex-wife will in fact do whatever it takes to get under my skin. Even if ruins my kids lives.

RJ
07-14-2008, 04:28 PM
I fear my ex-wife will in fact do whatever it takes to get under my skin. Even if ruins my kids lives.

I don't think that's an unreasonable or unusual fear.

Simply Red
07-14-2008, 04:36 PM

me either.

Rausch
07-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Needles, roaches, and like Baby Lee the blood thing.

And I think the blood/roaches thing is more revulsion than fear. If I see a roach I'm not sleeping there. I'll leave or stay up all night to kill the damned things.

Pablo
07-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Spiders. But I assume that's a fairly normal fear. Those nasty f*ckers are the product of Satan. F*cking disgusting, creepy crawly bastards. God I hate spiders.

Especially big suckers, like garden spiders.

Rain Man
07-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Oh. Related to the blood thing, I have a disproportionate fear of scraping one's skin on rough concrete. When I hear about a kid falling and scraping his knees on a sidewalk, or a motorist getting a road rash, it really gives me the willies. In fact, there are times when I'll see a baby crawling on a rough sidewalk and I practically have to leave. I just think about skin being scraped across that rough surface, rending and tearing with pieces curling up around the cuts, and then repeating it over and over on soft, sensitive skin, and I can't stand it.

Count Zarth
07-14-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm afraid of bees. I run like hell when I see a bee.

kstater
07-14-2008, 07:16 PM

ROFL

acesn8s
07-14-2008, 09:13 PM

me either.

Wow! It's like you know!:eek:

I Knew she got around but I was hoping that she didn't get around to those that I conversate with.:crybaby:

Simply Red
07-14-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm afraid of bees. I run like hell when I see a bee.

ROFL

KcMizzou
07-14-2008, 10:09 PM
The only think I can think of, honestly... is cockroaches. I know that can't bite, but to me they represent filth and disease. If there's a spider on me, I'll brush it off. A bee? Brush it off more quickly, and keep an eye on the little bugger.

A roach'd make me dance around like a little girl. Just seeing one creeps me out.

Mizzou_8541
07-14-2008, 10:09 PM
A friend of mine is afraid of cotton. She can't look at it, touch it or think about cotton rubbing against cotton. Cotton balls and q-tips are the worst for her. Like she FLIPS out when cotton is around. It was quite frightening the first time I witnessed her near cotton.

KcMizzou
07-14-2008, 10:11 PM
A friend of mine is afraid of cotton. She can't look at it, touch it or think about cotton rubbing against cotton. Cotton balls and q-tips are the worst for her. Like she FLIPS out when cotton is around. It was quite frightening the first time I witnessed her near cotton.That's as bad as Tyra Banks' irrational fear of dolphins. (thank you Talk Soup.)

Mizzou_8541
07-14-2008, 10:18 PM
That's as bad as Tyra Banks' irrational fear of dolphins. (thank you Talk Soup.)

I asked her what was so bad about it, and all she could come up with (between sobs) was that she couldn't stand how it felt on her skin. Seriously, it is almost debilitating.

and dolphins...?

blueballs
07-14-2008, 10:23 PM
that Boomer Grigsby will be a ProBowl STer for the Fins

KcMizzou
07-14-2008, 10:28 PM
I asked her what was so bad about it, and all she could come up with (between sobs) was that she couldn't stand how it felt on her skin. Seriously, it is almost debilitating.

and dolphins...?Who knows.

I do know that a real phobia can **** a person up. My grandma is that way with snakes. Can't even look at a picture of one. She used to be a police dispatcher... and one time one of the cops put a big nightcrawler on the her console, when she'd turned away. Poor woman caught a glance, thought it was a snake, and locked herself in an office crying.

I don't get it either, but I do believe it's real.

KcMizzou
07-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Oh... about Tyra and the dolphins... who knows what that silly broad is thinking. She probably made it up for a show. :p

Buehler445
07-14-2008, 11:00 PM
A lady I work with is deathly afraid of mice, and the other night, she woke up and one was BITING HER while she slept. I can't even imagine the noises that came out of her when she awoke.

mcan
07-15-2008, 02:41 AM
Here are a few of mine. I don't think I'd call any of them debilitating though, or even serious. These are all just things that give me that "Uh oh" feeling in my stomach.

1. Popping balloons.
Even if one is just being blown up really big and stretching a lot, it freaks me out. Having an over inflated balloon floating towards me makes me feal like someone is pointing a gun at my head. In fact, I think I have this fear with most loud, shrill, popping or banging sounds. But something about the "slapping" of that rubber as it pops makes popping balloons especially bothersome.

2. Heights.
Typical fear. As I grow older, I tend to not be too afraid for myself anymore, but more afriad of seeing other people up on something high. Especially if they are sitting on a ledge with their back to a long drop. I can't even look at them.

3. Weird looking bugs or animals.
If I can't tell what it is, I'm INSTANTLY afraid of it. Those exotic centipedes and milipedes that you find every once in awhile really freak me out. I was watching "Planet Earth" and when they showed all those bizarre creatures that evolved in isolation in caves (troglobites and stuff) I was only thinking about how scared I'd be if I ever ran into anything even remotely like that.

4. Introducing people or forgetting lyrics.
I'm terrible with names, and I often get so nervous about it that I'll forget names of people I've known for years. I hate it. Hate it. Hate it. As for forgetting lyrics, I have the same problem. But it's less embarrassing, since most people don't care. I just get self-conscious about it when somebody actually does call me out.

BucEyedPea
07-15-2008, 03:03 AM

I have a pretty cardinal that flies into my bathroom glass sliders every morning for several hours, but it's more annoying than anything.

Mine: I won't swim in water where I can see any fish. I was afraid of minnows swimming in the shallow water as a child. If I'm on a raft in the middle of a lake, and I see a small fish even... I holler for someone to get the boat out and take me in.

|Zach|
07-15-2008, 05:13 AM
I am really strange when it comes to blood and injuries.

If it is on a TV in a semi realistic manner (ie the show ER not some gore film) then it weirds me out and makes me squirm big time. Sometimes I have to cover my eyes like a little kid.

However, if something happens in real time at the moment I don't get any feelings of that nature if it happens to me or someone else. If you were cut and bleeding bad in front of me I could be the first one to move in to help you with no hesitation.

Really strange...

Braincase
07-15-2008, 05:39 AM
It's not a common thing, but I'm scared shitless about being buried alive.

Baby Lee
07-15-2008, 06:11 AM
It's not a common thing, but I'm scared shitless about being buried alive.

Pai Mei has a regimen to cure you of that.

patteeu
07-15-2008, 06:39 AM
I have a pretty cardinal that flies into my bathroom glass sliders every morning for several hours, but it's more annoying than anything.

What a coincidence. Ours is a cardinal too. I wonder if cardinals are just dumb. Maybe that's where cardinal fans get it from.

patteeu
07-15-2008, 06:45 AM
I thought of one for me. Seeing a kid (or really, anyone) choking. When my kids were little, every time they choked a little bit, I'd start worrying that they were choking for real and that some emergency action would be required. I'd swing my head around at the sound of it and tense up immediately. I still freak out a little bit when I see someone having a quasi-choking event.

It might stem from a time when I was a little kid and I had a scary episode with a really cheesy slice of pizza. When I swallowed, some of the cheese went down my throat and some of it didn't and I felt like I was choking on it. I had to pull the cheese out of my mouth with my fingers. I love cheesy pizza, but I'm always conscious of taking small bites and chewing well now.

MOhillbilly
07-15-2008, 06:57 AM
I dont like my eyeballs messed with.

kc rush
07-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Bats scare me, but I don't think thats uncommon.

I have a bit of a heights issue if I can't hold on to something. I've been on the tops of buildings and I am skiddish during the walk between the roof entry and the edge railing even though its solid footing. I can then look over the edge of the building (how ever many stories down) and be perfectly fine because I can hold on to that rail.

I have jumped out of an airplane though and was perfectly fine.

I am also freaky about bathroom germs, even in my own home bathroom. I don't like taking drinks (even with lids) into a restroom and I don't like setting anything on the floor (like a duffel bag). The idea that I might be bringing bathroom germs with me kind of makes me sick.

kc rush
07-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Emery boards....

I have a debilitating fear of emery boards. If I see or worse hear one being used, my anxiety spikes instantly. My mouth goes dry, and I start looking for exits. Embarrassingly, I've been known to plug my ears and run from the room when some woman whips one out and starts grinding away.

I have no idea why. I don't have any other fears really. Heights, water, creepy crawlies, darkness, flying, none of them bother me at all.

I don't have a fear, but the sound and feel of emery boards and popcicle sticks really bugs me.

ExtremeChief
07-15-2008, 08:56 AM
My fears are normal ones. Not terrified, but have an extreme dislike of flying. Am terrified of ****ing snakes. If there were snakes on the plane..... I'd be ****ed.

Rausch
07-15-2008, 09:04 AM
I'll also go with clowns.

They're creepy, emotionally dishonest, in your face ****ing people.

Braincase
07-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Pai Mei has a regimen to cure you of that.

I'm too much of a smartass, and I don't need either of my eyes plucked out.

Amnorix
07-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Touching the handle to the door to a restroom is a phobia I have. I've seen too many people shit and piss in there and not wash their hands, Disgusting!

That's why I like bathrooms that give you the option for paper towels to wipe your hands. After you dry your hands you can use the towel to open the door without any creepy crawly's jumping across to my nice sanitized hands.

As for the restrooms with only that hand-blower, Booo!! I have to use my shirt to grab onto the handle to let myself out. Or even the door with no handle, simple push yourself out, That's the bathroom for me.

I know I'm a freak :P

I'll grab the handle if there's no paper towls, but I agree with your second paragraph. And guys that just walk right by the sinks and out the door disgust me, and I'm always stunned how many suits I see doing it. :eek:

Rausch
07-15-2008, 09:43 AM
I'll grab the handle if there's no paper towls, but I agree with your second paragraph. And guys that just walk right by the sinks and out the door disgust me, and I'm always stunned how many suits I see doing it. :eek:

In public or at as a guest absolutely.

My house? Nein. I piss twice for every beer I drink and mein penis has yet to kill anyone.

Besides, most of you fuggers probably transfer more germs to your members than member's germs to other parts...

El Jefe
07-15-2008, 09:44 AM
death scares me and it is something we all have in commen

No, IMO only people who don't know where they are going when they die fear death. I know where I am going and I have no fear at all of death, I don't want to be tortured or anything like that, but death itself has no hold on me.
I hate having to open the bathroom door after you have washed your hands, I usually use a paper towel or wait until someone opens it. When getting a Big Gulp I never take the first cup, or the first lid, I try and find one that looks like it has been untouched by all those stank hands grabbing too many and infecting all of them.
Not a fear, but more of a bit of paranoia, I worry about making financial decisions then re-thinking them, and then wondering what will happen if the worst happens and I come to financial demise.

Chieficus
07-15-2008, 09:48 AM
With heights I'm kind of odd: I don't mind being up high (planes, roller coasters, etc.), I'll even cliff jump into a river (as long as someone goes first so I know how deep it is), rock climb, and have jumped the barrier at the Grand Canyon to go stand on the edge and look down. But I'll be darned if I'm going to get on a roof, I hate ladders, and I don't even like going into attics that don't have a solid floor to them (afraid I'll step off a board and fall through).

But here's one that unless I missed it I haven't seen mentioned yet: I'm a little creeped out by mirrors, especially if I'm in a place where I'm all alone. I'll still use them and everything, so it's not a deep paralyzing fear--but I tend to get a little creeped out at the idea that I'll look down to spit out the toothpaste, look back up and there will be something else besides me in the mirror. I especially don't like having mirrors in the room where I sleep. I think I saw one too many horror flicks as a kid or something.

Rausch
07-15-2008, 09:49 AM
No, IMO only people who don't know where they are going when they die fear death. I know where I am going and I have no fear at all of death...

I think there is a great deal of difference between believing in a God and understanding one.

I don't know the rules for elimination. Until you die you don't either.

We all hope we're right about religion and that if we're not our faith will be the river card to save us.

But honestly, we don't know that either...

Rausch
07-15-2008, 09:51 AM
With heights I'm kind of odd: I don't mind being up high (planes, roller coasters, etc.), I'll even cliff jump into a river (as long as someone goes first so I know how deep it is), rock climb, and have jumped the barrier at the Grand Canyon to go stand on the edge and look down. But I'll be darned if I'm going to get on a roof, I hate ladders, and I don't even like going into attics that don't have a solid floor to them (afraid I'll step off a board and fall through).

But here's one that unless I missed it I haven't seen mentioned yet: I'm a little creeped out by mirrors, especially if I'm in a place where I'm all alone. I'll still use them and everything, so it's not a deep paralyzing fear--but I tend to get a little creeped out at the idea that I'll look down to spit out the toothpaste, look back up and there will be something else besides me in the mirror. I especially don't like having mirrors in the room where I sleep. I think I saw one too many horror flicks as a kid or something.

:hmmm:

http://catmime.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/el-profesor-freud.jpg

Simply Red
07-15-2008, 10:58 AM
I think there is a great deal of difference between believing in a God and understanding one.

I don't know the rules for elimination. Until you die you don't either.

We all hope we're right about religion and that if we're not our faith will be the river card to save us.

But honestly, we don't know that either...

It's all crystal clear now.

Thanks!

Easy Money
07-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Opening a can of biscuits. I have to have my wife open them and I will scamper off to the living room, out of sight. I am worried that I will have bought an extremely powerful batch and when I go to peel the label, it'll blow my hands off. Sometimes, to torture me, she'll follow me into said living room and stand above me while opening them while I cower in fear.

Jilly
07-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Lighting the grill as well... one of my friends in college lit her gas grill and it caught the hair on her arm on fire and her eyebrows...then later she went to open it up and it did the same thing.

Rausch
07-15-2008, 11:08 AM
It's all crystal clear now.

Thanks!

When it's free you know what it's worth.

At least you didn't pay 3 monthly installments of $29.99 for the same thing...

Rausch
07-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Lighting the grill as well... one of my friends in college lit her gas grill and it caught the hair on her arm on fire and her eyebrows...then later she went to open it up and it did the same thing.

I'd buy a grill and stay the **** away from her...

Baby Lee
07-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Opening a can of biscuits. I have to have my wife open them and I will scamper off to the living room, out of sight. I am worried that I will have bought an extremely powerful batch and when I go to peel the label, it'll blow my hands off. Sometimes, to torture me, she'll follow me into said living room and stand above me while opening them while I cower in fear.

My mom once bought biscuits and forgot about them when she put the grocery bags in the basement. Came back later in the day and it looked like a Salvador Dali painting.

Subterranean Alien
07-16-2008, 04:50 PM
George Orwellian society.

JuicesFlowing
07-17-2008, 02:23 AM
An overpopulation of Clowns and/or Mimes!!!

luv
07-17-2008, 08:40 AM
do you fear that majority population does not, and feels it's ridiculous you do fear it.

Mine? :

Bodies of water, I'm not a good swimmer and hate to dive because I always get water up my nose. One would look at me and be fairly surprised because I look fairly fit and athletic, stylish and well, decent looking etc, etc...

I would say that for myself as well. One other thing that pops into my mind is horror movies. The blood/guts slasher kind. They give me nightmares, which wake me up being all freaked out. Not a pleasant experience when you live alone.