PDA

View Full Version : KU Jayhawks - Success brings recruits

Lzen
07-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Kansas' 12-1 football season has led to added attention from high school prospects. BY RICK PLUMLEE

The Wichita Eagle

<!-- START /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --><!-- END /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --> Defensive back Prinz Kande had wrapped up an exceptional junior season for Trinity High in Euless, Texas, last fall and was considering Wisconsin for his college of choice.
Teammate Earnest Norman, a standout junior linebacker, was also starting to weigh his college options.
Kansas wasn't on the radar for either one. But then the Jayhawks capped a remarkable 2007 season by defeating Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl for a 12-1 record.
By late May, Norman gave KU an oral commitment. A few days later, Kande joined him in casting his football future with the Jayhawks.
"The bowl victory really impressed them," Trinity coach Steve Linewear said. "It was huge. An up-start, hard-working, fundamental program... that appeals to our boys."
Apparently KU's explosion onto the national football scene last season has caught the attention of more than a few of the top players in the 2009 recruiting class.
KU already has 13 known commitments for 2009, including six from Texas.
Three of those Texans are on the talent-rich state's top 100 list, as rated by Rivals.com. Kande is No. 35, Norman is No. 63 and defensive back Dexter Linton of Arlington's Bowie High is No. 48.
The Jayhawks also have received a commitment from the No. 3-rated player in Nebraska, defensive end Tyrone Sellers, and Oklahoma's No. 23, offensive lineman Gavin Howard.
KU is doing well locally, too. Three of Rivals' top-10 Kansans have committed to the Jayhawks -- No. 2 Darian Kelly, a defensive back from Girard; No. 5 Kevin Young, a defensive end from Olathe North; and No. 8 Riley Spencer, an offensive lineman from Hesston.
Not that the Jayhawks are landing everything in sight. LaCrosse athlete Marshall Musil, the Sunflower State's No. 4-ranked player, committed to Oklahoma last month.
But the doors have swung open a little wider and stayed open a little longer for KU as the result of last season's success.
"Certainly we have a chance to get our message across a little better," KU recruiting coordinator Brandon Blaney said. "We've always said if we can get them on campus, then we stand a pretty good chance to get them. The challenge has always been getting them on campus."
KU's success last season isn't all that Blaney has to sell. He and other KU recruiters make sure their prospects take a tour of the new $31 million practice facility that was completed this month.
"The Big 12 is one of the best conferences -- top to bottom -- for facilities," Blaney said. "Some of the other Big 12 schools have virtual palaces (for facilities). Now we can have our players in a palace instead of a tent."
Even the Texas kids notice.
KU has long recruited heavily in Texas, but particularly since Mark Mangino took over in 2002. Going into this fall, the Jayhawks have 30 Texans on their roster, plus former Memphis running back Jocques Crawford, who ran for nearly 2,000 yards last season at Cisco (Texas) Junior College.
"Kansas has this state's attention," Linewear said, "but a lot of schools come down here. Their stellar record and the big bowl win really caught some attention.
"But it wasn't just that. Our guys had an appreciation for where (KU) came from, that it was a long build for Coach Mangino. They're literate of what's going on. They're students of what's going on in college football. I was amazed how much they knew about Kansas' background."
Even a recent student of KU football knows the Jayhawks didn't win last season with roster full of four and five-star recruits. The Aqib Talibs, James McClintons, Derek Fines and about dozen other front-line players were largely unheralded coming out of high school.
But while KU has increasingly been able to bring in players with proven prep talent, Blaney insisted the Jayhawks still are looking for the Talibs, McClintons and Fines.
"We haven't changed the way we evaluate players," he said. "Over the years, we've made our evaluations based on what we see and what the coaches and families around those recruits give us in terms of clues about character, academic ability as well as athletic ability.
"We haven't deviated from that, nor will we. At the end of the day, it still comes down to finding (players) that are going to fit in your program."
Whatever the method, the pace to land commitments is accelerating.
With 13 commitments, KU is well ahead of the numbers that it once had not so long ago by mid-summer. But just in the Big 12, according to Rivals, Texas A&M already has 20 commitments, Texas 19 and Oklahoma 14.
And while KU's success has helped to drive up its numbers -- just as the lack of success has Iowa State sitting with one commitment -- Blaney isn't about to say the Jayhawks are ahead of the game for this year's recruiting.
"The speed at which recruiting is moving over the last four-five years is really increasing," he said. "There's so much information out there. Kids are making decisions faster -- for better or worse.
"And with the Internet, there are fewer and fewer hidden gems. Word spreads pretty quickly."
At the same time, Blaney isn't ready to toot any horns.
"At the end of the day, the perception of how good a recruiting class is on signing day has little to do with the output after they get here," Blaney said. "It's what they do on a daily basis when they do get on campus that's going to make a difference over the next four-five years."
Today's four-star recruit can become tomorrow's college bust. Or an unrecruited Marcus Henry can become a 1,000-yard receiver as a senior.
"All you can do is stick with the plan that has help us build this program," Blaney said. "Our success isn't going to change any of that."
Rick Plumlee covers University of Kansas sports. Reach him at 316-268-6278.

http://www.kansas.com/249/story/462051.html

ChiefsFire
07-13-2008, 07:55 PM
In before the haters.....

KCChiefsMan
07-13-2008, 07:57 PM
that's what I'm talking about!

Braincase
07-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Indeed. Mizzou will win some, but I wouldn't plan on beating KU with a great deal of consistency if I were a Tiger fan.

And I'm not...

Pablo
07-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Who'd Lew Perkins have to blow to get those recruits?/frazod

Reaper16
07-13-2008, 08:22 PM
KU's facility renovations are going to help a tremendous deal, too.

Deberg_1990
07-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Hopefully it helps bring attention to Heart Disease as well.

DJay23
07-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Hopefully it helps bring attention to Heart Disease as well.

What?!?! Mangino's fat? :rolleyes:

Braincase
07-13-2008, 08:54 PM
What?!?! Mangino's fat? :rolleyes:

Nah... Pinkel's wife is under that windshirt getting a snuggle.

StcChief
07-13-2008, 09:00 PM
STILL ON THE SIDE OF FAT AND GAYNESS

Ari Chi3fs
07-13-2008, 09:01 PM
woe is the foe of the Kaw

Frazod
07-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Who'd Lew Perkins have to blow to get those recruits?/frazod

LMAO

He'll be blowing them next year after you turds go 7-5.

SNR
07-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Hopefully it helps bring attention to Heart Disease as well.In all seriousness, Mangino looks good in that photo. He must have lost a few pounds. I could swear he was a lot fatter than that.

Pablo
07-13-2008, 10:14 PM
LMAO

He'll be blowing them next year after you turds go 7-5.You guys might win more than 10 games. But we all know what happens when you have to play OU.

Frazod
07-13-2008, 10:17 PM
You guys might win more than 10 games. But we all know what happens when you have to play OU.

Funny you should mention OU. You actually have to play them this year.

No backing into the BCS this year, ladies.

Ari ümlaüt
07-13-2008, 10:33 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c/Image_of_TX_OU_Red_River_Shootout_in_Cotton_Bowl_seen_from_fair_grounds_-_original.jpg/800px-Image_of_TX_OU_Red_River_Shootout_in_Cotton_Bowl_seen_from_fair_grounds_-_original.jpg

:-)

Frazod
07-13-2008, 10:35 PM
I see all the dickbags are playing with their fake logins tonight.

Pablo
07-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Oooohh..fancy, a carnival. They really went all out for you guys. But I guess you supplied the clowns free of charge, so that's a fair trade.

Frazod
07-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Oooohh..fancy, a carnival. They really went all out for you guys. But I guess you supplied the clowns free of charge, so that's a fair trade.

We beat the clowns on November 24. But thanks for playing.

Damn that one bullet you couldn't dodge.

Pablo
07-13-2008, 10:43 PM

Damn that one bullet you couldn't dodge.Yeah, but had we dodged that bullet, we almost assuredly would have lost to OU, as they are by far, the superior team in the Big 12, and ended up playing in the Cotton Bowl or some other lame shit-circus at 10 am on New Years Day.

Skip Towne
07-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah, but had we dodged that bullet, we almost assuredly would have lost to OU, as they are by far, the superior team in the Big 12, and ended up playing in the Cotton Bowl or some other lame shit-circus at 10 am on New Years Day.

Haha - shit circus

CrazyPhuD
07-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Damn that one bullet you couldn't dodge.

Nice but at least KU has national championships by someone other than the dance team in the last 40 years.

Frazod
07-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah, but had we dodged that bullet, we almost assuredly would have lost to OU, as they are by far, the superior team in the Big 12, and ended up playing in the Cotton Bowl or some other lame shit-circus at 10 am on New Years Day.

Sure was nice that instead Kansas got that free weekend off while the men were playing football. I always wondered - how did they spend that weekend - perhaps shopping for lacy undies with the Illini players?

Pablo
07-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Sure was nice that instead Kansas got that free weekend off while the men were playing football. I always wondered how did they spent that weekend - perhaps shopping for lacy undies with the Illini players?I only saw one manly team on the field in the Big 12 Championship. The one that dismantled MU..twice.

They might have spent that weekend shopping for appropriate attire for Miami. I'd imagine everyone picked up a pair of khakis, some nice button down shirts, fancy sunglasses, etc. It probably took a little while to fit Mangino, and custom tailor 8XL shirts and size 70 waist dress pants. It's a good thing they had all day to do that, so they could get home that night in time to watch OU punch the inside of Chase Daniel's guts out with their Soomer boomer, if ya know what I mean.

They knew they had an AD with hurricane force sucking power and they'd be heading somewhere nice and sunny to play their prime time game.

Skip Towne
07-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Nice but at least KU has national championships by someone other than the dance team in the last 40 years.

I choose not to acknowledge their dance team victories. I don't follow dance teams.

Frazod
07-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I only saw one manly team on the field in the Big 12 Championship. The one that dismantled MU..twice.

They might have spent that weekend shopping for appropriate attire for Miami. I'd imagine everyone picked up a pair of khakis, some nice button down shirts, fancy sunglasses, etc.

They knew they had an AD with hurricane force sucking power and they'd be heading somewhere nice and sunny to play their prime time game.

Fair enough - but if we got dismantled by OU twice, what does that say about a team we beat on a neutral site?

Frazod
07-13-2008, 11:15 PM

What was that in - soccer? Bowling? Softball? Oh wait, yeah, it was basketball. I think. Those secondary sports - I just can't keep them straight.

Dave Lane
07-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Fair enough - but if we got dismantled by OU twice, what does that say about a team we beat on a neutral site?

It says even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then

Dave

Pablo
07-13-2008, 11:17 PM
I choose not to acknowledge their dance team victories. I don't follow dance teams.Mizzou has a pretty solid dance team. Or I think that's what they call it in Columbia, "Roundball dancing" or something along those lines.

A whole lot of black fellas in shorts and jersey 'dancing' around on a big wooden floor.

Pablo
07-13-2008, 11:18 PM
What was that in - soccer? Bowling? Softball? Oh wait, yeah, it was basketball. I think. Those secondary sports - I just can't keep them straight.Yet you follow baseball avidly.

Frazod
07-13-2008, 11:19 PM

Dave

I think this pig was looking for an acorn, but all he found was a face full of east endzone.

Frazod
07-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Yet you follow baseball avidly.

The National Pastime. I don't believe anybody has ever called basketball that.

Pablo
07-13-2008, 11:21 PM
The National Pastime. I don't believe anybody has ever called basketball that.And assholes have called the Yankees and Cowboys, "America's Teams".

Frazod
07-13-2008, 11:21 PM
And assholes have called the Yankees and Cowboys, "America's Teams".

Did you really? :D

Pablo
07-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Did you really? :DNice.

Frazod
07-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Nice.

LMAO

Thanks. I thought you'd like that.

As much as I'd like to regurgitate this crap all night, I'm off to bed. Later.

Pablo
07-13-2008, 11:29 PM
LMAO

Thanks. I thought you'd like that.

As much as I'd like to regurgitate this crap all night, I'm off to bed. Later.Good call. I might pop in my Orange Bowl/NC DVD's for a bit and do the same. Somehow, NC's make me sleep better.

kcchiefsus
07-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Kansas recruiting is still not on par with Missouri. We have just as big of a draw in Texas. We don't have as many Texas players now but that is because the #1 most important thing in recruiting is keeping your own in state recruits. The only problem with Kansas is the in state recruits suck. So you have to stick with Texas since you can't pull many out of Missouri.

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2008, 06:07 AM
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2008

hmmm... nope, still not cracking the top-25.

Bearcat
07-14-2008, 07:03 AM
What was that in - soccer? Bowling? Softball? Oh wait, yeah, it was basketball. I think. Those secondary sports - I just can't keep them straight.

It's not that hard... just thnk of it as the other sport that sells-out football stadiums during the postseason.

You all are hilarious... let 'em have their greatest regular season victory evah. Haven't they been through enough?

Bearcat
07-14-2008, 07:06 AM

Well, yeah... :spock:

kepp
07-14-2008, 08:22 AM
KU's facility renovations are going to help a tremendous deal, too.

You talking about those Nebraska Furniture Mart recliners they're putting in the endzone?

kepp
07-14-2008, 08:27 AM

Dave

So THAT'S what he was digging for

Silock
07-14-2008, 08:34 AM

Here's the thing, though: Neither KU nor MU had to crack the top 25 to build good football teams, so it can only be good that they're getting even better players.

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Here's the thing, though: Neither KU nor MU had to crack the top 25 to build good football teams, so it can only be good that they're getting even better players.

Sure, if you're satisfied with 'good' football teams. Great teams are built with top recruits.

The national champions over the last 10 years have been: LSU, Florida, Texas, USC, OSU, Miami, Oklahoma, FSU and Tennessee.

All are consistently in the top-10 to top-15 in recruiting classes.

CoMoChief
07-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Indeed. Mizzou will win some, but I wouldn't plan on beating KU with a great deal of consistency if I were a Tiger fan.

And I'm not...

I do think MU will drop off a lot after this season. It all depends on how well Gabbert plays. Hopefully he gets some playing time this season when or if MU blows out a team and he plays in the 2nd half.

kepp
07-14-2008, 08:56 AM
I do think MU will drop off a lot after this season. It all depends on how well Gabbert plays. Hopefully he gets some playing time this season when or if MU blows out a team and he plays in the 2nd half.

True, but we have two other good QBs coming in as well. Hopefully we'll hit on at least one of them.

Bearcat
07-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Sure, if you're satisfied with 'good' football teams. Great teams are built with top recruits.

The national champions over the last 10 years have been: LSU, Florida, Texas, USC, OSU, Miami, Oklahoma, FSU and Tennessee.

Getting those recruits is a product of tradition, not recent success in January bowl games. If it was as simple as winning and losing, Notre Dame would have dropped out years ago.. and I don't have to look at the list to know they're on it, along with any team that first comes to mind when thinking of a conference.

The moral of the story: Baby steps. For those who have been paying attention, this hasn't been going on since September, as the piece of cardboard read.

Silock
07-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Great teams are built with top recruits.

Um, no shit? You have totally missed the point. You have to start somewhere, and if they can have success without those players, it can only help when they get better and better players. You'd have to be a total idiot to not see that they're both building toward trying to get those top, top recruits. Who wouldn't want those guys?

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Um, no shit? You have totally missed the point. You have to start somewhere, and if they can have success without those players, it can only help when they get better and better players. You'd have to be a total idiot to not see that they're both building toward trying to get those top, top recruits. Who wouldn't want those guys?

Good luck.

markk
07-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Getting those recruits is a product of tradition, not recent success in January bowl games.

what tradition?

Old Dog
07-14-2008, 09:41 AM
what tradition?

He's speaking of the tradition at places such as Oklahoma, Texas, Miami, USC, Notre Dame etc....

Kansas and/or Missouri would love to be able to consistently bring in recruits because of tradition.

They have got to start somewhere. Both are headed in the right direction.

Lzen
07-14-2008, 09:59 AM

Dude, are you serious? I'm just hoping to have consistent top 25 program right now. If you look at where we came from just a few years ago, you would understand what an amazing turnaround Mangino and staff have produced.

Silock
07-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Good luck.

It's not a matter of luck. It's a matter of time. And money.

Frazod
07-14-2008, 10:50 AM
It's not a matter of luck. It's a matter of time. And money. And a really easy schedule with no non-conference road games.

FYP

Bearcat
07-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Kansas and/or Missouri would love to be able to consistently bring in recruits because of tradition.

Yeah, I get the feeling recruiting at Notre Dame is someone pulling up to a high school in a black limo, rolling down the window, and telling the #2 player at his position "Notre Dame wants you, get in the car." It's like the mob, you don't say no.

And I know... atmosphere, rabid fans, former NFL coach, facilities, TV contracts, having a chance to lose to USC and Michigan every year, shooting up in the polls if you win a couple of games, and having the chance to go to a BCS game without needing to win a confe... oops, scratch that last one.

All of that easily makes up for the fact that you're playing football for the most overrated program of the past 10 years (well, alongside an OSU anyway); one that not only hasn't won a bowl game in their last 9 tries (and has an alltime losing bowl record), but has also gotten embarrassed numerous times.

So, yeah... for now we'll feed off the leftovers of the traditional teams, and hope there's enough parity to beat the big boys whenever we get our chance.

Hmm... that came off a lot more whiney than intended. I was going for more of a bitter hatred... eh.

CoMoChief
07-14-2008, 11:22 AM
OU and TX will still dominate Big12 recruiting for a long time, that's just the nature of the beast and the programs traditions etc and I don't think that will ever change. Expect NEB to bounce back as well. KU and MU must capitalize while their programs are hot, if not then both teams will come back down to earth, especially KU. MU needs to avoid from a huge dropoff if they are going to be competitive nationally like last year. If Dalton and maybe a WR steps up in this offense, I see no reason why MU can't be good for a long while.

Personally I don't think KU will win 8 games this season.

Bearcat
07-14-2008, 11:29 AM
FYP

Don't forget fixing the conference schedule so they didn't have to play Texas or OU, and fixing the outcome of the bowl selection. LMAO

Lzen
07-14-2008, 11:51 AM
OU and TX will still dominate Big12 recruiting for a long time, that's just the nature of the beast and the programs traditions etc and I don't think that will ever change. Expect NEB to bounce back as well. KU and MU must capitalize while their programs are hot, if not then both teams will come back down to earth, especially KU. MU needs to avoid from a huge dropoff if they are going to be competitive nationally like last year. If Dalton and maybe a WR steps up in this offense, I see no reason why MU can't be good for a long while.

Personally I don't think KU will win 8 games this season.

Who do will lose to this season?

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Who do will lose to this season?

Potential/likely losses are @USF, @OU, Texas, Mizzou.

Colorado will be tougher with Darrell Scott and Texas Tech isn't a sure-thing.

alanm
07-14-2008, 12:41 PM
The Jayhawks also have received a commitment from the No. 3-rated player in Nebraska, defensive end Tyrone SellersNegative, Sellers went to the football camp a few weeks ago but Nebraska has never offered him a scholarship. The Huskers were leaning on him to walk on.
#3 in the State??? Maybe #3 in McCook. ROFL

Lzen
07-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Negative, Sellers went to the football camp a few weeks ago but Nebraska has never offered him a scholarship. The Huskers were leaning on him to walk on.
#3 in the State??? Maybe #3 in McCook. ROFL

Ummm...yeah. I don't think you know what you're talking about. According to Rivals, he is the #27 ranked weakside DE in the country. He is a 3 star recruit.

DJay23
07-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Ummm...yeah. I don't think you know what you're talking about. According to Rivals, he is the #27 ranked weakside DE in the country. He is a 3 star recruit.

He's doing the same thing we'd do if a talented hoopster from say Witchita picked Nebraska instead of KU. We'd say, "Bah, he wasn't that good anyway."

Skip Towne
07-14-2008, 05:29 PM
He's doing the same thing we'd do if a talented hoopster from say Witchita picked Nebraska instead of KU. We'd say, "Bah, he wasn't that good anyway."

Could that actually happen? A talented Kansas hoopster picking Nebraska over KU?

Ari Chi3fs
07-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Could that actually happen? A talented Kansas hoopster picking Nebraska over KU?

You tell teh funnay stories, Mr. Towne.

DJay23
07-14-2008, 05:33 PM

I suppose anything is possible. Maybe Brandon Rush boned his girlfriend?

alanm
07-14-2008, 08:53 PM
That may very well be. All I'm saying is that he doesn't fit into Nebraska's plans unless he wants to walk on.

Besides Husker fans aren't buying hyped up players from Rivals or Scout after being burnt from the last Coach. ;)

alanm
07-14-2008, 09:10 PM
McCook's Sellers chooses Kansas

<script language="JavaScript"> <!-- function show_share() { jQuery("#share").toggle(); } --> </script> By The Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2008 - 08:03:33 pm CDT
Tyrone Sellers, a 6-foot-4, 220-pound defensive end and tight end from McCook, has given his oral commitment to Kansas.

“Kansas did a good job of recruiting him,” McCook football coach Jeff Gross said, “and he fell in love with their campus.”

Sellers had offers from Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa, Wake Forest, Stanford and Wyoming, but NOT from Nebraska.

(http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2008/07/02/huskerextra/football/doc486c190c0d230041420618.txt?orss=1#image)

(http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2008/07/02/huskerextra/football/doc486c190c0d230041420618.txt?orss=1#image)
McCook's Tyrone Sellers runs for a touchdown past Crete's Micah Marvin in the fourth quarter of the Class B Championship at Memorial Stadium Saturday, Nov. 17, 2007. John Levorson (12) and Cory Gaston (6) are also pictured. (LJS File)

http://www.journalstar.com/content/articles/2008/07/02/huskerextra/football/doc486c190c0d230041420618.jpg McCook's Tyrone Sellers runs for a touchdown past Crete's Micah Marvin in the fourth quarter of the Class B Championship at Memorial Stadium Saturday, Nov. 17, 2007. John Levorson (12) and Cory Gaston (6) are also pictured. (LJS File)
http://www.journalstar.com/resources/images/story/close.png (http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2008/07/02/huskerextra/football/doc486c190c0d230041420618.txt?orss=1#cancel)
“They said at their camp they felt that they couldn’t offer him at this point,” Gross said of Nebraska’s coaches, “that they would want to evaluate him in the fall further.”

That, Gross said, didn’t factor into Sellers’ decision as much as the fact Sellers was simply sold on Kansas.

“When he came home from (their camp), he really felt like that was the place he wanted to be,” Gross said. “They really sold him on the fact they wanted him.

“It was too good to pass up for him.”

Gross said Nebraska coaches felt Sellers was “a little light” to play defensive end in their scheme. Some schools, Gross said, wanted Sellers as an outside linebacker; K-State offered him as a tight end.

Kansas recruited Sellers as a defensive end.

“He’s a little bit light in the shorts right now, and we’ve all known that,” Gross said. “So many colleges, they have a chart, and if you don’t fit that chart, then they’re not going to recruit you.”

Sellers is the third McCook football player in the last four years to earn a scholarship to a Big 12 Conference school. He joins sophomore kicker Josh Cherry and junior wide receiver Tony Purvis, both at Kansas State.

— Brian Rosenthal
http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2008/07/02/huskerextra/football/doc486c190c0d230041420618.txt?orss=1

Lzen
07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Ok, fine. NU had not offered him yet. But alan, you made it sound as if Sellers was nothing. Not even close to reality. The whole point of this is that if KU can have success with 2 star recruits, imagine what they should be able to do with 3 and 4 star recruits.

little jacob
07-14-2008, 09:21 PM
The whole point of this is that if KU can have success with 2 star recruits, imagine what they should be able to do with 3 and 4 star recruits.

that doesn't really make sense.

alanm
07-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Ok, fine. NU had not offered him yet. But alan, you made it sound as if Sellers was nothing. Not even close to reality. The whole point of this is that if KU can have success with 2 star recruits, imagine what they should be able to do with 3 and 4 star recruits.
No, what I was contesting was that Rivals sold him as the 3rd best recruit in Nebraska. I'd submit that there is probably 10-12 DE's in Omaha and Lincoln alone who are probably better than this kid.
I'm not buying into the Rivals and Scout bullshit anymore.
Look what it did for Callahan. :rolleyes:

Lzen
07-14-2008, 10:10 PM
that doesn't really make sense.

Seriously? You don't understand?

Lzen
07-14-2008, 10:11 PM
No, what I was contesting was that Rivals sold him as the 3rd best recruit in Nebraska. I'd submit that there is probably 10-12 DE's in Omaha and Lincoln alone who are probably better than this kid.

Heh, this is Callahan we're talking about. Look at the shit he did to the Raiders. It took him over half way through the season last year to realize that he had been starting the wrong guy at QB.

HolyHandgernade
07-16-2008, 05:13 PM

Man, that sounds like a fan in denial. You're top rush DE's are from Texas and California. There's 10-12 better than this guy, in Omaha/Lincoln alone, yet you go out of state because none are up to the current Cornhusker standard? Is that why SI ran this article about how it has to start with Nebraska guys:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/04/15/nebraska0421/index.html

We both know programs recruit guys to fit their style, and styles don't necessarily conform to a "Rivals/Scout stanard". Perhaps Mangino is looking over the Big 12 landscape and he sees that defensives are going to have to be built to defend the spread attack more than a traditional style and wants players who are more comfortable "in space"? Maybe he needs certain packages this guy would be great in. Who knows? But it seems awfully presumptuous to say there are 10-12 better at his position in that small area alone. Of course, who should care what you "submit", I really doubt you are out scouting the Nebraska H.S. football games in your spare time to have something substantial to "submit". But, hey, neither am I, but I'm not submitting anything, I have to go by other guys who do that leg work. You wouldn't happen to have a list of those 10-12 guys and why they are better, would you?

Once again, commentary from a fan of a school that lives in a talent rich state. As if you put the Gators in Idaho they would still attract top 10-15 recruiting classes! The top two factors in a recruits decision:

1. Playing time
2. Location

After that, coaches, tradition, facitities, etc., but the top two are almost always p.t. and location. Playing time is an arbitrary assessment, but location is as solid as it is in real estate. Players like to play close to family, friends, and the team they grew up cheering for. Florida, Texas, and USC will always have that advantage and they will always crowd out other school's reaches for the top 10-15. Schools like Kansas have to try and recruit nationally, try and sell playing time to the mid level recruits. Hence, we will probably never have consistant appearances in the top 25, let alone the top 10. But, the landscape is changing with the roster limitations, I wouldn't be suprised to see some schools with top 40 classes start to make a charge for a title or two. Not saying it will be KU, not saying it won't.

It really puzzles me sometimes upon what tradition you speak so mightily from? :p

-HH