PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Generation Kill

Sully
07-14-2008, 11:10 AM
DVRed it last night. Watching it now.

Its excellent. Reminds me, in a weird way, of Band of Brothers.

Kraus
07-14-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm not at my apartment which has HBO....but I wanted to see this. Will they reair the first episode?

Sully
07-14-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm sure they will. At the very least I can't imagine it not being On Demand.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
I agree...very good show IMO

Deberg_1990
07-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Will they reair the first episode?

Only about 3000 times. This is HBO remember?

Hopefully you will be able to squeeze in a showing sometime.

NewChief
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
The book is awesome.

Frazod
07-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Shit, I forgot about this. I'll have to watch it this week (I assume it'll be on five or six times before the next one).

Nzoner
07-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm going to DVR the whole series then sit down for a power watch.

Ultra Peanut
07-15-2008, 02:24 PM
David Simon is a genius, so uh... yeah, I think I'll watch.

Swanman
07-15-2008, 02:28 PM
I was out of town and forgot to DVR the first episode, so I'll catch it later this week. After The Wire, David Simon could do a show about just about anything I will enthusiastically tune in.

HC_Chief
07-15-2008, 03:12 PM
It's excellent so far. I find the "Band of Brothers" comparison to be accurate.... with the exception that "Generation Kill"'s dialogue is a bit, err, saltier than BoB's. ;)

Think BoB crossed w/ Deadwood.

Swanman
07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
It's excellent so far. I find the "Band of Brothers" comparison to be accurate.... with the exception that "Generation Kill"'s dialogue is a bit, err, saltier than BoB's. ;)

Think BoB crossed w/ Deadwood.

Dick Winters, after he read the scripts for Band of Brothers, basically told off Tom Hanks because of the language. As a result, the language was toned down a bit once filming began.

Kraus
07-17-2008, 08:00 PM
The first episode is about the be re-aired now.

J Diddy
08-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Just watching this and I guess the mouthy one is from nevada, mo

said he's on the nevada mo walmarts wall of heroes

Bowser
08-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Just getting caught up on this show. It's pretty addicting, actually. Good mix of raunchy humor and grisly death. And I've already gotten to the point where I want to punch the Sergeant Major.

J Diddy
08-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Just getting caught up on this show. It's pretty addicting, actually. Good mix of raunchy humor and grisly death. And I've already gotten to the point where I want to punch the Sergeant Major.

I love it without a doubt

seems kinda like a modern day band of brothers
but I do have a hard time putting names to the faces wondering if it is intentional or I'm retarded

KevB
08-11-2008, 09:12 PM
I love it without a doubt

seems kinda like a modern day band of brothers
but I do have a hard time putting names to the faces wondering if it is intentional or I'm retarded

The latter. :D

J Diddy
08-11-2008, 09:20 PM
The latter. :D

lol

my wife has always wondered why I like my cars short and yellow

Swanman
08-12-2008, 07:21 AM
That scene where the medic told Encino Man that he was incompetent was just amazing. Encino Man kept prodding him to speak freely, and oh boy, did he.

Seems like the show so far is celebrating the grunts in the field actually doing the hard work while really exposing the command as incompetent medal-chasing boobs. Now I see why this book caused so much of a stir when it came out.

J Diddy
08-12-2008, 10:53 AM
That scene where the medic told Encino Man that he was incompetent was just amazing. Encino Man kept prodding him to speak freely, and oh boy, did he.

Seems like the show so far is celebrating the grunts in the field actually doing the hard work while really exposing the command as incompetent medal-chasing boobs. Now I see why this book caused so much of a stir when it came out.

I don't see it so much as that. I think most of them are respected and loved.

I can only see one as a dumb shit.

Bowser
08-12-2008, 10:58 AM

I don't know. Godfather looks like he's doing anything and everything he can think of to make a name for himself and get noticed by Chaos.

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2008, 11:08 AM
This show is AMAZING. Just thinking about what to say about it makes me feel like I've ingested a Person-load of Rippers!

For those who are interested, here's the series of Rolling Stone articles that led to the book. It's amazing how closely Simon & Burns followed Evan Wright's experiences.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/22026717/the_stories_behind_generation_kill

The first article goes through episode three or thereabouts, and the rest I haven't read yet so as to preserve mine virgin, unspoiled eyes:

Also, someone on another forum shared two mind-boggling anecdotes from the book regarding episode four:

The Captain America bitch-out was awesome, but they actually cut off half the scene. The day after Trombley shoots those herders, a few of the soldiers come to the conclusion that Trombley might have been spooked into firing, because he heard Captain America shooting off his AK-47 and Trombley thought it was coming from the herders. This is what prompts Sgt. Kocher to go up to Cap. America and give the "I will **** you up" line. In response, Cap. America says that's not the case, and it was was Corporal Crosby who fired the AK-47. Crosby hears this and goes apeshit, because he's never held an AK-47 let alone fire one. He goes up to Captain America, while he is surrounded by other soldiers, and demands a Request Mast, which is a process where Marines can answer against formal charges laid against them. When Cap asks why he wants one, Crosby says something to the effect of "You're going around telling everyone I shot the AK-47, and that's bullshit, because you're the one shooting that gun off". Crosby going up to Cap. America and calling him out in front of other soldiers gives Cap two options: he can give Crosby the Request Mast. But if he does that, Crosby can produce a dozen people who will all testify he never shot the AK, that it was Cap. This would jam Cap up, for shooting off the AK and causing the incident, and for spreading rumors about Crosby. So Captain America chooses the second option, he backs down Crosby in front of his men. After he, a Captain, got bitched out in public by a lowly corporal, whatever was left of his authority caught cold and died. From that day on, anytime Cap. America issued an order, the men checked with Sgt. Kocher first. If he didn't like the order, they didn't do it.

Secondly, the shoot-out scene with the family: they actually toned it way the **** down from the book version. After they pull the two men out of the car, Espera sees the girl in the back. Thinking she was asleep or in shock, (because he does not see any bullet wounds), he goes to scoop her up and pull her out of the car, only to discover that the back of her head was blown out, and her brains actually drop out of her head and onto the pavement, where he slips on them and falls. He later says he has nightmares about that night to this day. Jesus Christ.

J Diddy
08-12-2008, 11:16 AM
I don't know. Godfather looks like he's doing anything and everything he can think of to make a name for himself and get noticed by Chaos.

i took it more as him trying to get it in and get it over as quick as possible, but I can see that too

J Diddy
08-12-2008, 11:18 AM
This show is AMAZING. Just thinking about what to say about it makes me feel like I've ingested a Person-load of Rippers!

For those who are interested, here's the series of Rolling Stone articles that led to the book. It's amazing how closely Simon & Burns followed Evan Wright's experiences.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/22026717/the_stories_behind_generation_kill

The first article goes through episode three or thereabouts, and the rest I haven't read yet so as to preserve mine virgin, unspoiled eyes:

Also, someone on another forum shared two mind-boggling anecdotes from the book regarding episode four:

The Captain America bitch-out was awesome, but they actually cut off half the scene. The day after Trombley shoots those herders, a few of the soldiers come to the conclusion that Trombley might have been spooked into firing, because he heard Captain America shooting off his AK-47 and Trombley thought it was coming from the herders. This is what prompts Sgt. Kocher to go up to Cap. America and give the "I will **** you up" line. In response, Cap. America says that's not the case, and it was was Corporal Crosby who fired the AK-47. Crosby hears this and goes apeshit, because he's never held an AK-47 let alone fire one. He goes up to Captain America, while he is surrounded by other soldiers, and demands a Request Mast, which is a process where Marines can answer against formal charges laid against them. When Cap asks why he wants one, Crosby says something to the effect of "You're going around telling everyone I shot the AK-47, and that's bullshit, because you're the one shooting that gun off". Crosby going up to Cap. America and calling him out in front of other soldiers gives Cap two options: he can give Crosby the Request Mast. But if he does that, Crosby can produce a dozen people who will all testify he never shot the AK, that it was Cap. This would jam Cap up, for shooting off the AK and causing the incident, and for spreading rumors about Crosby. So Captain America chooses the second option, he backs down Crosby in front of his men. After he, a Captain, got bitched out in public by a lowly corporal, whatever was left of his authority caught cold and died. From that day on, anytime Cap. America issued an order, the men checked with Sgt. Kocher first. If he didn't like the order, they didn't do it.

Secondly, the shoot-out scene with the family: they actually toned it way the **** down from the book version. After they pull the two men out of the car, Espera sees the girl in the back. Thinking she was asleep or in shock, (because he does not see any bullet wounds), he goes to scoop her up and pull her out of the car, only to discover that the back of her head was blown out, and her brains actually drop out of her head and onto the pavement, where he slips on them and falls. He later says he has nightmares about that night to this day. Jesus Christ.

wow
the version they showed was bad enough for me

OnTheWarpath15
08-12-2008, 11:22 AM

Yeah, those of you who are enjoying the series are really doing yourselves a disservice if you don't read this book.

I've really been pleased with the miniseries, but the book blows it away, IMO.

Baby Lee
08-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Anyone have a guess what the result would have been if someone on the abandoned supply truck had simply said "does Godfather know the colors are on here?"

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
i took it more as him trying to get it in and get it over as quick as possibleWhich, as the series, some of the grunts involved, and the wonders of hindsight have borne out, was a terrible idea that greatly screwed us over once the warfare shifted into an insurgency.

There were boobs (Encino Man), retards (Captain America), and good dudes (Fick) in various positions of leadership, but most of the opinions I've seen from military people (except from the people who are being portrayed as incompetent in the book/series, natch) have said that it's almost not extreme enough in its depiction of the sort of incompetence that can actually end up being rewarded.

Which isn't shocking, considering how things go in civilian life.

Oh, and the bits with their (ONE!) translator are always hilarious and terrifying.

Swanman
08-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Which, as the series, some of the grunts involved, and the wonders of hindsight have borne out, was a terrible idea that greatly screwed us over once the warfare shifted into an insurgency.

There were boobs (Encino Man), retards (Captain America), and good dudes (Fick) in various positions of leadership, but most of the opinions I've seen from military people (except from the people who are being portrayed as incompetent in the book/series, natch) have said that it's almost not extreme enough in its depiction of the sort of incompetence that can actually end up being rewarded.

Which isn't shocking, considering how things go in civilian life.

Oh, and the bits with their (ONE!) translator are always hilarious and terrifying.

That translator is a goofy bastage: "He used a word that means 'a lot of dudes'".

At first, just because the way he looks, I thought Fick was going to be a snivelling little bitch, but he is a great officer thus far in the series. It's enfuriating that he got in trouble for trying to give that incompetent ass Encino Man information about the RPG team they already killed when he was trying to call in a close fire mission. Although it was very satisfying when Fick made Encino Man's little tag-along guy (maybe he was a gunnery sgt, I can't remember) look like a little bitch when he tried to butt into their conversation in the most recent episode.

Swanman
08-12-2008, 12:11 PM
i took it more as him trying to get it in and get it over as quick as possible, but I can see that too

That may have been part of his motivation, but he kept talking about getting "into the game" and being the first group to do different things. Which is fine because he has faith in his units. However, sending them on obvious suicide missions when there were much better options available made it clear that he was looking to get medals. The one big example was the taking of the airfield. Had the Republican Guard still been there in force, they would have destroyed the entire unit the minute they crested that ridge, as Iceman states in the episode. Humvees don't match up real well with tanks.

J Diddy
08-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah, those of you who are enjoying the series are really doing yourselves a disservice if you don't read this book.

I've really been pleased with the miniseries, but the book blows it away, IMO.
Thanks, I was kinda wondering about the book

unfortunately I was in a hole and didn't know of the book or series or anything until the hbo previews

since I have already started watching the series I will wait until it's over to read the book

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
At least my mom took me to NASCAR!

J Diddy
08-12-2008, 12:24 PM
That translator is a goofy bastage: "He used a word that means 'a lot of dudes'".

At first, just because the way he looks, I thought Fick was going to be a snivelling little bitch, but he is a great officer thus far in the series. It's enfuriating that he got in trouble for trying to give that incompetent ass Encino Man information about the RPG team they already killed when he was trying to call in a close fire mission. Although it was very satisfying when Fick made Encino Man's little tag-along guy (maybe he was a gunnery sgt, I can't remember) look like a little bitch when he tried to butt into their conversation in the most recent episode.

he was a gunnery sgt
yeah I thought he is portrayed as a great officer too

Swanman
08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
One of the guys (Rudy Reyes, the bodybuilder, pretty sure he's gay guy) is actually playing himself in the series.

Swanman
08-12-2008, 12:28 PM
he was a gunnery sgt
yeah I thought he is portrayed as a great officer too

If you want to make one comparison to Band of Brothers, I would definitely compare Fick to Dick Winters. He's soft-spoken, great tactically and a great leader.

J Diddy
08-12-2008, 12:30 PM

cpl. josh ray person is by far my favorite

little write up in the local paper over him

http://www.nevadadailymail.com/story/1443418.html

J Diddy
08-12-2008, 12:34 PM
If you want to make one comparison to Band of Brothers, I would definitely compare Fick to Dick Winters. He's soft-spoken, great tactically and a great leader.

I don't see that so much.

No matter what happened Winters had the respect of his men, I see an awful lot of resentment towards Fick.

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2008, 12:37 PM
One of the guys (Rudy Reyes, the bodybuilder, pretty sure he's gay guy) is actually playing himself in the series.Rudy isn't gay. He's just so gorgeous that straight guys want to have sex with him.

"It doesn't mean you're gay if you think Rudy's hot. We all think he's hot."

http://i33.tinypic.com/ndoe2g.jpg

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88578840

Working on the HBO project sometimes dredged up painful memories. While shooting a sequence in which a Marine shot two teens, Reyes said he struggled not to confuse the actor with the man who actually pulled the trigger.

"It got me very upset … I was thinking, this son of a b**** actor! I was getting mad at the actor!" he said.

The actual incident occurred when the severely sleep-deprived troops were pushing into an air field, Reyes said.

"According to our intel, we had armor on there and we were cleared "hot" to engage everybody and everything," he recounted.

Wright also witnessed the shooting. He said the unit commander declared that Iraqis en route to the airfield were "hostile." In other words, they should be shot.

"These shepherds come out, whether to warn us or to say hello to us," Reyes recalled. "I hear somebody engaging up front, and I see the report and the smoke and I see these guys go down. Civilians. We knew they were civilians, but remember, we're all smoked, we're all tired."

The victims were two boys, ages 14 and 17. Kind of insane that the guy was able to recreate a near-death experience (the bullet going through the windshield as he was leaning over to tend to Pappy) and not freak out.

dirk digler
08-12-2008, 02:17 PM

Having been in the Marines I can tell you without a doubt there are alot of incompetent officers who are all about making themselves look better or covering their asses because they are stupid.

The only officer that is liked is Lt Flick IMO.

Anyway I bought the book when it first came out and absolutely loved it and I love the series. I watch every episode at least 2-3 times.

Bowser
08-12-2008, 03:18 PM

I LOL'D at that part.

Rudy isn't gay. He's just so gorgeous that straight guys want to have sex with him.

"It doesn't mean you're gay if you think Rudy's hot. We all think he's hot."

http://i33.tinypic.com/ndoe2g.jpg

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88578840

Kind of insane that the guy was able to recreate a near-death experience (the bullet going through the windshield as he was leaning over to tend to Pappy) and not freak out.

I wonder if he's pissed someone somewhere in the military off with his involvement in this show. I can't imagine he hasn't.

J Diddy
08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Having been in the Marines I can tell you without a doubt there are alot of incompetent officers who are all about making themselves look better or covering their asses because they are stupid.

The only officer that is liked is Lt Flick IMO.

Anyway I bought the book when it first came out and absolutely loved it and I love the series. I watch every episode at least 2-3 times.

I can understand it is pretty much that way every where so I doubt it could be prevented even in the Marines

dirk digler
08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I can understand it is pretty much that way every where so I doubt it could be prevented even in the Marines

True but you would think in dealing with life and death issues you would have more competent people as officers.

J Diddy
08-12-2008, 03:25 PM
I LOL'D at that part.

I wonder if he's pissed someone somewhere in the military off with his involvement in this show. I can't imagine he hasn't.

Probably

I think there were alot of actual people who were involved with the show

Bowser
08-12-2008, 03:26 PM
True but you would think in dealing with life and death issues you would have more competent people as officers.

I've come to the conclusion that common sense and following orders just do not mix.

J Diddy
08-12-2008, 03:28 PM
IMO, strictly IMO, because I was never able to serve in the military.

It would seem difficult to evaluate how combat competent someone was without putting them in combat first.

dirk digler
08-12-2008, 03:31 PM
I've come to the conclusion that common sense and following orders just do not mix.

Yep. The last episode was a perfect example when they were driving to meet up and they past the insurgents\jihadists with all of their ammunitions, mortars, weapons, etc and they just pass on by because command wants to get things done quickly instead of doing the right thing.

dirk digler
08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
IMO, strictly IMO, because I was never able to serve in the military.

It would seem difficult to evaluate how combat competent someone was without putting them in combat first.

I would say that could be true in regular infantry units but this Marine Force Recon which is a special forces unit.

They also deployed in Afghanistan and when you watch the last episode they talked about how command ****ed things up by putting officers on the ground when they didn't do that in Afghanistan.

J Diddy
08-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Yep. The last episode was a perfect example when they were driving to meet up and they past the insurgents\jihadists with all of their ammunitions, mortars, weapons, etc and they just pass on by because command wants to get things done quickly instead of doing the right thing.

yeah that didn't make much since
then blew up all the weapons that they found at the only school in town

Ultra Peanut
08-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Probably

I think there were alot of actual people who were involved with the showI think most of the guys who were in the truck with Wright (Rolling Stone) have been involved as consultants, though Trombley's probably been arrested for animal cruelty by now.

J Diddy
08-13-2008, 08:50 AM
I think most of the guys who were in the truck with Wright (Rolling Stone) have been involved as consultants, though Trombley's probably been arrested for animal cruelty by now.
lol

I didn't kill no innocent camels, I got me some iraqis

KevB
08-13-2008, 09:09 AM
I think most of the guys who were in the truck with Wright (Rolling Stone) have been involved as consultants, though Trombley's probably been arrested for animal cruelty by now.

Actually, Trombley's at home getting a rush watching game shows.

evolve27
08-29-2008, 09:14 PM
About to watch the 7th episode, excellent show. Bravo Platoon 2 > Alpha Company. First recon sergeant major John Sixta is comedic with his dumbass accent and mustache comments.

Little Bigfoot
08-29-2008, 09:24 PM
If Gen Kill is an accurate account, and I think it is, I can only hope the military decision makers will learn from it. Cuz, it's realy kinda scary.

J Diddy
08-29-2008, 10:20 PM
About to watch the 7th episode, excellent show. Bravo Platoon 2 > Alpha Company. First recon sergeant major John Sixta is comedic with his dumbass accent and mustache comments.

was very good, gonna wait a couple of weeks and pick the book up on ebay

HC_Chief
08-30-2008, 09:48 AM

Yeah, plus others. I've met a couple of the guys... really cool, funny as hell, but you can tell they are not the type of people to cross. ;)

Josh ("Ray" in the series... the driver / "loudmouth one") told me that each of the consultants had an axe to grind. The guy from Alpha stated his mission in the consulting on Generation Kill was to get "Captain America" to commit suicide. They fricking hate that guy!

Rudy Reyes did play himself on the show. They ripped on him a bit as well, saying he thought he was the next "Brad Pitt"; thought his acting was the shizzie (follow that with "...but you know it really sucked ass! I can't believe how the dude can get people to do anything for him. It's some unnatural power he possesses") :D