PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Whitlock unloads on NBC's "Sunday Night Football" show

Deberg_1990
07-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Great read. Pretty much agree with all of it.

Im tired of networks trying to "broaden the demographics" at the expense of the hardcore fans.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8331492

Everyone I mention in today's column except Jay Mariotti is someone I like personally, respect professionally and hope will understand I have a job to do. My job is to tell you what I honestly think, not to play kissy-face with my peers in the media.

What in the hell is NBC doing adding another person to its NFL studio show who doesn't really care or know anything about the NFL?

The last thing "Football Night in America" needed was Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann trying to out-cute each other while highlights play in the back-back-background. The return of The Big Show is going to look, sound and feel like The Big Show-offs, another overdone football distraction.

NBC executives must have missed the memo: The Big Show era is dead. ESPN killed it. Every Tom, Dick and Stu Scott wannabe beat the other side of the pillow, cold and Pooh season and en fuego to death.

It ain't coming back.

What's worse is that Football Night was already hamstrung by an overcrowded set featuring talking heads with limited insight about, connection to and passion for the NFL.

Bob Costas, a brilliant broadcaster, is a baseball man. He named a son after Kirby Puckett. No shame in that. But a baseball man is out of place hosting the highest-profile football studio show.

Olbermann, a brilliant broadcaster, is a left-wing political pundit. You don't think football when you see Olbermann. You think Bill O'Reilly. Olbermann's work on Football Night comes off like he spends an hour each week thinking about the NFL. His disjointed and confusing commentary last season about Michael Vick exposed how out of place he is talking football on a big stage.

Tiki Barber quit football in his prime because the entire concept of the game utterly bored him, and that's just how he comes across during the brief, off-the-main-set segments he is allowed to speak. I'm glad Tiki is embracing life outside the locker room and wants to evolve well beyond being a football player. I just don't want to witness it during a prime-time football show. I can monitor Tiki's evolution five days a week on the "Today Show."

Jerome Bettis, terrific fullback, should be hosting a pro bowlers studio show. As a broadcaster, he's not ready for the main stage. He's not Emmitt Smiff, but Jerome hasn't mastered the art of speaking in provocative, insightful sound bites.

On paper, Peter King is qualified to star on Football Night as an information man. No one follows the game more thoroughly than King, the Sports Illustrated scribe. He's a true insider who can get on the phone with damn near any coach or executive in the league. Unfortunately for King, the guys breaking the most news these days are the journalists with the best access to agents and players.

Nope, Football Night has just one star Cris Collinsworth. He loves the game. He immerses himself in the game. He's willing to be outspoken about the game. He's just not on camera enough because the show has to make room for all the guys moonlighting as football experts. Collinsworth has no one to talk to on his level. I'd bet he's the only person on the show who actually watches game film.

Dan Patrick, a brilliant broadcaster, won't help. He's a clever radio host, but he's not a football guy. Patrick will be one more person on the show who has little real interest in the game.

I'm sure all these guys are football fans. Hell, they probably operate great fantasy teams. But they'll all contribute to one big, sloppy mess on Sunday nights. In terms of relevance and chemistry, the NBC show will lose more ground to Terry, Howie, Jimmy and Curt Menefee.

I'm not pimping Fox's studio show because I work for FOXSports.com. I don't roll like that. Just about everyone in the industry agrees that Fox's studio show is the best in football. The reason it's the best is because the main guys are all still football men first. They still love the game and follow it with tremendous passion. Or at least that's how they appear on Sunday afternoons. They act like they'd rather watch football on Sundays than grill George W. Bush about his Iraq policy.

Tiki, Olbermann and Costas are too intelligent and sophisticated to care about football the way Terry, Howie and Jimmy do. Bettis, King and Patrick just aren't good fits considering all the other dynamics in play.

NBC's show will be so bad that about the only thing that could be worse would be if ESPN decided to team Stu Scott, Jay Mariotti and Emmitt Smiff in the Monday Night Football booth.

markk
07-14-2008, 02:09 PM
costas is good.

if whitlock wants to rail at someone for trying to 'broaden the demographics' talk to ABC. monday night football is just a commercial for abc's other properties and a show targeted toward women. they have soap opera actors hang around in the booth or have those ridiculous reality show like elements added at halftime to gear the program toward women.

ABC thinks men are a captive audience because it's the NFL, so it's safe to have the worst commentators in human history and reorient the whole broadcast toward keeping women interested.

beach tribe
07-14-2008, 02:33 PM
I think this is the first time I've completely agreed with the Twit.

Count Alex's Losses
07-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Emmitt Smiff lol

It's too bad Dick Vermiel isn't 15 years younger.

Frazod
07-14-2008, 02:50 PM
I love the way he singles out Mariotti. That guy may well be the biggest dickhead on earth.

alpha_omega
07-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Emmitt Smiff lol

Yep....i laughed at that one as well.

WilliamTheIrish
07-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Ho hum. Bore me some more, Jason.

Deberg_1990
07-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Ho hum. Bore me some more, Jason.

Its the off-season. What the heck is he supposed to write about? The Chiefs 2008 Super Bowl run?

jidar
07-14-2008, 02:58 PM
I hear what Whitlock is saying and while he has a point, I don't agree with what he's saying.

The fact is, every one of those guys has extensive live broadcasting experience and more than a little NFL smarts. Are they the most insightful around? Maybe not, but to suggest they aren't knowledgeable enough for a prime time NFL show is ridiculous. It's NFL commentary not brain surgery.

Costas and Collinsworth together is a proven combination for NFL commentary and the rest of them just have to fill out the roster.

WilliamTheIrish
07-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Its the off-season. What the heck is he supposed to write about? The Chiefs 2008 Super Bowl run?

I suppose there are any number of ideas he could come up with. But, as usual, another ho-hum column.

BigRock
07-14-2008, 03:09 PM
I suppose there are any number of ideas he could come up with. But, as usual, another ho-hum column.
It wasn't too ho-hum to Dan Patrick. He said he's willing to be quizzed in his NFL knowledge against studio hosts from Fox and CBS, and if he didn't know more than them, he'd quit the NBC gig.

And if he does know more, Jason has to quit writing for Fox Sports.

Demonpenz
07-14-2008, 03:12 PM
That would be sweet to have Steve Lyons and Craig kilborn have a sports show. With more betting, more alchohol and fun

Deberg_1990
07-14-2008, 03:16 PM
It wasn't too ho-hum to Dan Patrick. He said he's willing to be quizzed in his NFL knowledge against studio hosts from Fox and CBS, and if he didn't know more than them, he'd quit the NBC gig.

And if he does know more, Jason has to quit writing for Fox Sports.

Its obviously somewhat Personal for JW. I wonder if he got passed over or something??

Most of what hes calling out is not their football IQ, its their passion for the game that he seems to have issue with the most.

blueballs
07-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Hello
we turn in to watch the game
you kidding me

Pablo
07-14-2008, 03:44 PM
I love the way he singles out Mariotti. That guy may well be the biggest dickhead on earth.Truth. His douchetastic-ness may only be rivaled by the likes of Stephen A. Smith and Jim Rome.

But Rome's not THAT bad..he's still a douche from time to time.

Frazod
07-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Truth. His douchetastic-ness may only be rivaled by the likes of Stephen A. Smith and Jim Rome.

But Rome's not THAT bad..he's still a douche from time to time.

I basically quit reading the local newspaper because of Mariotti, and you couldn't pay me to watch his show. If there is a bigger whining bitch in all of journalism I can't imagine who it would be. He should write for Redbook.

OnTheWarpath58
07-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Its obviously somewhat Personal for JW. I wonder if he got passed over or something??

Most of what hes calling out is not their football IQ, its their passion for the game that he seems to have issue with the most.

Passed over?

For what?

The guy can't even get regular work on the ****ing Sports Reporters, much less a national, primetime, NFL pre/post game show.

Peter King is a douchenozzle to the N'th degree, but he's STILL head and shoulders above Whitlock when it comes to NFL knowledge and reporting.

And when it comes to overall sports knowledge, I'd put Dan Patrick up against anyone, on any network.

KCFalcon59
07-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Is there any pregame show that doesn't suck ass? I can't stand any of them.

Pablo
07-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Is there any pregame show that doesn't suck ass? I can't stand any of them.Eh, back when I had NFLN I didn't mind Rod Woodson and Rich Eisen.

OnTheWarpath58
07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Eh, back when I had NFLN I didn't mind Rod Stewart and Rich Eisen.

Rod Stewart?

ROFL

Pablo
07-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Rod Stewart?

ROFLWow. I knew I didn't get his name right, I was just too lazy to google it. Woodson. I actually don't know wtf I was thinking.

There ya go, I like Rod Woodson.

Although Rod Stewart might make a rather flamboyant commentator.

Rausch
07-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Jerome Bettis, terrific fullback, should be hosting a pro bowlers studio show. As a broadcaster, he's not ready for the main stage. He's not Emmitt Smiff, but Jerome hasn't mastered the art of speaking in provocative, insightful sound bites.

I hear Joe montana was a darn good Cornerback as well...

Dayze
07-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Is there any pregame show that doesn't suck ass? I can't stand any of them.

agreed. CBS is probably the worst; Fox is 'okay' by pregame standars; NBC sucks; the only good thing is a good HD signal.

I'm not even sure why we have these things anyway; mostly a knob job for the 'hot team' of the moment. these guys pat themselves on the back when they're right, but are never called out on their assessments when they're wrong.

Commentator Wise - I like Mike Patrick, Al Michaels; the rest are on the same level with me; no one really stands out.

**Madden Needs hang it up***

Count Alex's Losses
07-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Passed over?

For what?

The guy can't even get regular work on the ****ing Sports Reporters, much less a national, primetime, NFL pre/post game show.

Peter King is a douchenozzle to the N'th degree, but he's STILL head and shoulders above Whitlock when it comes to NFL knowledge and reporting.

And when it comes to overall sports knowledge, I'd put Dan Patrick up against anyone, on any network.

I've seen Whitlock on TV. He's OK, but nothing special. And he definitely has a face for radio.

OnTheWarpath58
07-14-2008, 06:24 PM
I've seen Whitlock on TV. He's OK, but nothing special. And he definitely has a face for radio.

Exactly.

Terribly average, and that might be generous.

Kinda like his writing...

Subterranean Alien
07-14-2008, 06:31 PM
I basically quit reading the local newspaper because of Mariotti, and you couldn't pay me to watch his show. If there is a bigger whining bitch in all of journalism I can't imagine who it would be. He should write for Redbook.

I agree, although the only exposure I have of Mariotti is Around The Horn. But I haven't heard anything good about the guy.

kstater
07-14-2008, 06:31 PM
"I'm not pimping Fox's studio show because I work for FOXSports.com. I don't roll like that. Just about everyone in the industry agrees that Fox's studio show is the best in football. The reason it's the best is because the main guys are all still football men first. They still love the game and follow it with tremendous passion. Or at least that's how they appear on Sunday afternoons. They act like they'd rather watch football on Sundays than grill George W. Bush about his Iraq policy."

I don't roll like that, but I'll go ahead and pimp them anyway.

Rausch
07-14-2008, 06:37 PM
"I'm not pimping Fox's studio show because I work for FOXSports.com. I don't roll like that. Just about everyone in the industry agrees that Fox's studio show is the best in football. The reason it's the best is because the main guys are all still football men first. They still love the game and follow it with tremendous passion. Or at least that's how they appear on Sunday afternoons. They act like they'd rather watch football on Sundays than grill George W. Bush about his Iraq policy."

I don't roll like that, but I'll go ahead and pimp them anyway.

I agree with his point but I had to laugh when he slams hiring guys for TV who aren't in the know about the NFL in the same article he lists a HOF HB as a FB. A position the guy hasn't played since Whitlock could fit in a Bettis sized uniform.

And it's not like you couldn't pick it up. Bettis was the whole story the NFL tried to sell us on for that Super Bowl. Bettis going home, Bettis the workhorse finally getting a shot at a ring, Bettis the nice guy, etc...

Subterranean Alien
07-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Does anybody anywhere like Whitlock?

Count Alex's Losses
07-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I personally am a big fan of Whitlock.

KcMizzou
07-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Does anybody anywhere like Whitlock?I don't always agree with him, but yeah, I'd say so.

I never miss his column, anyway.

Deberg_1990
07-16-2008, 06:08 PM
I don't always agree with him, but yeah, I'd say so.

I never miss his column, anyway.

Love him or hate him, ya gotta read him. Everyone does.

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
I like jwhit. I just wouldn't want him sitting on me.

patteeu
07-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Does anybody anywhere like Whitlock?

I like him a lot. KC sports radio hasn't been the same since he left and, while I don't always agree with his columns, I usually enjoy reading them.

little jacob
07-16-2008, 09:27 PM
i liked whitlock on his morning show on 810 years ago. his columns are usually decent, occasionally very good.

WilliamTheIrish
07-16-2008, 09:54 PM
The guy's a quitter. Quit 810 when he demanded a better time slot. Went to 610 and quit there too. On the air.