PDA

View Full Version : Misc Do you own a gun?

Redrum_69
07-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Do you own a gun and would use it for self defense if you were attacked by a home invasion?

Better yet...do you carry a weapon in your car for protection on trips or vacations?

MOhillbilly
07-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Missouri has the castle law.

Game Over.

Edit- and Right to Carry.

DaKCMan AP
07-15-2008, 07:58 AM
No need for a gun.

I keep a bat in my car but the intent isn't for protection.

KC Kings
07-15-2008, 08:04 AM
I own several guns, but I also own several small children so the guns are put up and locked.

I would have no problem using a gun for self defense but given my current situation, by the time I realized that there was a threat in the house I don't think I would take the time to pull out the shotgun, find the key to the trigger guard, run to the garage and grab ammo, then confront the threat. I know anything can happen anywhere, but we live in a pretty safe neighborhood where over 10% of the homeowners are cops, so I don't think about it as much now as I did when we lived in KC next to the stadiums.

For vacations, I bring a pistol along only because I never stop at hotels and I like to have it when I am catching a snooze at a truck stop.

ChiefsOne
07-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Yes, I have a few guns, but only one pistol. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

No, I have never carried a gun on vacation.

Buehler445
07-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Own a gun, would blast someone if I could get to it and get it loaded before they blasted me. Much more likely to get ahold of a knive. I've got knives EVERYWHERE in my house.

On a vacation? No. Most places frown on you packing.

little jacob
07-15-2008, 08:15 AM
depends. they are all secure and unloaded except the one that's at my side which is always loaded. in a typical break-in situation i'm going to grab that one, my phone, and i'm going out the back door. call police, get information on their vehicle, etc. i would not use deadly force to protect property. however if at any time they presented a threat i wouldn't hesitate.

i dont have children at home. if i had someone else in the house, the equation changes. i am bound to protect them up to and including my life. that is the only situation where i am actively searching for an intruder.

and yes, i concealed carry most of the time.

oldandslow
07-15-2008, 08:16 AM
I own 2 shotguns, a 30-30, a 30-6, and a 22. I hunt quite a bit.

They are all locked in a gun cabinet. Kids.

Groves
07-15-2008, 08:20 AM
No need for a gun.

I keep a bat in my bra but the intent isn't for protection.

Wha?

Radar Chief
07-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Yes and yes on the first question.
Depends on whether Iím flying on the second. Taking a loaded gun to the airport is a bad plan.

little jacob
07-15-2008, 08:24 AM
a crook is crazy if they rob a house while people are home anyway. you dont know if that guy is screwed up on crack or what. they have already made a very poor and dangerous choice, you're liable to get your rear end full of 00 buck breaking in to occupied houses. no telling what they are capable of doing if they would do that

Reerun_KC
07-15-2008, 08:25 AM
have older kids in the house. Have plenty of guns in the gun cabinet, Wouldnt think twice about smoking someone that came in the house to harm my family or steal from my family.

I have one gun in the house that is loaded. 12G Pump shotgun with 2 3 1/2 turkey loads in it. Figured that would be all I need to stop whomever.

HonestChieffan
One would not want to assume there is no gun in house or car.

Reerun_KC
No need for a gun.

I keep a bat in my car but the intent isn't for protection.
Beating up the homeless again?

seclark
07-15-2008, 08:27 AM
26 rifles
3 shotguns
3 pistols

most have been handed down to me from my grandparents and father.

i don't carry one when i travel.

i have and would use one for protection.
sec

Stewie
07-15-2008, 08:31 AM
I own a 12-gauge shotgun. It wouldn't do me much good if I needed it quickly since it's in a carrying case that requires the barrel be detached from the stock.

DaKCMan AP
07-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Wha?

All the cool kids are doing it!

DaKCMan AP
07-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Beating up the homeless again?

I blame Reerun_KC.

tooge
07-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I own 2 rifles and 2 shotguns. I am wanting a .357 handgun also. I would use it without hesitation. I have carried on vacation, but not with the kids.

Iowanian
07-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Several.

I added a new 9mm this week. I'm legal if I wanted to take it along.

Rausch
07-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Nope, just a machete.

Think it sends a little more sinister message, myself...

kc rush
07-15-2008, 08:48 AM
I don't have a gun, but have nothing against them. I've enjoyed shooting them at a range and target practice at a wooded property.

If I had one would I use it as protection...yes, if it was necessary.

StcChief
07-15-2008, 08:50 AM
who needs to know....

Dartgod
07-15-2008, 08:53 AM
I have a .22 single shot rifle that I got as a kid for squirrel hunting.

So if we are attacked by a lone squirrel bandit, then I feel pretty confident that I can take that sucker down.

smittysbar
07-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Lots of guns, several hand guns. If the family was home, I would not hesitate to use it, if they posed a threat.

I have been able to pack concealed since the age of 21. I don't do it though.

smittysbar
07-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Nope, just a machete.

Think it sends a little more sinister message, myself...

Bringing a knife to a gun fight? :D

DaKCMan AP
07-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Lots of guns, several hand guns. If the family was home, I would not hesitate to use it, if they posed a threat.

I have been able to pack concealed since the age of 21. I don't do it though.

Domestic violence? :eek:

;)

Frazod
07-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Do I really need to answer this? :D

DaKCMan AP
07-15-2008, 09:04 AM
http://www.obeythepurebreed.com/images/gun_show_t-shirt.gif

blueballs
07-15-2008, 09:10 AM
locking gas cap and a rott
get your gas to haul your mother to the clinic
elsewhere

TrebMaxx
07-15-2008, 09:12 AM
I have shotguns, rifles and pistols. Depends on where I am traveling and how I am traveling if a pistol goes along for the ride.

damaticous
07-15-2008, 09:38 AM
I only own a 12 gage, 22 rifle (a relic from 1961 that I'm saving to one day sell, but I have shot it and shoots straighter than any gun I've ever owned), and a .38 Special revolver.

I only get to shoot my guns about once every 2 years.

I don't have small children but keep guns high up in the closet with ammo stored elsewhere.

If I had an intruder I don't think I'd have the time to get my gun, run across the house to get the ammo, load it, then face the intruder.

I do take my gun (.38)on float trips (what I do for vacations) and leave it in the truck just in case I might need it.

markk
07-15-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't have small children but keep guns high up in the closet with ammo stored elsewhere.

Why, if I may ask?

MeaTy The Pimp
07-15-2008, 09:44 AM
I own several, and I would use a gun in defense of my home in a instant if I felt my family or myself were in danger. That being said, if some breaks in and I can get my family and myself out without problem then I wouldn't bother (Family safety is more important than property rotection.). I would just call the cops and let them deal with it.

If guns were to be used, the potential threat would be in a world of hurt. In addition to the skill I have with my guns, the missus is also very proficient with them as well. She and I make frequent trips to the range. She is going to get her concealed carry permit as well.

I have a Taurus PT92 chambered in 9mm (poor mans Beretta), an AR15 with alot of extra s and extra mags, a FAL (pretty much just barebones as I haven't started adding the extras to it yet.), and my deer rifle (Weatherby Vangard chambered in 7mm Rem Mag)

Gonzo
07-15-2008, 09:51 AM
5 shotguns
4 rifles
4 muzzle-loaders
A couple .22's
Some air rifles and a bb gun

Rausch
07-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Bringing a knife to a gun fight? :D

If it's in my home it's already close quarters.

The theiving bitch better be able to fire that 2nd shot with his left...

Donger
07-15-2008, 09:54 AM
No, but I do have a gun rack.

rambleonthruthefog
07-15-2008, 09:56 AM
yes. its loaded and not locked up. yes i have kids, and yes they know exactly where the gun is.

flame away.

El Jefe
07-15-2008, 10:02 AM
We have quite a few guns at the old homestead. My dad has a 20ga and 12ga shotty. 4 pistols, one .45 Colt (goverment issue), our local gun store wants to buy it from him, but he doesn't want to part with it. He also has a couple rifles.

I have in my room a S&W 9mm, that I shoot a couple times a month, so if you did come into my house to steal from me or harm me, you better just get on the floor and put your hands up. Or your going to take a couple rounds center mass, only problem is with my nieces and nephews, I don't keep it loaded, but is next to the ammo in my gun box. I would rather keep my gun next to or under my bed with a clip in and one in the tube, but I wont risk it with any of my nieces and nephews around. Plus we live in the country, and have 5 dogs and keep the doors locked at night, so if someone breaks in your gonna hear about it from the dogs.

stumppy
07-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Nothing that can be traced back to me.:evil:

CoMoChief
07-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Got a Browning Gold 12g semi auto shotgun

Rausch
07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Nothing that can be traced back to me.:evil:

Cops are tricky. They'll likely figure out the domicile you shot the person in is yours...

Pablo
07-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Got a pants-pistol.

I only target females with that one. It's really of no use to me if someone breaks into my home, unless I'm planning on bludgeoning them to death with my member.

Who knows, I've heard of crazier things.

Frazod
07-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Got a pants-pistol.

I only target females with that one. It's really of no use to me if someone breaks into my home, unless I'm planning on bludgeoning them to death with my member.

Who knows, I've heard of crazier things.

I saw a guy type his name on a typewriter with it once. :spock:

Pablo
07-15-2008, 10:12 AM
I saw a guy type his name on a typewriter with it once. :spock:Wow, you Mizzou fans are an odd sort.

stumppy
07-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Cops are tricky. They'll likely figure out the domicile you shot the person in is yours...

:evil:

Pablo
07-15-2008, 10:15 AM
:evil:I don't think gardening is going to get you out of that sort of situation.

Frazod
07-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Wow, you Mizzou fans are an odd sort.

It was a boiler tech on my ship. Something about extreme temperatures, sleep deprivation and alcohol abuse tended to make them insane.

Pablo
07-15-2008, 10:18 AM
It was a boiler tech on my ship. Something about extreme temperatures, sleep deprivation and alcohol abuse tended to make them insane.I could imagine. A good friend of mine is in the Navy's nuclear program, and he says there's a fair deal of mental instability in his line of work.

stumppy
07-15-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't think gardening is going to get you out of that sort of situation.

People seem to think the police would actually be called.

Rausch
07-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Something about extreme temperatures, sleep deprivation and alcohol abuse tended to make them insane.

Sounds like my early college years in a ghetto apt...

Demonpenz
07-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Guns in your house increace the odds of being shot. I got ADT

Dicky McElephant
07-15-2008, 11:02 AM
I have multiple swords that are sharpened. I'm pretty sure the intruder is losing an appendage before I go down.

Fish
07-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Yes and yes.

Don't take anything on vacation though. Working on CC.

Rausch
07-15-2008, 11:04 AM
I have multiple swords that are sharpened. I'm pretty sure the intruder is losing an appendage before I go down.

I hear it's nearly impossible to fight off the prison sex with a stub...

NewChief
07-15-2008, 11:07 AM
I have six guns (three are black powder muzzle loaders, so they wouldn't be much use in home defense), but all of them are put away so that they'd be pretty useless for protection.

markk
07-15-2008, 11:51 AM
yes. its loaded and not locked up. yes i have kids, and yes they know exactly where the gun is.

flame away.

i know even when i was 8 or 10 i knew it was not a toy, it was like touching a burner the stove. no one should touch it but my old man, or me when we went out to shoot.

if you start them young and teach them to respect guns, once they are a certain age you are ok. if you mystify them and keep them locked up they just want to know what is so cool that they are missing out on.

but nowadays they make locks and things that are so secure but easy to get into there's no reason not to have one. i have one for a shotgun that mounts on the wall or floor, it's a little bracket with a four number key that you can unlock in about a second or two seconds. some other time i will find a picture to post of it.

KcMizzou
07-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Nah. There was an accident with a gun not long after I moved away from home. It was locked up, but my little brother knew where the key was hidden. They were curious... didn't matter that they knew better. It went off, and killed his best friend. He spent several years in therapy.

I'd never have a gun until my kids are grown and gone. Lockbox, or not.

beach tribe
07-15-2008, 12:07 PM

Guns in my house increase the chance of crackhead getting shot.

Hog Farmer
07-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Sometimes I sit up all night long with my shotgun aimed at the front door just praying someone will bust in.

GESteve
07-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Yes on both. I go to the range weekly and am a pretty good shot.

Radar Chief
07-15-2008, 01:05 PM

Guns donít kill people, husbands coming home earlier than their wife and neighbor expected do.

Pablo
07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Sometimes I sit up all night long with my shotgun aimed at the front door just praying someone will bust in.They're coming after you hog-jizz stash.

PastorMikH
07-15-2008, 02:26 PM
I do own several firearms, and if someone did indeed break into my house, I would use it if necesary. I am a pastor, but I am also have a wife and three daughters that I have made a vow before God to protect. I could never live with myself if I allowed someone to come in and harm my wife and daughters, take their lives or worse while I could have stopped them from doing so but chose not too. Now, I wouldn't shoot unless I absolutely had to. The scenario I would prefer would be to hold them at gunpoint while the wife calls the police and have them arrested. But if I had too, I would.

I do not keep a loaded firearm, but the safe is by my side of the bed and usually is just day-locked. Ammo is located on the holsters of two pistols and I have used them enough to be able to load them quickly blindfolded.

Fish
07-15-2008, 02:33 PM
http://www.gunvault.com/

Safe and secure, and accessible in seconds.....

Reaper16
07-15-2008, 02:44 PM
I have several guns. They're in a cabinet, so use for protection wouldn't be practical. I'd have no reservations using a gun for protection, however.

Otter
07-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Remington 1100 shotty and S&W Model 620 .357 revolver.

2bikemike
07-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I own several firearms. I shoot quite regularly. And if some dumb shit comes sneaking around my house some night he can kiss his ass good bye.

I am trying to get a CC but the county sheriff is the only one issuing and he is dead set against them. By law the city chief of police can issue but they just as soon pass the buck to the sheriff.

btlook1
07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Sometimes I sit up all night long with my shotgun aimed at the front door just praying someone will bust in.

Hey did you steal my plan? I figure by the time the dogs get done with them there won't be much left to shoot but we keep them handy anyway...No small kids at my house I think theres guns in at least 3 rooms not loaded but can be in a very small amount of time!

Bowser
07-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Bwana is going to destroy this thread.

Spott
07-15-2008, 05:58 PM
I have a shotgun and a rifle at my house. I do not have a handgun or a concealed weapons permit, although I have been considering getting one.

Fruit Ninja
07-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Nope, used too, but thats just to much power to have. Plus the kind of life i used to live, they were just not worth it to have. I can live without them. Though, if i realllly n eed one my brother n law has a shitload from pistols to semi automatics.

crazycoffey
07-15-2008, 07:00 PM
yes, and I'm a good aim. If you want to know if I'd use it for protection, try and break in....

kstater
07-15-2008, 07:06 PM
yes, and I'm a good aim. If you want to know if I'd use it for protection, try and break in....

What he said. Don't have kids and it only takes a second to pump a shotgun.

88TG88
07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Nope, don't own one. I'm thinking of getting one in case anyone on my block tries any funny business with my stuff.

tmax63
07-15-2008, 07:38 PM
I have a range of guns from 17HMR to 300Wby, 410 to 12gauge, and .380 to 44mag. I have a S&W .40 hanging on the bedpost with 10 rds in a 15 rd magazine (so not to stress the spring) with the chamber empty. All I got to do is rack the slide and go. The war department is trained in the use of above weapon as well. All kids are married and are educated in weapons and some own their own. Grandkids are not allowed in grandpa's bedroom and when old enough are educated in guns and the damage they can do. Usually shooting a watermelon and rabbit hunting so that they see that it kills and they don't pop back to life like the video games. I don't routinely carry in the car but on ocasion I have. I have the deepest respect for life and understand that it would cost me $25k in legal fees if I shot someone in a home invasion scenario but would be happy to spend it if needed to protect my family or myself.

Bearcat
07-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Nope, never thought I've needed one.

I have nothing against guns or those who own them, but I have a curiosity of why people carry when there's no real threat. My older brother carries one... as far as I know, everywhere, because he has no problem showing up with it (concealed, of course) at family functions. Granted, crime is everywhere, I'll never understand why someone who lives in the suburbs would need a gun on him at all times. I'm sure it makes him feel cool, too, but he really has a 'don't leave home without it' type of attitude.

With my diet, I could have a heart attack at any time.... doesn't mean I'm going to carry around a defibrillator in my back pocket. :shrug:

damaticous
07-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Why, if I may ask?

Just to be safe.

I have a 16 year old girl. She would only shoot the .38, but she at least I've showed her how to use em.

Vegas_Dave
07-15-2008, 09:19 PM
I have a Glock 19. I have it for home defense and I also Open Carry it here in Nevada.

Bwana
07-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

banyon
07-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Sig Sauer 229 loaded next to my bed

Phobia
07-15-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm not much of a sporting gun enthusiast - something about carrying one for months upon months makes them lose their appeal for me. But I have a couple guns which would prove helpful in a burglary or home invasion.

Skip Towne
07-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Sig Sauer 229 loaded next to my bed

Being a prosecutor, I suspect you need it.

banyon
07-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Being a prosecutor, I suspect you need it.

Damn straight.

I would like a smaller conceal carry weapon too, but it wouldn't do me that much good since I can't carry it into my work.

QuikSsurfer
07-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

I figured you in the first 10 posts ;)

rocks
07-16-2008, 06:47 AM
Yes. Bad sh** goes down all over the place, city burbs you name it. I want to at least have a sporting chance!

Radar Chief
07-16-2008, 08:02 AM

I have nothing against guns or those who own them, but I have a curiosity of why people carry when there's no real threat. My older brother carries one... as far as I know, everywhere, because he has no problem showing up with it (concealed, of course) at family functions. Granted, crime is everywhere, I'll never understand why someone who lives in the suburbs would need a gun on him at all times. I'm sure it makes him feel cool, too, but he really has a 'don't leave home without it' type of attitude.

With my diet, I could have a heart attack at any time.... doesn't mean I'm going to carry around a defibrillator in my back pocket. :shrug:

Iíll carry when Iím fishing out at the river, partially for the wildlife but mostly because you never know what kind of meth cooking freak is going to show up out there.
Otherwise I donít carry around C-Town.

Hog Farmer
07-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Nope, used too, but thats just to much power to have. Plus the kind of life i used to live, they were just not worth it to have. I can live without them. Though, if i realllly n eed one my brother n law has a shitload from pistols to semi automatics.

The old saying comes to mind:

It's better to have it and not need it than
need it and not have it :thumb:

Hog Farmer
07-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I have a Glock 19. I have it for home defense and I also Open Carry it here in Nevada.

You'd like this better. The Glock 18. I want one of these but you have to have a Class III dealers liscense to own. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjUDCyDCuI

sd4chiefs
07-16-2008, 09:31 AM
I don't own a gun yet but if Favre ends up playing for the Chiefs I am going to get one so that I can blow my brains out.

Hog Farmer
07-16-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't own a gun yet but if Favre ends up playing for the Chiefs I am going to get one so that I can blow my brains out.

You can borrow mine.

redgoldexpress
07-16-2008, 06:27 PM
I do not currently have any type of guns in the house. But, do plan on buying 2 of them as soon as i get some extra money. Plus with me wanting to become a police officer i plan on having that gun as well. I would not hesitate to fire at someone it the threat was valid and trying to hurt me or my family in anyway possible.

BigOlChiefsfan
07-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Bwana speaks for me.

old_geezer
07-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

+1

Originally Posted by Bearcat

I have nothing against guns or those who own them, but I have a curiosity of why people carry when there's no real threat.

Because you never know when there will be a "real" threat, and I'd rather be prepared than be a victim.

Rain Man
07-16-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't need a gun. I know Bwana and Otter, and Big Daddy for those times when I don't want to leave marks.

dtebbe
07-16-2008, 09:50 PM
You'd like this better. The Glock 18. I want one of these but you have to have a Class III dealers liscense to own. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjUDCyDCuI

All BS aside... the guy in the above video is a class 3 dealer, and a buddy of mine bought a 9mm silencer for his Uzi from the guy. He has quite a collection, including a fully operational WWII era German MG-42. Probably the best squad level machine gun ever made.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wipVRs7r5Wk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wipVRs7r5Wk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Keep in mind the MG42 is 8mm, which is pretty much .30-06. So just think of that much .30 lead going down range...

DT

go bowe
07-16-2008, 11:58 PM
have older kids in the house. Have plenty of guns in the gun cabinet, Wouldnt think twice about smoking someone that came in the house to harm my family or steal from my family.

I have one gun in the house that is loaded. 12G Pump shotgun with 2 3 1/2 turkey loads in it. Figured that would be all I need to stop whomever.at short range, you're probably right that you wouldn't need anything bigger than turkey shot...

but i'd like 'em down to stay...

i'd go with my 12 magnum riot gun if somebody tried to hurt my family...

besides, the sound of a shotgun being pumped generally runs off most crooks...

and the blast when you put the first down will run off the rest...

usually...

DeezNutz
07-17-2008, 12:09 AM
at short range, you're probably right that you wouldn't need anything bigger than turkey shot...

but i'd like 'em down to stay...

i'd go with my 12 magnum riot gun if somebody tried to hurt my family...

besides, the sound of a shotgun being pumped generally runs off most crooks...

and the blast when you put the first down will run off the rest...

usually...

For shotgun loads, what do you all believe would be the best for protection and not going through walls, killing neighbors accidentally, etc. For example, would even #8 shot be enough at close range? 20-25 feet? I would think so, no?

tmax63
07-17-2008, 07:48 AM
I haven't read the penetration data but for home defense I'd still go with buckshot. Even if it went thru 1 wall it would stop on the second or be so slow that it wouldn't travel very far. IMHO

Radar Chief
07-17-2008, 08:12 AM

Redrum_69
07-23-2008, 08:38 AM
i've bought a few over the years, but i prefer the 12 guage

InChiefsHell
07-23-2008, 08:46 AM
.357 Magnum, Marlin 30.30, Westernfield 12 ga. pump, Mossberg 12ga. pump, Marlin .22. My kids are a little older, but I don't keep any of the weapons loaded. I do have the shotgun in a relatively good position, with ammo in the vicinity.