PDA

View Full Version : Life The Growth of Wal-Mart, animated

Silock
07-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Sorry if repost

http://projects.flowingdata.com/walmart/

Jewish Rabbi
07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Thankfully the growth seems to be slowing down at least a little bit...

Discuss Thrower
07-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Hmmm, it's inaccurate in depicting Joplin's Wal-Mart stores.

Deberg_1990
07-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Very cool. God Bless Wal Mart.

LiL stumppy
07-15-2008, 09:01 PM
jeeez

banyon
07-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Looks like a skin rash.

Deberg_1990
07-15-2008, 09:08 PM
I like how everyone hates on Wal Mart but nearly everyone shops there at least once a week.

banyon
07-15-2008, 09:12 PM
I like how everyone hates on Wal Mart but nearly everyone shops there at least once a week.

I go in there as little as possible, but there aren't many other options in DC.

When I lived in Lawrence, I might've gone in there once every 2-3 years.

ChiefsCountry
07-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Very cool. God Bless Wal Mart.

Agree.

KcMizzou
07-15-2008, 09:15 PM
I've found I go to Target a lot more often, If only because my nearest Walmart (Barry & I-29) Is such a pain in the ass to get into, and out of... Damned place is packed 24/7.

I did get my new TV there, though. Couldn't find nearly as good a deal at Target, or Best Buy.

Skip Towne
07-15-2008, 09:15 PM
I use K-Mart as much as possible.

Deberg_1990
07-15-2008, 09:18 PM
I've found I go to Target a lot more often, If only because my nearest Walmart (Barry & I-29) Is such a pain in the ass to get into, and out of... Damned place is packed 24/7.

I did get my new TV there, though. Couldn't find nearly as good a deal at Target.

I like Target better for some things. The stores are not nearly as crowded, they are cleaner and lets be honest, there isnt as much of a trashy element there.

But Wal Mart serves its purpose for alot of of things.

banyon
07-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Here's an anecdote from the Dodge City Wal-Mart:

Wal-Mart, Line 9 - No WHITES ALLOWED!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just witnessed something very disturbing tonight at Wal-Mart.

I was getting ready to checkout at 10:50 pm after getting about 20 items and noticed that lines (11, 13, 15) were the only lines that were open and were way backed up. The number 9 line had the light turned off and the LANE CLOSED sign out but still appeared to be ringing up customers so I approached the end of that line which only had about 4 or 5 customers in line, when the cashier motioned to her sign to indicate she was closed. So I continued on to line 11 which was much longer.

As I was waiting in line, I noticed 2 other people do the same thing as me in line 9, and again they were motioned on to the other lines as it appeared she was finishing up some customers.

Since I waited in line for nearly 20 minutes, I had quite a bit of time to observe something that was very disturbing. People of Hispanic origin were allowed to continue to come and check through her line, but whites were being motioned to go to an "open" lane. I was not the only person to notice it. An elderly man, one of the ones that were motioned on, noticed it and got very upset and walked out and left his cart- he told the door attendant that they could put away the %$#&@*#%$ groceries and he was never coming back.

Apparently, the CSM noticed it too. Sandra, the supervisor was also my checker and I asked her if there was anything that could be done for the long lines. She said that there was nobody else that could check but these three and that line 9 was "supposed to be" closed so that she could go to the express lane because that person was off duty 20 minutes ago. Then after Sandra motioned to her to go to the other lane to relieve another girl, she still waited on one more person, a Wal-Mart employee, who was also Hispanic. Heck, they stood there and lolly gagged (in Spanish) for a long time while customers continued to stand and wait in the other lanes.

The CSM, having witnessed what was occuring, called the girl over and I could hear her say "Those people came in your line after your lane was closed, why did you continue to wait on those customers?". The girl told Sandra, in a heavy spanish accent, that "they are my customers and I care for my customers". That is when I couldn't contain myself and spoke up..."Aren't I your customer? Because you shoo'd me off to wait in one of the other lanes while still taking some "other customers". She abruptly turned and stammered away.

Fortunately, the CSM, Sandra, said she would talk to the manager and have something done about the ordeal.

Several people noticed the event unfold. It was very disturbing and I have to say that I have never personally witnessed anything so blatently racist in my entire life.

DaFace
07-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Interesting map. I never realized how many more stores there are in the east half of the U.S. compared to the west.

KcMizzou
07-15-2008, 09:42 PM
You know... for all the complaints about customer service at Walmart, I had a very good experience when I bought that TV.

This young black kid wheeled it out for me... and I told him I'd pull my car up. He said, "Don't worry about it.. I'll take it to your vehicle. I like the chance to get outside."

Then... since the box wouldn't fit... he helped me take it out of the box, and squeeze it into the back seat. He told me I'd need that box to return it, if I had any trouble, so he said we could fold it up. (In 90 degree heat, no less) He folded it up, and put it between the TV and the back window, because he said you don't want that hot sunlight on a plasma screen.

The guy was cool as hell.

I tipped him 10 bucks, and told him thank you. He tried to give it back, and said he wasn't supposed to accept tips. I told him I wouldn't tell if he wouldn't. :)

Walmart... (hell every business) needs more employees like that. Very rare these days.

Valiant
07-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Wow, that progression chart can also double to show you how cancer spreads..

RJ
07-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Interesting map. I never realized how many more stores there are in the east half of the U.S. compared to the west.

Those Walmart-less spaces you see only exist because no one lives there.

DaFace
07-15-2008, 09:47 PM
You know... for all the complaints about customer service at Walmart, I had a very good experience when I bought that TV.

This young black kid wheeled it out for me... and I told him I'd pull my car up. He said, "Don't worry about it.. I'll take it to your vehicle. I like the chance to get outside."

Then... since the box wouldn't fit... he helped me take it out of the box, and squeeze it into the back seat. He told me I'd need that box to return it, if I had any trouble, so he said we could fold it up. (In 90 degree heat, no less) He folded it up, and put it between the TV and the back window, because he said you don't want that hot sunlight on a plasma screen.

I tipped him 10 bucks, and told him thank you. He tried to give it back, and said he wasn't supposed to accept tips. I told him I wouldn't tell if he wouldn't. :)

Walmart... (hell every business) needs more employees like that. Very rare these days.

I've found that the Wal-Mart experience varies greatly between individual stores. There's one very close to my place that I can't stand. Aside from the fact that it's constantly overrun with "white trash" and their Hispanic equivalents, the employees are rude and unhelpful, and the place is always a gigantic mess.

If I drive an extra five minutes to another store less than 5 miles away, the experience is completely different. It's crowded still, but the people are more polite, the employees are generally friendly and helpful, and they have it cleaned up really well - at least when you first get there in the morning.

I usually just spend the extra gas and drive to the other one if I need to go.

cdcox
07-15-2008, 09:49 PM
I've walked out more than once over long or slow checkout lines. Leave the cart or the basket right there and just walk. What pisses me off more than anything is that they have 4 self check out lines but NEVER have more that 2 active. It's like the flunky they have assisting people can't handle more than two lanes. Meanwhile at Kroger, one person keeps 6 self checkout lines humming. I don't have any qualms about shopping with anyone. No body is trash as far as I'm concerned. Everyone needs to buy stuff. But I won't tolerate slow service when I want to give you my money.

KcMizzou
07-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Come to think of it, I should call and tell a manager about that. (Everything other than the tip, of course) I remember his name was Vernon.

A little posititve feedback for a good employee goes a long way.

Valiant
07-15-2008, 09:52 PM
I've found that the Wal-Mart experience varies greatly between individual stores. There's one very close to my place that I can't stand. Aside from the fact that it's constantly overrun with "white trash" and their Hispanic equivalents, the employees are rude and unhelpful, and the place is always a gigantic mess.

If I drive an extra five minutes to another store less than 5 miles away, the experience is completely different. It's crowded still, but the people are more polite, the employees are generally friendly and helpful, and they have it cleaned up really well - at least when you first get there in the morning.

I usually just spend the extra gas and drive to the other one if I need to go.

Different part of town?? Are the people nicer because the area is nicer??

I was downtown and had to go to the bathroom.. Not a single ****ing place even if I bought a candy bar would let me use their facility.. They do not have public bathrooms, that and the door was a pad locked steel door..

Up north it rains candy and free shitters..

RJ
07-15-2008, 09:54 PM
But I won't tolerate slow service when I want to give you my money.

Yep, nothing pisses me off more than when I have to wait to give someone my money.

Thig Lyfe
07-15-2008, 09:56 PM

I may go to Wal-Mart because it's convenient, but that doesn't mean I don't feel my soul being sucked from my body whenever I'm in there.

DaFace
07-15-2008, 09:56 PM

I was downtown and had to go to the bathroom.. Not a single ****ing place even if I bought a candy bar would let me use their facility.. They do not have public bathrooms, that and the door was a pad locked steel door..

Yep...the area is nicer. I'd say that 60% of the issue is under management's control at the "bad" store (not enough lanes open, unfriendly employees, etc.). The other 40% that I don't like is simply because of the people at the store.

Valiant
07-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Yep, nothing pisses me off more than when I have to wait to give someone my money.

What I ****ing hate is ignorant ****s in front of me always writing checks.. But that is not what chaps my ass.. It is the ****ing fact that they wait till everything is rang up to whip it out and do it.. They do not even start writing the name and date while the checker is ringing them up.. Then when I get up there, their slow asses are still standing there bewildered on what to do next.. IT is called move your ****ing ass so I can pay and leave..

Jewish Rabbi
07-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Come to think of it, I should call and tell a manager about that. (Everything other than the tip, of course) I remember his name was Vernon.

Please do. I work in a grocery store, and people tell me what a good employee I am all the time. I know damn well that I'm a good employee, tell my boss that so I can get a raise!

Valiant
07-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Yep...the area is nicer. I'd say that 60% of the issue is under management's control at the "bad" store (not enough lanes open, unfriendly employees, etc.). The other 40% that I don't like is simply because of the people at the store.

Problem is their employee pool is probably those worthless people.. That or no one is applying to work at a shitty store, make 7dollars and hour and then deal with their trashy counterparts..

cdcox
07-15-2008, 10:00 PM
I may go to Wal-Mart because it's convenient, but that doesn't mean I don't feel my soul being sucked from my body whenever I'm in there.

I just don't get this POV. I feel much worse when I pay much more for stuff than I think it is worth. When I cave in and pay more for something than I think it's worth, that is when I feel the soul being sucked from my body. Never had that feeling at Wally World.

KcMizzou
07-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Please do. I work in a grocery store, and people tell me what a good employee I am all the time. I know damn well that I'm a good employee, tell my boss that so I can get a raise!Amen, will do. LMAO

I had a customer call my boss one time, to compliment me. He put out a memo describing what happened, and how i helped the guy out.

That was about two years ago, and I still get some good natured crap for it. "Teacher's pet" etc.

There's nothin' bad about being helpful. I'll go out of my way to help out a friendly customer, esp. if they're in a bad spot.

Thankfully, though (on the other side of things).. where I work... I can raise the price for a prick.

cdcox
07-15-2008, 10:06 PM
What I ****ing hate is ignorant ****s in front of me always writing checks.. But that is not what chaps my ass.. It is the ****ing fact that they wait till everything is rang up to whip it out and do it.. They do not even start writing the name and date while the checker is ringing them up.. Then when I get up there, their slow asses are still standing there bewildered on what to do next.. IT is called move your ****ing ass so I can pay and leave..

Yep. When ever I am in line, I start analyzing each tiny movement of the cashier and the customer to figure out why in hell there is a line in the first place. Every false move and my blood pressure goes up. Nothing pisses me off more than when someone has to look at the bar code before the scan the item. What the hell is the purpose of that? Do you possess the ability to read the bar code? Just scan it already. Pulling the item from the cart scanning it, and putting it in the bag is one continuous motion.

I always feel somewhat vindicated when I check my items and pay for them and still beat the person in front of me out the parking lot. F'n slack-jawed mouth breathers.

Count Zarth
07-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Wal Mart is ****ing awesome. Lots of hot chicks go in there. Slutty ones, too.

Deberg_1990
07-15-2008, 10:07 PM
I just don't get this POV. I feel much worse when I pay much more for stuff than I think it is worth. When I cave in and pay more for something than I think it's worth, that is when I feel the soul being sucked from my body. Never had that feeling at Wally World.

Im my area, Wal Mart always has the cheapest gas. You can always get .03 cents a gallon cheaper to if you go inside and buy the wal mart card and just put whatever amount you want to pay for gas on it.

RJ
07-15-2008, 10:14 PM

No explanation for why this is but I only see women do that. They look really surprised when the cashier finishes, like it had never occurred to them that they'd have to pay. Then they begin the process of fishing through the purse for a check book and a pen...........WTF do these people not have a check card and WTF are they so shocked at having to pay for their purchases?

Valiant
07-15-2008, 10:15 PM
No explanation for why this is but I only see women do that. They look really surprised when the cashier finishes, like it had never occurred to them that they'd have to pay. Then they begin the process of fishing through the purse for a check book and a pen...........WTF do these people not have a check card and WTF are they so shocked at having to pay for their purchases?

LOL. I usually beat them out the door..

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-15-2008, 10:21 PM

That's the way it works here too, the one on the more affluent western edge of the city is very nice and the people are more friendly and helpful, I think it's because most of the employees there are high school and college kids as opposed to the ones in the more economically depressed parts of town where the employees are lifers who hate their jobs.

It probably has something to do with vagrants. Years ago I worked at a Domino's Pizza in downtown Omaha and those people would come in and use the bathrooms and they would often stay in there for a ridiculous amount of time and leave the place a mess. I think they were pretty much using them as a place to "bathe" and as a place to hang out in the A/C for a while. I can't blame any business owner for wanting to prevent that.

beavis
07-15-2008, 10:23 PM
I want to know how people in Washington state survived before 1992.

Buehler445
07-15-2008, 10:34 PM

Do it. I got great service from my buddy that worked at Applebee's and submited feedback online and he said their regional called down and gave him congrats and said he got all sorts of love from his boss.

It can't hurt.

Valiant
07-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Do it. I got great service from my buddy that worked at Applebee's and submited feedback online and he said their regional called down and gave him congrats and said he got all sorts of love from his boss.

It can't hurt.

Yeah writing letters to corporate CEO's is a great way also.. Everyplace has some sort of trickle down system.. IF you write a good letter about the employee, he will get the credit and so will all of his bosses..

It is lame that they will get credit also, but it ensures he does get recognized..

KcMizzou
07-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I'll call tomorrow.

The guy deserves a pat on the back, at least.

DJay23
07-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Hell, the state of PA didn't get one until '91. I moved here in '93. I knew the Wal Mart where I live was new when I moved here, but didn't realize "Wal Mart" was new here.

I grew up in Leavenworth where we had a Wal Mart as far back as I can remember. Seems weird that I live in a place now that had none until I turned 14.

beavis
07-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Hell, the state of PA didn't get one until '91. I moved here in '93. I knew the Wal Mart where I live was new when I moved here, but didn't realize "Wal Mart" was new here.

I grew up in Leavenworth where we had a Wal Mart as far back as I can remember. Seems weird that I live in a place now that had none until I turned 14.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I don't remember the world sans Wal-Mart

Pitt Gorilla
07-15-2008, 11:16 PM
I like how everyone hates on Wal Mart but nearly everyone shops there at least once a week.Not me.

Jayhawkerman2001
07-16-2008, 12:27 AM

I've taken a stance against walmart. I will not shop there anymore and havent for almost a year now. I force my wife not to as well. They don't deserve a dime of our money.

I used to work for them and got fired after 2 years. Not too sure why, but I'm guessing it was because I was talking with somebody in the break room about the union and how much it sucked without one there. They said it was because too late too often, yet I hadn't been late for a very long time...

God I fooking hate that piece of shit company. Not only for firing me for no reason, but for the way they do their business. They are just a horrible company.

Jayhawkerman2001
07-16-2008, 12:35 AM

You're one of THOSE customers eh? This instance isn't all that bad though. We had some dumbasses that buy some massive shit and drive up in their tiny mother ****ing cars to take it home...

acesn8s
07-16-2008, 01:51 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159606

Think you can you tell what I think about Walmart?

Subterranean Alien
07-16-2008, 02:15 AM
Target is a lot better than Mao-Mart.

Skip Towne
07-16-2008, 06:52 AM
I hate waiting in the long lines at checkout. It's as if they figure out how many lanes to open then open two less than that.

Frosty
07-16-2008, 07:44 AM

We had lots of neat little family-run shops.

Long gone now. :(

Old Dog
07-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Target is a lot better than Mao-Mart.

I see a handfull of folks that prefer Target to Wal-Mart. I won't ever shop in Target again, for one, and only one reason.

I was doing some fund raising for a miltary event once upon a time and was told at Target that, The only "charities" they were allowed to support (IE give free shit to for door prizes and such) was something or other about a Gay and Lesbian Alliance.

OK, you can support them, but can't support the military folks.....got it.

I'm never going in there again. FWIW, I've relayed that story to numerous other military (or former ones) that won't shop there again either.

Skip Towne
07-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Go to walmartsucks.org for some good stories.

Fish
07-16-2008, 10:13 AM
TG&Y will make a comeback..........

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2008, 10:28 AM

You should. Could get him a raise?

gblowfish
07-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Some of my family is from Arkansas, and I remember shopping at one of the very first Wal Marts back in the mid 1970s. It blew up and went crazy starting in the early 1980's.

Wal Mart was a big deal because they were a lot cheaper than K-Mart, Sears, Pennys or Wards (their main competition) and really put a hurt on little stores like TG&Y, Pamida, Mattingly's, etc.

Wal-Mart is the most litigeous (most sued) business in America.

Rain Man
07-16-2008, 11:14 AM

It can't hurt.

Instead of rep, we should all do this for each other. Like someone's post? Write a complimentary letter to their boss. We'll all be living in mansions in a couple of years.

joesomebody
07-16-2008, 11:17 AM
I see a handfull of folks that prefer Target to Wal-Mart. I won't ever shop in Target again, for one, and only one reason.

I was doing some fund raising for a miltary event once upon a time and was told at Target that, The only "charities" they were allowed to support (IE give free shit to for door prizes and such) was something or other about a Gay and Lesbian Alliance.

I'm never going in there again. FWIW, I've relayed that story to numerous other military (or former ones) that won't shop there again either.
Maybe at the Target you went to (San Fransico is about the only place I can think of that would only give to gay/lesbian stuff), but I worked at Target in Liberty for a year at guest services and we gave to all types of organizations, but mostly community stuff like schools, habitat for humanity, local parks and rec, etc. I know that most companies like Wal-Mart/Target/Lowe's etc. only give donations once or twice a year. Target took apps for fundraising year round, reviewed them and then donated at the end of each fiscal quarter or so.

When I had to do fundraising for military events I found that Lowe's always donated and Home Depot would once I said Lowe's did. Also local businesses are the best bet for military stuff in my experience.

Hydrae
07-16-2008, 11:42 AM

A very simliar type of store chain up there called Fred Meyer.

For those of you old enough to remember the early Steve Martin stuff, they had a bank in Fred Meyers. I always laughed about "Fred's bank." ROFL

RJ
07-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Target stores are cleaner, better organized, easier to shop and all with prices just as good as Walmart, IMO. I only shop at Walmart if I can't find the same product elsewhere. It's not a political statement, I just don't like shopping there. I always feel annoyed when I leave.

Frosty
07-16-2008, 12:48 PM
A very simliar type of store chain up there called Fred Meyer.

For those of you old enough to remember the early Steve Martin stuff, they had a bank in Fred Meyers. I always laughed about "Fred's bank." ROFL

Fred Meyer = Kroger

They still have banks in them but they are all branches of outside banks (I believe US Bank, but not sure).

Dartgod
07-16-2008, 12:51 PM

This sounds vaguely familiar... :hmmm:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

RJ
07-16-2008, 01:19 PM
LOL Dartgod, I do recall that story making the rounds. Thanks for sharing.

Pitt Gorilla
07-16-2008, 01:27 PM

OK, you can support them, but can't support the military folks.....got it.Liar.

Gonzo
07-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Feeding the corporate giant....

------------------------------------------------------

I worked a late night a few months back and needed to stop somewhere for office supplies. I'll preaface before going further, I fuc*ing hate Wal-Mart.

Being the only place available, I decided that it wouldn't be so bad, 0200 in the morning, soccer mom's and meth-heads are at home right?

Upon entry I hear it....

Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...

Feeding the corporate Giant.

Beep...Beep...

I look around, it might have well been two p.m. on a Saturday. It was packed. I wondered why but did not ask any questions.

I arrived in the office supply section to pick up a print cartrage and some paper for a mobile printer, it was in stock. Sweet!
I ran for the door, check out lines were managable. Not too shabby I thought.
The whole time I kept hearing the loud speaker, Customer Service needed in Layaway.

No one was going to help this poor bastard. Probably put the kids diapers on layaway.

Arrived at the line, looked around to see what people were buying:
The guy in front of me was buying flowers and a balloon. Not just any balloon but a happy valentines day balloon. I looked down and noticed my watch. It was the 14th of Feb.

That explained it. I look ant the guy ahead of him, he was buying a teddy bear for his daughter. Awww....How sweet. I puked a little and kept scanning the store. The girl in the line to my right was buying a 6-pack of shasta and a pair of sunglasses. I thought to myself, "What an odd purchase at 0200." Then I noticed it, Monistat. Poor thing...the sunglasses and Shasta were cover-up purchases for her itchiness.

I giggled a little and went back to scanning. I noticed that there were like 12 lanes open. All had a line of people in it. WTF??

Oh-well, eventually you tune out the beeping and start listening to the music on the p.a. system. "Sky Rockets in flight, afternoon delight!"I start looking at all the sale items placed by the register for impulse buyers. Of course I need some gum, a light up pen and a deck of cards, why the hell not!?

Then it began, my slow but eventual drift into mega-Wal Mart senility. It's scary at first but then you are embraced by the warmth of the Super Wal Mart.

My name is Gonzo, I am a Wal-Mart Junkie. Been Clean for 3 months now.

"Hi Gonzo!"

Dallas Chief
07-16-2008, 03:15 PM
I work for a Wal-Mart supplier and visit their headquarters frequently. They are like any other company, they have both good and bad people. I have yet to run into any of the "Tough Negotiators" you so often hear about, though it just may be the industry I'm in. They are pretty much down to earth, home spun people trained in the Wal-Mart way. Nowhere near the creeps I've dealt with at some other retailers, i.e. Best Buy etc...

Luke
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
:evil:This map seems very similar to the map used in The Andromeda Strain. I worked for wal-Mart back when ole Sam was alive, sucked then too. If you will notice the new "rollback" commercials no longer show prices, the reason being the "rollback" amounts that used to be shown were unrealistic.

Also a sore point is David Glass'es ruination of the KC Royals.

Old Dog
07-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Liar.

The store is in Manhattan, KS. You can think what you want. Had never seen anything about it anywhere else (or heard it either Dartgod). I'm just telling you what happened.
Not second hand info. This actually happened TO ME.

I'll never set foot in another target store as long as I live.

Valiant
07-16-2008, 04:54 PM
You're one of THOSE customers eh? This instance isn't all that bad though. We had some dumbasses that buy some massive shit and drive up in their tiny mother ****ing cars to take it home...

LOL, I was waiting in line at NFM because I bought a washer and dryer.. The guys bring out a full bedroom package(Like seven boxes, big boxes).. And the customer thinks he will get it all in.. He is telling them it will fit, or they can strap it on top(s10 like small suv)..After watching him for a good ten minutes they manage to get one box in.. The guy starts yelling at them because he has to drive back numerous times.. I am shaking my head laughing at the idiot.. My washer and dryer come up to my truck.. I just laugh at the incident with my loaders and they tell me they get idiots like that many times a day..

I take my washer and dryer home in my extended cab Dooley..

Old Dog
07-16-2008, 04:55 PM
This sounds vaguely familiar... :hmmm:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

WOW!!! LMAO

My only thought is that the store manager to which I spoke about a donation HAD gotten this E-mail and believed it. I had never heard of this before.

Valiant
07-16-2008, 04:56 PM

Lots of companies now are forced to do that shit by corporate.. Heaven forbid you let the individual stores give out money instead of bankrolling some boardmembers charity for extra clout..

KCCHIEFS27
07-16-2008, 05:12 PM
How about the growth of McDonald's...
http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=683

MTG#10
07-16-2008, 05:20 PM
This thing isnt accurate at all for Springfield. Its showing only two Wal-Marts but we really have 5.

Rain Man
07-16-2008, 07:21 PM
I lived in Rogers, Arkansas, for a year or so as a young child, and my mom shopped at one of the really early Wal-Marts. Now, though, I appear to be one of ten people in the U.S. who does not have a Wal-Mart convenient to me. I've been there twice in the past 15 years, and one of those was when I was driving across Kansas.

Pitt Gorilla
07-16-2008, 09:05 PM
The store is in Manhattan, KS. You can think what you want. Had never seen anything about it anywhere else (or heard it either Dartgod). I'm just telling you what happened.
Not second hand info. This actually happened TO ME.

I'll never set foot in another target store as long as I live.That is not Target's policy. I've heard other people claim that crap only to be busted as well (and admit they were lying). What motivates you people?

KcMizzou
07-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Update:

I did call that guy's boss today. Told him how he helped me out... and that I was in customer service too, and you usually only hear about the bad stuff.

He said, "That's awesome. Vernon's actually one of my guys... he's been fantastic. I'll be sure to congratulate him on a job well done."

Made me feel good.

DaFace
07-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Instead of rep, we should all do this for each other. Like someone's post? Write a complimentary letter to their boss. We'll all be living in mansions in a couple of years.

So you're saying that you'll give me a raise if I get a bunch of people from the Planet to write you a letter? :)

KcMizzou
07-16-2008, 09:11 PM
So you're saying that you'll give me a raise if I get a bunch of people from the Planet to write you a letter?I'm on it.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-16-2008, 10:02 PM
So you're saying that you'll give me a raise if I get a bunch of people from the Planet to write you a letter? :)

I sent him a PM letting him know what a great job you are doing moderating the Planet.

Rain Man
07-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Unfortunately, it won't work in your case. Your boss is way too smart for that.

Well, unless the letter comes from KCMizzou, in which case I would think it has to be valid.

dorseybowe
07-16-2008, 10:42 PM
I was surprised that they really didn't start hitting the coasts until the early 90s.

Mojo Rising
07-16-2008, 11:21 PM
I lived in Rogers, Arkansas, for a year or so as a young child, and my mom shopped at one of the really early Wal-Marts. Now, though, I appear to be one of ten people in the U.S. who does not have a Wal-Mart convenient to me. I've been there twice in the past 15 years, and one of those was when I was driving across Kansas.

There are more than 10. There are no Wal-Marts in SF or on the Peninsula. The closest is in Oakland (more than 20-30 minutes away.) That is more than 1m people in that range.

We have Target and I go there frequently.

dorseybowe
07-16-2008, 11:30 PM
There are more than 10. There are no Wal-Marts in SF or on the Peninsula. The closest is in Oakland (more than 20-30 minutes away.) That is more than 1m people in that range.

We have Target and I go there frequently.

Why hasn't Wal-Mart became prominent on the coasts?

KcMizzou
07-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Unfortunately, it won't work in your case. Your boss is way too smart for that.

Well, unless the letter comes from KCMizzou, in which case I would think it has to be valid.Clearly, you give me way too much credit.

KCCHIEFS27
07-17-2008, 01:18 AM
You think the customers have there soul's sucked out and get treated like crap? Try working there..it's 100 times worse..used to be an employee when I was younger..but now, if you don't shop at CostCo. or are unlucky enough to not have one near you I feel sorry for you..

JuicesFlowing
07-17-2008, 02:12 AM
I would like to see the global growth. I wonder how many countries are "infected" by Wal-Mart ....

Guru
07-17-2008, 04:27 AM
I've walked out more than once over long or slow checkout lines. Leave the cart or the basket right there and just walk. What pisses me off more than anything is that they have 4 self check out lines but NEVER have more that 2 active. It's like the flunky they have assisting people can't handle more than two lanes. Meanwhile at Kroger, one person keeps 6 self checkout lines humming. I don't have any qualms about shopping with anyone. No body is trash as far as I'm concerned. Everyone needs to buy stuff. But I won't tolerate slow service when I want to give you my money.

I just want to shoot myself whenever I go there. Doesn't matter what time of day it is or how many people are shopping there. THE CHECKOUT STANDS ARE ALWAYS UNDERSTAFFED!!!

No matter what!!!

Never considered just walking out and leaving my groceries though. Seems like more of a punishment on yourself than the store. I mean, you did all that work loading the cart up. Now you have to go somewhere else and do it all again.

One time, and one time only, I did get an OUTSTANDING checkout girl. I let her know how much I appreciated how efficient she was.

Guru
07-17-2008, 04:36 AM
I hate waiting in the long lines at checkout. It's as if they figure out how many lanes to open then open two less than that.

I was just saying something similar to a customer in front of me last Sunday. :thumb:

Guru
07-17-2008, 04:43 AM
Clearly, you give me way too much credit.

Now there is an understatement.