PDA

View Full Version : Royals All Star Game Announcers (Soria related)

Anyong Bluth
07-16-2008, 08:28 AM
How can you be considered the top broadcasting tandem in Baseball and not have a clue at all about All-Star players.

Buck and McCarver seriously did everything in their power to fill dead air time by talking about anything else but Soria when he was pitching. I counted about 4-5 total comments they made about Soria in his 1 and 2/3 innings pitched, and all they did comment on was the game action. No background information, no insight. Nothing about the fact he's 4th in the AL in saves- ON THE ROYALS, or mentioning what types of pitches he throws.

Hell, when he was throwing some nasty pitches, including that curve that got Uggla's knees to buckle, and all they say the entire time was Buck mentioning that Soria's curve has quite a bit of movement on that pitch.

You could hear people in the crowd reacting to a number of Soria's throws. Seriously, when he was tossing some of his nasty pitches, go back and watch, you can clearly hear a number of people in the crowd reacting to it.

Bottom line: if you're supposed to be the top dogs and broadcasting the All-Star game, you have no excuse for not knowing every player. Hell, you should simply be knowledgable of these players if you're really at the top of your game and want to have any clue what you're talking about when doing a game and having a good judgment of a team / player's level of talent vs others in the league

dj56dt58
07-16-2008, 08:33 AM
if his team wasnt a joke maybe they would care more? they really didnt say that much more about most of the players..

who cares about what the announcers say/dont say/think/whatever?

Fish
07-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah... I like how that numbskull Buck said something like "You know a curveball is a pitch that curves when it crosses the plate."

WTF? No shit? McNasty just ripped one that started in a different zip code, and all you can say is a curveball curves?

Those commentators were really terrible....

Mecca
07-16-2008, 08:36 AM
It's for 1 simple reason, all they are there to do is appeal to the big markets that get them their ratings, most people watching that game could give 2 shits about Joakim Soria.

Deberg_1990
07-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Maybe if the Royals had done something in the past 23 years they might get more run??

Probably not want alot of fans want to hear but thats reality.

dj56dt58
07-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Soria is a damn good pitcher and the people that it matters to knows..

Demonpenz
07-16-2008, 08:50 AM
So some duchebags didn't talk about how short soria shaves his pubes. there are bigger things to get pissed about

DaKCMan AP
07-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Can't believe stuff like this actually bothers people..

Mecca
07-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Can't believe stuff like this actually bothers people..

People in this town have an inferiority complex to a huge degree.

StcChief
07-16-2008, 09:05 AM
People in this town have an inferiority complex to a huge degree.they all wanna be STL, and STL wants to be Chicago :rolleyes:

Mecca
07-16-2008, 09:07 AM
You can't deny the complex, no matter what it is there's always shit about how KC is getting slighted for other markets.

How many the Chiefs get no respect threads have been on here since 03?

Saggysack
07-16-2008, 09:15 AM
if his team wasnt a joke maybe they would care more? they really didnt say that much more about most of the players..

who cares about what the announcers say/dont say/think/whatever?

Ah, but using what the Royals have/haven't done as a way to not commend the players performance is a sorry excuse. The All Star game isn't about the teams. It's about the players.

Der Flöprer
07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
How can you be considered the top broadcasting tandem in Baseball and not have a clue at all about All-Star players.

Buck and McCarver seriously did everything in their power to fill dead air time by talking about anything else but Soria when he was pitching. I counted about 4-5 total comments they made about Soria in his 1 and 2/3 innings pitched, and all they did comment on was the game action. No background information, no insight. Nothing about the fact he's 4th in the AL in saves- ON THE ROYALS, or mentioning what types of pitches he throws.

Hell, when he was throwing some nasty pitches, including that curve that got Uggla's knees to buckle, and all they say the entire time was Buck mentioning that Soria's curve has quite a bit of movement on that pitch.

You could hear people in the crowd reacting to a number of Soria's throws. Seriously, when he was tossing some of his nasty pitches, go back and watch, you can clearly hear a number of people in the crowd reacting to it.

Bottom line: if you're supposed to be the top dogs and broadcasting the All-Star game, you have no excuse for not knowing every player. Hell, you should simply be knowledgable of these players if you're really at the top of your game and want to have any clue what you're talking about when doing a game and having a good judgment of a team / player's level of talent vs others in the league

If there's sand in your vag and you know it start a thread.

If there's sand in your vag and you know it start a thread.

RockChalk
07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Eh, I can understand why he might be upset about this. If you were watching the game, the only thing that Buck and McCarver talked about during Soria's 1.2 innings was the fact that the game might end in a tie and what would Selig do about it.

Now in the inning prior to Soria coming in, Rivera was pitching and both announcers were literally fighting each other to suck Rivera's c*ck. Over and over again we got to hear about what a great cutter he has and how he was seen showing Halladay and Kazmir how to grip it earlier in the day. Anyone who follows baseball knows that Rivera is great and that he throws one pitch and throws it well.

Now Soria was someone that most baseball fans out of the KC area probably have no clue about. He's got a very good story (Rule #5, one of few Mexico-born successful MLB palyers) and was out there just throwing filthy nasty stuff and didn't even get a mention.

I wasn't upset or angered about it, but I do think that good announcers would have spent a little bit of time telling their viewing audience about him. But then again, I think we all know that Buck and McCarver are about as bad as it gets when it comes to watching baseball on FOX

Extra Point
07-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Buck said "Saywer" was doing a good job. What a dork, but a high-paid dork.

markk
07-16-2008, 09:23 AM
why does everyone here complain about announcers so much? it's buck and mccarver or miller and morgan or packer or anyone else. every announcing crew is universally hated. everyone is supposedly biased against kansas city...

i didnt think they slighted him, they just weren't talking for 20 consecutive minutes about how awesome he is, that isnt good enough though i guess.

Deberg_1990
07-16-2008, 09:26 AM
You can't deny the complex, no matter what it is there's always shit about how KC is getting slighted for other markets.

How many the Chiefs get no respect threads have been on here since 03?

Id be willing to bet alot of cities get the inferiority complex outside of LA and New York.

In San Antonio, all they talk about is how bad the Spurs get slighted in the national media and they are a true Dynasty.

Cities with small TV markets and followings will always get slighted. Thats just the way it is. Get over it.

eazyb81
07-16-2008, 09:26 AM
People in this town have an inferiority complex to a huge degree.

I don't think it has to do with that at all. In this case, it's an annoyance with how the announcers seem to pander to people who don't even follow baseball, rather than true fans.

Earlier in the game, they made a comment about Dan Uggla saying something like "this is probably a guy you've never heard of". WTF? Who follows baseball and doesn't know who Dan Uggla is? Just because he doesn't play in NY or Boston, that means people don't know him? At what point do they start telling us a batter has to have three strikes to be out?

Fairplay
07-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Not as an excuse but Buck mentioned that one of the announcers for the game, i forgot who it was.....?

Had the stomach flu and Buck was a last minute replacement.

markk
07-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Not as an excuse but Buck mentioned that one of the announcers for the game, i forgot who it was.....?

buck and mccarver have called like 10 all star games in a row. :doh!:

Rooster
07-16-2008, 09:37 AM
At what point do they start telling us a batter has to have three strikes to be out?

ROFLROFL Next year.

RockChalk
07-16-2008, 09:38 AM

the guy with the stomach flu was NL pitcher Lincecum :spock:

beavis
07-16-2008, 09:52 AM
they all wanna be STL, and STL wants to be Chicago :rolleyes:

If that's what you tards want to believe.

Anyong Bluth
07-16-2008, 09:56 AM
WOW!

First off. There's no Sand in my VAG. (Mr. Flopnuts)

I don't have an inferiority complex. I live in Chicago, and am proud as can be of my KC roots. I wear Royals, Chiefs, KU and other KC related stuff all the time, and am more than happy to stick up for my teams- in spite of their less than stellar success (Chiefs as of late, and Royals for some time) I'm not some retard fan, and most of the time, especially when I have my Royals hat on, the only people that will comment on it are big baseball fans, that usually want to talk serious baseball. I'm assuming they figure if I'm rocking a Royals hat I must really be a baseball fan or mildly retarded. About 90% of the time, the comment that will come out of their mouth at some point in the conversation was: " I used to love watching the Royals back in the day." " I loved rooting for them, since they were the only team that constantly battled the Yankees "

It's really quite amazing at the number of people that used to like the Royals and their players- even if it wasn't their 1st team, they rooted for them and liked them because all the guys on the Royals were easy to root for, I guess.

I can promise you this isn't a thread built out of some inferiority complex. If you knew anything about me, that's not a description anyone that knows me would ever use- but I'm aware KC has some of that. (Mecca)

My complaint lies not with the Royals relevance (dj56dt58, Deberg) and I'm hardly pissed (DemonPenz) This is more of an observation, and I thought worth bringing up since this time of year tends to be slower on here ( DaKCman AP).

Lastly, I hate St Louis. I never want to be anything like that shitshack of a town. No reason to want to emulate a city that has the highest incidents of Syphilis and Chlamydia in the nation. (StcChief)

Let me better clarify. Soria was simply an example about my point. IF you're the top dog in your line of work, you should know / be familiar with every player in the All Star game- at the very least. Whitlock's article brought up this point sort of- don't you want the guys doing the game to actually have some insight into the game?

For example, remember 2 years ago when ESPN's 2nd crew for the Sunday night football game to start the season was Jaws, Vermeil and someone else? That was one of the best broadcasting lineups I've ever heard for a game. Great insight and actually offered some information that was telling of their knowledge of the game.

I don't expect Buck to talk about this when he does NFL broadcasting. First, he's too busy fixated on Aikmen's crotch, and he grew up a baseball guy. He should have a better base of knowledge than he displayed last night.

McCarver - clearly the guy is done. He's so old now that he's mailing it in, because your former player / color guy should definitely have more to add than his shitty comments.

Is it absurd to expect Fox to have a better standard. They do it for the NFL with their studio guys- not to mention Strahan coming on board with Jimmy, Terry, & Howie. These guys know their shit and make watching more enjoyable. Bilas does this for college basketball- Gottlieb does too, to a lesser degree. Fox can't find someone to pair with Buck at least that's better? BULLSHIT!

Relate it to your job. For example if you sold 800 or so products and you weren't familiar with your top 50 selling products enough to answer a customers most basic of questions- are you really doing your f*cking job? I don't expect them to have the full story on everyone. What I'm saying is that they are doing less than, IMO, the bare minimum in terms of preparation if they can't offer even 1 insight on every player in an All Star game.

Agree or Disagree- maybe I just hold a different standard in what I consider being professional. Not to mention, they are considered the top guys, not the Ian Eagle & Solomon Wilcox D team.

WilliamTheIrish
07-16-2008, 09:57 AM
It's pretty simple. McCarver has been awful for a long time. His time came and went many moons ago.

I had the TV up and the radio broadcast coming through the speakers. They talked quite a bit about Soria causing Uggla to genuflect to his his Mexican savior.

As far as the announcers "sucking Rivera's c*ck": What did you expect them to do? The game is in Yankee Stadium, the stadium is going to be blown up after the season and he's the greatest closer the game has ever seen.

I'd think you would kind of expect them to fawn over Rivera in that situation.

Demonpenz
07-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Soria is fine and all but he plays on a horrible franchise with another bad team this year. It's fine by me if they just describe his pitching instead of giving us. Soria is a bright spot on another losing season.

Fairplay
07-16-2008, 10:10 AM
That was a good speech Cocina_Basement.

Honestly.

StcChief
07-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Good speech... I guess you missed my :rolleyes: I would NOT live in STL. and I don't. just close enough to be far. the ride on Metrolink to game on July 1st was reminder enough......

McCarver has gone done quit a bit, Joe Buck should be on his game after all he left STL to do other National broadcasts.....

Demonpenz
07-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I guess buck could have talked about how soria would have one less loss if the royals could exacute a rundown properly

Bweb
07-16-2008, 10:36 AM
WOW!

I don't have an inferiority complex. I live in Chicago, and am proud as can be of my KC roots. I wear Royals, Chiefs, KU and other KC related stuff all the time, and am more than happy to stick up for my teams- in spite of their less than stellar success (Chiefs as of late, and Royals for some time) I'm not some retard fan, and most of the time, especially when I have my Royals hat on, the only people that will comment on it are big baseball fans, that usually want to talk serious baseball. I'm assuming they figure if I'm rocking a Royals hat I must really be a baseball fan or mildly retarded. About 90% of the time, the comment that will come out of their mouth at some point in the conversation was: " I used to love watching the Royals back in the day." " I loved rooting for them, since they were the only team that constantly battled the Yankees "

It's really quite amazing at the number of people that used to like the Royals and their players- even if it wasn't their 1st team, they rooted for them and liked them because all the guys on the Royals were easy to root for, I guess.

I can promise you this isn't a thread built out of some inferiority complex. If you knew anything about me, that's not a description anyone that knows me would ever use- but I'm aware KC has some of that. (Mecca)

My complaint lies not with the Royals relevance (dj56dt58, Deberg) and I'm hardly pissed (DemonPenz) This is more of an observation, and I thought worth bringing up since this time of year tends to be slower on here ( DaKCman AP).

Lastly, I hate St Louis. I never want to be anything like that shitshack of a town. No reason to want to emulate a city that has the highest incidents of Syphilis and Chlamydia in the nation. (StcChief)

Let me better clarify. Soria was simply an example about my point. IF you're the top dog in your line of work, you should know / be familiar with every player in the All Star game- at the very least. Whitlock's article brought up this point sort of- don't you want the guys doing the game to actually have some insight into the game?

For example, remember 2 years ago when ESPN's 2nd crew for the Sunday night football game to start the season was Jaws, Vermeil and someone else? That was one of the best broadcasting lineups I've ever heard for a game. Great insight and actually offered some information that was telling of their knowledge of the game.

I don't expect Buck to talk about this when he does NFL broadcasting. First, he's too busy fixated on Aikmen's crotch, and he grew up a baseball guy. He should have a better base of knowledge than he displayed last night.

McCarver - clearly the guy is done. He's so old now that he's mailing it in, because your former player / color guy should definitely have more to add than his shitty comments.

Is it absurd to expect Fox to have a better standard. They do it for the NFL with their studio guys- not to mention Strahan coming on board with Jimmy, Terry, & Howie. These guys know their shit and make watching more enjoyable. Bilas does this for college basketball- Gottlieb does too, to a lesser degree. Fox can't find someone to pair with Buck at least that's better? BULLSHIT!

Relate it to your job. For example if you sold 800 or so products and you weren't familiar with your top 50 selling products enough to answer a customers most basic of questions- are you really doing your f*cking job? I don't expect them to have the full story on everyone. What I'm saying is that they are doing less than, IMO, the bare minimum in terms of preparation if they can't offer even 1 insight on every player in an All Star game.

Agree or Disagree- maybe I just hold a different standard in what I consider being professional. Not to mention, they are considered the top guys, not the Ian Eagle & Solomon Wilcox D team.

Lighten up Francis.........

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2008, 11:18 AM

Next off, Im going to spout off 1500 words telling you how my vag isn't the slight bit sandy.

RockChalk
07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
As far as the announcers "sucking Rivera's c*ck": What did you expect them to do? The game is in Yankee Stadium, the stadium is going to be blown up after the season and he's the greatest closer the game has ever seen.

Yes I did expect them to do that, but it didn't have to go on for 20 minutes.

RJ
07-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes, it's surprising they couldn't fill a couple of innings with interesting Soria anecdotes.

Seriously, the guy is an exceptionally good closer right now but how much is there to say about him? I'm on at least five different baseball sites every day and I really can't recall reading anything about him other than the fact he's pitching well, which of course is why he's there in the first place.

RJ
07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes I did expect them to do that, but it didn't have to go on for 20 minutes.

I hate the Yankees and all things Yankee related but how could you really expect anything different? Last night was their party and I have to grudingly admit they've earned that over the past 80 or so years.

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Me, personally... I was just happy to see a Royals Player... PLAY in the game, and not make any Uggla plays.

Anyong Bluth
07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Lighten up Francis.........

Next off, Im going to spout off 1500 words telling you how my vag isn't the slight bit sandy.

Am I not effectively communicating the fact that this isn't something that I'm up in arms about? I'm sorry if my last post was too long and words hurt your head, just wanted to properly address the blowback I got for posting the topic.

This isn't the end of the world... like I said, slow time on the Planet and I thought it was a worthy topic.

Clearly, I should stick to reading the Chicks dig dudes on bikes and trikes threads. :drool:

If you don't want to read my long diatribe, then don't f*cking read it.

Hugs and kisses, ya bitches! Love :grouphug:

- SandyfreeVag Francis :dom:

smittysbar
07-16-2008, 11:51 AM
It's pretty simple. McCarver has been awful for a long time. His time came and went many moons ago.

I had the TV up and the radio broadcast coming through the speakers. They talked quite a bit about Soria causing Uggla to genuflect to his his Mexican savior.

Great post. I agree 100%.

When Soria does as much in baseball that Rivera has accomplished, I'm sure they will suck him off.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I was just happy to see soria embarress and "awww" the crowd with that strike out curve on Uggla

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2008, 12:05 PM
I was just happy to see soria embarress and "awww" the crowd with that strike out curve on Uggla

yeah, you could hear the Yankee fans, saying "WoW... it will be awesome to have Soria on the Yankees when Riviera retires."

Demonpenz
07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
*in the yankees bullpen*

Rivera: Hey dude you want to see my cutter?
Soria: Not really I got 4 pitches Thanks

Rivera: It's cool ..... Hey dude do you want a chick-o-Stick?
Soria: Hells to the yess. The royals are to cheap to buy us chick-o-sticks they ususally just buy those black and orange candy's they throw out on the day of the dead.

Rivera: Oh yeah? I got lifetimes worth of chick-o-Sticks
Soria: Right on Right on

Rivera: So do you have your own music yet? They play some kind of hard rock or something because my nickname is sandman. I would rather have something more my style.

Soria: yeah they have rock for me too, I guess people like it though. I don't really see why hey are those more chick-o-sticks?

Demonpenz
07-16-2008, 01:13 PM
*both pitchers munching on chick-o-sticks*

Soria: yeah my nickname is mexicucioner which is tad odd because I don't really want to kill anyone. Just make some money and drink some cervasa's you know?

Rivera: I know the feeling man. Did you see the chi chi's on the girl over there?

Soria: where? Man I would welcome her to my jungle

Rivera: *laughs*

Soria: I wish there were more of those in Kansas City, most of them smell like a fireoworks outlet mixed with truck stop perfume

Rivera: Yeah there are hot girls all over the place here.

Soria: Of course in KC you can get "busy" in the fountains on off days man that water is cold thoug.

Papplebaun: Yeaaaahhhh boooyyy

Soria and Riveria: *groan* Hi papplebaun

Papple: Whats up wussies haha haha did someone say getting it on?!?!

*fist bump*

BigRock
07-16-2008, 01:24 PM

That was the Yankees public address announcer who was ill. He only would have announced the lineups before the game. Buck and McCarver were always going to call the game itself.

Deberg_1990
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM

How did Soria embarrass the crowd??

StcChief
07-16-2008, 01:36 PM
yeah, you could hear the Yankee fans, saying "WoW... it will be awesome to have Soria on the Yankees when Riviera retires."my thought as well. coaches making notes....

Saulbadguy
07-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Sunday night football. Randy Moss. Class action lawsuit.

That is all that needs to be said.

Dartgod
07-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I think he meant embarrass Uggla and awe the crowd.

SPATCH
07-16-2008, 02:14 PM
and it wasn't just soria...

i was watching George Sherrill and Aaron Cook kick some ass, and the whole time i was thinking, "who the **** are these guys?"

seriously, the whole time during the pitching clinic being put on by Soria/Sherrill/Cook they didn't have one bit of background information to share on these guys... no stats. nothin.

They just kept spewing on about francona and kazmir and tie game shit... it was pathetic.

because as soon as Marmol came in, they gave him a good cock slobbering.

**** those guys

Frazod
07-16-2008, 02:15 PM
I think he meant embarrass Uggla and awe the crowd.

Wearing a jersey with his name on it was embarrassing enough. Jesus, that poor bastard got clowned at every turn last night.

Anyong Bluth
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM

i was watching George Sherrill and Aaron Cook kick some ass, and the whole time i was thinking, "who the **** are these guys?"

seriously, the whole time during the pitching clinic being put on by Soria/Sherrill/Cook they didn't have one bit of background information to share on these guys... no stats. nothin.

They just kept spewing on about francona and kazmir and tie game shit... it was pathetic.

**** those guys

e.x.a.c.t.l.y.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 02:27 PM

Dartgod was spot on

Mecca
07-16-2008, 04:21 PM

**** those guys

There were likely more Cubs fans watching than those 3 teams combined, that's what they care about.

Spicy McHaggis
07-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Buck read Madden's "Announcing for Dummies"

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Chick o Sticks for everyone!111

http://fooeyusa.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/chick-o-stick.jpg

Thanks Mariano!

Marcellus
07-16-2008, 09:51 PM
To say Buck didn't offer much baseball insight because he didn't talk up Soria is rediculous.

In my opinion he is one of the best announcers in sports hands down.

He knows the sports he is announcing and he talks in very relevent intelligent terms. And he is damn whitty without sounding like a smart ass know it all.

His comment about the player who struck out looking after breaking his bat on the previous pitch (He said " I guess he did'nt need to bother getting another bat") was pretty clever.

BigRock
07-16-2008, 10:10 PM
A guy on ESPN acknowledged that Soria got ignored last night. I have no idea who the guy was (I think a fantasy sports guy), but he was talking about the "top quartet" of closers and said it's Rivera, Nathan, Papelbum, and Soria, with K-Rod going in the 2nd tier.

Then he said a lot of people don't know how good Soria is since he plays for the Royals and doesn't get a lot of coverage. He finished with something like "He actually pitched 2 innings in the All-Star Game last night, but even if you watched it, unfortunately you still don't know anything about him."

dj56dt58
07-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Ah, but using what the Royals have/haven't done as a way to not commend the players performance is a sorry excuse. The All Star game isn't about the teams. It's about the big name players.
fyp

petegz28
07-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Maybe if the Royals had done something in the past 23 years they might get more run??

Probably not want alot of fans want to hear but thats reality.

Bullshit. The all-Star game is about the individuals not the teams they play for. Just more bullshit as to why this game is so ****ed up.

smittysbar
07-17-2008, 09:28 AM
I mean really, who gives a shit? He came in, did a GREAT job. Shut the NL down. There was a good chance that he wasn't even going to get in. He did, and did good. There was probably a ton of players that they didn't stroke off. If he keeps up his dominance, some day he will receive the same treatment.

I can't believe so many are upset about this..........................

Anyong Bluth
07-17-2008, 10:05 AM
There were likely more Cubs fans watching than those 3 teams combined, that's what they care about.

Again, the point is that if you're the best in the business, you should be able to have at least something relevant to talk about with every player in an All-Star game. 1 Fact. How hard is it to make a list of all the players and jot down one point of interest, fact or what not about each player. I hope to god Buck and Carver can fill out 3/4 of that list of the top of their head, which means the legwork for the 15 or so players takes almost no time.

Pandering to larger media markets has little relevance on them offering some insight about the other guys in the game.

For example.

Buck: Soria from the Royals will take over relief as we enter the 11th.

McCarver: The Royals lucked out picking up this 24 year old as a rule 5 pick and have him already signed through 2014. He's a young guy with some really good movement and could just be beginning to show his talent.

Buck: Yeah, Tim. He features 4 pitches, and can nicely change speeds with some serious movement that can frustrate guys at the plate. A lot have wondered if he'll still be looked at in a starting role, but given his success, it may be a good idea not trying to fix what isn't broke.

You really think that people at home wouldn't appreciate to hear little things like that? I know they would. A co-worker of mine that's a White Sox fan the next morning came up to me and immediately started talking about Soria. He said he was amazed by how nasty his stuff was and the Uggla curve, and without me saying a word even talked about how they didn't know a damn thing about him. I then mentioned that they didn't know shit about any of the late inning pitchers even though they ended up being more enjoyable to watch than the guys pitching through the 1st 1/2 of the game.

Like I said, Not a lot of work to greatly improve the broadcast quality.

To say Buck didn't offer much baseball insight because he didn't talk up Soria is rediculous.

In my opinion he is one of the best announcers in sports hands down.

He knows the sports he is announcing and he talks in very relevent intelligent terms. And he is damn whitty without sounding like a smart ass know it all.

His comment about the player who struck out looking after breaking his bat on the previous pitch (He said " I guess he did'nt need to bother getting another bat") was pretty clever.

I like Buck as an announcer, but to say he doesn't come off as smug sometimes is absurd!? Not that really tries to, he just has a way sometimes of things sounding like it- trust me, I'm guilty of this plenty even when my intention is not to come off like this.

Regardless, this doesn't dismiss the fact they were broadcasting 5 or 6 innings of spectular pitching and had pretty much 0 info about all the guys. This ISN'T a Soria specific issue.

I mean really, who gives a shit? He came in, did a GREAT job. Shut the NL down. There was a good chance that he wasn't even going to get in. He did, and did good. There was probably a ton of players that they didn't stroke off. If he keeps up his dominance, some day he will receive the same treatment.

I can't believe so many are upset about this..........................

Once again, this isn't a Soria specific observation. Cook, Soria, Sherrill and others came in, and it was obvious they didn't know their elbow from their dick about any of the guys. My guess is they didn't expect to see them get into the game, and I say you got caught being unprepared and unprofessional to be so clueless.

smittysbar
07-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I bet they know more than you think about these players......

RockChalk
07-17-2008, 10:34 AM

i don't know about that...they did call Soria "sawyer"

Anyong Bluth
07-17-2008, 10:42 AM

So, they're specifically being cryptic and not giving their audience the information.

I'm not asking them to mention during the broadcast for example.

Buck: Jose Lima comes in the start the 6th. He's had a great year, and really turned his career around since joining the Royals. Maybe a change of scenery was needed to revitalize his career.

McCarver: Totally agree, Joe. Just a shame that in spite of his spectacular year up until the break, that he's suffering with a raging case of herpes. All these off the field suits by women he's infected can't be good for keeping his focus on the field, but he's still managed to really produce.

Buck: True, but you can't say the guy doesn't give it 100% on and off the field.

McCarver: Limon... Limon... Limon- ade! WHOOOOO....!!!!

Maybe Dayton sent Joe and Tim a memo and asked them to specifically talk about Soria (Sawyer) and impart their vast wealth of knowledge so teams won't catch wind of what a badass he is.

smittysbar
07-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Does Buck know Soria? Yes
Could he have said more about him? Yes
Could he said more about other players too? Yes
Did they stroke off a few legends of the game? Yes
Is it the last year in Yankee stadium? Yes
Did they showcase that point? Yes
Did Soria do good? Yes
Did he turn some heads? Yes
Did the AL get the win? Yes

Cry Cry Cry.......who gives a ****? Not me

thurman merman
07-17-2008, 11:28 AM
how would joe buck have time to talk about soria? the last eight or nine innings all he talked about was OMG WTF IS GOING TO HAPPEN IF SCOTT KAZMIR HAS TO PITCH OMG?!?!?!? THE RAYS ARE GOING TO BE PISSED AT TERRY FRANCONA IF SCOTT KAZMIR HAS TO PITCH OMG!!!! I BET TERRY FRANCONA IS NOT GONNA PUT IN KAZMIR OMG! IF HE DOES HE HAS A CERTAIN PITCH COUNT HE HAS TO LIMIT HIM TO!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

thurman merman
07-17-2008, 11:30 AM
i don't know about that...they did call Soria "sawyer"

at least they pronounced his first name correctly. the people on espn call him "joe-uh-kim" soria.