PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Anybody here ever been to Amarillo TX?

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm thinking about moving there next year. NJ sucks. I work in Freight operations and logistics, so I'm sure I'll be able to find a job in TX.

I've been to Dallas and El Paso but I'm curious about the Amarillo area.

Demonpenz
07-16-2008, 08:47 AM
they took my saddle in houston, broke my leg in sante fe, lost a wife and a girlfriend SOOoomE where along the way....

Baconeater
07-16-2008, 08:48 AM
I saw it on a map once, does that help?

StcChief
07-16-2008, 08:49 AM
there's a Steers and Queers joke here somewhere.

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 08:49 AM
they took my saddle in houston, broke my leg in sante fe, lost a wife and a girlfriend SOOoomE where along the way....

George Strait is ok, but Dwight Yoakam is more my speed.

markk
07-16-2008, 08:50 AM
What are you... yellow?

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Anybody work for Union Pacific railroad, or BNSF?

:Poke:

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 08:51 AM
What are you... yellow?

I once worked for Yellow Freight.

blueballs
07-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Don't you alread have a ranch down that way
shtsprayer

Big Dick Jones
07-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Yes, several times.

markk
07-16-2008, 08:54 AM
I once worked for Yellow Freight.

amarillo = yellow

Deberg_1990
07-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Well i guess your not Kotter after all. Mystery solved!!

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 08:56 AM
amarillo = yellow

The Yellow Rose of Texas?

I get it, I think.

Archie F. Swin
07-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Amarillo is a charming west Texas city of over 200,000. The only thing that makes me not want to live there is thats its at least 500 miles from everywhere else.
If you're moving from New Jersey to Amarillo, Texas...you may as well be moving to Mars. I can't imagine two places being more dis-similar.

Bweb
07-16-2008, 09:07 AM
I have been through Amarillo many times for business. Very flat, no tress and lots of wide open spaces. City is a lot smaller than El Paso. To me, town seems dirty and drab. However, it is the home of the "Big Texan" steak house of the famous 72 oz steak which is free if eaten in one hour.

gblowfish
07-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Driven thru it a couple time. It's in the middle of freakin' nowhere. Long way to Dallas, Long way to Oklahoma City, long way to Santa Fe. Pretty much literally nowhere. The wind howls in the winter and in the summer don't get upwind of the stockyards.

Cadillac Ranch is the only redeeming feature.

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Amarillo is a charming west Texas city of over 200,000. The only thing that makes me not want to live there is thats its at least 500 miles from everywhere else.
If you're moving from New Jersey to Amarillo, Texas...you may as well be moving to Mars. I can't imagine two places being more dis-similar.

Thanks for the feedback. I drove a tractor trailer through Texas quite a few times, and the southern border with Mexico looks like Mars. The North was green (alfafa?) and in the east everybody is like Sheriff Justice from Smokey and the bandit.

I'm exploring several options, Amarillo is just one of the them. I like Raleigh NC and Knoxville TN as well.

I have been through Amarillo many times for business. Very flat, no tress and lots of wide open spaces. City is a lot smaller than El Paso. To me, town seems dirty and drab. However, it is the home of the "Big Texan" steak house of the famous 72 oz steak which is free if eaten in one hour.

I don't think I can eat the whole thing, but I'll give it a try.

Hog Farmer
07-16-2008, 09:16 AM
I live within an hour of Amarillo, it has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. My favorite two places to go in Amarillo are Hooters and Gander Mountain. Lots of good places to eat including the Big Texan. They are famous for the 5 pound steak. If you can eat it within 1 hour you get it free! Red River NM is about 5 hours away for a great vacation spot. The Texas panhandle takes time to get used to. Some days the wind will blow 50 mph all day. Right on the edge of Tornado Alley. They usually form in this area and head East in OKlahoma.

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Driven thru it a couple time. It's in the middle of freakin' nowhere. Long way to Dallas, Long way to Oklahoma City, long way to Santa Fe. Pretty much literally nowhere. The wind howls in the winter and in the summer don't get upwind of the stockyards.

Cadillac Ranch is the only redeeming feature.

The isolation doesn't bother me, but smelly cow manure does. My main concern is employment. I know their are several trucking co. and BNSF is there, too. I want to work for the railroad.

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
I live within an hour of Amarillo, it has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. My favorite two places to go in Amarillo are Hooters and Gander Mountain. Lots of good places to eat including the Big Texan. They are famous for the 5 pound steak. If you can eat it within 1 hour you get it free! Red River NM is about 5 hours away for a great vacation spot. The Texas panhandle takes time to get used to. Some days the wind will blow 50 mph all day. Right on the edge of Tornado Alley. They usually form in this area and head East in OKlahoma.

My wife is scared shitless of tornadoes. Come to think of it, so am I. Low unemployment, huh? That I like. My wife is a social worker. Are there enough dysfunctional people in that area to keep her employed with the state or the county?

gblowfish
07-16-2008, 09:22 AM
They have minor league baseball and arena league football:
http://www.visitamarillotx.com/navigation/frames.html

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 09:26 AM
They have minor league baseball and arena league football:
http://www.visitamarillotx.com/navigation/frames.html

Cool.

Getting back to smelly cow manure, have you ever been to Lancaster PA?

Hog Farmer
07-16-2008, 09:28 AM
The isolation doesn't bother me, but smelly cow manure does. My main concern is employment. I know their are several trucking co. and BNSF is there, too. I want to work for the railroad.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting a job with the railroad, they're all ****ing idiots in Amarillo. I bought a 20 ton capacity feed truck in Kentucky and had it railed to Amarillo where I would pick it up and drive it home. It took 2 days from Kentucky to Amarillo. So I called and they said it was there but they didn't know which dock. Finally got a dock number, well nobody knows where that particular dock is at. 3 days later someone gives me directions to the location. So I drive to Amarillo to find the raicar with my truck on it. The railcar is pushed up to the dock backwards so the tongue of the railcar is in the way of letting the car to the dock, a 3 foot gap. so I call them and tell them the situation and it takes them 2 more days to get the car turned around, I go back and theres still about a 2 foot gap between the car and the dock. so they tell me thats my problem. I have to go buy a 1/2 thick sheet of steel to lay accross the gap to drive the truck off. What a bunch of ****ing idiots. You can probably get a job there starting out as the boss.

Hog Farmer
07-16-2008, 09:30 AM
My wife is scared shitless of tornadoes. Come to think of it, so am I. Low unemployment, huh? That I like. My wife is a social worker. Are there enough dysfunctional people in that area to keep her employed with the state or the county?

I'm sure your wife would have a job in a heartbeat there. Buy a house with a basement and you'll sleep a lot better although I don't know of a tornado ever hitting Amarillo.

Bob Dole
07-16-2008, 09:30 AM
... and in the east everybody is like Sheriff Justice from Smokey and the bandit.

Ain't neither. It's just you ain't from 'round here, boy.

Stinger
07-16-2008, 09:32 AM
The isolation doesn't bother me, but smelly cow manure does.

Wow ... coming from NJ and worried about the smell?????

I keed .... I keed
:D

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 09:46 AM
You shouldn't have any trouble getting a job with the railroad, they're all ****ing idiots in Amarillo. I bought a 20 ton capacity feed truck in Kentucky and had it railed to Amarillo where I would pick it up and drive it home. It took 2 days from Kentucky to Amarillo. So I called and they said it was there but they didn't know which dock. Finally got a dock number, well nobody knows where that particular dock is at. 3 days later someone gives me directions to the location. So I drive to Amarillo to find the raicar with my truck on it. The railcar is pushed up to the dock backwards so the tongue of the railcar is in the way of letting the car to the dock, a 3 foot gap. so I call them and tell them the situation and it takes them 2 more days to get the car turned around, I go back and theres still about a 2 foot gap between the car and the dock. so they tell me thats my problem. I have to go buy a 1/2 thick sheet of steel to lay accross the gap to drive the truck off. What a bunch of ****ing idiots. You can probably get a job there starting out as the boss.

Great, I'll be like Charleton Heston at the beginning of Planet of the Apes "In a few weeks... we'll be running the place!"

Ain't neither. It's just you ain't from 'round here, boy.

ROFL

Wow ... coming from NJ and worried about the smell?????

There is a raw sewage plant you can smell for miles when driving North or South on I-95 (NJ turnpike) past exit 13 in Elizabeth NJ.

That's where I worked for Yellow Freight. Smelling sh*t all night on the loading dock.

kepp
07-16-2008, 09:46 AM
The North was green (alfafa?)

I've been through there a couple times and I don't remember any green. Maybe it was just bad timing.

Archie F. Swin
07-16-2008, 09:47 AM
West Texas folk are some of the friendliest you'll find. You can take them at face value. There's no pretense. Its often hard to tell the oil field worker from the oil field owner (chances are they both drive trucks). If you like Amarillo, you'll probably want to stay forever...if you dont like it, you'll feel like you're stranded on a desert island.
Amarillo has everything you need...even an amusement park. Just dont plan on the Rolling Stones stopping there for a show. Its just small enough to miss the major acts, I reckon.

PastorMikH
07-16-2008, 09:52 AM

Where exactly are you at? I'm just about 2 - 2.5 hours from Amarillo to the east.

Been to Amarrillo once, and that was just to the fair grounds on the east side of town so far so I really can't say much about it. I do know that when I lived in Uselysses we had people that preffered going to Amarillo than Wichita for shopping and medical stuff.

Anyone eaten the big steak? The advertise along I-40 here about it. Had a guy in my church try it once and he said it wasn't a very good cut of meat - said the one he got was more like a roast than anything else.

Hog Farmer
07-16-2008, 09:59 AM
West Texas folk are some of the friendliest you'll find. You can take them at face value. There's no pretense. Its often hard to tell the oil field worker from the oil field owner (chances are they both drive trucks). If you like Amarillo, you'll probably want to stay forever...if you dont like it, you'll feel like you're stranded on a desert island.
Amarillo has everything you need...even an amusement park. Just dont plan on the Rolling Stones stopping there for a show. Its just small enough to miss the major acts, I reckon.

Most folk are friendly. I'm an asshole!:D

Skip Towne
07-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Most folk are friendly. I'm an asshole!:D

I'll bet you picked that up in Southeast Kansas.

PastorMikH
07-16-2008, 10:09 AM

I've found that term fits a lot of people from all over kansas.

PastorMikH
07-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Most folk are friendly.

Say hoggy, you have me on iggy???

If you don't want to name a location, what direction are you?

Skip Towne
07-16-2008, 10:13 AM

He probably does. Darn MUrons!

Alton deFlat
07-16-2008, 10:17 AM
I drove through there on the way to Phoenix, and spent the night there on the way back home. The thing that I remember the most was the smell from the stockyards.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Amarillo-Texas.html

I have heard Raleigh, NC has a good cost of living.

RJ
07-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Most of the sales reps who call on me here in Albuquerque also work West Texas and they all say the economy there is good right now......It must be the oil fields cause I hear hog farming is suffering. Amarillo isn't the prettiest place I've seen but it does seem to be a productive area.

Palo Verde Canyon is a short dive as I recall, that's probably my favorite place in that region so far as pretty goes.

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I drove through there on the way to Phoenix, and spent the night there on the way back home. The thing that I remember the most was the smell from the stockyards.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Amarillo-Texas.html

I have heard Raleigh, NC has a good cost of living.

It's pretty much gonna come down to which area offers the best job. I just want out of the North East, particularly the People's Republic of NJ.

Most of the sales reps who call on me here in Albuquerque also work West Texas and they all say the economy there is good right now......It must be the oil fields cause I hear hog farming is suffering. Amarillo isn't the prettiest place I've seen but it does seem to be a productive area.

Palo Verde Canyon is a short dive as I recall, that's probably my favorite place in that region so far as pretty goes.

You work in banking by any chance? I passed my series 7 stockbroker license, did cold calling for about two days and quit. :drool:

You go through all that crap to pass a test and then they put you on a phone reading cue cards trying to sell shit stock to people who already said no to dozen other suckers before you.

Anyway I like TX and TN 'cos of no state income tax. The gun laws are ideal in TX, too.

RJ
07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Nope, I sell floors.

I lived in San Antonio and Corpus for a while. No state tax was nice, though the sales tax was a bit high. The cost of housing was also quite reasonable. Generally, when people sell a house on either coast and move to this region they make out real well.

As a former Baltimoron I can say that despite all the things I miss I'd never want to live on the East Coast again.

Hog Farmer
07-16-2008, 11:10 AM

Yes. I would imagine you are correct. Of course I'm really just an internet A-Hole. If you were in the hog business you would need an outlet to vent too.

Hog Farmer
07-16-2008, 11:11 AM

I replied, you just haven't found it yet. :D

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Nope, I sell floors.

I lived in San Antonio and Corpus for a while. No state tax was nice, though the sales tax was a bit high. The cost of housing was also quite reasonable. Generally, when people sell a house on either coast and move to this region they make out real well.

As a former Baltimoron I can say that despite all the things I miss I'd never want to live on the East Coast again.

I should get into the manure business.

:thumb:

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Yes. I would imagine you are correct. Of course I'm really just an internet A-Hole. If you were in the hog business you would need an outlet to vent too.

Hey, you ever ate ostrich?

Hog Farmer
07-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey, you ever ate ostrich?

Sometimes I eat at a Chinese buffet so who knows?

***SPRAYER
07-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Sometimes I eat at a Chinese buffet so who knows?

I heard that some people in Texas raise ostriches to sell the meat.

StcChief
07-16-2008, 12:46 PM
I heard that some people in Texas raise ostriches to sell the meat.
they do that in MO too. good eatin' burgers.

SBK
07-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Personally if I was looking to move to Texas I'd look at Austin. Many places rate it one of the top places in the US to live. Raleigh NC is right up there too.

Only thing I know about Amarillo is that place where you get a free 72 oz steak if you can eat it in an hour.

Luke
07-16-2008, 03:37 PM
If you are moving from NJ to Texas you will be amazed at how HOT it gets there in the summer. Been through it several times. Good ole Dalhart is about 60 miles north. The trouble with Texas, is there are too many Texicans living there. You will have to take meds to increase your ego.:doh!:

Bill Parcells
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm thinking about moving there next year. NJ sucks. I work in Freight operations and logistics, so I'm sure I'll be able to find a job in TX.

Go to North Carolina as originally planned. you can buy property cheap and some excavating/tree/paper developing company will pay you to excavate it and take all the trees away. then build a prefab log cabin or something.

And you can still go to Amedos in Raleigh and watch the Jet games with SJ and Greenbeans.

patteeu
07-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I drove a tractor trailer through Texas quite a few times, and the southern border with Mexico looks like Mars. The North was green (alfafa?) and in the east everybody is like Sheriff Justice from Smokey and the bandit.

I'm exploring several options, Amarillo is just one of the them. I like Raleigh NC and Knoxville TN as well.

I don't think I can eat the whole thing, but I'll give it a try.

I'd vote for Knoxville if you decide to let a ChiefsPlanet poll decide your future.

But I lived in Texas for several years (Austin) and I liked the state very much even if I don't have west texas experience.

Dave Lane
07-16-2008, 05:46 PM

I'm sure UPS has an office in Amarillo so you should be good to go. Just transfer.

Dave

Boon
07-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I haven't been to Amarillo, but I spent the weekend in Guymon OK about five years ago. Middle of August. I'll NEVER do that again. Surely Amarillo isn't that bad though. Saw on TV they have a place that sells 5 lb steaks. If you can eat it in an hour, it's free.