PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Agree to Terms with DE Brian Johnston and WR Kevin Robinson

CoMoChief
07-16-2008, 10:35 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/07/16/chiefs_agree_to_terms_with_wr_kevin_robinson__de_brian_johnston/

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Wednesday that the club has agreed to terms of three-year contracts with draft choices WR Kevin Robinson and DE Brian Johnston. As per Chiefs policy, no other terms of the agreements were made available. Robinson and Johnston were the fourth and fifth Chiefs draft choices to agree to contract terms, joining fourth-round selection WR Will Franklin (105th overall), fifth-round selection CB Brandon Carr (140th overall) and sixth-round pick T Barry Richardson (170th overall).

Robinson (5-11 196) joined the Chiefs as the club’s second of two sixth-round selections (182nd overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft. He saw action in 46 contests (32 starts) at Utah State, catching 178 passes for 2,485 yards (14.0 avg.). He also handled the return duties, setting Utah State career records for punt return yards (1,104), punt returns TDs (four), kickoff returns (110), kickoff return yards (2,725), and kickoff return TDs (four).

Robinson started all 12 contests for the Aggies in 2007, logging 55 receptions for 640 yards (11.6) with five TDs. He set the NCAA mark for kickoff return yards in a season with 1, 1260 yards with three returns for TDs.

The Fresno, California native was an all-league selection at Hoover High School. He caught 69 passes for 1,214 yards with 14 touchdowns as a senior.

Johnston (6-4, 269) joined the Chiefs as the club’s first of two seventh-round picks (210th overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft. He played in 42 games (40 starts) during his four-year career at Gardner-Webb, registering 268 tackles (124 solo), 21.0 sacks (-140.0 yards) and 55.5 tackles for loss (-257.0 yards). He also had 69 QB pressures, 10 forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and one blocked kick. On offense, he added a three-yard TD reception.

Johnston started all 11 games in each of his final three seasons. In 2006, he recorded 77 tackles (35 solo), 8.0 sacks (-47.0 yards), 14.0 tackles for loss, 23 QB pressures, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

The San Diego, California native was a two-time first-team All-Harbor League selection at Madison High School. He was a member of the San Diego Union-Tribune All-Academic Team and was a High School Heisman nominee.

Pestilence
07-16-2008, 10:42 AM
So that only leaves

Dorsey
Albert
Flowers
Charles
Cottam
Morgan
Merritt

bkkcoh
07-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Hey, 5 out of 12 with a little over a week to go before TC starts, is anyone really surprised that more haven't been signed.

I would think that there will be all except the 1st round draft choises before camp signed.

StcChief
07-16-2008, 10:47 AM
get 'em signed times a wastin'

recxjake
07-16-2008, 10:58 AM
So that only leaves

Dorsey
Albert
Flowers
Charles
Cottam
Morgan
Merritt

Those first 4 are going to be expensive!

Pestilence
07-16-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm wondering why Merritt hasn't signed yet. Dude.....you're a 7th round blocking TE/FB. Take the cheeseburger and get to camp!

Deberg_1990
07-16-2008, 11:02 AM
I still think Dorsey is going to end up losing valuable training camp time. I wonder how far apart the two sides are??

Micjones
07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Good deal.
We really need Johnston in on time to figure into that DE rotation.
Boone has no business playing on the outside. Someone please take that job from him.

As for Robinson... He had better spend time on the Juggs machine while he's in Wisconsin.

BigRedChief
07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
So that only leaves

Dorsey
Albert
Flowers
Charles
Cottam
Morgan
Merritt
Who gives a chit about any of them being signed before the start of training camp except the top two?

Dorsey is not as important as Albert.

Dick Bull
07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Those first 4 are going to be expensive!

I doubt charles is gonna be that bad

he's a 3rd round pick for crying out loud

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Too bad Carl is on Vacation this week.

Dick Bull
07-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Who gives a chit about any of them being signed before the start of training camp except the top two?

yeah dt isn't a position that's too hard to fit in early

said dick vermeil after ryan sims holdout

|Zach|
07-16-2008, 11:11 AM

I do.

Direckshun
07-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I can't shake the feeling that you guys are all setting me up for a big letdown on Johnston.

Everybody's excited about the guy... I just don't want to get my hopes up.

As for Robinson... I think of all the picks we've had this Draft, he's the most likely to bust.

Micjones
07-16-2008, 11:16 AM

Some of those mid-to-late round picks are likely to figure in heavily in their rookie seasons to this franchise. I want them all in on time.

I think all, but two of them will be in on time.

Deberg_1990
07-16-2008, 11:16 AM
I can't shake the feeling that you guys are all setting me up for a big letdown on Johnston.

Everybody's excited about the guy... I just don't want to get my hopes up.

As for Robinson... I think of all the picks we've had this Draft, he's the most likely to bust.

Well, if you look at an average draft, only about 3-5 at the most ever end of making it. So realistically, alot of these guys will bust. I wouldnt get hopes up too high yet.

Micjones
07-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Can Robinson really be considered a bust though if he doesn't pan out having been drafted in the late rounds?

Direckshun
07-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Can Robinson really be considered a bust though if he doesn't pan out having been drafted in the late rounds?
Depends. Perhaps bust was the wrong word.

But if he goes out there, gets killed, has a 2.1 yard average on punt returns.... he'll be a bust.

CosmicPal
07-16-2008, 11:19 AM

A busted is a wasted draft pick. A late round pick is a bust. A first round pick is a MONUMENTAL bust if he doesn't make the team.

Deberg_1990
07-16-2008, 11:22 AM
A busted is a wasted draft pick. A late round pick is a bust. A first round pick is a MONUMENTAL bust if he doesn't make the team.

First round busts usually signal franchise altering changes (unless your the Chiefs) hahah

Late rounds busts, nobody expects much out of them anyways so whatever they can give you is considered cake.

Micjones
07-16-2008, 11:28 AM

Bust is a term attributed to players taken in the earlier rounds.
Players who teams and fans heap heavy expectations on.

No one expects much of anything from 6th Round Picks.
And I can't recall hearing a 6th Round Pick who didn't pan out ever being called a bust.

Redrum_69
07-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Dorsey WONT be signed this year

Micjones
07-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Dorsey will absolutely be signed, but I'm guessing he misses a couple weeks of camp. Which will hurt his progress in Year One.

Messier
07-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Dorsey WONT be signed this year

Interesting. So you think he'll be the first player in 20 odd years to forgo this season and re-enter the draft next year?

Deberg_1990
07-16-2008, 11:31 AM
And I can't recall hearing a 6th Round Pick who didn't pan out ever being called a bust.

Damn you Darnell Alford !!!!!!! Damnit Carl!!!

Micjones
07-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Damn you Darnell Alford !!!!!!! Damnit Carl!!!

Who called Alford a bust?

Mizzou_8541
07-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Interesting. So you think he'll be the first player in 20 odd years to forgo this season and re-enter the draft next year?

This year? Why do you say that?

Redrum_69
07-16-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm just saying, Peterson is great at making first impressions...that lingers on...for a year or two...then the aura of newness is gone and he'll be traded to some rival team in the AFC.

BigRedChief
07-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Some of those mid-to-late round picks are likely to figure in heavily in their rookie seasons to this franchise. I want them all in on time.

I think all, but two of them will be in on time.
When are mid to late round picks ever not signed by training camp? Does that even happen?

BigRedChief
07-16-2008, 11:43 AM
yeah dt isn't a position that's too hard to fit in early

said dick vermeil after ryan sims holdout
Wasn't saying its not important just saying that Albert and the OL working together and how they protect Croyle is how our season is going to go. The sooner they get to working together with pads on the better.

Dorsey can show up in December and still be our best DT.

dshyne101
07-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Good deal.
We really need Johnston in on time to figure into that DE rotation.
Boone has no business playing on the outside. Someone please take that job from him.

As for Robinson... He had better spend time on the Juggs machine while he's in Wisconsin.

u are so damn rite Boone has no damn reason 2 play the outside he needs 2 go inside with dorsey and that would be a mean combo!! im ready 2 see what turk has got in him.

alanm
07-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I still think Dorsey is going to end up losing valuable training camp time. I wonder how far apart the two sides are??
If he was anything other than a Dlineman or a RB I'd be worried.
All he has to worry about is see man, see man with ball, crush pencil neck of man with ball.

milkman
07-16-2008, 12:41 PM
u are so damn rite Boone has no damn reason 2 play the outside he needs 2 go inside with dorsey and that would be a mean combo!! im ready 2 see what turk has got in him.

So, when are you going to learn English?

oops.

El Jefe
07-16-2008, 12:42 PM
So, when are you going to learn Engish?

LMAO

DaKCMan AP
07-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Good news!

Micjones
07-16-2008, 12:51 PM
When are mid to late round picks ever not signed by training camp? Does that even happen?

They're routinely in on time.
My point was that it's important for them to be in on time because of the new philosophy and the needs of this team. AND that the #1's likely won't be.

dorseybowe
07-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Johnston (6-4, 269) joined the Chiefs as the club’s first of two seventh-round picks (210th overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft. He played in 42 games (40 starts) during his four-year career at Gardner-Webb, registering 268 tackles (124 solo), 21.0 sacks (-140.0 yards) and 55.5 tackles for loss (-257.0 yards). He also had 69 QB pressures, 10 forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and one blocked kick. On offense, he added a three-yard TD reception.

Jared Allen at Idaho State for comparison:

Allen, native of California, started 33 of 41 games during his career at Idaho State University. The four-time All-Big Sky Conference selection finished his career with 250 tackles, 38.5 sacks, 73 stops for losses, seven fumble recoveries, 3 touchdowns, 13 forced fumbles, three interceptions, 26 pass deflections, and a blocked kick.

DaKCMan AP
07-16-2008, 01:06 PM

Allen, native of California, started 33 of 41 games during his career at Idaho State University. The four-time All-Big Sky Conference selection finished his career with 250 tackles, 38.5 sacks, 73 stops for losses, seven fumble recoveries, 3 touchdowns, 13 forced fumbles, three interceptions, 26 pass deflections, a blocked kick, and a DUI.

FYP

dorseybowe
07-16-2008, 01:13 PM
FYP

Minnesota DWI laws:

# Minnesota’s DWI laws are among the strongest in the nation. Under Minnesota DWI / DUI laws, refusal to take a chemical test following an arrest for drunk driving is a separate criminal offense.

# Minnesota DWI punishment in criminal court is punishable for up to 90 days in jail, plus fines, mandatory DWI alcohol education courses, DWI driver’s license consequences, and more. If a first-offense DWI is considered a gross misdemeanor due to aggravating factors, the punishment and penalties for drunk driving can include up to one year in jail and a fine of $3,000.00.

# Minnesota DWI punishment for a second-offense drunk driving conviction is significantly harsher. A second offense DWI conviction within ten years of a prior offense is a gross misdemeanor, and carries DWI punishment and penalties of up to one year in jail, plus a fine of up to $3,000.00.

# Minnesota DWI punishment goes up significantly for a third-offense DUI arrest within 10 years. Your car will be immediately impounded. There is significantly increased exposure for jail time on a third-time DWI. It is imperative that an alcohol abuse evaluation be obtained. If you are not an alcoholic, you will have to prove it at this point.

# Minnesota DWI laws make a fourth-offense within 10 years a felony. Minnesota DWI law for a felony drunk driving conviction will include three years in prison and a fine of not less than $14,000.00.

blueballs
07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
you cruel and heartless bastards
two will now have to be cut
and can't feed their babies

RustShack
07-16-2008, 01:38 PM

Allen, native of California, started 33 of 41 games during his career at Idaho State University. The four-time All-Big Sky Conference selection finished his career with 250 tackles, 38.5 sacks, 73 stops for losses, seven fumble recoveries, 3 touchdowns, 13 forced fumbles, three interceptions, 26 pass deflections, and a blocked kick.

Dang, I hoped they would have compared better but Allen just blows him apart. I wonder if he was double and triple covered as much as Johnston was?

Braincase
07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Dang, I hoped they would have compared better but Allen just blows him apart. I wonder if he was double and triple covered as much as Johnston was?

Maybe the Harbor league focuses more on the running game?

Mecca
07-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Flowers and Morgan need to be signed in a hurry, both those guys should be starting pretty quickly.

RustShack
07-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Maybe the Harbor league focuses more on the running game?

Yeah maybe... Is there anyone who watched both of these guys play in college at all? Probably not..

RustShack
07-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Flowers and Morgan need to be signed in a hurry, both those guys should be starting pretty quickly.

I would say Flowers and Doresy more so than Morgan, I'm pretty sure we get everyone in on time though... Doresy and Albert are really the only ones I'm a little worried about.

evolve27
07-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Good to hear they're signed, keep 'em coming.

dorseybowe
07-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah maybe... Is there anyone who watched both of these guys play in college at all? Probably not..

Although Allen was more productive, Johnston's measurables coming out of college compared to Allen's were much better:

Measuring in at 6-foot-5, 274 pounds, Johnston ran his first 40-yard dash in 4.66 seconds. Johnston's 40-yard dash time would have been the fourth best at the NFL combine for defensive ends, and the best for any lineman weighing more than 260 pounds.

Johnston's most impressive stat from the 40-yard dash came with a very strong 1.51-second time through the first 10 yards, an important time with regards to a players quickness. By comparison, Johnston's 10-yard split was the same as Arkansas' running back Darren McFadden turned in at the Combine earlier this year.

Johnston pulled off an impressive 35-inch vertical leap as well on Saturday, which would have ranked second among defensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine - and best for a player of his size.

The most impressive result overall, however, may have been Johnston's time in the 20-yard shuttle. He turned in a 4.18-second time, which is better than any lineman at the NFL's Scouting Combine. In fact, the 4.18-second time was faster than any running back at the event - with Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall the only back to match that time.

Jared Allen's combine results:

* 4.81 40 yard dash
* 13 Bench press reps of 225
* 33 Inch Vertical jump
* 10 Foot Broad jump
* 4.36 Short Shuttle
* 7.15 3 cone drill