PDA

View Full Version : Money Job hunting

Nightfyre
07-16-2008, 10:01 PM
So I've been job hunting for the last couple months. One of the first places I applied to just got back to me NOW. granted, it's a state job, but does it really normally take 6-8 weeks for them to get back around to you? I had another interview nearly a week after i applied at a different place. So does it normally take this long straight out of college to find a job?

banyon
07-16-2008, 10:02 PM
So I've been job hunting for the last couple months. One of the first places I applied to just got back to me NOW. granted, it's a state job, but does it really normally take 6-8 weeks for them to get back around to you? I had another interview nearly a week after i applied at a different place. So does it normally take this long straight out of college to find a job?

State agencies are slow. They're usually waiting for another budget cycle to roll through or for someone else to quit.

I've had several call me months after I had taken other jobs.

Simply Red
07-16-2008, 10:12 PM
yes

Buehler445
07-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Dude, government takes FOREVER. FOR-E-VER

Fat Elvis
07-16-2008, 10:39 PM
July 1 is the beginning of the fiscal year for many businesses and especially governmental agencies; they may of been waiting to see what type of budgets they had to work with for the following year.

That said, having a motorcycle would have probably speeded up the process a bit.

tmax63
07-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Applied for a state corrections job in March of 97. Went to work as a full time temp doing what I did in the Army at the end of April. August I put my paperwork in to become a permanent hire instead of a temp and went home that afternoon to find a letter from Dept. of Corrections asking me to come to work the following Monday. So, no, 6-8 weeks isn't bad at all. This time of year they may wait to beginning of new fiscal year (1 October).

Simply Red
07-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Applied for a state corrections job in March of 97. Went to work as a full time temp doing what I did in the Army at the end of April. August I put my paperwork in to become a permanent hire instead of a temp and went home that afternoon to find a letter from Dept. of Corrections asking me to come to work the following Monday. So, no, 6-8 weeks isn't bad at all. This time of year they may wait to beginning of new fiscal year (1 October).

you ever watch Lock Up? At least that is what me thinks it's called, you know, on MSNBC. Just how big of an ol boy are ya tmax63?

Nightfyre
07-17-2008, 01:07 AM
July 1 is the beginning of the fiscal year for many businesses and especially governmental agencies; they may of been waiting to see what type of budgets they had to work with for the following year.

That said, having a motorcycle would have probably speeded up the process a bit.

Need a job before I can get a bike! Need a bike before I can get the chicks! dammit jim!

KCrockaholic
07-17-2008, 01:44 AM
im on the job hunt as well...Colorado hates minors :(

petegz28
07-17-2008, 07:27 AM

Economy sucks rught now. Also there are a lot of experienced people that got laid off that will accept lower salaries. So you are coming into the job market at a bad time.

DaKCMan AP
07-17-2008, 07:31 AM
So does it normally take this long straight out of college to find a job?

Started my job hunt 9 months before I graduated. Had a job locked up 7 months before I graduated.

Fairplay
07-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Applied for a state corrections job in March of 97. Went to work as a full time temp doing what I did in the Army at the end of April.

This guy i know that works at one told me that a lot of the higher seniority guards take the night shift. Simply because they are all locked up.
Though there are fewer positions on that shift anyway.

And generally don't have to deal with the cons.

tmax63
07-17-2008, 07:41 AM
SR- 5'8" and about 220. I still wear 36 jeans. I'm like my grandpa, not really fat but thick thru the chest and shoulders. Never saw the show. I'm glad I stuck with the job for Uncle Sugar. My brother gave me some good advice back then. Said "most of the folks in prison are there for a good reason (they're a**holes and did sh!t to get sent there) and it takes a strong personality to keep them there. Those guys aren't always that much fun to work with either and enjoying working with your coworkers goes a long way towards being happy at work. I'm glad I listened.

BigRedChief
07-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Dude, government takes FOREVER. FOR-E-VER
No chit I took a job and then the Feds called me 8 weeks later and offered me the job at $20K more than my current position. Slow azz's thats for sure.