PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Another Reason for St Louis to Hate KC : AB deal means KC brewer No. 1 in State

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
AB deal means Kansas City brewer No. 1 in state

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td align="center">
</td></tr> <tr><td align="center"> </td></tr> <tr><td class="photo-right" align="center"> <script type="text/javascript"> <!-- aCampaigns = new Array(); aCampaigns[224] = 100; aAds = new Array(); nAdsysTime = new Date().getTime()/1000; document.usePlayer = 1; if ((nAdsysTime >= 1175576400) && (nAdsysTime <= 1491281999)) { aAd = new Array('business+middle', '78245-1199809969', 'js'); aAd[7] = 10; aAd[8] = 0; aAd[9] = 224; aAd[10] = 0; aAd[11] = 0; aAds[aAds.length] = aAd; } adsys_displayAd('http://adsys.townnews.com', 'newstribune.com', aAds, aCampaigns); // --> </script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://adsys.townnews.com/87411466/creative/newstribune.com/business+middle/78245-1199809969.js"></script><!-- begin ZEDO for channel: - Jefferson City _ NewsTribune , publisher: Jefferson City _ NewsTribune , Ad Dimension: Medium Rectangle - 300 x 250 --> <script language="JavaScript"> var zflag_nid="558"; var zflag_cid="368/9"; var zflag_sid="262"; var zflag_width="300"; var zflag_height="250"; var zflag_sz="9"; </script> <iframe src="http://c1.zedo.com/jsc/c1/ff2.html?n=558;c=368/9;s=262;d=9;w=300;h=250" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="250" scrolling="no" width="300">&lt;script language="JavaScript" src="http://c1.zedo.com/jsc/c1/ff2.js"&gt;&lt;/script&gt;&lt;noscript&gt; &lt;a href="http://xads.zedo.com/ads2/r?n=558;c=368/9;s=262;x=2304;u=j;z=[timestamp]" target="_blank"&gt;&lt;img border="0" width="300" height="250" src="http://xads.zedo.com/ads2/x?n=558;c=368/9;s=262;x=2304;u=j;z=[timestamp]" alt="Click here"&gt;&lt;/a&gt; &lt;/noscript&gt; </iframe> <!-- end ZEDO for channel: - Jefferson City _ NewsTribune , publisher: Jefferson City _ NewsTribune , Ad Dimension: Medium Rectangle - 300 x 250 -->
</td></tr></tbody></table> KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - The pending purchase of St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch would make a Kansas City beer maker Missouri's largest brewer.

Established in 1989, homegrown Boulevard Brewing Co. has quietly climbed the ranks of the nations largest brewers. The Brewers Association says Boulevard is the eighth-largest domestic craft brewer in the United States. Boulevard beers are now available in 13 states.

Once Belgium-based brewer InBev completes its $52 billion purchase of Anheuser-Busch, Boulevard would take over the No. 1 slot in Missouri brewers.

Anheuser-Busch dwarfs Boulevard in production, brewing 160 million barrels of beer annually compared with the 142,000 barrels Boulevard expects to produce this year. Boulevard production has tripled since 2000.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q158/dujac/politics/boulevard_wheat.jpg

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2008, 10:26 PM
sorry, i can't edit those ads out of there. THe edit screen goes blank.

Nzoner
07-16-2008, 10:28 PM
I made a comment about this very thing in the thread about the buy-out the other day,not that it really matters that focking AB product was pure swill anyhow.

SPATCH
07-16-2008, 10:29 PM
ya know... i think i WOULD like to learn more about LASIK... thanks

Oh, and SUCK IT St Louis

Third Eye
07-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Too bad Boulevard is terrible. Schlafly FTW.

Pablo
07-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Too bad Boulevard is terrible. Schlafly FTW.Wrong.

Third Eye
07-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Wrong.

Actually, Augusta Brewing is better than either, but they are too small.

SPchief
07-16-2008, 11:19 PM

Seriously?

Pablo
07-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Seriously?I think he's trying to attain a new level of beer-snobbery on CP.

Third Eye
07-16-2008, 11:23 PM
I think he's trying to attain a new level of beer-snobbery on CP.

While I may be a beer snob, that isn't my goal per se. I just am a big fan of wheat bears, and Boulevard Wheat is terrible IMO.

SPchief
07-16-2008, 11:25 PM
While I may be a beer snob, that isn't my goal per se. I just am a big fan of wheat bears, and Boulevard Wheat is terrible IMO.

Your obsession with "STL is better than KC" is clearly showing

Spott
07-16-2008, 11:28 PM

STL is more ghetto than KC, not sure if that makes it better though.

Third Eye
07-16-2008, 11:30 PM

Because I feel that a beer is better? :shake: My distaste for Boulevard started when I was a resident of KC.

Consistent1
07-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Um, aren't they still going to be in the state? Don't get that one.

KcMizzou
07-16-2008, 11:45 PM
All BS aside, Boulevard Wheat is a damned tasty brew.

Phobia
07-16-2008, 11:47 PM
They should have named it something other than a Wheat though. It's nothing like your typical wheat beers which have a very distinct flavor. Wheat lovers will typically find Blvd Wheat to be distasteful.

I'm a big fan of the Pale.

Ari Chi3fs
07-16-2008, 11:51 PM
BLVD Rocks the hizzouse.

Third Eye
07-17-2008, 12:02 AM
They should have named it something other than a Wheat though. It's nothing like your typical wheat beers which have a very distinct flavor. Wheat lovers will typically find Blvd Wheat to be distasteful.

The wheat was all I ever tried and I disliked it so much I never tried anything else. I've been told I would like the Bully Porter, as I like stouts in addition to hefes.

Reaper16
07-17-2008, 12:04 AM
GTFO

Third Eye
07-17-2008, 12:10 AM
GTFO

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. My first neg rep and it is for not liking a brand of beer. Wow.

Reaper16
07-17-2008, 12:12 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. My first neg rep and it is for not liking a brand of beer. Wow.
LMAO

Baconeater
07-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Um, aren't they still going to be in the state? Don't get that one.

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my mind around that one too.

Reaper16
07-17-2008, 12:47 AM
I'm having a little trouble wrapping my mind around that one too.
Not largest brewery. Largest brewer, as in company that brews. "Anheuser-Busch--In Bev" can hardly be considered a MO brewer.

KcMizzou
07-17-2008, 12:50 AM
They said it's the biggest domestic brewery.

I assume that since Anheuser-Busch is now owned by foreigners... it is. (?)

Reaper16
07-17-2008, 12:53 AM
They said it's the biggest domestic brewery.

I assume that since Anheuser-Busch is now owned by foreigners... it is. (?)
Yes. In Bev, the parent company, is based in Belgium. So AB is now a limb of a Belgian brewer.

Baconeater
07-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Not largest brewery. Largest brewer, as in company that brews. "Anheuser-Busch--In Bev" can hardly be considered a MO brewer.

Are they not brewing in MO anymore? Sounds like a bit of a reach to me.

SPchief
07-17-2008, 01:02 AM

Change it to biggest american owned brewery in MO would work

Reaper16
07-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Again, the AB plant is still the largest brewery in the state of MO. But it isn't the largest brewer; In Bev is a Belgium-based brewer. The STL brewery is just a part of the company.

If there was an MillerCoors brewery in Omaha, you wouldn't consider MillerCoors to be principally a Nebraska brewer, would you?

Miles
07-17-2008, 01:40 AM
If there was an MillerCoors brewery in Omaha, you wouldn't consider MillerCoors to be principally a Nebraska brewer, would you?

I would if the beer had as many associations with Omaha and had been there for over 150 years.

Subterranean Alien
07-17-2008, 01:52 AM
I've always viewed AB like I do McDonalds. It's not necessarily a better product, but since they see the commercials, and all their friends drinking it, they drink it too.

biggunns
07-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Uh ya they will still be in the state.....so explain to us how this beer that tastes like piss will take over the #1 slot???:doh!:

Fairplay
07-17-2008, 06:23 AM

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/1260

I beg your pardon. Beer advocate gives boulevard wheat beer a B-.

Personally i give it an A-. I love it.

Radar Chief
07-17-2008, 07:08 AM

Itís a very close representation of a German Hefeweizen. Add a slice of orange or lemon and thatís what I used to buy at the Biergarten in Wurzburg.

jiveturkey
07-17-2008, 07:13 AM
I don't love the wheat but all of the other Boulevards are great IMO.

The Bully is my fav.

tomahawk kid
07-17-2008, 07:33 AM
This makes me want to go and buy a 20 pack of Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat.

Bob's '47 is probably my favorite Boulevard Brew, but since it's a seasonal I probably consume more Wheat.

phisherman
07-17-2008, 07:35 AM
i'm not a big fan of the unfiltered wheat, it's alcohol content is a little low for me, about 4.5%

i prefer the pale ale.

Lzen
07-17-2008, 07:36 AM

Yes sir!!! Mmmmmm!!

Just picked up a sampler 12 pack the other day. Some new stuff I had never heard of. Zon? I do like the stout. Lunar - eh.

Lzen
07-17-2008, 07:37 AM
The wheat was all I ever tried and I disliked it so much I never tried anything else. I've been told I would like the Bully Porter, as I like stouts in addition to hefes.

Oh yes, Bully porter is another good one.

Lonewolf Ed
07-17-2008, 07:42 AM
I'd been waiting all week to rub it in with the Bud driver (I work in a liquor store), so yesterday, when he was in the cooler, I snuck in the back and crept up close, then said loudly, "Bon Dieu, mon frere!" I think that means "Good God, my brother!" and not "Good morning, my friend," but the only complete sentence I know in French is "Frappe mon penis, du bastard!" Anyhow, he wouldn't know the difference. The point was to insult him but it turned out even better since he had no idea I was there. He was hunched over, stocking the very bottom shelf and when I said that, he jumped straight up. He said I scared him so bad, when he jumped up he about pulled a hammy! If not for the cooler fans, I'd have probably been able to hear his heart pounding in his chest. ROFL

Redrum_69
07-17-2008, 07:43 AM
we need more Modelo....

KCUnited
07-17-2008, 07:47 AM
I never understood why Wheat gets most of the attention. The Pale Ale is way better imo. But of course I've never understood why it cost 3.75 to 4.75 for a glass of Blvd. in Kansas City establishments as well.

Radar Chief
07-17-2008, 07:52 AM
I never understood why Wheat gets most of the attention. The Pale Ale is way better imo.

Their Wheat is pretty good, but their Pale Ale is delectable.
It's the best pale ale I've had.

StcChief
07-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Actually, Augusta Brewing is better than either, but they are too small.
one of my favorite hang outs. Schlafly has some good beers but overall BLVD is better consistently.

and again are they not brewing at AB. despite who the parent owner is? Swill or not.

Lonewolf Ed
07-17-2008, 07:56 AM
I never understood why Wheat gets most of the attention. The Pale Ale is way better imo. But of course I've never understood why it cost 3.75 to 4.75 for a glass of Blvd. in Kansas City establishments as well.

Wherever I go, Blvd. costs the same as most other draws of good beer. Has anyone mentioned the dry stout? That one is my favorite.

Lzen
07-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Their Wheat is pretty good, but their Pale Ale is delectable.
It's the best pale ale I've had.

Have you tried the Holy Grail Pale Ale at the Blind Tiger in Topeka? Yum.

KCUnited
07-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Wherever I go, Blvd. costs the same as most other draws of good beer. Has anyone mentioned the dry stout? That one is my favorite.

Agreed, but the other beers weren't shipped from a mile away.

Frazod
07-17-2008, 08:00 AM
I see Ari's St. Louis penis envy is alive and well. :rolleyes:

jiveturkey
07-17-2008, 08:08 AM
This makes me want to go and buy a 20 pack of Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat.

Bob's '47 is probably my favorite Boulevard Brew, but since it's a seasonal I probably consume more Wheat.
I forget about Bob's. I'm changing my fav to Bob's.

Anyong Bluth
07-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Only a good thing. Boulevard is one of the best beers in the country.

I'd put them, Walter Payton's Roundhouse Brewery in Aurora, IL, and Sierra Nevada as my top 3.

I visited the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Chico, CA. GREAT place if you get the chance. Not far from San Francisco or if you're visiting any of the National Parks up in northern California- definately worth making a stop off even if a little out of your destination.

They only sell like 6 or so of their beers at retailers, but have probably 35 different beers at the brewery that you can try. They have a gorgeous restaurant and huge beer garden- which is really like a garden. You can do the sampler, which will let your try like 15-20 of them. Absolutely fantastic beer, and some of the beers are loaded with booze b/c you don't have the same restrictions on alcohol % like you do for mass produced commercial beers. I got pretty f*cked up just off the sampler, and I have a pretty high tolerance and can't usually get even a good buzz if I am just drinking beer after beer.

Walter Payton's is debatable the best beer place I've ever tried. Went there to meet with a few senior attorneys for dinner my 1st time there. (been back a handful of times since)

They have won a couple of European Beer Championships / Medals. They have a Scotch Ale that's a seasonal beer that is Heavenly and packs a punch. If you're ever in Chicago, you can get there by the Metra and the Brewery is right next to the train stop. The express will get ya there in about 35 minutes, and completely worth checking out. Plus, you can pick up a few growlers to take with you.

http://www.walterpaytonsroundhouse.com/content/5.html

It has been said that America's Brewing Company is the epitome to the American Brewing Tradition; not just creating quality, handcrafted, small-batch brews but creating beers that won three consecutive Gold Medals at the World Beer Cup Competitions. In 2000, Payton Pilsner won a Gold Medal as the World's Finest Bohemian Styled Pilsner. Upon receiving his award, Brewmaster Mike Rybinski mention that he had wished Walter Payton (probably the greatest football player of all time and a partner who succumbed to cancer in Nov 1999) had been in attendance. Well, this was World Beer Cup and the majority of the 2,500 people in the room had no idea who Walter was so they consoled Mike by offering their condolences for the passing of "his Brewmaster." Connie said Walter would have enjoyed the story. We believe he is enjoying it.
Mike followed in 2002, with a Gold for Payton Pilsner Light, the finest example of a European Styled Low Alcohol Beer. Beck's Light finished second, with a Silver Medal. In 2004, Mike earned his third consecutive Gold Medal for his Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout. This made America's Brewing Company the first Brewery in the history of World Beer Cup to win 3 consecutive Gold Medals. In 2006, Mike's string was broken when his "Just Call Me George" took a Silver Medal in the catagory of Baltic Porter.
In 2001, Mike received a Gold Medal at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver for his Sweetness Stout. America's Finest Sweet Stout.
You are invited to visit our 7,000 barrel, open air brewery, where you will have the opportunity to watch Brewmaster Mike Rybinski and his staff brew and bottle batches of our award-winning beers.

Rausch
07-17-2008, 08:20 AM
I plan to phase out the Natty by the end of the month and I'm looking for a new light beer.

The BLVD have any low carb offerings?...

phisherman
07-17-2008, 08:23 AM
anyone every try bells brewery stuff? they're out of comstock, michigan.

i just scored a sixer of their Hopslam, a double IPA at 10% abv. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Radar Chief
07-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Have you tried the Holy Grail Pale Ale at the Blind Tiger in Topeka? Yum.

I donít get to Topeka very often, but Iíll have to keep that in mind. :toast:

StcChief
07-17-2008, 08:25 AM
I plan to phase out the Natty by the end of the month and I'm looking for a new light beer.

The BLVD have any low carb offerings?...not really...

try the Rolling Rock Green Light. for a Pale Ale. not bad, not great.
but you're drinkin' Natty :) stepping up should be pretty easy

Shiner Hefeweisen is a good lighter wheat ale.

Anyong Bluth
07-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I still love natty. I don't really buy it ever, but when I do have it, it tastes great to me.

It's probably more of a nostalgic thing. It's pretty much the only beer I drank when I started partying in highschool.

Frazod
07-17-2008, 09:24 AM
I still love natty. I don't really buy it ever, but when I do have it, it tastes great to me.

It's probably more of a nostalgic thing. It's pretty much the only beer I drank when I started partying in highschool.

I mainly drank Busch in high school. One day many years later I was back in my hometown and ordered one at a bar for old time's sake.

It was vile. :Lin:

Valiant
07-17-2008, 10:44 AM

I think he means it by they are no longer an American beer company.. So technically Boulevard is the largest American brewer in the state..

HC_Chief
07-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Boulevard's Smokestack series is phenomenal. Double Wide IPA is my favorite beer, period. It unseated Guiness. That's a big f***ing deal for me :D

StcChief
07-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Boulevard's Smokestack series is phenomenal. Double Wide IPA is my favorite beer, period. It unseated Guiness. That's a big f***ing deal for me :D
gonna have to check those out.... haven't seen them in STL area at all.
Looked at Lukus on the 5th

OnTheWarpath58
07-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Interesting.

An American-style lager being brewed in American brewery and being bottled in America...

AB is no more foreign than it was a month ago.

Another Ari "I hate everything east of Blue Springs" thread...

OnTheWarpath58
07-17-2008, 11:04 AM
gonna have to check those out.... haven't seen them in STL area at all.
Looked at Lukus on the 5th

Paradise Valley Wine and Spirits has them.

I-44/141

Quite a drive for you...

StcChief
07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Paradise Valley Wine and Spirits has them.

I-44/141

Quite a drive for you...I'll talk to the boys at Baker's on N just W of 40.....they seem to be able to get about anything.
Just Glad it's in town....:D

Nzoner
07-17-2008, 11:35 AM
I mainly drank Busch in high school. One day many years later I was back in my hometown and ordered one at a bar for old time's sake.

My mom bought me a shirt while I was in college that read

TO HELL WITH YOUR MOUNTAINS

GIMME YOUR BUSCH

to this day I don't think she really ever got while I was laughing after reading it.

Nzoner
07-17-2008, 11:39 AM
One of my local hangouts just added New Belgiums Skinny Dip to their tap selection and I've been enjoying it quite regularly.

http://www.beerinfo.com/images/uploaded/skinny-dip.jpg

OnTheWarpath58
07-17-2008, 11:48 AM
One of my local hangouts just added New Belgiums Skinny Dip to their tap selection and I've been enjoying it quite regularly.

New Belgium is about all I've been drinking the past month or so.

Fat Tire and Skinny Dip.

Good stuff.

Lonewolf Ed
07-17-2008, 01:01 PM

It always was vile, you just know better now. With age comes wisdom!

Valiant
07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Interesting.

An American-style lager being brewed in American brewery and being bottled in America...

Other then who owns it??

Then you add that they are selling off Busch Gardens and Sea World..

Just wait in a few years after they decide to roll back production here and move it else where..

JuicesFlowing
07-17-2008, 01:28 PM

I went to the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin last June ... Guinness is definitely one of the greatest beers ever. I haven't tried the Smokestack series yet, but eventually will. Autumn and winter are great months for the dark beers ...

StcChief
07-17-2008, 01:32 PM

Fat Tire and Skinny Dip.

Good stuff.the Skinny Dip is good.

even more summer ales....

Sam Summer Ale

Schlafly Kolsch Summer Ale

Goose Island Kolsch

HC_Chief
07-17-2008, 01:36 PM

Fat Tire and Skinny Dip.

Good stuff.

I was on a Fat Tire kick for a long while. That's a tasty brew! :thumb:

HC_Chief
07-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I went to the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin last June ... Guinness is definitely one of the greatest beers ever. I haven't tried the Smokestack series yet, but eventually will. Autumn and winter are great months for the dark beers ...

Guinness, done right, is a beautiful thing. :D

The Double Wide IPA is an Imperial. If you like IPAs, you'll definitely enjoy Boulevard's Double. Be warned: it is STRONG.

If you like double & triple ales, the Smokestack series is for you. I tried them all and loved every one of them. The Double Wide was simply the best IMO.

Their triple ale is called Long Strange Triple. The quadruple, which will knock most people on their ass before the bottle is done, is called Sixth Glass.

There is also a sazion called Saizon, but I found it to be no more than a Chimay clone (and I'm not a big fan of Chimay; it's okay, but vastly overrated IMO)

Pitt Gorilla
07-17-2008, 01:43 PM
All BS aside, Boulevard Wheat is a damned tasty brew.Absolutely. Great beer.

Radar Chief
07-17-2008, 02:40 PM

The Double Wide IPA is an Imperial. If you like IPAs, you'll definitely enjoy Boulevard's Double. Be warned: it is STRONG.

If you like double & triple ales, the Smokestack series is for you. I tried them all and loved every one of them. The Double Wide was simply the best IMO.

Their triple ale is called Long Strange Triple. The quadruple, which will knock most people on their ass before the bottle is done, is called Sixth Glass.

There is also a sazion called Saizon, but I found it to be no more than a Chimay clone (and I'm not a big fan of Chimay; it's okay, but vastly overrated IMO)

:drool: I can't get those here for some reason. :cuss:

BigVE
07-17-2008, 02:50 PM

Funny, for me the Sixth Glass was the best by far. Absolutely loved it and it's high gravity too. The Long Strange Triple was pretty good but if you want a good triple I stick with New Belgium's Trippel Ale...it's cheaper and better and about 7.9% alcohol by volume!

Ari Chi3fs
07-17-2008, 04:08 PM

Skinny Dip, USED to be LOFT, which was my favorite beer.

Ari Chi3fs
07-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Interesting.

Where is my first "I hate everything east of Blue Springs" thread?