PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Stupid Question

cardken
07-17-2008, 08:56 AM
I read the Chiefs are like 24 million dollars under the Salary Cap, WTF? Why are'nt we more aggresive in the Free Agent market? I understand the majority of the Planeteers here are all about "rebuilding and the young movement" but a vetern or two to lead the way would be nice, right? More on the Offensive side of the ball, as we have veterns like Edwards and Surtan on Defense.:shake:

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Who do you want them to sign??? There is nobody out there that fits what they are trying to do. You don't blow cap room just because you have it. Save it for when we really need it.

chasedude
07-17-2008, 09:13 AM
We still have a bunch of draft picks to sign yet. I'm sure that will fill up the Cap quickly

kepp
07-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Stupid answer: Carl Peterson

Phobia
07-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Who do you want them to sign??? There is nobody out there that fits what they are trying to do. You don't blow cap room just because you have it. Save it for when we really need it.
You can't save cap room.

Answering the original question, the Chiefs are pretty cheap. Small market team pinching pennies and going through a stadium renovation.

smittysbar
07-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Flat screens in the shiters

Demonpenz
07-17-2008, 09:22 AM
We are saving room for when pennington gets cut

SBK
07-17-2008, 09:29 AM
We'll sign an S convert him to CB for that money. Perhaps a TE/FB type.

Rooster
07-17-2008, 09:35 AM
We are saving room for when pennington gets cut

:eek::eek: Don't say things like that out loud. :doh!:

Pestilence
07-17-2008, 09:40 AM
You are correct..........stupid question.

Huffman83
07-17-2008, 09:49 AM
I read the Chiefs are like 24 million dollars under the Salary Cap, WTF? Why are'nt we more aggresive in the Free Agent market? I understand the majority of the Planeteers here are all about "rebuilding and the young movement" but a vetern or two to lead the way would be nice, right? More on the Offensive side of the ball, as we have veterns like Edwards and Surtan on Defense.:shake:

Because you touch yourself at night! :evil:

Deberg_1990
07-17-2008, 09:53 AM

You realize you just answered your own question right??

You may not agree with the way they are building the team, but this is what they have chosen to do.

Just Deal with it and have fun watching the games.

Micjones
07-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Successful teams know that any real rebuilding project does involve the acquisition of key FA contributors.

I'd really gotten over how apathetic the Chiefs were during Free Agency, but seeing this thread chaps me all over again.

We could've added a number of young, talented FA's who would've helped to expedite and solidify our rebuilding efforts.

Like a Shane Olivea. He's good enough to play for the Superbowl Champion Giants, but not this team? The guy's 26 years old.

*Walks out of thread mumbling under his breath*

OnTheWarpath58
07-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Successful teams know that any real rebuilding project does involve the acquisition of key FA contributors.

I'd really gotten over how apathetic the Chiefs were during Free Agency, but seeing this thread chaps me all over again.

We could've added a number of young, talented FA's who would've helped to expedite and solidify our rebuilding efforts.

Like a Shane Olivea. He's good enough to play for the Superbowl Champion Giants, but not this team? The guy's 26 years old.

*Walks out of thread mumbling under his breath*

Yeah, look at all those teams that rushed out to sign Olivea...

He sat for months waiting for a deal, then signed a 1-year with the Giants to be a backup behind Diehl and McKensie.

Micjones
07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I can't think of any NFL ideology I despise more than this one.
The "what other teams do" spiel is tired.

How long he was available has no bearing on whether or not he can improve our Right Tackle position.

A dozen or more teams pass on talented players all the time.
Can he help this football team? Does he fit the profile?
That's what should matter.

OnTheWarpath58
07-17-2008, 12:50 PM
I can't think of any NFL ideology I despise more than this one.
The "what other teams do" spiel is tired.

How long he was available has no bearing on whether or not he can improve our Right Tackle position.

A dozen or more teams pass on talented players all the time.
Can he help this football team? Does he fit the profile?
That's what should matter.

A dozen, THIRTY ONE - what's the difference?

No one wanted him, so he signs a 1 year deal to be a BACK UP.

Pretty obvious what the rest of the league thinks of him. Surely there's a team who's profile he fit OTHER than the Giants...yet they ALL passed.

JuicesFlowing
07-17-2008, 12:56 PM
We still have a bunch of draft picks to sign yet. I'm sure that will fill up the Cap quickly

Exactly.

RustShack
07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Or we just don't want to blow money on free agents puting us in cap hell in a couple years. We also have players like DJ Hali, maybe Croyle if he steps up soon, and so on who will be getting extensions. It makes more sense to save the money for when we know for sure what we need then use it then instead of just screwing up our cap for the future so we can't bring in the players we need.

cardken
07-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Because you touch yourself at night! :evil:

Thats what she said. ROFL

Valiant
07-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Well hopefully we keep that cap room this year and during the season decide who is worth an extension.. We can do that correct??? Say through 8 games Hali magically has 12 sacks and we sign him to an extension using most of the money that was left over this year as a front loaded contract??

thurman merman
07-17-2008, 01:49 PM
i don't think that's a stupid question at all.

Micjones
07-17-2008, 03:00 PM
A dozen, THIRTY ONE - what's the difference?

Don't trouble yourself with fact-finding. It's overrated.
Olivea had been hit with a 4-game suspension to begin the season.
That was a big reason why teams weren't jumping at the chance to sign him.

Then, of course, there's the injury from just 1 year ago.

Oh, and I'm guessing the fact that 31 teams don't need help at Right Tackle had something to do with it.

This team certainly needs help there, but let's pass on him because the Vikings did. He's good enough to play for the Superbowl Champion Giants though.

Micjones
07-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Or we just don't want to blow money on free agents puting us in cap hell in a couple years. We also have players like DJ Hali, maybe Croyle if he steps up soon, and so on who will be getting extensions. It makes more sense to save the money for when we know for sure what we need then use it then instead of just screwing up our cap for the future so we can't bring in the players we need.

You don't save cap room in the NFL because there's a chance of failure.
And win anyway.

We didn't have to mortgage the future to bring in 1-2 moderately priced veterans who could've helped this team.

IF Croyle steps up? IF Hali steps up?
That's a reason to save cap room? On the chance that a player has a breakout season? Come on.

RJ
07-17-2008, 03:08 PM
i don't think that's a stupid question at all.

I didn't either.

There seems to be a collective assumption here that free agent = old and expensive. I really don't think that's the case.

I'm not bothered so much by the lack of FA signings as I am by what appeared to me to be a lack of effort toward FA signings.

OnTheWarpath58
07-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Don't trouble yourself with fact-finding. It's overrated.
Olivea had been hit with a 4-game suspension to begin the season.
That was a big reason why teams weren't jumping at the chance to sign him.

Then, of course, there's the injury from just 1 year ago.

Oh, and I'm guessing the fact that 31 teams don't need help at Right Tackle had something to do with it.

This team certainly needs help there, but let's pass on him because the Vikings did. He's good enough to play for the Superbowl Champion Giants though.

Yeah, every team in the league is set at right tackle EXCEPT the Chiefs.

:rolleyes:

There's a reason he's playing on a 1-year deal as a backup, and it's NOT because he was going to be suspended.

The guy was admittedly in a drug treatment center, for Christ's sake.

He lost his starting job to Jeromy ****ing Clary.

Two days passed between his suspension being rescinded, and him signing to be a back-up with the Giants.

Don't you think had ANYONE shown ANY interest in him at all, he would have held out longer for a possible starting job?

The writing was on the wall.

sedated
07-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I think the stadium renovations play a part in their cheapness. this year anyway.

blueballs
07-17-2008, 03:17 PM
need to salt that away
they can maneuver stuff around
for a QB or CB ect to be needed later

Micjones
07-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah, every team in the league is set at right tackle EXCEPT the Chiefs.

*Waving to the strawman*

I think you know that what I said was that 31 teams don't have a need at Right Tackle. That's quite a bit different from Kansas City being the only team with such a need.

Don't you think had ANYONE shown ANY interest in him at all, he would have held out longer for a possible starting job?

You keep assuming there were no other offers.
There may well have been. And Olivea may have refused them.

OnTheWarpath58
07-17-2008, 03:37 PM
*Waving to the strawman*

I think you know that what I said was that 31 teams don't have a need at Right Tackle. That's quite a bit different from Kansas City being the only team with such a need.

You keep assuming there were no other offers.
There may well have been. And Olivea may have refused them.

I think it's fair to assume that there were no offers from teams he thought he could start for.

He's not going to refuse an offer for a starting gig.

He basically signed a deal hoping he could stay clean and have his stock rise and become a commodity in 2009.

cardken
07-17-2008, 03:37 PM
I appreciate the backing of the vadility of the question. But the lack of experiance at QB is disturbing. And with the track record of injury, I would hate for us all to be standing around looking at each other if the worst did happen or worse we go out and have to spend money on duct tape like Testaverde when the "dam does break." "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." :doh!:

RustShack
07-17-2008, 04:41 PM
You don't save cap room in the NFL because there's a chance of failure.
And win anyway.

We didn't have to mortgage the future to bring in 1-2 moderately priced veterans who could've helped this team.

IF Croyle steps up? IF Hali steps up?
That's a reason to save cap room? On the chance that a player has a breakout season? Come on.

So just spend money on the free agents we don't need just becasue we have the money? Makes perfect sense.

thurman merman
07-17-2008, 08:44 PM
So just spend money on the free agents we don't need just becasue we have the money? Makes perfect sense.

i don't remember the entire free agent list from this offseason, but i would be willing to bet there was at least one wide receiver out there who is better than jeff webb.

JuicesFlowing
07-19-2008, 12:23 PM

We have some good veteran leadership on the offensive side with Brian Waters and Gonzo. I'm on board with the youth movement because we hit rock bottom last year, I hope.

acesn8s
07-19-2008, 01:03 PM
There is no such thing as a stupid question. Just Carl Peterson asking questions.

KC Tattoo
07-19-2008, 01:15 PM
This is a new era for Chiefs football hang on too your footballs its going to get good!

Ebolapox
07-19-2008, 01:16 PM
OMG CARL UR JUST BEIN CHEEP!