PDA

View Full Version : Life How to Acquire a Taste For Seafood

Buck
07-18-2008, 03:44 PM
I hate seafood, it disgusts me.

However, it is a huge food group.

How do you think I should go about acquiring a taste for it?

Thanks.

BigRock
07-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Do you have a girlfriend?

kstater
07-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Start eating it raw. After you figure out the effects of that, you'll always want cooked seafood.

luv
Eat it.

KcMizzou
I think it's just one of those things you either like or you don't.

sedated
07-18-2008, 03:48 PM
quit being a pussy

BigMeatballDave
Cannot go wrong with shrimp.

DaFace
Try dishes that the seafood is a complement to the dish rather than the focus. Shrimp, crab, and scallops are all three delicious in alfredo pastas.

Fried Meat Ball!
07-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Make sure you're eating FRESH seafood. Fresh fish shouldn't smell like "fish". It should smell like the sea.

If I were you, I'd start with the things that are the best. If you just can't get yourself to like snow crab, rock/Maine lobster, scallops and fresh shrimp, you're likely never going to like any of it.

But the best I can tell you is stay away from the stuff at the mega market. You can buy it frozen. If you buy it fresh, get it packed on ice and cook it SOON.

Stinger
07-18-2008, 03:49 PM
What is it you don't like about it texture, smell, taste, all of the above?

KC Dan
07-18-2008, 03:50 PM
friggin' dolt fan. Man up & eat it!

Donger
07-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Go to Brigantine Restaurant on Coronado. Order the bacon-wrapped jumbo shrimp stuffed with crab meat. Enjoy.

If you do not, drive your f*cking car off the bridge on your way home and rid us of your stupidity.

Buck
07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Go to Brigantine Restaurant on Coronado. Order the bacon-wrapped jumbo shrimp stuffed with crab meat. Enjoy.

If you do not, drive your f*cking car off the bridge on your way home and rid us of your stupidity.

If I dont enjoy, or if I dont go?

Donger
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
If I dont enjoy, or if I dont go?

Either.

Buck
What is it you don't like about it texture, smell, taste, all of the above?

I don't like the fishy aftertaste.

I've hated it sense being a child, and just the thought of eating something from the ocean disgusts me. I don't know why, its a weird psychological thing.

MOhillbilly
chug a pint of wild turkey and eat a bitch on the rag.

after that you can eat anything.

sedated
07-18-2008, 03:56 PM

seems the pint would make the rag easier.

Demonpenz
07-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Eat some long john silvers remember fish is good for

Braincase
07-18-2008, 03:57 PM

"Did you go sleepwalkin' and eat a jelly donut?"

SPATCH
07-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Try dishes that the seafood is a complement to the dish rather than the focus. Shrimp, crab, and scallops are all three delicious in alfredo pastas.

this is the best way... it worked for my little brother

CrazyPhuD
07-18-2008, 04:01 PM
ROFL

luv
07-18-2008, 04:02 PM
What is it with you guys and chicks being on the rag? LMAO

Baby Lee
07-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Also, you could probably wean yourself with things where seafood is an element, not the whole enchilada.
Fish Tacos, Gumbo, Crab Cakes, Pasta con Pesce, Chowder.

Buck
07-18-2008, 04:05 PM
this is the best way... it worked for my little brother

I guess I'll try that. It sucks living in San Diego and not liking Seafood, because I'm we have hundreds of Seafood Restaurants in town.

CrazyPhuD

I've hated it sense being a child, and just the thought of eating something from the ocean disgusts me. I don't know why, its a weird psychological thing.

OK you have a mental issue. I used to have the same because I grew up in KS and couldn't get good fish. **** catfish almost ruined fish for me forever.

You live in SD, if the fish has a fishy taste you got bad fish which should be rare. If you want to try less fishy fish try mahi-mahi. It's really friendly and mild.

The truth is you need to get it out of your head that it tastes like shit or it always will no matter how good it is. The mind is that powerful. Hell my first fish that I had that I liked.....sushi. It's actually quite good when done well.

I still prefer beef to fish but I can appreciate good seafood now. It's worth liking there are some awesome dishes. I still can't believe you can live in SD and not eat seafood.:spock:

Sully
I can't stand fish. I love shrimp, scallops, crab legs, lobster, clam strips... but can't stand fish. I just friggin can't do it.
But every person I have this discussion with tells me, "Oh, well you'd like 'this' fish cooked 'this' way, etc... blah blah blah..." And I never like it... ever.

Moral of the story... if you don't like fish, you probably just don't like fish.

Thing is, I wish I could eat it. i know it's so good for you, and chicken gets old.

Baby Lee
LMAO

Look out guys, she's slipped on her menses and is rolling on her back, shaking her fist and baring her teeth!!!!!

Braincase
07-18-2008, 04:06 PM
I hate seafood, it disgusts me.

However, it is a huge food group.

How do you think I should go about acquiring a taste for it?

Thanks.

Get drunk and hangout with some Japanese guys. You'll eat it. They'll question your honor and threaten you with ninjas.

blueballs
07-18-2008, 04:15 PM
the sea is one big cesspool
trust your gut

SNAFU
07-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Try the broiled swordfish steak at Anthony's Fish Grotto in Chula Vista. Damn, I miss that place!

Braincase
the sea is one big cesspool
trust your gut

Meh... so is this bulletin board, but hey, what the hell?

Fish
Inject yourself with a few grams of mercury and call it good. As an added bonus it'll curb your appetite...

Braincase
07-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Inject yourself with a few grams of mercury and call it good. As an added bonus it'll curb your appetite...

...forever...

CoMoChief
07-18-2008, 04:25 PM
I love shrimp month at red lobster. I would get the endless shrimp and my gf at the time would hate going there because I would want to eat the entire shrimp menu and she would wanna leave.

ChiefsFire
07-18-2008, 04:27 PM
I got some carp in my freezer I can sendya.....yummmm-my

Tribal Warfare
07-18-2008, 04:28 PM

I was thinking of something similar too

Fish
07-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Come to Kansas, and we'll go out and catch some Walleye, and cook it about an hour after the catch.

I don't know how you couldn't like it.

Braincase
07-18-2008, 04:36 PM
I love shrimp month at red lobster. I would get the endless shrimp and my gf at the time would hate going there because I would want to eat the entire shrimp menu and she would wanna leave.

Wait... you like Red Lobster? And you think Sasha Kaun sucks? DAAAAYUMMMMMMMMMM!

Lemme guess... you hate McCormick & Schmick's, too, right?

Bugeater
07-18-2008, 04:42 PM
You live in ****ing San Diego and you don't like seafood??? :shake:

RJ
07-18-2008, 04:48 PM

If it's the ocean that's bothering you why not eat freshwater fish like catfish and trout? Or farm raised raised freshwater fish or shrimp?

Use some farm raised tilapia and cook up some fish tacos. You'll have eliminated the ocean from the equation and the flavors of corn tortilla, lime. salsa, etc. will make you forget you're eating fish. I think that would be a good start for you.

CoMoChief
07-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Wait... you like Red Lobster? And you think Sasha Kaun sucks? DAAAAYUMMMMMMMMMM!

Lemme guess... you hate McCormick & Schmick's, too, right?

I will eat at good seafood places. The Marina at Lake Lotowana is a small place but their seafood is excellent. I am not saying Red Lobster is one of the better ones cause they're not, but it's cheap and I love shrimp and their cheddar biscuits.

And Kaun is garbage.

macdawg
07-18-2008, 05:04 PM
orange ruffy or any other white fish that is really fresh will have no fishy taste what so ever.

Braincase
07-18-2008, 05:04 PM
I will eat at good seafood places. The Marina at Lake Lotowana is a small place but their seafood is excellent. I am not saying Red Lobster is one of the better ones cause they're not, but it's cheap and I love shrimp and their cheddar biscuits.

And Kaun is making more money than I will ever make in my lifetime. Hell, that damn ring is probably worth more than my net worth.

fyp

Bugeater
07-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Those cheddar biscuits at Red Lobster ****ing rock.

CoMoChief
07-18-2008, 05:10 PM
fyp

Ryan Sims is making more than you ever will. I guess that proves your argument?!?!?

Rain Man
07-18-2008, 05:16 PM
How can someone not like "seafood"? Seafood is about 8 bajillion different things that have 8 bajillion different tastes.

SNR
07-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Remember, what you're eating isn't much different from this

http://www.sumedh.info/pictures/deep-sea/hairy-angler.png

SNR
07-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Or this

http://www.deepseaphotography.com/images/pics/deep_sea_fish_head.jpg

SNR
07-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Boy, it sure is great that I can look at shit like that in the ocean and still enjoy seafood.

Molitoth
07-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Take a trip to San Diego or San Fran and order seafood... then you will like it.

Phobia
07-18-2008, 05:27 PM
What kind of pansy retard doesn't like seafood? I mean, I understand being allergic to crustaceans but just flat out not "liking" seafood? You have a texture problem, dude.

I'd start with scallops, orange roughy, and then migrate towards shrimp, crap, then lobster. Don't ever eat salmon or you'll always hate seafood. Salmon has to be prepared perfectly.

Bugeater
07-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Take a trip to San Diego or San Fran and order seafood... then you will like it.
Ummm....

Skip Towne
07-18-2008, 05:33 PM
What kind of pansy retard doesn't like seafood? I mean, I understand being allergic to crustaceans but just flat out not "liking" seafood? You have a texture problem, dude.

I'd start with scallops, orange roughy, and then migrate towards shrimp, crap, then lobster. Don't ever eat salmon or you'll always hate seafood. Salmon has to be prepared perfectly.

That crap is especially good.

Molitoth
07-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Ummm....

You got me, I wasn't even paying attention to who posted.

Rain Man
07-18-2008, 05:38 PM
When I was in Madagascar, we ordered fish for dinner one night, and got this (picture below). I like fish, but it kind of freaks me out when the whole fish comes out on the plate. (I'm not much of a camper.) This one had all sorts of sharp little teeth grimacing up at me, too. It was tasty, though.

Buzzsaw
07-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Cross the border and head down to Puerto Nuevo, which is right between Rosarito and Ensenada. They're famous for their fresh lobster. They serve Mexican spiny tail lobster, which by far pwns any other type of lobster, including Maine lobster IMO. It's cooked over wood coals with butter and seasoning, then served with homemade rice, beans and torillas. Last time I went down to Mex I had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

These pics really don't do it justice but here you go

http://www.puertonuevolobster.com/images/Puerto-Nuevo-Pic.jpg

http://www.rosaritoinn.com/picts/baja/rosarito_clip_image020.jpg

StcChief
07-18-2008, 05:52 PM

I've hated it sense being a child, and just the thought of eating something from the ocean disgusts me. I don't know why, its a weird psychological thing. Good fish really doesn't have an "after" taste that is strong.
The Y-Pie you've ate (I presume) is much stronger smell,taste.....

man up and get past it. You are a Charger fan in S.D. (one of two) so figure it out. Pick something mild....

Buck
07-18-2008, 05:58 PM
So heres what I gather.

I should start w/ Shrimp or Scallops and work my way up?

The more I eat it, the more I will get over my "fear" of eating seafood.

Sounds good. I'll just have to force myself to order something w/ shrimp in it next time around.

Edit: I guess I could go to the Taco Shop and order a Surf and Turf Burrito, that way I get the Carne Asada w/ the Shrimp in it, so I can ween myself on to it.

Crashride
07-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Start eating it raw. After you figure out the effects of that, you'll always want cooked seafood.

Sushi never messed me up?

StcChief
07-18-2008, 06:10 PM
So heres what I gather.

Sounds good. I'll just have to force myself to order something w/ shrimp in it next time around.

Edit: I guess I could go to the Taco Shop and order a Surf and Turf Burrito, that way I get the Carne Asada w/ the Shrimp in it, so I can ween myself on to it. not sure what they have for "mild" Pacific fish in Taco's there.
here it's Whiting (Canada) kinda flaky or Talapia.

Baby Lee
07-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Use some farm raised tilapia and cook up some fish tacos.
Anybody hear that NPR report on farm raised tilapia being shockingly low in Omega fatty acids and high in bad fats? Something about their feed stock.

Bump
07-18-2008, 06:27 PM

most fish actually taste better raw

Rain Man
07-18-2008, 06:28 PM
So heres what I gather.

The funny thing is, I was going to propose the opposite. Start with Alaskan King Crab, and then move more to fish from there. If you don't like Alaskan King Crab, you're not an American.

88TG88
07-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Cross the border and head down to Puerto Nuevo, which is right between Rosarito and Ensenada. They're famous for their fresh lobster. They serve Mexican spiny tail lobster, which by far pwns any other type of lobster, including Maine lobster IMO. It's cooked over wood coals with butter and seasoning, then served with homemade rice, beans and torillas. Last time I went down to Mex I had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

These pics really don't do it justice but here you go

http://www.puertonuevolobster.com/images/Puerto-Nuevo-Pic.jpg

http://www.rosaritoinn.com/picts/baja/rosarito_clip_image020.jpg

I've been there and yes, it is pretty good.

Count Zarth
07-18-2008, 08:01 PM
I just order Clam Chowder.

RJ
07-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Anybody hear that NPR report on farm raised tilapia being shockingly low in Omega fatty acids and high in bad fats? Something about their feed stock.

Damn, and I ate a farm raised tilapia, tomato and jalapeno sandwich for dinner tonight. I am dead for sure.

Bill Parcells
07-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Try blackfish. hell, I don't know what the **** it's called in the pacific ocean. or if it even has a relative out there. but it is a white meat fish that feeds on Crustacean's in the Atlantic ocean. they are very difficult to catch, lightning quick. but it's a great thick fillet you get out of it that you can broil and does not taste fishy. it's my favorite fish to eat, followed closely by striped bass. and that's good too!

Skip Towne
07-18-2008, 08:10 PM
A crab meat salad would be a good way to start. You get a taste of the crab meat without getting overdosed on it.

Count Zarth
07-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Another dish I enjoy is blackened catfish.

Skip Towne
07-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Another dish I enjoy is blackened catfish.

Blackened trout is good too.

RJ
07-18-2008, 08:22 PM
A crab meat salad would be a good way to start. You get a taste of the crab meat without getting overdosed on it.

That's a good suggestion. My mom makes a great crab salad that is nothing more than a garden salad with crab meat and a Thousand Island sort of dressing. I can't imagine anyone not liking it.

Rain Man
07-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Another possibility would be to chug a tin of anchovies.

Phobia
07-18-2008, 08:33 PM
That's some quality advice right there. That's what I started on at 3.

RJ
07-18-2008, 08:51 PM

I used to work for an old Jewish man named Saul, I managed a pizza restaurant for him. One day in a meeting we were discussing possible menu changes. All the waitresses thought we should eliminate anchovies. Their reasoning was that they didn't sell much and that Saul and I were the only ones who ate them. Saul nixed their request and kept the anchovies.

Later, in private, Saul confided, "If you can't eat anchovies, you can't eat p***y". I've always suspected that was true.

sedated
07-18-2008, 09:22 PM
red lobster.

wtf?

luv
07-18-2008, 09:23 PM
wtf?

My thought exactly. Why aren't you out getting your drink on, mister?

sedated
07-18-2008, 09:25 PM
My thought exactly. Why aren't you out getting your drink on, mister?

i'm just a wonderful figment of your imagination

luv
07-18-2008, 09:28 PM
i'm just a wonderful figment of your imagination

Wonderful? Not quite the word I would have used. :p

Anyway....

How could anyone NOT like seafood? BK, you're just weird.

Joie
07-18-2008, 09:33 PM

Anyway....

How could anyone NOT like seafood? BK, you're just weird.

I've never liked seafood. I don't even like to handle it, serve it or deal with it at all.

sedated
07-18-2008, 09:34 PM

'well-endowed' doesn't count as one word

luv
07-18-2008, 09:41 PM
'well-endowed' doesn't count as one word

So what is your drink of choice tonight? You'd have to be drunk to think such things.

sedated
07-18-2008, 09:45 PM
So what is your drink of choice tonight?

same as every night - fish taco juice.

so wonderfully bitter

Adept Havelock
07-18-2008, 09:48 PM
same as every night - fish taco juice.

so wonderfully bitter

They had those on the menu at the Mexican restaurant I ate at tonight.

I went with the Enchilada/Soft Taco platter.

Bill Parcells
07-18-2008, 10:10 PM
They had those on the menu at the Mexican restaurant I ate at tonight.

I went with the Enchilada/Soft Taco platter.

I thought you ate strictly gefilte fish with Gold's horseradish? :D

KCChiefsMan
07-18-2008, 11:24 PM
you should try making some scallops. My favorite seafood. Sear them on a frying pan with some butter...mmm mmmm

J Diddy
07-19-2008, 12:54 AM
I used to work for an old Jewish man named Saul, I managed a pizza restaurant for him. One day in a meeting we were discussing possible menu changes. All the waitresses thought we should eliminate anchovies. Their reasoning was that they didn't sell much and that Saul and I were the only ones who ate them. Saul nixed their request and kept the anchovies.

Later, in private, Saul confided, "If you can't eat anchovies, you can't eat p***y". I've always suspected that was true.

so...

did you lick his pussy?

please no more cliffhangers

Phobia
07-19-2008, 01:01 AM
I've never liked seafood. I don't even like to handle it, serve it or deal with it at all.

Well.... you're kind of an enigma anyway, no? You don't really eat, you graze. I'm not even certain you're qualified to post in this thread.

DaneMcCloud
07-19-2008, 01:39 AM
I'd recommend starting off with some mild whitefish. Swordfish, monkfish and mahi (do you like Rubio's). Mahi mahi (dolphinfish) is mild as well.

I'd avoid stronger fish like salmon or marlin (and especially, catfish).

There are plenty of mild, fresh fish in our part of the country. You might want to try it tempura style before grilled, just so it's not as "fishy".

Count Zarth
07-19-2008, 01:53 AM
When I was in Madagascar, we ordered fish for dinner one night, and got this (picture below). I like fish, but it kind of freaks me out when the whole fish comes out on the plate. (I'm not much of a camper.) This one had all sorts of sharp little teeth grimacing up at me, too. It was tasty, though.

What the eff is that yellow drink? Is that tang?

Rain Man
07-19-2008, 01:59 AM
What the eff is that yellow drink? Is that tang?

It was either Orange Fanta or a Malagasy soda called Bonbon Anglaise. I don't recall.

Count Zarth
07-19-2008, 02:00 AM
You drank soda with fish? What kind of upper crust hoighty-toighty are you?

StcChief
07-19-2008, 08:36 AM
ROFLUmmm....

JuicesFlowing
07-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Cannot go wrong with shrimp.

I agree. Especially fried.

Joie
07-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Well.... you're kind of an enigma anyway, no? You don't really eat, you graze. I'm not even certain you're qualified to post in this thread.

You're probably right. I was basing my viewpoint on the fact that I didn't like seafood even as a kid....my brother (definitely a carnivore) doesn't like it, either.

My girls love it, though.

Skip Towne
07-19-2008, 09:20 AM
It was either Orange Fanta or a Malagasy soda called Bonbon Anglaise. I don't recall.

amnesia huh?

Skip Towne
07-19-2008, 09:39 AM

Joie would be great fun at a bar b que. You got any smoked celery?

patteeu
07-19-2008, 10:31 AM
If you like spicy foods, I'd try the plan to eat a dish that uses seafood as a component (e.g. pasta with a seafood alfredo sauce), but find one that has a little cayenne pepper in it to spice it up.

Rausch
07-19-2008, 10:48 AM
If you like spicy foods, I'd try the plan to eat a dish that uses seafood as a component (e.g. pasta with a seafood alfredo sauce), but find one that has a little cayenne pepper in it to spice it up.

Had a buddy that tossed in those teeny canned shrimp into his chili.

Yeah, sounds like $#it. But he fried them with garlic and some kind of (HOT) red pepper. They just tasted like spicy little bits. It was good.

I use to cook one filet of salmon with lemon and cut it into fourths. Cook 2 cups of white rice stir in some egg (like in egg drop soup) and mix it all up with 1/4 of the fish.

Rain Man
07-19-2008, 02:15 PM
You drank soda with fish? What kind of upper crust hoighty-toighty are you?

It was a light soda. Coke is more for beef.

Rain Man
07-19-2008, 02:17 PM
amnesia huh?

I don't remember.

Man, that line never gets old.

Joie
07-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Joie would be great fun at a bar b que. You got any smoked celery?

Zucchini and portobello mushrooms are awesome on the grill. And I love BBQ sauce. Aces never complains....and has been able to increase his culinary skills on the grill.

Skip Towne
07-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Zucchini and portobello mushrooms are awesome on the grill. And I love BBQ sauce. Aces never complains....and has been able to increase his culinary skills on the grill.

Sounds delicious. I'll bet you don't weigh 100 lbs.

Joie
07-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Sounds delicious. I'll bet you don't weigh 100 lbs.

You're right, I don't. I weigh a touch more than that. You see, I have a serious sweet tooth. :D

Nightfyre
07-19-2008, 02:39 PM
You're right, I don't. I weigh a touch more than that. You see, I have a serious sweet tooth. :D

Sweets, where?!

Joie
07-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Sweets, where?!

We're out :evil:

Nightfyre
07-19-2008, 02:42 PM
We're out :evil:

Oh, well I better go get some more. AFKBRB

Skip Towne
07-19-2008, 02:43 PM

Those pants make your butt look big.

Joie
07-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Those pants make your butt look big.

Hey! I have a nice ass.

Baby Lee
07-19-2008, 02:54 PM

I could be your Jack Spratt. Loves me some meat and potatoes, and while I don't dislike sweets, I can go eons without it without missing it. I've gone years at a pop without ice cream, without thinking of or craving it once.

|Zach|
07-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Also, you could probably wean yourself with things where seafood is an element, not the whole enchilada.
Fish Tacos, Gumbo, Crab Cakes, Pasta con Pesce, Chowder.

As far as the original post I agree with Skip and BL. Try some different things that are compliments.

Although it is interesting a handful of people are recommending scallops early on. I would say scallops are pretty far down the list for someone trying to get into seafood. Their texture alone is off putting to a lot of people.

I really enjoy seafood, always have. Working in fine dining really expanded my horizons with it though. A lot of times if someone doesn't want something "too" fishy I recommend swordfish. It isn't for everyone but it is pretty meaty and can be good if prepared right whereas someone would want to stay away from something like sole. If you are doing something on your own I would go with orange roughy, it is hard to mess up and pretty tasty.

sedated
07-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Hey! I have a nice ass.

I will require proof.

I need pictures. close-ups. from my camera. that's hidden in the tip of my penis.