PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock- I'm lowering my expectations for the Chiefs this season

C-Mac
07-19-2008, 09:53 PM
I’m lowering my expectations for the Chiefs this season (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/712204.html)

We have to reach an understanding about the upcoming Chiefs season. Things will be very different on the field and in this column.

We’ve never covered a rebuilding football team. I’m not sure I know how. I just know things will be very different, and we’ll all have to bring fresh perspective and expectations into this new season.

When I arrived here in September 1994, the Chiefs were fresh off an appearance in the AFC championship game, and Joe Montana had this entire region dreaming about a return to the Super Bowl.

Every year since then, we’ve analyzed and scrutinized the Chiefs from that point of view: Can they reach the Super Bowl?

That foundation made column writing easy. There were heroes to celebrate and villains to demonize on a year-round basis. We ran Paul Hackett, the kicker that shall go unamed and Elvis Grbac out of town. We campaigned for Chester McGlockton, Ty Law and Jeff George, believing they were the missing ingredient to a Super Bowl team.

We wondered why Marty didn’t like Rich Gannon, why Vermeil hated Larry Johnson, why Gunther said goofy things and whether Herm could spell o-f-f-e-n-s-e.

We admired Marcus Allen’s leadership, Derrick Thomas’ ability to chase quarterbacks, Will Shields’ consistency, Willie Roaf’s tenacity, James Hasty’s physicality and Priest Holmes’ willingness to speak gibberish, eat nachos and run the football.

Best of all, we gave The Artist Formerly Known as King Carl a nickname, exposed him for wearing a kilt, blasted his drafting of Trezelle Jenkins, contract-negotiating technique, choice of black leather on hot days and his decisions to make it rain on Carlton Gray, Eric Warfield and Kendrick Bell.

This year we will be working with table scraps. The stakes aren’t very high, the story lines aren’t all that compelling, and the Chiefs don’t have an in-their-prime superstar to carry the team.

Jared Allen closed the bar when he took his wild-man act to Minneapolis. He was our Reggie Jackson, the straw that stirs the drink, a beast on and off the field.

Let’s take a look at what’s left:

•Larry Johnson: He’s coming off an injury. He might be past his prime. He’s moody. And Kansas City’s offensive line is likely to struggle, which could cause L.J. to mope all season.

•Tony Gonzalez: He’s still a great player, but he creates much less local buzz now that he’s “married” and no longer a fixture in the basement of Mi Cocina. There’s a study being done on what caused more damage to Plaza nightlife, Gonzalez’s commitment ceremony or the opening of the Power & Light District.

•Derrick Johnson: Has yet to put it all together and become a consistent force on the field. The poor man’s Shawne "roidman" Merriman might be a rich man’s Kendrick Bell.

•Brian Waters: Big Weazie is always quotable win or lose, but he’s a freaking offensive lineman. Unless you’re Warren Sapp, football players over 300 pounds aren’t all that compelling (unless they take up column writing).

•Donnie Edwards: Don Juan is approaching 40 and is much too level-headed and conservative to provide any real locker-room spark.

•Tamba Hali: Former first-round pick needs to take over as team’s No. 1 pass rusher now that Allen has moved. I just don’t see Tamba as a 15-sack guy.

So here are our options for dramatic story lines:

•1. Brodie Croyle needs to shock the world and show flashes of being a legitimate starting NFL quarterback.

•2. The Louisiana Purchases — Glenn Dorsey and Dwayne Bowe — have to be stone-cold ballers.

There’s a better chance of No. 2 than No. 1. Bowe had a very good rookie season, and he plays the right position, receiver. He could develop into a bigger-than-life personality, a player that gives the Chiefs some swagger.

Dorsey could do the same thing on the defensive side. A spectacular three-technique defensive tackle can elevate the play of a team’s defensive ends, middle linebacker and safeties.

The problem with all of this is we’re going to be counting on young people. It’s unlikely we’ll able to rush to any quick conclusions. Dorsey might look like a bum one week and the second coming of Mean Joe Greene the next week. The same can be said of Brodie Croyle.

This season is going to require patience. When you’re dealing with young people, you have to be firm and soft all at the same time.

What I’m saying is don’t pick up this column expecting to read flame-throwing vitriol every week. I’m going to try not to get too excited or too depressed after every game or practice. The Chiefs are rebuilding, and I’ll need to rebuild my Chiefs columns right along with them.

Don’t worry. This new approach will not affect my mistreatment of The Artist Formerly Known as King Carl.

Count Zarth
07-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Who is Kendrick Bell?

Otherwise, grade-A effort, jwhit. I enjoyed.

Fish
07-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey Kansas City Chiefs,

**** you guys. All you vets are bums.

Now talk about me.

Signed,

Jason Whitlock

SNR
07-19-2008, 10:04 PM
We campaigned for... Jeff George, believing they were the missing ingredient to a Super Bowl team.
Whitlock must be using the royal "we", I assume

Count Zarth
07-19-2008, 10:05 PM
The Louisiana Purchases — Glenn Dorsey and Dwayne Bowe — have to be stone-cold ballers.

This is pretty awesome. I think it's on the TrINT level.

Fruit Ninja
07-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Who is Kendrick Bell?

Otherwise, grade-A effort, jwhit. I enjoyed.

lol, i think he meant to misspell his name. Emitt Smiff.

Guru
07-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Shit, I lower my expectations every year and they still manage to get lower than I expected.

DeezNutz
07-19-2008, 10:17 PM
We ran Paul Hackett, the kicker that shall go unamed and Elvis Grbac out of town.

Was this dude related to Kendrick? Spieling is overated. /Nick Athan/

SNR
07-19-2008, 10:18 PM
This is pretty awesome. I think it's on the TrINT level.I didn't know Phobia coined the Louisiana Purchase

JuicesFlowing
07-19-2008, 10:19 PM
"Too depressed"? As if he want's them to win? "We campaigned" for Jeff George??? WHAT? Larry Johnson past his prime???? WTF?????????? I Hate whitlock! What a bastard!!!!!!!!

Guru
07-19-2008, 10:20 PM
This is pretty awesome. I think it's on the TrINT level.

Hell, I emailed Whitlock with the damn TrINT spelling before he ever put it in print. That bastard.:cuss:

JuicesFlowing
07-19-2008, 10:21 PM
PS : Dwayne Bowe IS a stone cold baller ... last time I checked. Whitlock is a freaking beauty ... (jackass)

JuicesFlowing
07-19-2008, 10:25 PM
"Brodie Croyle needs to shock the world" ... wow. He's really pouring mud on Croyle there. Bodie isn't that bad of a quarterback last time I checked. it takes a good o-line to help with that. I hate everything about this article ...

chiefs1111
07-19-2008, 10:28 PM
What id like to know is when did we ever campaign to sign Jeff George? I really don't remember.

JuicesFlowing
07-19-2008, 10:34 PM
What id like to know is when did we ever campaign to sign Jeff George? I really don't remember.

Whitlock is too ashamed to take full responsibility for Jeff George, so he lumps Chiefs Nation into it. Nicely done. "We."

DeezNutz
07-19-2008, 10:34 PM

Is this the first time you've read a Whitlock column?

StcChief
07-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Whitlock must be using the royal "we", I assume
yeah... not sure anybody by him thought Jeff George was worth a F.

Guru
07-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Is this the first time you've read a Whitlock column?ROFL:doh!:

JuicesFlowing
07-19-2008, 11:00 PM
LJ isn't in his prime? Man, LJ is just a dead horse. Wow, LJ is dead weight. ???? I'm glad I'm not exposed to Shitlock's writing everyday ...

Buehler445
07-19-2008, 11:10 PM
WHAT?!??!?!?!?! We're not winning the Superbowl???!??!??!!!

BULLSHIT!!!!11!!!!

[/sarcasm]

Deberg_1990
07-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Bodie isn't that bad of a quarterback last time I checked.

Hes not that great either.

JuicesFlowing
07-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Hes not that great either.

True. He is 0-6 but no LJ, a porous line, and Mike Solari didn't help him.

ChiefsCountry
07-20-2008, 12:39 AM

1997 it was between Jeff George and Elvis Grbac.

Mecca
07-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Um by RB standards LJ is past his prime, look at his age and then you factor in the 400 carry year, he's past his prime.

Honestly unless you're a rare exception a RB in his 2nd contract is past his prime.

Ari Chi3fs
07-20-2008, 12:59 AM
I expect 3rd pick in the draft or better. Mark it down, folks. You heard it here first.

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2008, 01:37 AM
True. He is 0-6 but no LJ, a porous line, and Mike Solari didn't help him.

Either did injuries and bad decision making when he had time behind the "porous" line.

I hope the guy is a winning QB but he's hardly a sure thing.

alanm
07-20-2008, 03:09 AM
When I arrived here in September 1994, the Chiefs were fresh off an appearance in the AFC championship game, and Joe Montana had this entire region dreaming about a return to the Super BowlAnyone but me notice that since Whitlock has been writing about the Chiefs since Sept 94 the Chiefs haven't won a playoff game?
Coincidence??? I think not. :hmmm:

Time to send his ass over to the Denver Post or Rocky Mnt News to cover the Bronco's. :evil:

Fruit Ninja
07-20-2008, 03:22 AM
Either did injuries and bad decision making when he had time behind the "porous" line.

I hope the guy is a winning QB but he's hardly a sure thing.

I dont think he made bad choices when he had time to throw. Then again, there wasnt very many chances to make a decent throw. He was running for his life 90 percent of the time.

The real reason why i wont judge Brodie after last year is because of the game that Huard was pulled. He was physically a broken football player. He did NOT want to go back in there, they just broke him in half. I don't think I have ever seen a Quarterback look like that. That was ALL due to how bad our O-line was. The year before he did pretty damn well with a so so line. Last year, not even Payton could have stood a chance.

Chief Chief
07-20-2008, 05:37 AM
I agree with kcxiv.

TEX
07-20-2008, 07:01 AM
The problem is, thanks to last year's mess by Carl and Herm, we're a year behind on this rebuilding job. Anyone who knew anything could see what was going to happen before the season started with the OL and QB situations and the offense in general. But NOOOOOOOO, the Chiefs had to wait for it to all collapse before backing into a rebuild. Now those who didn't, wouldn't, or couldn't see it coming are the very ones in charge of said rebuild. Herm is more schrewed than he is good coaching material, as it all probably did serve to buy him more time.

Spott
07-20-2008, 07:13 AM
1997 it was between Jeff George and Elvis Grbac.

Boy, what an iidiot Carl was back then(and still is). We had Gannon on the roster as our QB and Carl pursued these 2 schmucks to be the next QBOTF.

:cuss:

Lonewolf Ed
07-20-2008, 08:37 AM
I think my expectations for this coming season are already as low as they need to be.

milkman
07-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Boy, what an iidiot Carl was back then(and still is). We had Gannon on the roster as our QB and Carl pursued these 2 schmucks to be the next QBOTF.

:cuss:

I don't think Carl ever persued George.

Whitlock has just been spluging all over George for years.

Extra Point
07-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Can I have the five minutes back that I spent reading his obviouservations?

JuicesFlowing
07-20-2008, 09:01 AM
When has Whitlock ever had ANY expectations for the Chiefs?

milkman
07-20-2008, 09:08 AM
When has Whitlock ever had ANY expectations for the Chiefs?

How about '98(?), when he was talking 16-0?

dorseybowe
07-20-2008, 09:50 AM
http://newmedia.funnyjunk.com/pictures/catfun-skryt.jpg

Ebolapox
07-20-2008, 09:57 AM
eh, my expectations are already as low as can be. I wouldn't be shocked by 2-14, and I'm pretty sure a few more yeas of sh*ttiness would be better for the organization than a few more years of 8-8 or 7-9

Simply Red
07-20-2008, 10:43 AM
well done Big Sexy.

J Diddy
07-20-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't think Carl ever persued George.

Whitlock has just been spluging all over George for years.

oh he made an offer, george just chose oakland instead

we won the grbac sweepstakes

R&GHomer
07-20-2008, 11:28 AM

Ass hate campaigned for Jeff, no one else in their right mind wanted that clown as our QB. Seriously, whitlock just flat out sucks.

Deberg_1990
07-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Ass hate campaigned for Jeff, no one else in their right mind wanted that clown as our QB. Seriously, whitlock just flat out sucks.

Actually, if we would have picked up George when JWhit originally campaigned for him (1997) then who knows what might have happened??

George had one hell of a season in 97. Look up the stats

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GeorJe00.htm?redir

R&GHomer
07-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Actually, if we would have picked up George when JWhit originally campaigned for him (1997) then who knows what might have happened??

George had one hell of a season in 97. Look up the stats

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GeorJe00.htm?redir

The sun shines on a dog's ass from time to time. Honestly, it's a toss up between him and ****bac but I don't really think it would have made much of a difference. They both sucked

JuicesFlowing
07-20-2008, 12:20 PM
The problem is, thanks to last year's mess by Carl and Herm, we're a year behind on this rebuilding job. Anyone who knew anything could see what was going to happen before the season started with the OL and QB situations and the offense in general. But NOOOOOOOO, the Chiefs had to wait for it to all collapse before backing into a rebuild. Now those who didn't, wouldn't, or couldn't see it coming are the very ones in charge of said rebuild. Herm is more schrewed than he is good coaching material, as it all probably did serve to buy him more time.

I partly agree, but as we saw the previous year, they tried to tinker their way through the season without scrapping the entire heap. They could have started rebuilding the year before, but they just happened to sneak into the playoffs ... probably a bad thing, in retrospect.

Rain Man
07-20-2008, 12:55 PM
If Larry comes back strong and one of our kickers comes through and Croyle shows flashes and Dorsey and Albert and Flowers do well and Derrick Johnson is unleashed and Bowe becomes a star and Herm and Carl get fired, we're in the Super Bowl. I guarantee it.

RustShack
07-20-2008, 01:02 PM
If Larry comes back strong and one of our kickers comes through and Croyle shows flashes and Dorsey and Albert and Flowers do well and Derrick Johnson is unleashed and Bowe becomes a star and Herm and Carl get fired, we're in the Super Bowl. I guarantee it.

All sounds realistic, except Carl & Herm getting fired.

Deberg_1990
07-20-2008, 01:03 PM
The sun shines on a dog's ass from time to time.

He was a better QB than hes given credit for. However, he wouldnt have led any team to a Title.

He didnt have the leadership ability and intangilbles to make a consistant winner.

Otter
07-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Don’t worry. This new approach will not affect my mistreatment of The Artist Formerly Known as King Carl.

Hehe

Halfcan
07-20-2008, 01:49 PM
I think Jwit has been trolling lots of threads on the Planet to come up with that-but he did a nice job though!

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 01:52 PM
I think Jwit has been trolling lots of threads on the Planet to come up with that-but he did a nice job though!

I actually looked up his account, and supposedly he hasn't been active since Feb. I'd be shocked if he weren't lurking, however.

Halfcan
07-20-2008, 02:04 PM
I actually looked up his account, and supposedly he hasn't been active since Feb. I'd be shocked if he weren't lurking, however.

The planet has been his source of "Inspiration" for years-lol

blueballs
07-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Grbac and Bono catch alot of shit -but they fall into mediocre and above
last year's QB play falls into a category not seen in eons for the Chiefs
Chief fans are spoiled by mediocrity -now bizarre

Skip Towne
07-20-2008, 02:52 PM

Did you look up "Big Sexy"?

Lonewolf Ed
07-20-2008, 03:00 PM

Nah, our special teams will blow it in round one of the playoffs! ROFL

ILChief
07-20-2008, 03:12 PM
How is the Plaza nightlife now the the P&L district has opened? I haven't been to KC since it opened. Is the Plaza still "cool"? My wife really enjoyed going there. It's usually where we stay when we're in town. I don't want to go there if it's dead now.

J Diddy
07-20-2008, 03:15 PM

that's inactive since 04

KCChiefsFan88
07-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Considering my expectations have been 0-16 for this season, I don't see how I can lower my expectations any lower.

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM

JWhit.

Could he be the Vulture?

J Diddy
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Considering my expectations have been 0-16 for this season, I don't see how I can lower my expectations any lower.

they lose a game so bad that the nfl assesses two losses for it

Skip Towne
07-20-2008, 03:19 PM
JWhit.

Could he be the Vulture?

He posts as both Jwhit and Big Sexy.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:27 PM
what a lame column.

***SPRAYER
07-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Was it before or after Steve Bono?

boogblaster
07-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Piss-poor .....

Deberg_1990
07-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Was it before or after Steve Bono?

Its been mentioned a few times earlier in the thread, but it was 97 before we signed Grbac.

If i remember correctly, Carl and Marty had George in for an interview but he sort of rubbed them the wrong way with his arrogance. (Imagine that?)

Its been a loong time obviously, but i remember a Whitlock column mentioning this incident.

George went on to have a great season in Oakland that year, but the Chiefs obviously had a great year without him.

OnTheWarpath58
07-20-2008, 04:06 PM

And the ChiefsPlanet "Ray of Sunshine" makes an appearance...

Put your money where your mouth is.

I'll bet you $20 that the Chiefs will win a game before the bye week.

Mecca
07-20-2008, 04:12 PM
And the ChiefsPlanet "Ray of Sunshine" makes an appearance...

Put your money where your mouth is.

I'll bet you $20 that the Chiefs will win a game before the bye week.

Which game are they gonna win...

OnTheWarpath58
07-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Which game are they gonna win...

IMO, they have a better than 50/50 shot to win against Oakland, Atlanta or Carolina.

Hell, Denver's so ****ed up right now, anything could happen against them.

My point was that Captain Blowhard likes to spout off about an 0-16 season, but doesn't have the balls to put his money where his mouth is. Not only will the Chiefs not go winless for the entire season, they'll win before the bye week.

DT58HOF
07-20-2008, 04:29 PM
LJ isn't in his prime? Man, LJ is just a dead horse. Wow, LJ is dead weight. ???? I'm glad I'm not exposed to Shitlock's writing everyday ...

LJ is past his prime he is not a top 20 back in this league now.
Croyle is going to get his chance ,but my bet is the Chiefs have to draft a QB next year because Croyle will show he is not the answer.

Mecca
07-20-2008, 04:47 PM
IMO, they have a better than 50/50 shot to win against Oakland, Atlanta or Carolina.

Hell, Denver's so ****ed up right now, anything could happen against them.

My point was that Captain Blowhard likes to spout off about an 0-16 season, but doesn't have the balls to put his money where his mouth is. Not only will the Chiefs not go winless for the entire season, they'll win before the bye week.

I don't see them beating Carolina, I wouldn't even mention that one, and I know everyone picks out Atlanta but it's a road game, bad teams struggle on the road, I won't be surprised to see 0-8 on the road this year.

Dinny Blues
07-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Its been mentioned a few times earlier in the thread, but it was 97 before we signed Grbac.

If i remember correctly, Carl and Marty had George in for an interview but he sort of rubbed them the wrong way with his arrogance. (Imagine that?)

Its been a loong time obviously, but i remember a Whitlock column mentioning this incident.

George went on to have a great season in Oakland that year, but the Chiefs obviously had a great year without him.

Didn't Jeff George play for Marty in Washington?

I remember something about Marty handing him the playbook on the sidelines or something like that.

Dinny

RustShack
07-20-2008, 04:50 PM
We will win the first game of the year!

Deberg_1990
07-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Didn't Jeff George play for Marty in Washington?

I remember something about Marty handing him the playbook on the sidelines or something like that.

Dinny

Yes. Marty inherited him when he went to the Redskins. George only lasted 2 games there in 2001 because he couldnt master the "west coast" short passing game scheme.

Marty dumped him.