PDA

View Full Version : Royals ***OFFICIAL KC@CWS Game 3 Thread 7/20***

Nightfyre
07-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Bannister will try to win the series for us here against Danks.

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Guillen still out of the lineup. :mad:

Adept Havelock
07-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Nice double by Aviles.

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Great start. Single by Teahen and double by Aviles. Runners at 2nd and 3rd no outs.

Adept Havelock
07-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Now that's how you start a game!

2-0 off of DDJ's single.

DDJ steals Second to boot. :)

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 01:10 PM
DeJesus comes through!!! Slicer up the LF line to score 2. Now let's hope we get day-game Banny.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 01:11 PM
great start!

too bad bannister is pitching today :(

Nightfyre
Goddamn mlb.tv and its shitty failure to stream

thurman merman
ha ha the white sox catcher is awful! the royals are stealing uncontested bases all weekend long.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 01:12 PM
4 straight hits to start the game!

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Fat kid swinging a hot stick. Line drive to CF.

Nightfyre
07-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Who needs Guillen?

Adept Havelock
07-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Who needs Guillen?

In the immortal words of the Stone Cutters- We Do. We Do.

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 01:18 PM
2 runs isn't enough. This should be a bigger inning.

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Gload!!! Single to CF plates 2 more.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 01:19 PM
GET A LOAD OF THE GLOAD!!!

Adept Havelock
07-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Nice one Gload! 4-0 off of Gload's single.

Adept Havelock
07-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Like the infected guy said:

Sulfa, So Good.

CoMoChief
07-20-2008, 01:26 PM
There's still no reason for Grienke to implode like he did on Fri.

In order for us to really get better, hitting has to improve and our 2 top pitchers outside of Soria (Grienke and Meche) HAVE to become more consistent.

The Royals need to have a mind set that they need to win series.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 01:29 PM
:banghead:come on, bannister! don't :cuss: this up again!

Fish
07-20-2008, 01:30 PM
GET A LOAD OF THE GLOAD!!!

Uggggggg.......... LMAO....

Fish
07-20-2008, 01:33 PM
There's still no reason for Grienke to implode like he did on Fri.

In order for us to really get better, hitting has to improve and our 2 top pitchers outside of Soria (Grienke and Meche) HAVE to become more consistent.

The Royals need to have a mind set that they need to win series.

I agree... I thought Meche should have started the first game back. But I don't think you can put all the blame on Greinke... The Sox came out swinging at anything and everything. They did a very good job of aggressively attacking anything thrown over the plate.

To Greinke's credit though.... he stuck it out and held them after the first 2 innings till the relievers got in. A couple years ago he would have been pulled after the first because of a mental breakdown...

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 01:34 PM
A 4-pitch walk. **** me. 4-2 Royals.

Adept Havelock
07-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Banny has a bad case of cranial-rectal conversion today.

Nightfyre
07-20-2008, 01:36 PM
A 4-pitch walk. **** me. 4-2 Royals.

Olivo took WAY too long to get out there and talk to him.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 01:36 PM
how come every time bannister pitches, i can't stop thinking about how he used to be good?

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Banny has a bad case of cranial-rectal conversion today.

That plus having a case of topping out at 91 without an out pitch. People like to compare control pitchers to Maddux, but they forget that he had a high number of Ks, 4 years with 190+ and one year with over 200.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 01:40 PM
leadoff double by steve the german.

alanm
07-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Way to go Banny you stupid f*ckstick. Get him the f*ck out of there.:cuss::cuss:

alanm
07-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Had a 4-0 and then a 5-2 lead and now it's gone. :banghead::banghead:

Pierce
07-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Well that sucked.

Adept Havelock
07-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Banny gives us a whole three innings. Ramirez on the mound.

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 02:34 PM
How the **** is that ruled a base hit?

Moot point. Turned two.

alanm
07-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Banny gives us a whole three innings. Ramirez on the mound.
After the 1st inning you knew he wasn't going to be out long. :spock:

Ari Chi3fs
07-20-2008, 02:46 PM
you guys suck, whats the score?

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 02:48 PM
you guys suck, whats the score?

You swallow. 6-5 Royals.

Adept Havelock
07-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Nice play by Aviles to retire the side.

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Great play by Aviles. If Pena had made the same play, the Fever would be orgasmic now.

I was a bit early with the call. Fever and Split moaned a little, but no full blown multiples.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 02:54 PM
WHAT A PLAY!

TIME TO SEND TONY PENA JR. TO THE MINORS!

Adept Havelock
07-20-2008, 02:57 PM
LaFeeble doing some quality whining about Pena being a backup.

Chiefless
07-20-2008, 03:09 PM

He's retarded, then.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:13 PM
the ramirez brothers rule!

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM

i missed that. whining about him being a backup to aviles? or whining about him being in the majors at all?

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:18 PM
time for a stolen base, i'd say.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:23 PM
time for a stolen base, i'd say.

:banghead:

Adept Havelock
07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
i missed that. whining about him being a backup to aviles? or whining about him being in the majors at all?

Whining that with Aviles in the slot, and Hillman happy with it, Pena won't get a shot to reclaim the SS position barring injury or a trade.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Whining that with Aviles in the slot, and Hillman happy with it, Pena won't get a shot to reclaim the SS position barring injury or a trade.

i am fairly sure a major league player batting .150 should not get a chance to reclaim a starting position?

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:33 PM
2-run homer by swisher, white sox lead 7-6 :cuss:

WTF do the royals always lose when they start off the game well?

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:37 PM
LOL guillen pinch hitting for gordon, wtf

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:38 PM
good job guillen! way to take one for the team!

Ari Chi3fs
07-20-2008, 03:39 PM
that is a big confidence boost for Gordon. Send his ass to the minors. He needs a shakeup.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:40 PM
LOL stolen base for guillen! what is going on here?

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:44 PM
gordon looks pissed in the dugout.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:46 PM
GERMAN!!!!!!!!!!

Fish
07-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Wooooooohooooooo..... fight it out Blue....

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:48 PM
german really hits well when he actually gets playing time.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 03:59 PM
guillen throws out pierceeyzyzznkssksknnkksski at the plate, 2 out!

SithCeNtZ
07-20-2008, 04:02 PM
gordon looks pissed in the dugout.

If your manager was a retard you would be pissed too. Hillman should be fired at the end of the season no questions asked. He has done absolutely nothing that suggests he should be back.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 04:02 PM
mahay strikes out thome with 2 on and 2 out! going to the ninth, royals lead 8-7. hopefully soria can handle this, this game has been crazy.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 04:03 PM
He has done absolutely nothing that suggests he should be back.

what about benching pena? i'd say that alone suggests he should be back.

SithCeNtZ
07-20-2008, 04:07 PM
what about benching pena? i'd say that alone suggests he should be back.

He is awarded no points for finally figuring out that a mildly retarded giraffe on roller skates could swing a better bat than TPJ.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 04:09 PM
He is awarded no points for finally figuring out that a mildly retarded giraffe on roller skates could swing a better bat than TPJ.

ROFL good point.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 04:10 PM
SORIA TIME!

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 04:14 PM
NASTY!

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 04:16 PM
ANOTHER STRIKEOUT! HELL YEAH! it's about time the royals won a series against the white sox.

VonneMarie
07-20-2008, 04:16 PM
This game totally PWN3D!

petegz28
07-20-2008, 04:18 PM
FILTHEEEEEEEEE McNasTTTTTTTTT!!!!

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Great job to win this series considering how much the bullpen was asked to do. Chicago has been a tough place for the Royals, so maybe the team can take some mojo away from this one.

Broadcast just noted that this was the first series win in Chi. since. Sept. '03. Cool.

Ari Chi3fs
07-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Rock n ****in' Roll. Great win.

Fish
07-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Great win for the Royals......

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 04:28 PM
it feels good to win a game like this. seems like the royals usually end up on the losing end of these wild games.

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-20-2008, 04:30 PM
I am envious of your closer.

Nzoner
07-20-2008, 04:32 PM

Too bad those idiot broadcasters on FOX didn't give him any credit during the All-Star game,oh well maybe it'll make him nastier yet the 2nd half

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 04:33 PM

most people are.

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Too bad those idiot broadcasters on FOX didn't give him any credit during the All-Star game,oh well maybe it'll make him nastier yet the 2nd half

That was pitiful on thier part. If he played for a better team they would have been slobbing his knob for sure. Not his fault his team isn't so hot right now.

thurman merman
07-20-2008, 04:39 PM
That was pitiful on thier part. If he played for a better team they would have been slobbing his knob for sure. Not his fault his team isn't so hot right now.

hey, they have won 2 series in a row! that is good for them!

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-20-2008, 04:41 PM
hey, they have won 2 series in a row! that is good for them!

Well you took down a pretty good Sox team, so that is a good start to the 2nd half.

Coach
07-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Finally took those bastards down at the Cell.

petegz28
07-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I am impressed with our O not giving up. But this is the 2nd time in a row that "Banni" (I ****ing hate that nickname) has blown 4+ run leads.

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I know we've debated this topic to death, but the most discouraging thing to happen today, IMO, was that Hillman pinch hit for Gordon when a righthander was on the mound. Worse yet, it was probably the right decision.

Worstest yet, I'm watching Baseball Tonight and see the highlights of Braun hitting no. 24 and Longoria hitting a GS, no. 16? 17?

Yeah, patience...right. Sucks that Gordon doesn't look like he'll be the impact player the organization was hoping for and needs.

petegz28
07-20-2008, 08:37 PM
I know we've debated this topic to death, but the most discouraging thing to happen today, IMO, was that Hillman pinch hit for Gordon when a righthander was on the mound. Worse yet, it was probably the right decision.

Worstest yet, I'm watching Baseball Tonight and see the highlights of Braun hitting no. 24 and Longoria hitting a GS, no. 16? 17?

Yeah, patience...right. Sucks that Gordon doesn't look like he'll be the impact player the organization was hoping for and needs.

I'm not sure what Gordon's gig is? I was surprised but yet not disappointed he benched Gordon.

alanm
07-20-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure what Gordon's gig is? I was surprised but yet not disappointed he benched Gordon.
I don't know WTF is Gordon's problem at the moment either other than being afraid to swing the f*cking bat.
I think he needs a dose of reality. Time to send his ass to Omaha for about 3 weeks. It seems to have worked for Butler.

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 09:08 PM
When he battled back in the second half last year, I was hopeful that he was displaying the mental grit to turn the corner and be the type of player this team needs.

However, he better get that same mind set again real quick because the current regime wasn't the one that drafted him. Thus it's easier for Hillman to bench and it would be easier for Moore to replace him.

SithCeNtZ
07-20-2008, 10:12 PM

I don't want to have to fight you to the death on this :) but no, it was not in any way shape or form the right decision. To argue it is the right decision you have to look past all of these factors and say none of them matter:

1) Lefties hit slightly better than righties against Dotel
2) Gordon's power numbers are almost exactly the same as Guillen's
3) Gordon has been hitting better than Guillen for the entire month in every category
4) Gordon has a better ability to get on base than Guillen
5) Gordon has more speed than Guillen
6) You remove a very good defender, if not the best on the team, and replace him with someone who is below average. You also lose speed in the outfield with Guillen going out there. Much to Hillman's amazing luck, the only upgrade you get on the move is the arm upgrade in the outfield and it just so happened that ended up actually making a difference.
7) Benching Gordon against a righty does nothing for his confidence
8) We have no more good bench hitters and might need Guillen for a more key pinch hitting opportunity

But other than all of those factors, yea, it was a great decision by Hillman :shake:

Jayhawkerman2001
07-20-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't want to have to fight you to the death on this :) but no, it was not in any way shape or form the right decision. To argue it is the right decision you have to look past all of these factors and say none of them matter:

3) Gordon has been hitting better than Guillen for the entire month in every category
6) You remove a very good defender, if not the best on the team, and replace him with someone who is below average. You also lose speed in the outfield with Guillen going out there. Much to Hillman's amazing luck, the only upgrade you get on the move is the arm upgrade in the outfield and it just so happened that ended up actually making a difference.
8) We have no more good bench hitters and might need Guillen for a more key pinch hitting opportunity

But other than all of those factors, yea, it was a great decision by Hillman :shake:

eh, it was just to send a message to gordon that he's not immune is all

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 11:03 PM

Good grief. I have this mental picture of you watching the game, pencil in hand, screaming at the top of your lungs when a manager does something that isn't "by the book."

I understand the importance that statistics play in making a decision, I really do. But Hillman's move was an instinctive one today. Though Guillen didn't really "do" anything at the plate, the move ultimately worked, both offensively and defensively (oh, and didn't Guillen steal second?), and that's the bottom line. I love that you dismiss all of this as luck. The best managers should have a feel for their teams and trust their instincts. Hillman has been burned by doing this at different times during the year, but today he wasn't.

Again, if all sport-related decisions were statistically driven, MIT grads. would dominate in all major positions within an organization. A manager has to have a feel for the game, and it didn't appear to be Gordon's day at the plate, so Hillman made an unconventional choice, even though, statistically!!!, Gordon is hitting well against righties.

This most interesting part about Hillman's decision, from my perspective, is that it demonstrates the way baseball folk within the organization are beginning to view Gordon as a player. When it really counted most, he was benched. This speaks volumes. If you want to accentuate this with stats:
Guillen's career avg. against Dotel: .125--1 hit in 8 ABs with 1 double.
Gordon's career avg. against Dotel: .500--1 hit in 2 ABs.
What does this tell you about Hillman's view of Gordon?

Regarding Gordon's confidence: If he has a problem, someone should tell him to wash the sand out and grow a pair. This isn't an 18-year-old kid. He was supposed to be an advanced college bat, the former minor league player of the year, start ****ing playing like it. Or sit your ass down, like Hillman told him to do today.

Fish
07-20-2008, 11:15 PM

Hi Alex!

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 11:20 PM
:LOL:

Pretty damn funny, actually.

Whom did Sedated call a stat. nazi? Was it Sith or someone else? I'm starting to forget...

SithCeNtZ
07-20-2008, 11:36 PM
:LOL:

Pretty damn funny, actually.

Whom did Sedated call a stat. nazi? Was it Sith or someone else? I'm starting to forget...

Oh it was me. I take the title with pride, since I actually want to put my team in the best position to win. Here is Rany's blog from Ranyontheroyals.com. He gets quoted on these boards, so maybe someone will take his word and not mine:

"And then, in the top of the 8th, came one of the weirdest managerial moves I’ve ever seen. After Grudzielanek struck out against Octavio Dotel, we watched as Alex Gordon trudged from the on-deck circle back to the dugout. We waited for him to return, perhaps with a new bat or helmet or something. We wondered why Jose Guillen was walking to the plate instead. We heard the PA announcer overhead informing us that Guillen was pinch-hitting for Gordon, but it didn’t register. Until at some point it did, and we all turned to each other, a row of Royals fans all with their mouths open but no sound coming out.

Jose Guillen was pinch-hitting for…Alex Gordon.

Alex Gordon, who’s hitting .280/.365/.492 against right-handed pitching.

Gordon, who’s just a tick behind David DeJesus as the best hitter on the team against right-handers.

With Guillen, who’s hitting .257/.275/.420 against RHP.

I dare say it’s unusual to deliberately give up the platoon advantage when pinch-hitting in any situation, unless the batter is a pitcher or his dad used to manage the club but quit in the middle of the night or something. But to pinch-hit for one of your best hitters in a key situation and surrender the platoon advantage at the same time…I’m sorry, but this doesn’t add up.

I suspect there is more to the story here. After the game Hillman said, “I didn’t really like the way Alex was swinging the bat today.” O-kay. If you say so, Trey. Gordon walked in the first inning. He struck out in the third inning – both those at-bats against a left-hander, and we all know Gordon has had trouble against left-handers this year. Against Carrasco in the fifth, he hit a soft line drive that Cabrera caught – not a screaming line drive, but certainly one that would have gotten through for a hit had it been placed better. Miguel Olivo, to that point, had a worse game than Gordon – and he’s garbage against right-handed hitters. But for some reason Hillman decided that Gordon was the problem.

There has to be more to the story here. Maybe Gordon wasn't showing enough effort, or he was insubordinate, or he made a pass at one of Hillman’s relatives. But somehow he has gotten on Hillman’s bad side. That’s the only explanation that makes sense here. Whatever the explanation is, it’s not good for Royals fans. Either we have yet another clubhouse crisis that needs to be defused, or our manager is just astonishingly stupid. There’s no way to spin this as a positive going forward.

But today, it was brilliant. Rarely in the annals of Royals history has such a clearly bad move played a more significant role in helping the Royals win. Guillen got hit by a pitch. He stole second base – yeah, it finally worked, Trey, and it still didn’t factor in the outcome. Gload worked a walk from Matt Thornton, against whom lefties are hitting .132 this year. And Esteban German, getting a chance to prove that the last two seasons were not a fluke, ripped one past Joe Crede, and Gload came around from first to score the go-ahead run."

DeezNutz
07-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Oh it was me. I take the title with pride, since I actually want to put my team in the best position to win. Here is Rany's blog from Ranyontheroyals.com. He gets quoted on these boards, so maybe someone will take his word and not mine:

"And then, in the top of the 8th, came one of the weirdest managerial moves I’ve ever seen. After Grudzielanek struck out against Octavio Dotel, we watched as Alex Gordon trudged from the on-deck circle back to the dugout. We waited for him to return, perhaps with a new bat or helmet or something. We wondered why Jose Guillen was walking to the plate instead. We heard the PA announcer overhead informing us that Guillen was pinch-hitting for Gordon, but it didn’t register. Until at some point it did, and we all turned to each other, a row of Royals fans all with their mouths open but no sound coming out.

Jose Guillen was pinch-hitting for…Alex Gordon.

Alex Gordon, who’s hitting .280/.365/.492 against right-handed pitching.

Gordon, who’s just a tick behind David DeJesus as the best hitter on the team against right-handers.

With Guillen, who’s hitting .257/.275/.420 against RHP.

I dare say it’s unusual to deliberately give up the platoon advantage when pinch-hitting in any situation, unless the batter is a pitcher or his dad used to manage the club but quit in the middle of the night or something. But to pinch-hit for one of your best hitters in a key situation and surrender the platoon advantage at the same time…I’m sorry, but this doesn’t add up.

I suspect there is more to the story here. After the game Hillman said, “I didn’t really like the way Alex was swinging the bat today.” O-kay. If you say so, Trey. Gordon walked in the first inning. He struck out in the third inning – both those at-bats against a left-hander, and we all know Gordon has had trouble against left-handers this year. Against Carrasco in the fifth, he hit a soft line drive that Cabrera caught – not a screaming line drive, but certainly one that would have gotten through for a hit had it been placed better. Miguel Olivo, to that point, had a worse game than Gordon – and he’s garbage against right-handed hitters. But for some reason Hillman decided that Gordon was the problem.

There has to be more to the story here. Maybe Gordon wasn't showing enough effort, or he was insubordinate, or he made a pass at one of Hillman’s relatives. But somehow he has gotten on Hillman’s bad side. That’s the only explanation that makes sense here. Whatever the explanation is, it’s not good for Royals fans. Either we have yet another clubhouse crisis that needs to be defused, or our manager is just astonishingly stupid. There’s no way to spin this as a positive going forward.

But today, it was brilliant. Rarely in the annals of Royals history has such a clearly bad move played a more significant role in helping the Royals win. Guillen got hit by a pitch. He stole second base – yeah, it finally worked, Trey, and it still didn’t factor in the outcome. Gload worked a walk from Matt Thornton, against whom lefties are hitting .132 this year. And Esteban German, getting a chance to prove that the last two seasons were not a fluke, ripped one past Joe Crede, and Gload came around from first to score the go-ahead run."

Look, statboy :D, no one is arguing with your point. Statistically it was not the right move. I even gave you more fuel in my last post with Guillen's numbers against Dotel.

But Rany's right. There's something else going on here, and that's what I addressed in my last post. At an important point in the game, Hillman didn't have faith in Gordon, stats be damned. He made an instinctive move, and it worked. If this becomes a habit for Hillman, he'll soon become one of the best in the game. If these moves start to backfire more often than not, he'll be looking for work in a year. Additionally, it is a stretch, at the very least, to call Alex "one of [the team's] best hitters." Certainly I'm not going to have to bring up the numbers to prove this, right? I'd assume you'd have this covered.

You need to stop obsessing over numbers, and I'm saying this with your best interests at heart since football season is upon us. You do know who coaches for the Chiefs? You'll be lucky if your head doesn't ****ing explode. ****ing Mark Guillen...but his OPS!, his OPS!, right there on the All-Star ballot, right?

petegz28
07-21-2008, 06:16 AM
Gordon needs to be becnched for a while, end of story.

Whoever says Guillen is a below average in the OF is ****ed in their head.

Whoever says Gordon is better at the plate than Guillen is ****ed in their head.

Whoever thinks Gordon is playing at an accepetable level is ****ed in their head.

Gordon will be fine eventualy.

Demonpenz
07-21-2008, 08:35 AM
I can't believe we tried to steal so much yesterday. Giving away outs sheesh

thurman merman
07-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi Alex!

ROFL

thurman merman
07-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Whoever says Guillen is a below average in the OF is ****ed in their head.

that's what i was thinking! WTF?

thurman merman
07-21-2008, 10:11 AM
"Banni" (I ****ing hate that nickname)

i also hate that nickname. we should start a movement to ban this nickname.