PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Let's steal and ruin another British TV idea...

pikesome
07-20-2008, 04:42 PM
NBC announced it has ordered the pilot for an American version of Top Gear, which will be produced by BBC America, and presented by television and radio host Adam Carolla, stunt driver Tanner Foust, and television carpenter Eric Stromer.

http://www.nbcumv.com/broadcast/release_detail.nbc/entertainment-20080616000000-startyourengines.html

This makes me wish Fight Club was about TV studios and not credit companies.

Adam Carolla? Not unless they are driving over his still twitching corpse.

And a carpenter... Riiiiight.

Valiant
07-20-2008, 04:46 PM
It will not be on long.. Unless the BBC America is going to literally copy it and the European cars it will not be much fun for most Americans I would think...

pikesome
07-20-2008, 04:52 PM
It will not be on long.. Unless the BBC America is going to literally copy it and the European cars it will not be much fun for most Americans I would think...

Supposed to focus on American cars from what I've read.

I wonder if GM will be around to get any cars profiled.

kepp
07-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Supposed to focus on American cars from what I've read.

I wonder if GM will be around to get any cars profiled.

"Tanner, it looks like that Malibu handles the corners really we....heh...there goes your wheel."

Baby Lee
07-21-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm no Leno fan, but I gotta credit him for declining this. And for the right reason. The best part of TG is their willingness to utterly slog a car, regardless of it's provinance, if they think it's merited.

pikesome
07-21-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm no Leno fan, but I gotta credit him for declining this. And for the right reason. The best part of TG is their willingness to utterly slog a car, regardless of it's provinance, if they think it's merited.

Sometimes I wonder how TG stays on the air. They aren't kind to almost every car company. I was somewhat shocked to hear Clarkson going on about how Mercedes has been building crap (relativity) for the last few years.

I just can't see our domestic car companies putting up with that kind of thing, it runs counter to our TV traditions.

morphius
07-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Sometimes I wonder how TG stays on the air. They aren't kind to almost every car company. I was somewhat shocked to hear Clarkson going on about how Mercedes has been building crap (relativity) for the last few years.

I just can't see our domestic car companies putting up with that kind of thing, it runs counter to our TV traditions.
Well, they have the advantage that they don't have to worry about upsetting advertisers, 'cause they are funded by the public instead. Corolla did say they were not being edited or pressured in the US version either, but only time will tell if that holds true.

pikesome
07-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Well, they have the advantage that they don't have to worry about upsetting advertisers, 'cause they are funded by the public instead. Corolla did say they were not being edited or pressured in the US version either, but only time will tell if that holds true.

I was reading the Top Gear page on Wikipedia, they might not have problems with car companies but it does sound like the British public are a bunch of whiny bitches.

In July 2006 the BBC rejected a variety of complaints about the issues Top Gear chooses and the way they are covered by Clarkson, Hammond and May. The BBC argued that their "provocative comments are an integral part of the programme and are not intended to be taken seriously." Regarding offensive remarks traded between presenters and members of the audience, the BBC said "this is part of the appeal of the show [and] we trust most viewers are familiar enough with the style and tone of the show not to take offence." The BBC pointed out that they would act if such statements and actions were carried out with any degree of seriousness or if the programme breached legal and safety requirements.[34]

Top Gear was in negotiations to move to Enstone in north Oxfordshire, close to the home of the Renault F1 team's British base and to Clarkson's home in Chipping Norton, but has so far been unable to negotiate a deal after their initial application was blocked due to opposition by local citizens because of fears that Top Gear would create pollution and noise
Both the BBC and the UK media regulator OFCOM received complaints[42] about the dead cow tied to the roof of Clarkson's Camaro in the American Special (Series 9 Episode 3). However, the BBC defended the programme against the complaints received. The cow had died several days previously due to natural causes
Insensitivity to brain injury victims

The BBC apologised to a number of Top Gear viewers after Clarkson asked the returning Hammond the question "Are you now a mental?" May also offered a tissue in case he "dribbled" during the first episode of the 2007 series. The comments were meant as a joke about the head injuries Hammond sustained during his crash before the series, but an apology was made after several viewers complained.[45].

[edit] Drinking while driving

During the Polar Special, Jeremy Clarkson was seen to be drinking a Gin and Tonic whilst driving. Despite the producer's claims that they were in international waters at the time, the BBC trust found that the scene could "glamorise the misuse of alcohol", and that the scene "was not editorially justified in the context of a family show pre-watershed".[46]

Just goes to show that there are pluses and minuses everywhere.

Baby Lee
01-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Carolla's NBC sitcom greenlit

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NE0LC6090ctm25

Buck
01-05-2010, 04:47 PM
This might be a good show if it was on The Speed Network, but NBC is going to make it overly stupid and it will get cancelled.

Brock
01-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Adam Carolla has always been funny.

Baby Lee
01-05-2010, 04:48 PM
This might be a good show if it was on The Speed Network, but NBC is going to make it overly stupid and it will get cancelled.

Let me know when you get to January 2010. ;)

Baby Lee
01-05-2010, 04:48 PM

Get it on, must get it on, mandate; get IT OOOONNNN!!!!

AZORChiefFan
01-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Carolla's Podcast is hilarious. I am not his biggest fan and have only listened to the ones that have guests I like. The one with him and Aisha Tyler is amazing.

Buck
01-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Let me know when you get to January 2010. ;)

God Damnit Baby.

Buck
01-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Carolla's Podcast is hilarious. I am not his biggest fan and have only listened to the ones that have guests I like. The one with him and Aisha Tyler is amazing.

I almost subscribed to that last night. I guess I will tonight.

Baby Lee
01-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Over the past couple of weeks, he's been rebroadcasting 'Best of 09.' Notable entries were Brad Garrett [had me actually laughing to tears] and David Cross.

Christoph Waltz [Landa in Inglourious Basterds] wasn't so much funny as interesting insight into film making.

If you like broad political satire, he has an episode with [fictional] representative Richard Martin [think Colbert's schtick adapted to an elected official, with all the odd stances of the Bachmanns and Santorums of the world and dealing with all the scandals of the political world to boot].

Buck
01-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I just got a Ipod and I don't know how exactly it works when you subscribe to a podcast.

Is it when you open Itunes it automatically checks for new ones and downloads them into your Itunes?

Silock
01-05-2010, 05:06 PM
It needs three people:

Carrolla, Leno and Tim Allen. That would be perfect.

BTW, Top Gear on the BBC is coming to an end pretty soon. They've said so.

Baby Lee
01-05-2010, 05:14 PM
I just got a Ipod and I don't know how exactly it works when you subscribe to a podcast.

Is it when you open Itunes it automatically checks for new ones and downloads them into your Itunes?

Go to the Itunes store in Itunes, find the podcasts you want and click on Subscribe.
You get a podcast directory, go to it and click refresh to get new episodes.

Buck
01-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Go to the Itunes store in Itunes, find the podcasts you want and click on Subscribe.
You get a podcast directory, go to it and click refresh to get new episodes.

Cool. Does that 'Hatecast' Have anything to do w/ The Hater on AV Club?

Baby Lee
01-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Cool. Does that 'Hatecast' Have anything to do w/ The Hater on AV Club?

Amelie in all her glory!! :thumb:

Buck
01-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Nice I'm going to have to subscribe to that.

Is the BS Report cool?

Baby Lee
01-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Nice I'm going to have to subscribe to that.

Is the BS Report cool?

Yeah, it can get a little dry if they're discussing a sport you're not that into [like a whole hour on what going on with the Pheonix Suns or some shit], but they also mix in discussions on regular TV, reality TV, movies, current events.

Loved the latest podcast, because the NFL ratings guy had the Ravens Eagles [my preseason and still to this moment SB picks] 1-2 in power rankings for the whole season.

Buck
01-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah, it can get a little dry if they're discussing a sport you're not that into [like a whole hour on what going on with the Pheonix Suns or some shit], but they also mix in discussions on regular TV, reality TV, movies, current events.

Loved the latest podcast, because the NFL ratings guy had the Ravens Eagles [my preseason and still to this moment SB picks] 1-2 in power rankings for the whole season.

Ravens Eagles?

You gotta be kidding me.

The Eagles didn't even bother to show up against Dallas (and got swept by them), they lost to Oakland, and lost to San Diego who is probably a better team.

Baby Lee
01-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Ravens Eagles?

You gotta be kidding me.

The Eagles didn't even bother to show up against Dallas (and got swept by them), they lost to Oakland, and lost to San Diego who is probably a better team.

It's for the season, not latest trends. Some complicated Sabermetric type deal that he didn't explain. But I am with him on those two. Don't sleep on either.

KcMizzou
01-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Carolla's Podcast is hilarious. I am not his biggest fan and have only listened to the ones that have guests I like. The one with him and Aisha Tyler is amazing.This is pretty damn cool. Just listened to the Joe Rogan one. Good stuff.

KcMizzou
01-05-2010, 07:52 PM
The Mike Rowe one is pretty great too.

googlegoogle
01-05-2010, 10:05 PM

Stop it niggah.