PDA

View Full Version : Football Skins trade for Dolphins Taylor

Coach
07-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Skins trade for Dolphins Taylor after Phillips goes down
ESPN.com news services

After losing defensive end Phillip Daniels for the season, the Washington Redskins moved quickly to fill the void.

The Redskins acquired Jason Taylor from the Miami Dolphins.

The Dolphins will receive a second-round pick in 2009 and a sixth-rounder in 2010.

Daniels, a starter, was hurt on the initial play of 7-on-7 offense vs. defense drills on Sunday. He stayed down on the turf for several minutes before being taken away on a cart, a towel draped over his head. He's expected to have surgery Friday.

"Not a good way to start, at all," middle linebacker London Fletcher said. "It's a big blow to our defense. Phil was a tremendous leader, excellent at playing the run, and was going to be our third-down attack guy. With him going down, it's like we're replacing two guys."

ESPN.com's John Clayton first reported Daniels' season-ending injury and the fact that the Redskins were pursuing Taylor.

Washington executive vice president Vinny Cerrato said Taylor is expected to report to Redskins training camp on Monday.

The Redskins also lost another defensive end, reserve Alex Buzbee, to a season-ending injury during their afternoon practice. Buzbee ruptured his Achilles tendon.

"With Phillip gone, and now Buzbee gone, there's a hole there," head coach Jim Zorn said. "And Phillip has created a big hole."

Day 1 of Zorn's training camp debut as an NFL head coach also included this sight: Cornerback Fred Smoot threw off his left shoe and clearly was in pain after wideout Santana Moss landed on him during the afternoon practice. It turned out Smoot sprained his ankle and is expected to only miss a week or less.

"I love sprained ankles now, because we know that's just a few days' deal," Zorn said, cracking a smile.

He was more serious while speaking about the loss of Daniels, who has played 12 seasons in the NFL with Washington, Chicago and Seattle. His 59 career sacks rank 17th among active players.

"The hard part is he was so ready, and he did everything that he could possibly do to not just have a great training camp but an excellent football season," Zorn said. "And now he's got a new challenge before him, and of course we have a new challenge before us."

The Redskins began training camp with Erasmus James sidelined. He's a former first-round pick who has had serious knee injuries, and Zorn said he doesn't expect James to be able to begin practicing until next month.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3497625

blueballs
07-20-2008, 05:12 PM
second-round pick in 2009 and a sixth-rounder in 2010
Snyder is insane
good job Parcels

JuicesFlowing
07-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Sounds like Snyder.

Direckshun
07-20-2008, 05:18 PM
It's possible Jesus Christ hates the Redskins, too.

Or at least their fans.

beer bacon
07-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Just imagine if we would have waited to trade Jared Allen. We could have gotten the Redskins' entire draft for the next four or five seasons.

LiL stumppy
07-20-2008, 05:20 PM
lmao wow. i'll bet Taylor breaks his hip before they receive that 2010 pick.

JuicesFlowing
07-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Not sure Taylor will make a difference in that division, but we'll see.

kstater
07-20-2008, 05:24 PM
How are the Redskin's not in Salary Cap hell?

Baconeater
07-20-2008, 05:44 PM
How are the Redskin's not in Salary Cap hell?

I don't think they've really been going on free agency spending sprees the last few years, there was only one ridiculous year where they brought in Deion Sanders and others, and that was long enough ago that they probably have all those contracts paid off by now.

eazyb81
07-20-2008, 05:55 PM
It's hilarious that the Redskins think they're a contender every year. With or without Taylor, they're going to suck and miss the playoffs again.

Hydrae
07-20-2008, 05:58 PM
It's hilarious that the Redskins think they're a contender every year. With or without Taylor, they're going to suck and miss the playoffs again.

Do you want to be the coach that tells that to Danny Boy?

milkman
07-20-2008, 06:00 PM

They made the playoffs last year, but your point still stands.

HolmeZz
07-20-2008, 06:00 PM
I think they had to make the move.

milkman
07-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Do you want to be the coach that tells that to Danny Boy?

I would love to be that coach.

eazyb81
07-20-2008, 06:02 PM
They made the playoffs last year, but your point still stands.

Jeez, with this and the name corrections for Albert, you are on a roll today!

Braincase
07-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Jeez, with this and the name corrections for Albert, you are on a roll today!

Dude, that was all on Willie Wonka!

Buehler445
07-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow. That's a hefty price for an old guy that wants to be out of the league so he can act and save dogs.

The skins are in a tough spot, but I don't think I'd pull the trigger on that deal.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
07-20-2008, 06:31 PM
lmao wow. i'll bet Taylor breaks his hip before they receive that 2010 pick.

??......maybe you were just trying to be funny, but Jason Taylor is a hell of a football player. I bet he'll be a top tier play until 2010.

Hydrae
07-20-2008, 06:38 PM
??......maybe you were just trying to be funny, but Jason Taylor is a hell of a football player. I bet he'll be a top tier play until 2010.

I think this will be his last year in the league. Broken hip or not he won't be around by the time the 2010 draft comes around.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
07-20-2008, 06:51 PM
I think this will be his last year in the league. Broken hip or not he won't be around by the time the 2010 draft comes around.

You're probably right, but I think he's still a pretty decent player.

milkman
07-20-2008, 06:53 PM
You're probably right, but I think he's still a pretty decent player.

He's still one of the best DEs in the game, but it's assinine to give up two draft picks, one of them as high as a 2nd, for a player that, at most, plays only two years more.

Bwana
07-20-2008, 08:11 PM
A 2nd and a 6h? ROFL

Snyder is fricken nuts.

Skip Towne
07-20-2008, 08:17 PM
A 2nd and a 6h? ROFL

Snyder is fricken nuts.

Yeah but he has a lot of money. That makes him really smart. Didn't you know that? :p

StcChief
07-20-2008, 08:19 PM
A 2nd and a 6h? ROFL

Snyder is fricken nuts.
his money, the franchise, fan base basically demand do whatever it takes....

the mold Carl use to follow.

pr_capone
07-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Parcells came out smelling like roses on this deal.....

CoMoChief
07-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Snyder is retarded.

Not only will Taylor only play for 2 more years tops, but Snyder also seems to forget that the Redskins aren't close to becoming a real Super Bowl threat.

Count Zarth
07-20-2008, 09:26 PM
The Skins are running their team like the Chiefs of the aughts. They even had Al Saunders, briefly.

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Parcells came out smelling like roses on this deal.....

If and only if the Dolphins choose wisely.

Parcells doesn't exactly have a stellar draft record.

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Snyder is retarded.

No, he's not.

He's doing the best he can to keep fan interest up, fill a stadium and win a championship.

The 'Skins were a playoff team last year and play in a division with three other very strong franchises (and the last Super Bowl winner). After losing two defensive ends in one week, they had to do something.

It's a bold move that may or may not pan out. But at least he made the move.

banyon
07-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah but he has a lot of money. That makes him really smart. Didn't you know that? :p

It's Worthington's Law:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KLPPZY74UII&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KLPPZY74UII&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Count Zarth
07-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Whitlock should move to DC and start trashing Snyder. It would be epic journalism.

Smed1065
07-20-2008, 09:50 PM
It's possible Jesus Christ hates the Redskins, too.

Or at least their fans.

Until they make the playoffs? Hate until no cap.

Then they bought it? So they win.

Smed1065
07-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Whitlock should move to DC and start trashing Snyder. It would be epic journalism.

U should be shot but to say he sucks and U can spell for nicki is the same BS.

LOL

Buehler445
07-20-2008, 09:59 PM

Yeah, cause his crap would go over in the DC media....

KCChiefsMan
07-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Synder's had plenty of misses on free agent pickups and draft picks, but the way I look at him is that he's trying to field a winning team year in and year out. I wonder what it would be like to root for a team like that. We've always had defense with no offense or offense with no defense. Hardly tried to make moves to fill holes and balance your team out.

Fruit Ninja
07-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Synder's had plenty of misses on free agent pickups and draft picks, but the way I look at him is that he's trying to field a winning team year in and year out. I wonder what it would be like to root for a team like that. We've always had defense with no offense or offense with no defense. Hardly tried to make moves to fill holes and balance your team out.
Yep, you can see they put real effort into it as well, bought and all star coaching staff. Hell, didnt they at least win 1 play off game? I dont even know what that feels like in football anymore. Last time that happened i was a in highschool i believe.