PDA

View Full Version : Life do you have kids?

Mr. Flopnuts
07-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Congatulations to the Gonzo clan on their upcoming addition to the family. Reading the thread got me too thinking. I'm 31 years old, and married. I have no kids and don't plan on having any. We go to great lengths to prevent it from happening. The reasons are lengthy and I'm posting from my blackberry so for now this is as good as it gets. How about you? How old are? Do you have kids? If so, how many? If not, do you plan on it? For me, I'm selfish and want my life for myself. I have other reasons though.

Count Zarth
07-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Nope. I hate kids. Wife wants 'em but I refuse to stick it in her.

ChiefsCountry
07-20-2008, 11:44 PM
I need to get a motorcycle first.

Ari Chi3fs
07-20-2008, 11:46 PM
35. Have two kids. Life wouldnt be complete without them.

You can have your life to yourself WITH kids, because they add TREMENDOUS joy to your life.

You truly don't know true love, until you meet your first kid.

Plus, without kids, being old would suck. Having kids means having the joy of seeing them grow, then hooking you up with Grandkids.

Plus, the whole keeping the name going thing... unless your Y sperm don't swim so good, like Phobias.

Man, I can honestly say that without my kids my life would be incomplete. They are such a joy.

Being selfish and keeping your "life" all to yourself is overrated.

SPATCH
07-20-2008, 11:50 PM
seriously... intelligent people need to breed... we're being overrun with idiots.

if you are an intelligent person, you are doing society a disservice by not supplying progeny.

ClevelandBronco
07-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Three. Two girls, 15 and six, and one son, 13. No, you'll never see pictures of any of them on the internet under any circumstances that I can control (and/or punish).

My life would make no sense to me without them, but I can understand why some folks would rather not have kids.

ClevelandBronco
07-20-2008, 11:55 PM
seriously... intelligent people need to breed... we're being overrun with idiots.

if you are an intelligent person, you are doing society a disservice by not supplying progeny.

Some of the most intelligent people I know don't have kids.

I wish they did.

MadMax
07-20-2008, 11:56 PM
I have 3 and after all is said and done, they are awesome... Different choices for other peeps but I love them. Also to Claython YOU ARE A ****IN GENETIC FREAK I PREFER YOU NEVER REPRODUCE.... I know you just stir the pot but you are not married and neither am I, but your schtick is so ****in old and stale it's become beyond pathetic... ;(

Saggysack
07-21-2008, 12:00 AM
33, 2 kids. 1 girl, 11yrs old. 1 boy, 2yrs old. No greater joy. No amount of money, no amount of fame can even begin to compare the happiness they bring into my life. They are the reason I smile.

My greatest accomplishment and my saviors. Without them I would surely be in prison. I owe them everything.

SPATCH
07-21-2008, 12:00 AM

I wish they did.

i know... its an alarming trend...

intelligent people aren't having kids and idiots are popping them out like rabbits.

Count Zarth
07-21-2008, 12:02 AM
i know... its an alarming trend...

intelligent people aren't having kids and idiots are popping them out like rabbits.

Do you think all intelligent people can properly raise kids?

ClevelandBronco
07-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Do you think all intelligent people can properly raise kids?

Absolutely not. They will tend to sire more intelligent children. There's no guarantee that they will spend the time to parent them properly.

Count Zarth
07-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Absolutely not. They will tend to sire more intelligent children. There's no guarantee that they will spend the time to parent them properly.

In that light, should intelligent people without the ability to raise kids be donating in extreme amounts to sperm banks?

ClevelandBronco
07-21-2008, 12:18 AM
In that light, should intelligent people without the ability to raise kids be donating in extreme amounts to sperm banks?

I've never wondered about that question before.

Do intelligent men donate now in large numbers? Are they underrepresented?

Are there ova banks that draw from intelligent women that would supply the other half of the equation?

Perhaps you can enlighten me. I am truly in the dark on this question.

Discuss Thrower
07-21-2008, 12:36 AM

Newsflash, Eugenics died out along with a toothbrush-mustached ersatz clad man in a Berlin bunker in the mid 1940s.

BigMeatballDave
07-21-2008, 01:42 AM
I have a son who will be 10 in December, I'll be 38 in October. He is my heart. Watched my sons birth, and cut the cord, easily, the most exciting thing that will ever happen to me. Being a father is the most difficult thing thats happened to me. I wouldn't change it for the world.

BigMeatballDave
07-21-2008, 01:43 AM
35. Have two kids. Life wouldnt be complete without them.

You can have your life to yourself WITH kids, because they add TREMENDOUS joy to your life.

You truly don't know true love, until you meet your first kid.

Plus, without kids, being old would suck. Having kids means having the joy of seeing them grow, then hooking you up with Grandkids.

Plus, the whole keeping the name going thing... unless your Y sperm don't swim so good, like Phobias.

Man, I can honestly say that without my kids my life would be incomplete. They are such a joy.

Being selfish and keeping your "life" all to yourself is overrated.:clap:

seclark
07-21-2008, 09:01 AM
i'm 47
twin sons are 28
daughter is 24
3 grandaughters and 1 grandson.
sec

Phobia
07-21-2008, 09:04 AM
i'm 47
twin sons are 28
daughter is 24
3 grandaughters and 1 grandson.
sec
And here's the "idiots popping them out like rabbits" faction. Thank you for dropping by, sir.

Saulbadguy
07-21-2008, 09:09 AM
0. Married 2 years. Don't want them. Will review the situation at age 30 (3 years). Will re-review at 33, then 37, and point of no return will be age 40.

Of course this is all subject to change and/or failed birth control.

Mr. Plow
07-21-2008, 09:10 AM
And here's the "idiots popping them out like rabbits" faction. Thank you for dropping by, sir.

I think I fall into that category as well....

30 years old.
4 kids: 3 boys & 1 girl
9 years old (10 in December)
3 years old
2 years old
10 month old

Are they a handful? Yes.
Can they bring me to tears in 20 minutes? Yes.
Would I change it? Not for anything.

I would, however, recommend NOT having 3 kids in 3 years. Imagine 12,000 hands on a bunch of monkeys. Climb anything to get anything. Plus, when they all go in separate directions, I have to weigh who I want to save most of all because I can only get to one of them. :D

Imagine all that.....at DISNEY WORLD. I'm worn out again just thinking about it.

Kids are the best thing that has happened to me.....next to meeting my wife.

ChiefsOne
07-21-2008, 09:20 AM
I am 41 and we have 3 kids - mine, hers, ours

my daughter is 22
step-son is 22
our son is 13

I had my daughter when I was 18, so I don't really remember life with out her and wouldn't change it for the world.

FAX
07-21-2008, 09:28 AM
I never really wanted kids, Mr. Mr Flopnuts. To be honest, I never really even thought about it. My life seemed complete pursuing my career and the enormous variety of female nether regions.

Then, out of the blue, I get married to the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX and she wants a child. The result was some sort of bizarre ritual having to do with rhythms and vigorous sex on certain days of the week. So far so good, I thought. Then we have a son and my life changed forever and for the better. At this point, I honestly can't imagine life without him. I now recommend fatherhood to any man who has a good head on his shoulders and the time to dedicate to raising his children.

FAX

vailpass
07-21-2008, 09:32 AM
We have 3 children. They are expensive, frustrating, nerve wracking, a 24-7-365 job.
Wouldn't trade it for the world. I've found a whole new part of me, maybe the best part, in my children.
Everything we do is better becasue of them, any little event is turned from black-and-white into full color becasue you are doing it with your kids.

I know couples that are childless by choice. The older I get the sadder their life seems to me; in some ways even selfish. They seem to me to always be alone together. Their house is always clean, and quiet.
Things stay just where they left them. Nobody wakes them up when the thunder is pounding in the middle of the night. They never taught anyone how to ride a bike, or heard a first word.

I can't imagine what it would be like to get to your 50s, 60s, and older and have no kids and even grandkids to spend holidays and special days and regular days with.
God how lonely.

38yrsfan
07-21-2008, 09:49 AM
3 of them; a girl, 2boys. Married late 20's, first kid early 30's. The things kids add to a life/relationship are easy to describe but hard to understand unless you have them and wanted them .... watching them grow and learn, easing their pain (when pets die there is trauma in the household, even if it is a rabbit.), sharing their joy - Christmas morning memories that will always make you smile, birthdays, summer vacations, and on and on and on ....

Life was more carefree without kids but not near as "complete". IMHO.

Mecca
07-21-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't have any and I plan on keeping it that way.

Starbux37
07-21-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm 43. Have 2 kids. Daughter 10 (eleven in October) and son is 9.

Wife wanted 4 and I wanted 2. After having second child 16 months after the first one wife had no argument with me getting cut one month after son was born.

Love my kids with everything I have. Best thing to happen in my life has been becoming a Dad, but have to admit that I miss the days of being in the mood and attacking the wife in which ever room we might be in at the time.

Pestilence
07-21-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't have any but my girlfriend has a 14 month old daughter. Honestly I've never really liked kids (except my niece and nephew) until I met this little girl. Now I can see that I want one of my own eventually.

seclark
07-21-2008, 10:13 AM

i'm just counting the ones i've raised. you can claim the ones at your house.
sec

smittysbar
07-21-2008, 10:18 AM
sec

ROFL

RJ
07-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Hey Flopnuts, you're only 31 y/o. Just because you don't want a child right now doesn't mean you never will, nor does it mean your wife never will. Sometimes things just change. My sons are 30 and 28 and my daughter is 5 and as much as I enjoyed raising my boys - especially all the sports - I think I'm a better father now and am enjoying it just as much but in different ways. For me, having children has given me perspectives on life I'd have never had otherwise. Nothing has ever given me greater satisfaction than seeing my children happy, both as kids and as adults.

I'd elaborate but I don't think I can say it any better than vailpass did. That was an excellent post, very well stated.

vailpass
07-21-2008, 10:19 AM
sec

Bang! LMAO

Phobia-1
SEC-1

You two quit playing so rough or somebody is gonna' get hurt :)

LiL stumppy
07-21-2008, 10:26 AM
got 3 running around somewhere. i think they are playing with the neighbors pitt bulls.

HolyHandgernade
07-21-2008, 10:26 AM

I wish they did.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xFMVeZyhagI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xFMVeZyhagI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm 39, have two kids, our oldest is starting college this year, she's 18. Our youngest is starting 4th grade, he's 8.

-HH

stumppy
07-21-2008, 10:33 AM
got 3 running around somewhere. i think they are playing with the neighbors pitt bulls.

:D
I taught you well. I remember the good ole days when I would shove all three of you kids out the door first thing in the morning and keep it locked until 10:00 pm.

R&GHomer
07-21-2008, 10:34 AM
37 and have two boys.

RJ
07-21-2008, 10:35 AM
:D
I taught you well. I remember the good ole days when I would shove all three of you kids out the door first thing in the morning and keep it locked until 10:00 pm.

Yessssss! Old school!!

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm 39, have two kids, our oldest is starting college this year, she's 18. Our youngest is starting 4th grade, he's 8.

-HH

Wow, quite an age gap there.

bkkcoh
07-21-2008, 10:38 AM
42 and have 3 kids, 19 boy, 17 girl and 15 boy. :toast:

FAX
07-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey Flopnuts, you're only 31 y/o. Just because you don't want a child right now doesn't mean you never will, nor does it mean your wife never will. Sometimes things just change. My sons are 30 and 28 and my daughter is 5 and as much as I enjoyed raising my boys - especially all the sports - I think I'm a better father now and am enjoying it just as much but in different ways. For me, having children has given me perspectives on life I'd have never had otherwise. Nothing has ever given me greater satisfaction than seeing my children happy, both as kids and as adults.

I'd elaborate but I don't think I can say it any better than vailpass did. That was an excellent post, very well stated.

Mr. vailpass is always making those good posts. Somebody should do something.

FAX

HolyHandgernade
07-21-2008, 10:43 AM

Yeah, my wife and I got married and she had a daughter already who was 8 at the time. I forgot, my son had a birthday last month, he's 9! The age gap has been nice, she's always been a built in babysitter and their age differences help spread out the different needs and experiences. Get a good break between college financing!

-HH

Pablo
07-21-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm 22. We have a 4 month old baby boy.

It's awesome. I'll never get to live that "selfish" lifestyle some strive for. And that's fine. Just knowing I'm going to get to watch this miraculous little boy of mine grow, and learn to walk, and talk, and I'll be the first one to take him fishing, and play catch with him, and now I know what true, unconditional love is. It's amazing.

el borracho
07-21-2008, 01:37 PM
38- no children. I might have liked to have had one and maybe adopt one but I think I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for that now.

Zman
07-21-2008, 01:41 PM
42 I have 5 kids 3 boys and 2 girls ages
17 Boy
17 Boy
15 Girl
12 Girl
10 Boy
The three in the middle have birthdays of September 18,19, & 20th It gets awful cold in December.
Would not trade it for anything although having 3 driving teenagers is quite a handful.

Groves
07-21-2008, 01:49 PM

I wish they did.

There's nothing intelligent about purposefully not having kids.

vailpass
07-21-2008, 01:50 PM
There's nothing intelligent about anything I just said.

FYP

FAX
07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
I know several couples who, for whatever reason, decided not to have children. After having gone through this recent deal with my mother, it's made me think about that choice somewhat differently. For example, who will help them should they require assistance in their old age? Plus, it seems to me that, as one gets older, the lack of children or a younger family group could potentially lead to a very lonely existence.

FAX

Mecca
07-21-2008, 01:56 PM

Well I'm 27 and my sister is 17 and my brother is 15.

cadmonkey
07-21-2008, 01:57 PM
No kids for me, but I have two God Daughters

TrebMaxx
07-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I am 45, been married 18 years and no kids. We tried and spent a great deal of money in hopes of becoming parents. Unfortunately we finally gave up. My wife still would like to have kids if she could but at this point in my life I don't. If by some miracle my wife became preggers I would not be disappointed, but I don't want to keep paying for infertility treatments. I also think that after 18 years the wife and myself are pretty set in our ways and I don't know what might happen if a kid came along changing everything.

Mecca
07-21-2008, 02:28 PM
I am 45, been married 18 years and no kids. We tried and spent a great deal of money in hopes of becoming parents. Unfortunately we finally gave up. My wife still would like to have kids if she could but at this point in my life I don't. If by some miracle my wife became preggers I would not be disappointed, but I don't want to keep paying for infertility treatments. I also think that after 18 years the wife and myself are pretty set in our ways and I don't know what might happen if a kid came along changing everything.

I can see to it that your wife is pregnant if you like :)

HC_Chief
07-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Two: boy 5, girl 3.

Best thing I've ever done with my life is becoming a father. It is true, you lose a lot of freedom, freedom to go out drinking with friends, or to fancy dinners, or to movies, or even on vacations. What you receive in return however trumps everything else in life. There is no greater joy.

cardken
07-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Yes, I have one from previous marriage aged 16 (boy). And current "wife" has two from previous relationship aged 9 and 11, (boy and girl respectively) I'm 38 she 33. Love having them life, would be quieter, but alot more boring.

TrebMaxx
07-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I can see to it that your wife is pregnant if you like :)

LOL! Hard to get little chickens when the hen can't lay eggs!

BigMeatballDave
07-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Wow, quite an age gap there.Heh, age gap, you say? My parents had 5 kids. 23-24-37-39-43. My folks are still married. My youngest sister was born an aunt.

RJ
07-21-2008, 06:48 PM
38- no children. I might have liked to have had one and maybe adopt one but I think I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for that now.

Nah, not really. I was 45 when my youngest (now 5) was born. Since she came along I'm healthier, happier and more active than before. Not saying it's something everyone should do, just that having kids past 40 is not an unreasonable idea - at least not for a man. My little girl definitely improved my life, and in more ways than I can even count.

Count Zarth
07-21-2008, 06:51 PM
There's nothing intelligent about purposefully not having kids.

You Catholic?

Joe Seahawk
07-21-2008, 07:01 PM
I have 2 kids, We had our first when I was 30, 2nd 18 mos later..

I thank the lord everyday for them and my wife.

How the heck did I get so lucky?

Braincase
07-21-2008, 07:03 PM
3 kids, 11, 10 & 7. The world is a better place because I procreated with a beautiful, intelligent woman.

Heck, we're 44, and ya never know.... we may do it again.

BigVE
07-21-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm 37. 2 kids, boy 16, girl 14. Love 'em to death. I never really knew what real love was until they came along. I love my wife of course, but not like my kids. I've done my best and fell I have done better than my parents did for me by my fear is always that I will screw them up somehow because of my failings and abundant imperfections. So in a nutshell they are my greatest joy and my biggest worry all in one.

BWillie
07-21-2008, 07:53 PM

It actually is quite opposite, so you are right. Generally speaking, less cultured, intelligent, and successful people have more kids and more early in life as well. Most doctors, sucessful business men and women wait until later in life. Have you ever met an old doctor? It always seems like they are old with grey hair and have a hot 18 year old daughter. We should all be happy that Shawn Kemp has like 19 kids. In terms of success(money) he is doing a good job for this country.

Ari Chi3fs
07-21-2008, 07:55 PM
<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xFMVeZyhagI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

-HH

That is a great video by Carlos Mencia...love it.

ChiTown
07-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Boys 10 & 7.....I'm 40+ several years

I'm an excellent Father.............:D

Demonpenz
07-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I pray that topeka mike joins this thread very soon.

Groves
07-21-2008, 10:46 PM
You Catholic?

No, not Catholic, I just haven't heard any compelling reasons why able bodied couples would purposely never have children.

Believe me, there's plenty of ways to end up childless that I would champion. Illnesses and such. It's not the lack of kids that I'm against, it's the reasoning that seems fishy.

I guess I've stopped seeing the basic "because I don't want them" reason as less of a thought out position, and more of an indicator of some issues.

And we all have issues, but they ARE issues. They're not nuthin.

Pretty much most people in this thread are saying how great kids are, and I would agree. Totally awesome.

Guru
07-21-2008, 10:54 PM
39 with 4 kids.

WARPARTY70
07-21-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm a dink!!!!

Count Zarth
07-21-2008, 11:02 PM
No, not Catholic, I just haven't heard any compelling reasons why able bodied couples would purposely never have children.

Why is it so vitally important that EVERYONE have children? Can you give me a compelling reason?

joanna521
07-21-2008, 11:07 PM
I'll

Mr. Flopnuts
07-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Something must be wrong with people that don't think like "everybody else." I'm sorry but that's retarded.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't get we wrong. I concede I have issues. I think everone does though. Hell, maybe I have more issues than your average Joe, I don't know.

The premise of your argument though is that everyone in that thread thinks kids are awesome, so anyone who doesn't must be screwed up somehow. Isn't that kind of retarded? You're entitled to your opinion, but that wasn't much of an argument for it IMO.

Groves
07-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Why is it so vitally important that EVERYONE have children? Can you give me a compelling reason?

There's going to be plenty of people without kids. It's not really important that everyone have them, you're correct.

I think the desire is kinda built in, sorta like the desire for our parents to love us. I don't really meet many kids that don't have that desire. When I meet kids that don't care about their parents loving them, it's a pretty solid indicator that something in the situation is messed up.

I guess I'm not saying that it's impossible for people to have great motives in never having kids, but I haven't met any couple yet that both didn't want kids and weren't messed up a little or had some bad motives. I could be sheltered, though.

This kid-having thing happens pretty naturally, so the burden of proof falls on the one stopping it. Believe me, I think there's good reason's for it, too, but still the burden of "why" is still on the one stopping it.

Yikes, I do sound catholic. Taint so, though.

Hey, we had some good conversations with some JWs this week, and I thought of you. I really hope the people we talked to can escape the cult like you did. I searched for some of your classic rants on the Witnesses, but couldn't find the one I was thinking of.

Count Zarth
07-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Probably in one of these threads:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=166331&highlight=Jehovah%27s+Witnesses

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=142945&highlight=Jehovah%27s+Witnesses

What did those brainwashed ****s tell you? They came knocking on your door?

Groves
07-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't get we wrong. I concede I have issues. I think everone does though. Hell, maybe I have more issues than your average Joe, I don't know.

The premise of your argument though is that everyone in that thread thinks kids are awesome, so anyone who doesn't must be screwed up somehow. Isn't that kind of retarded? You're entitled to your opinion, but that wasn't much of an argument for it IMO.

Heck, I may be retar(t)ed after all. It looks like you read the last line or so and thought it was a summary statement or something.

At that point, I was just throwing my hat in the ring with another "Kids are great" comment.

If you'll start at the beginning you'll see that I was making an observation that in my many years of hearing people talk about why they have or don't have kids, want or don't want kids, that I've never really found a convincing argument not to have them (with no special situations, I mean).

Feel free to make your own observations, too, by all means.

For sure not everyone thinks kids are great. I'm not even sure most do in this world. If I were using that as some hair-brained anchor for an argument, I'd be in trouble.

Groves
07-21-2008, 11:36 PM
What did those brainwashed ****s tell you? They came knocking on your door?

Thanks for the links.

I think they probably told us the standard stuff. I can't imagine being raised by them. Sorry, man.

We really enjoy the conversations, honestly, so it was refreshing to get past sports and weather for a change. For as much as they "used the scriptures", they didn't seem to know their Bible very well.

Count Zarth
07-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the links.

I think they probably told us the standard stuff. I can't imagine being raised by them. Sorry, man.

We really enjoy the conversations, honestly, so it was refreshing to get past sports and weather for a change. For as much as they "used the scriptures", they didn't seem to know their Bible very well.

The JWs are spoon fed scriptures to memorize which support their beliefs. There's a book they all study. It's called "Reasoning from the Scriptures." A better title would be "Cherry-picked Bullshit."

BigVE
07-22-2008, 05:04 AM
I have never harbored any resentment towards any JW's but if THEY are the reason CLAYTHAN turned out like he did I may have to re-think my views. ;) Your one messed up dude. You obviously have a very sad and very messed up existence.

FWIW, I certainly do NOT feel that all people should have kids. I love my kids but I can see myself being perfectly happy without them too, honestly.

Skip Towne
07-22-2008, 07:26 AM
I wouldn't take a million dollars for the one I have and I wouldn't give you 10 cents for another one.

bizzar54
07-22-2008, 07:32 AM
I am curious if the people who dont want kids have any siblings? I say from the friends that I have who were only childs the world revolved around them their whole life and I believe the thought of someone else coming first is something they couldnt handle. Like I said just based upon some of the friends I have.

I am 26 and have a little girl who turns two next month and a 6 month old boy. Granted my stories at lunch definitely lack the excitement factor when everyone else talks about how drunk they got at KCPL or random chicks they hooked up with and my stories are like well you should have seen the excitement on my little girls face when she saw the gorillas at the Omaha zoo last weekend. Yeah it doesnt have the wow factor but the parents know what I am talking about.

Last month the kids spent back to back weeks alternating between the grandparents houses. The mrs and I were excited to have two weeks to ourselves but found that most of the time we were sitting there saying "what do you think the rugrats are doing now"

Life definitely would not be complete without them and hopefully in a couple more years God willing we will be adding to the family.

ChiTown
07-22-2008, 08:29 AM
I am curious if the people who dont want kids have any siblings? I say from the friends that I have who were only childs the world revolved around them their whole life and I believe the thought of someone else coming first is something they couldnt handle. Like I said just based upon some of the friends I have.

I am 26 and have a little girl who turns two next month and a 6 month old boy. Granted my stories at lunch definitely lack the excitement factor when everyone else talks about how drunk they got at KCPL or random chicks they hooked up with and my stories are like well you should have seen the excitement on my little girls face when she saw the gorillas at the Omaha zoo last weekend. Yeah it doesnt have the wow factor but the parents know what I am talking about.

Last month the kids spent back to back weeks alternating between the grandparents houses. The mrs and I were excited to have two weeks to ourselves but found that most of the time we were sitting there saying "what do you think the rugrats are doing now"

Life definitely would not be complete without them and hopefully in a couple more years God willing we will be adding to the family.

I hear ya, man.

My kids are the most important thing in my life. More important than my life, my wife or my work. I look forward to the break away from them when I travel for work, but miss them so much while I'm away that I can't wait to see them again when I get back home.

I only get one chance at being a Dad, so I don't plan on screwing it up. There are times, however, that being selfish is much more fun than doing what's best for my kids. However, my wife and I are very good about reeling ourselves back in and focusing on what's most important. I have a great family and a great life, and I thank God for both every day. Having happy, healthy children are a true blessing.

Saulbadguy
07-22-2008, 08:40 AM

I have a younger brother and don't want any kids. Although i'm married, so I don't exactly fit the Midnight_Douchebag profile. I just enjoy the time I spend with my wife, and right now I have priorities that would get screwed up if I had a kid.

Lzen
07-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes, I am 36 and have 3 children, ages 15(boy), 12(boy), and 6(girl). They bring me joy and love as well as anger and headaches/heartaches (at times). If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Lzen
07-22-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't have any and I plan on keeping it that way.
Whew!! Thank God!!

:p

Lzen
07-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah, my wife and I got married and she had a daughter already who was 8 at the time. I forgot, my son had a birthday last month, he's 9! The age gap has been nice, she's always been a built in babysitter and their age differences help spread out the different needs and experiences. Get a good break between college financing!

-HH

I know exactly what you mean. :)

Mr. Flopnuts
07-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Heck, I may be retar(t)ed after all. It looks like you read the last line or so and thought it was a summary statement or something.

At that point, I was just throwing my hat in the ring with another "Kids are great" comment.

If you'll start at the beginning you'll see that I was making an observation that in my many years of hearing people talk about why they have or don't have kids, want or don't want kids, that I've never really found a convincing argument not to have them (with no special situations, I mean).

Feel free to make your own observations, too, by all means.

For sure not everyone thinks kids are great. I'm not even sure most do in this world. If I were using that as some hair-brained anchor for an argument, I'd be in trouble.

I read that this morning and thought, "A little defensive?" Meh, maybe. Like I said, I don't deny that I have issues, but I'd like to think that I'm being pragmatic by not having kids. Not that I'm ****ed up because of it. :)

Mr. Flopnuts
07-22-2008, 10:44 AM

Possibly. I'm an only child. There may be something to that.

angelo
07-22-2008, 11:26 AM
My wife and I are in our late thirties.
We do not have children nor do we plan on having kids.

I am happy for those of you that have children and the joy that they bring to your lives.

My wife and I have never had a desire to have children. You can call it selfish or whatever you want. We both come from large families and are recovering catholics. We are not kid oriented.

Ang

rad
07-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I believe folks that don't want kids have a bit of a selfish streak, probably a little scarred. (is that in the Lex yet?)

I wouldn't want to grow old without family to share it with. I think alot of these folks don't realize this. Friends come and go, even wives/husbands come and go. Kids will always be there for you.

Mecca
07-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Whew!! Thank God!!

:p

I'm only 27, I'm not opposed to a woman having a kid I just prefer to not have any that are mine.

stumppy
07-22-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm 45 and have 3 kids.(And 2 grandchildren) My daughter is 20, the boys are 18 and 17.

None of my children were planned. I had no intentions of becoming a father at all.......EVER.
That being said, the day my daughter was born you couldn't have slapped the smile off of my face. And it just got better with each child.
Raising children is the most rewarding thing a person can do in their lifetime.

angelo
07-22-2008, 12:30 PM
The whole thing about being selfish has me confused.

I will admit that I am selfish, but that has no bearing on whether or not my wife and I feel the need to procreate. I quite simply do not want kids. I can not understand why if someone states that they do not want children that they are said to be selfish.

I fully realize that my wife and I will grow old without children. I am not scarred at all.

I did the math kids are expensive ($280,000 per child over 18 years).
I will put that money in long term care.

The things I don't have to deal with are many.

If my dog knocks a b*tch up at least I can sell the puppies.
I won't get a call at 1:00am saying junior is in jail
I do not have to worry about college

The biggest thing is that I do not like kids. I can not relate to them. I have zero patience with them.

As I stated before: I am happy that your children bring you joy. It is not for me.

Ang

keg in kc
07-22-2008, 12:32 PM
None that I know of.

I don't ever plan to.

And if you don't want to have kids, then don't. That's not being "selfish", it's being responsible.

vailpass
07-22-2008, 12:45 PM

I will admit that I am selfish, but that has no bearing on whether or not my wife and I feel the need to procreate. I quite simply do not want kids. I can not understand why if someone states that they do not want children that they are said to be selfish.

I fully realize that my wife and I will grow old without children. I am not scarred at all.

The biggest thing is that I do not like kids. I can not relate to them. I have zero patience with them.

As I stated before: I am happy that your children bring you joy. It is not for me.

Ang

You damn kids keep your ball outa' my yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angelo
07-22-2008, 12:58 PM
That is what the hose is for.

Ang

Goapics1
07-22-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm 38 and have 5 boys all by the same woman:
3 mos (twins)

The Rick
07-22-2008, 01:05 PM
That's why he goes by "HolyHandgrenade"! :)

The Rick
07-22-2008, 01:25 PM
I have a 4 year old girl, a 6 month old son, and another one scheduled to arrive in December. I know it's been said already, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

My 4 year old is a joy to be around. It's amazing how much she's growing and learning each day. The questions she asks, the sheer joy she takes in simple things, etc.

My 6 month old son is a lady killer already. He's definitely got the flirty, killer smile thing down that makes the ladies swoon. Watching him grow and develop a personality is a lot of fun.

As for the one on the way, we find out this week if it's a boy or girl. Since we already have one of each, it really doesn't matter to me either way as long as he/she is healthy. I'm a little nervous about having #3 just 11 months after #2, but I know in the end, #3 will bring even more joy.

Count Zarth
07-22-2008, 01:28 PM
right now I have priorities that would get screwed up if I had a kid.

I'm sure your son will love World of Warcraft, too.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-22-2008, 01:30 PM

Ang

There's nothing wrong with that. It's a reality for me as well. I've just overanalyzed it to the point that I've written myself off as "selfish". I don't know, I don't think there's anything at all wrong with someone not wishing to procreate. There's plenty of people out there having 8 kids. That more than makes up for my share.

Groves
07-22-2008, 01:47 PM
And if you don't want to have kids, then don't. That's not being "selfish", it's being responsible.

Amen. People for sure shouldn't have any unless they want them. Gots no problem with that.

angelo
07-22-2008, 01:47 PM
I think what is selfish are those who wish to fill a void in their life by bring a child into it. If more people took the time to look inside themselves and ask the hard questions before procreating we would not have as many problems as we do now. I see daily people who use their children to live out some quashed dream of their own. People who drive their children to the brink of exhaustion with activities and then abandon them in front of television or video games so as not to be bothered. Children now are almost an accessory to some people.
They do not want to discipline them, they want to be their buddy when it is convenient to them.

I have said this before and I will say it again.
We have to register to vote, have a license to drive and to own a gun. You should have to take a class before you can have a kid.

Ang

Saulbadguy
07-22-2008, 01:54 PM

I suppose I could force him to farm gold. o:-) FWIW I don't play it anymore..although I might fire it back up come winter time..

Saulbadguy
07-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I believe folks that don't want kids have a bit of a selfish streak, probably a little scarred. (is that in the Lex yet?)

I wouldn't want to grow old without family to share it with. I think alot of these folks don't realize this. Friends come and go, even wives/husbands come and go. Kids will always be there for you.

:rolleyes:

I don't think it's selfish to not want kids. Who exactly are you hurting by not having children?

As for having family - that's what nieces and nephews are for. :hmmm:

Groves
07-22-2008, 01:57 PM
I think what is selfish are those who wish to fill a void in their life by bring a child into it. If more people took the time to look inside themselves and ask the hard questions before procreating we would not have as many problems as we do now. I see daily people who use their children to live out some quashed dream of their own. People who drive their children to the brink of exhaustion with activities and then abandon them in front of television or video games so as not to be bothered. Children now are almost an accessory to some people.
They do not want to discipline them, they want to be their buddy when it is convenient to them.

We have to register to vote, have a license to drive and to own a gun. You should have to take a class before you can have a kid.

Ang

Spot on with your observations. There are many ways to be selfish. Here's a fantastic and funny read on it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PFWPF92CL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Madness-Motherhood-Age-Anxiety/dp/1594481709/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216756533&sr=8-1

WilliamTheIrish
07-22-2008, 02:00 PM

Ang

Wise words Angelo.

I work in a business where I see helpless kids beaten, negelected or abdandoned. I'm certainly not likening you to them, but if they had used your thought process, maybe, just maybe, there would be fewer abused children in this world.

WilliamTheIrish
07-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Almost forgot.

I'm 46 and have 6 brothers and 5 sisters. I have two childr..... well they are adults now.

24 year old son.

22 year old daughter who is going into the Army.

Bearcat2005
07-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Im 25, a young professional in my career in addition to being enrolled in a PhD program.= NO KIDS!!! :)

Bearcat2005
07-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Almost forgot.

I'm 46 and have 6 brothers and 5 sisters. I have two childr..... well they are adults now.

24 year old son.

22 year old daughter who is going into the Army.

Congrats, especially on your daughter. I will keep her in my prayers.

Count Zarth
07-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Any single dudes with kids here? How do the women take your rugrats?

vailpass
07-22-2008, 02:07 PM
There's nothing wrong with that. It's a reality for me as well. I've just overanalyzed it to the point that I've written myself off as "selfish". I don't know, I don't think there's anything at all wrong with someone not wishing to procreate. There's plenty of people out there having 8 kids. That more than makes up for my share.

Absolutely, to each his own.

vailpass
07-22-2008, 02:08 PM

Ang

Thanks for that little piece of sunshine. :)

Lzen
07-22-2008, 02:11 PM

:LOL:

el borracho
07-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Wow, I am on the complete opposite side of the argument when relating selfishness to kids. Procreating instead of adopting (and there are plenty to be adopted) to me indicates a selfishness. If one has so much love to offer a child and if a child benefits a parent so much why should it matter who the progenitor is? It shouldn't, but instead of rushing out to make a child's life better the overwhelming majority is set on having "their own" kids. How is that not selfishness?

By the way, Groves, one's view on world population might reasonably influence one's decision to have children or not. If one views overpopulation of the planet as a legitimate problem (as I do) then one should be ethically bound to consider one's actions before exacerbating the problem. I love kids... but I wish people would procreate less and/ or focus more on the children that are already here.

RJ
07-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Ang

Dude, I really don't think that taking a class is going to help a bad parent become a good parent. Parenting doesn't come from a book, it comes from love.

Demonpenz
07-22-2008, 03:11 PM
It sucks when people see their kids as a boredom, then you see people struggle to adopt, or have kids naturally, you want to shake the shit out of people and say. You don't know how many people would love to have your kids. Like many things in life they don't know how good they got it.

BigVE
07-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Wow, I am on the complete opposite side of the argument when relating selfishness to kids. Procreating instead of adopting (and there are plenty to be adopted) to me indicates a selfishness. If one has so much love to offer a child and if a child benefits a parent so much why should it matter who the progenitor is? It shouldn't, but instead of rushing out to make a child's life better the overwhelming majority is set on having "their own" kids. How is that not selfishness?

By the way, Groves, one's view on world population might reasonably influence one's decision to have children or not. If one views overpopulation of the planet as a legitimate problem (as I do) then one should be ethically bound to consider one's actions before exacerbating the problem. I love kids... but I wish people would procreate less and/ or focus more on the children that are already here.

I didn't read through all the pages before this page but you must not have kids of your own then. Part of the joy of parenthood for me is seeing the little bits of mom and dad come out through my kids actions/words/thoughts/ideas. My son is soooooooo much like his mom and her side of the family in alot of different areas yet he is a mini-me in other ways. My daughter is more like me and my side of the family yet she gets her sensitive loving side from her dear sweet mother. Now, I do know that a parent can and will instill alot of personality traits into their kids no matter what but it would NOT BE THE SAME if they were someone elses spawn. It just wouldn't. Now, that being said, If I were to adopt a child I know that I would still love it but I can't see myself loving it in the same way that I love my very own offspring. It's not the same. I do agree that more people should adopt though. Selfish or not, it is what it is.

vailpass
07-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Dude, I really don't think that taking a class is going to help a bad parent become a good parent. Parenting doesn't come from a book, it comes from love.

True that. Can't tell you how many times over the years I've looked for that damned Parenting Instruction Book.
I even called my parents to ask where it was. Never heard them laugh so hard.

Groves
07-22-2008, 03:20 PM

It's quite true, though I don't agree with the premise.

I'm also on a personal mission to solve the world's problem of containing too much chicken wings and bleu cheese. Wish me luck.

angelo
07-22-2008, 03:20 PM

I understand. I also know that it would be impossible to enforce. Let me ask you this did you take drivers ed in high school.

I think that just like driver ed there should be a year long health class that focuses on sex and parenting. It might just cut down on teen pregnancy.

Ang

BigVE
07-22-2008, 03:26 PM
I understand. I also know that it would be impossible to enforce. Let me ask you this did you take drivers ed in high school.

I think that just like driver ed there should be a year long health class that focuses on sex and parenting. It might just cut down on teen pregnancy.

Ang

They have had them around here for years. Not new. Did you skip high school? Or are you THAT old? LOL

They have mandatory classes here that help teach the kids more details of STD's, parenthood and all that crap/stuff. They have those stupid fake dolls that cry and crap. Some classes they just have to take care of an egg for a week and keep from breaking it. Either way, its been around since I was in high school 20 years ago.

Regardless it's just a basic tutorial....there is only one way to get your REAL parenting degree and that's on the job! There is only so much that can be taught to some people.

angelo
07-22-2008, 03:40 PM
They have had them around here for years. Not new. Did you skip high school? Or are you THAT old? LOL

They have mandatory classes here that help teach the kids more details of STD's, parenthood and all that crap/stuff. They have those stupid fake dolls that cry and crap. Some classes they just have to take care of an egg for a week and keep from breaking it. Either way, its been around since I was in high school 20 years ago.

Regardless it's just a basic tutorial....there is only one way to get your REAL parenting degree and that's on the job! There is only so much that can be taught to some people.

I must be that old because they had nothing like that when I was in school.

If the only way to get a real degree is on the job the a good number of parents are flunking out/should be fired (you mixed metaphors first).

I do not know. I just get sick of seeing parents letting their children run wild with no discipline. We are breeding a nation of whiners. It is like the Lord of The Flies at the mall, the movies or anywhere kids are any more.

Ang

RJ
07-22-2008, 03:43 PM
True that. Can't tell you how many times over the years I've looked for that damned Parenting Instruction Book.
I even called my parents to ask where it was. Never heard them laugh so hard.

Yeah, when I call my mom with that kind of question she usually responds with something like "Well, what comes around goes around" or "Now you know how I felt", always accompanied by raucous laughter. I'm glad I'm still able to sprinkle a little joy in her life.

BigVE
07-22-2008, 03:50 PM

If the only way to get a real degree is on the job the a good number of parents are flunking out/should be fired (you mixed metaphors first).

I do not know. I just get sick of seeing parents letting their children run wild with no discipline. We are breeding a nation of whiners. It is like the Lord of The Flies at the mall, the movies or anywhere kids are any more.

Ang

Well, IMO, today a person is branded as an abuser if he believes in spanking his child, so many parents do NO discipline at all. OR, alot of parents are too lazy to put the work into disciplining their children....yes it is work for sure. My kids are well behaved and always have been (not perfect for sure) but that is partly because that is what I expected from them and taught them from a very young age and we were consistent. Yes, I spanked my kids when necessary but I didn't have to do it that often. On the other hands there are A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. kids around now than ever, that can't help things.

SLAG
07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
24-
Have 3 kids - ages 5, 4, and appx 2 months.

And we are not done yet!

RJ
07-22-2008, 03:58 PM

Ang

While it is certainly true that many parents don't discipline their children I think it's also true that people who don't have kids have a much lower threshold of tolerance for bad behavior. For instance, what looks to you like a bunch of uncivilized primates running amok might look to parents like a bunch of kids playing.......though I admit that the difference is subtle :)

I think most people try their best to be good parents - certainly every parent posting on this thread thinks he does - but we're not perfect and neither are our kids. Also, things are different today. Children's leisure time is more likely to be spent at the movies or the mall or some other indoor place with adults around. When I was a kid we were no bother to adults at all.....cause they never freaking saw us! So I can certainly understand that an adult w/o children would probably find that stuff very annoying. But hey, if nobody had kids who would wipe our butts when we're all in the old folks home?

angelo
07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
I don't quite buy ADD and ADHD as an illness. When I was young it was called acting up and my mom would pop us and when my dad got home he would pop us.

If we did not pay attention the nuns smacked us with a ruler ( I still have the hash marks from 1 1/2" to 5 1/4" imprinted on the back of my hand)

The kids today are so heavily medicated it is pathetic. If a kid get fidgety they put him on Ritalin. If he get down the put him on Paxil and diagnose him with Bipolar. Kids are being diagnosed at a rate of 40 times more than they were 10 years ago. So are more kids bipolar or are they being misdiagnosed. If you are going to have kids do all of us a favor a at least take the time to raise them.

Big Ve

Thank You for raising yours with some discipline.
p.s. wash their hands often they are walking petri dishes

Ang

BigVE
07-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Big Ve

Thank You for raising yours with some discipline.
p.s. wash their hands often they are walking petri dishes

Ang

My wife and I have received many compliments over the years about our kids good behavior, especially in restaurants and other public places and we do appreciate the compliments because it took alot of hard work to get to that point. I have little or no patience for kids today who are allowed to scream and act horribly in public. We left a restaurant early the other day because some A-hole was just letting their 3 or 4 year old whine and cry incessantly. We got to-go boxes and left. I have gotten to the stage now where instead of non-smoking sections in public establishments there should be NO KID ZONES in restaurants. No kids under 12 years old would be good enough for me. In fairness though, there were some pretty obnoxious teenagers in that same place (older teens) that were pretty loud and rowdy but the crying screaming kid trumped the obnoxious loud teens.

el borracho
07-22-2008, 05:13 PM
I didn't read through all the pages before this page but you must not have kids of your own then. Part of the joy of parenthood for me is seeing the little bits of mom and dad come out through my kids actions/words/thoughts/ideas.

Now, I do know that a parent can and will instill alot of personality traits into their kids no matter what but it would NOT BE THE SAME if they were someone elses spawn. It just wouldn't. Now, that being said, If I were to adopt a child I know that I would still love it but I can't see myself loving it in the same way that I love my very own offspring. It's not the same. I do agree that more people should adopt though. Selfish or not, it is what it is.

No, no children yet and, as stated earlier, I'm approaching an age where that might not make sense (although I have not ruled it out completely for the moment). Just looking at things from a different angle than most, I suppose, and maybe giving others something to think about.

Your post reaffirms my thoughts, really. People aren't generously donating their DNA for the future benefit of mankind; they are procreating because they want to see a little version of themselves. It's ok. It's natural and all of us are selfish to varying degrees but I do wish that more people could be content with one or two and then consider adoption if they want more children.

BigVE
07-22-2008, 05:16 PM
No, no children yet and, as stated earlier, I'm approaching an age where that might not make sense (although I have not ruled it out completely for the moment). Just looking at things from a different angle than most, I suppose, and maybe giving others something to think about.

Your post reaffirms my thoughts, really. People aren't generously donating their DNA for the future benefit of mankind; they are procreating because they want to see a little version of themselves. It's ok. It's natural and all of us are selfish to varying degrees but I do wish that more people could be content with one or two and then consider adoption if they want more children.

I mentioned before that I think I would be perfectly happy NOT having children. For the record both of my kids were the result of FAILED birth control methods. So "procreating because they want to see a little version of themselves" wasn't really factored in....in fact, I hope my kids end up NOT like me over all and thats a fact.

Count Zarth
07-22-2008, 05:21 PM
24-

And we are not done yet!

Catholics don't count.

el borracho
07-22-2008, 05:38 PM
I mentioned before that I think I would be perfectly happy NOT having children. For the record both of my kids were the result of FAILED birth control methods. So "procreating because they want to see a little version of themselves" wasn't really factored in....in fact, I hope my kids end up NOT like me over all and thats a fact.

Ah, another popular reason people become parents- surprise pregnancy. I wonder, what are the top five reasons people would give for procreation instead of adoption?

Rain Man
07-22-2008, 05:50 PM
No kids, by choice. My wife and I plan to adopt a young third-world woman to be our caretaker when we're old.

BigMeatballDave
07-22-2008, 06:06 PM
24-

And we are not done yet!:D

brodieownsme
07-22-2008, 06:24 PM
no kids for me.

RJ
07-22-2008, 07:00 PM
No kids, by choice. My wife and I plan to adopt a young third-world woman to be our caretaker when we're old.

Why wait until you're old? Get one now and have some fun!

Youth is wasted on the young.