PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Peter King says Favre will go to.....

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Tampa Bay

There's a reason why you haven't heard much about salary-cap ramifications during the Brett Favre mayhem. It's because the cap will have no bearing on the team that has his rights or on the team that's the best fit to acquire him.

As of Friday, Green Bay had $32.074 million remaining in 2008 cap money to spend, with Favre's $12.7 million nonguaranteed salary not on the current rolls. That's the second-most cap money any team in the league has. So whether the Pack keeps him or jettisons him won't be determined by money. It will be determined by need.

The following 10 teams could fit Favre on their team without much cap pain. These clubs have $13 million or more in cap money to spend:

Team Cap Room
Chicago $13.2 million
Jacksonville $13.7 million
San Diego $14.0 million
Philadelphia $18.4 million
Buffalo $19.9 million
Miami $20.9 million
New Orleans $24.2 million
Tampa Bay $26.2 million
Green Bay $32.1 million
Kansas City $36.6 million

If Favre leaves, eliminate Green Bay. Eliminate Chicago (he won't be dealt within the division, or allowed to sign with a team in the division), Buffalo and Miami and Kansas City (Favre wouldn't go), Jacksonville (just paid David Garrard), New Orleans (has Drew Brees), Philly (Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb are sufficient) and San Diego (Philip Rivers in-house, plus it's not GM A.J. Smith's style). And what do you have? Tampa Bay. Mark my words, people: The Bucs are going to be heard from in this story if the Packers decide to move him or let him walk. They most definitely will be heard from.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/07/20/mmqb/1.html

BigChiefFan
07-21-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't know why so many think Favre would have fit here-he wouldn't. Favre is a west-coast offense oriented QB, we don't run the WCO. Square peg in a round hole.

blueballs
07-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Green bay could clean up if they wait for a mid-season injury

StcChief
07-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Tampa has cap room and real need.... which makes Garcia a BU?

BigChiefFan
07-21-2008, 12:08 PM
The Bucs have Carl Perterson syndrome. Throw aging vets at positions with absolutely no regard for the future.

The Bad Guy
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM
The Bucs have Carl Perterson syndrome. Throw aging vets at positions with absolutely no regard for the future.

They won a Super Bowl in the last 10 years.

I wouldn't give a shit about the future if the Chiefs won it all once in the last decade.

Otter
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't know why so many think Favre would have fit here-he wouldn't. Favre is a west-coast offense oriented QB, we don't run the WCO. Square peg in a round hole.

Old habits are hard to break. I guarantee you there are KC fans who think signing Brett Farve and Barry Sanders would be a good idea.

The dog and pony show still sells and there are suckers who will buy tickets to it.

markk
07-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Favre QB rating last year: 95.7

Garcia QB rating last year: 94.6

BigChiefFan
07-21-2008, 12:22 PM

I wouldn't give a shit about the future if the Chiefs won it all once in the last decade.

I agree, however, lately the Bucs haven't been very good at developing their own. I thought Gruden was supposed to be a master at developing young talent on the offensive side-he sure hasn't shown much, IMO.

That said, give me the SB victory and screw the future.

KurtCobain
07-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Favre QB rating last year: 95.7

Garcia QB rating last year: 94.6

Farve's last name is cooler though.

Ari Chi3fs
07-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Farve's last name is cooler though.

especially when you misspell it.

BigRock
07-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Didn't Favre say like a week ago that he'd prefer a cold weather climate and he wasn't too wild about going to a place like Tampa Bay?

The Bad Guy
07-21-2008, 12:35 PM
I agree, however, lately the Bucs haven't been very good at developing their own. I thought Gruden was supposed to be a master at developing young talent on the offensive side-he sure hasn't shown much, IMO.

That said, give me the SB victory and screw the future.

Look at the run they had in developing talent.

Sapp, Lynch, Brooks, Barber, Brian Kelly, Warrick Dunn, Mike Alstott, McFarland.

That's a lot of very good players to develop over a period of time.

Gruden is just doing what he did in Oakland by finding old veterans at key positions.

Chiefnj2
07-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Tampa makes sense since they will run a west coast variation. Favre ain't learning a new system.

alpha_omega
07-21-2008, 12:47 PM
At this point....i would really love to see Favre's whiny ass sitting on the bench all year!

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 12:51 PM
At this point....i would really love to see Favre's whiny ass sitting on the bench all year!

Name 5 QB's in the NFL that were better than Favre last year.

markk
07-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Poor Favre. He get ticked because they didn't court him like they have in years past. He doesnt feel like he has to apprise the Packers of his plans until after a protracted squabble every offseason, he expects to just have a starting QB job waiting for him even though he retired. The team basically isn't allowed to proceed with their lives unless King Brett says so?

He acts like he owns the team. Or, he acts like he owns the whole NFL the way he expects to just have his pick of teams and walk into a starting QB job

The Bad Guy
07-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Poor Favre. He get ticked because they didn't court him like they have in years past. He doesnt feel like he has to apprise the Packers of his plans until after a protracted squabble every offseason, he expects to just have a starting QB job waiting for him even though he retired. The team basically isn't allowed to proceed with their lives unless King Brett says so?

He acts like he owns the team. Or, he acts like he owns the whole NFL the way he expects to just have his pick of teams and walk into a starting QB job

Favre should walk into the Packers as the starting QB if he wants to.

The guy has played with tons of injuries, never missed a game, and should have the luxury, when he played the game the way it should be played his entire career, to have his starting job back.

It wasn't like he had a bad year last year.

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 12:56 PM

Once again, i ask: Name 5 QB's in the NFL who were better than Favre last year. Thats why he gets that kind of power.

If it was Trent Dilfer acting this way, nobody would give two sh*ts.

StcChief
07-21-2008, 01:04 PM

well maybe after he's really to old to play and won't come back the No Favre League

can get past it.

until then media/fans have to put up with his whiney a$$

markk
07-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Once again, i ask: Name 5 QB's in the NFL who were better than Favre last year. Thats why he gets that kind of power.

If it was Trent Dilfer acting this way, nobody would give two sh*ts.

I didn't say he sucked. I'm saying he's being a huge crybaby

Pestilence
07-21-2008, 01:09 PM

The guy has played with tons of injuries, never missed a game, and should have the luxury, when he played the game the way it should be played his entire career, to have his starting job back.

Then guess what? DON'T RETIRE!!!!

alpha_omega
07-21-2008, 01:16 PM

Your point is well taken; i am just getting tired of his Player/Coach/GM attitude.

Beerfund
07-21-2008, 02:15 PM

Agree

JuicesFlowing
07-21-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm going to the Tampa Bay game at Arrowhead this November so I hope he does end up in TB, but I doubt he will.

Phobia
07-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Peter King is a moron.

His hypothesis ignores two very important factors:
1. Teams can move money around, freeing cap space.
2. Favre is likely to sign a new contract if traded thus reducing his cap figure significantly.

Mecca
07-21-2008, 02:49 PM

You'd think a GM would be more worried about winning than his loyalty to his first draft pick...

All this is doing is putting even more pressure on Rodgers, but hey if he wants to get fired.

blueballs
07-21-2008, 04:05 PM
do you wonder what Redass thinks

NFL | Gannon doesn't think Favre will succeed
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:29:25 -0700

Steve Greenberg, of SportingNews.com, reports former NFL QB Rich Gannon does not think retired QB Brett Favre will be successful if he comes back to the NFL and joins a new team. "If Brett goes to a different team, the results will not be as pleasant. He'll struggle," Gannon said. "I think it'll be one (year) and done -- and he won't be happy with the way it ends."

-I agree

Valiant
07-21-2008, 04:27 PM

Brady, Manning, Romo, Roethlisberger, Then choose either Garrard, Anderson, Brees or Hasselbeck..

Mecca
07-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Brady, Manning, Romo, Roethlisberger, Then choose either Garrard, Anderson, Brees or Hasselbeck..

Please tell me you are kidding.....Brees had a very down year, Hasselbeck wasn't as good, Garrard got hype but he was still game managing and Anderson got bailed out repeatedly by his receivers.

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 04:34 PM

Nice try..but no.

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I think Favre throwing that pick at the end of the NFC Championship game has soured people's opinions of him. He had a very damn good year last year.

SPATCH
07-21-2008, 04:48 PM

got it

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I think Favre throwing that pick at the end of the NFC Championship game has soured people's opinions of him. He had a very damn good year last year.

The conditions in that game were brutal. I honestly dont know how anyone could have played effectively in that game? All the more amazing considering how well the Giants played in it.

Id be willing to bet the extreme cold affected Favres performance more than he would ever be willing to admit.

Valiant
07-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Please tell me you are kidding.....Brees had a very down year, Hasselbeck wasn't as good, Garrard got hype but he was still game managing and Anderson got bailed out repeatedly by his receivers.

Brees still managed more yards and a better completion percentage.. Same amount of TDs and 3 more ints then Favre..

Hasselbeck 100 some less yards thrown then Farve, same amount of TDs and 3 less ints then favre..

Garrard ran the perfect don't turn the ball over roll for a QB..

Anderson threw one extra TD, four more ints and about 400 yards less..

But somehow Favre was clearly better then the group of players with either similar or better stats last year??

Valiant
07-21-2008, 05:12 PM

He did great, but revisionist history seems to be popping up here on him being without question a top 5 QB last year..

RedNeckRaider
07-21-2008, 05:19 PM
He did great, but revisionist history seems to be popping up here on him being without question a top 5 QB last year..

But wait I read one of gochiefs paste articles by that Nick whatever that said the Chiefs could sign Favre and win the west go to the playoffs and maybe more :shrug:

beach tribe
07-21-2008, 05:56 PM

I think people highly underestimate his WRs, and supporting cast.

I think his WRs were Top Flight.

Mecca
07-21-2008, 06:25 PM

Remember when I wanted the Chiefs to draft Greg Jennings......oh yea.

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-21-2008, 06:27 PM

You are right. They had good recievers and good offensive line play last year. A QB's best friends.

The Bad Guy
07-21-2008, 07:03 PM

People change their minds all the time.

This is America. Not Communist China.

DT58HOF
07-21-2008, 10:42 PM

hmm so your saying if Joe Namath want's to play we should sign him?
how bout Montana he should show his rings and become the Chiefs starting QB?
come on seriously im a huge Orioles fan but the reason the team stunk is beacause Cal Ripken held the team hostage for so many years with his big salary, when all he did was showup and play everyday, with his numbers alone without the streak, he would of never got mentioned for hall of fame.
We dont have to worry about the Chiefs in a situation like this, as there is no Loyalty Derrick Thomas is still not listed in the Chiefs Hall of Fame!!

Consistent1
07-21-2008, 11:14 PM
come on seriously im a huge Orioles fan but the reason the team stunk is beacause Cal Ripken held the team hostage for so many years with his big salary, when all he did was showup and play everyday, with his numbers alone without the streak, he would of never got mentioned for hall of fame.
We dont have to worry about the Chiefs in a situation like this, as there is no Loyalty Derrick Thomas is still not listed in the Chiefs Hall of Fame!!

The Ripken comments are funny. I have always sort of thought that.

The Bad Guy
07-22-2008, 03:08 AM

Did you miss when I said his numbers were good last year?

Favre can still play football, and there lies the difference between your horrible ****ing comparison.

Favre has done more for the Packers than the Packers have done for him. He made the Packers matter again.

With his gritty play, and his nonstop drive over the last 16 years, he deserves the right to start as long as he plays at the level he has his career.

Redrum_69
07-22-2008, 08:49 AM
chiefs need favre
almost as much as they need
bengals players on work release programs

GoHuge
07-22-2008, 09:29 AM
I don't know why so many think Favre would have fit here-he wouldn't. Favre is a west-coast offense oriented QB, we don't run the WCO. Square peg in a round hole.Well to be perfectly honest our new offense is a version of the WC.

chiefs1111
07-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Remember when I wanted the Chiefs to draft Greg Jennings......oh yea.

Yeah,Jennings and Bowe would have been an awesome combo.......