PDA

View Full Version : Misc Have you ever been to Sturgis?

Redrum_69
07-21-2008, 01:43 PM
If so...what year(s) have you been?

What kind of sins have you witnessed at Sturgis?

BucEyedPea
07-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Yes I have. Year 2000.
What happens in Strugis stays in Strugis.

Scaga
07-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes I have. Year 2000.

You just know there are pictures floating around out there somewhere though, don't you! :evil:

Frazod
07-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Many times.

But I wouldn't be caught dead there (or anywhere in the Black Hills, for that matter) during that damn bike rally.

booyaf2
07-21-2008, 02:08 PM
This thread is worthless without ......

Pestilence
07-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I lived in South Dakota for 10 years....and I've only been to Sturgis once.

Lonewolf Ed
07-21-2008, 02:26 PM
I have been by there on my way to Montana and stayed in a hotel there once. It was not during the biker rally, however. I went to a biker bar and won about 45 bucks on video poker and bought a round for me, my friends, and the two bikers who were there. I played 5 card draw and got four 2s. Ah, if only I'd upped my wager prior to that draw... :doh!:

blueballs
07-21-2008, 03:33 PM
looking for your daddy

-too easy to pass up

markk
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
i heard the rally is not as rough as it used to be. any of you guys know if that is true?

StcChief
07-21-2008, 03:40 PM
I've seen pics, yes it's all there...

SDChief
07-21-2008, 04:07 PM
I live in Rapid City, about 25mi away. I'm going there on Friday for my son's baseball game as a matter of fact. The rally was a lot more fun (in my opinion) about ten or twelve years ago. Pretty rowdy, now it's pretty corporate. They bring in better bands for the campgrounds, but it's pretty watered down. And they gouge the hell out of everyone. $6 cans of beer, 200-300 dollar a night hotel rooms ect. I'm sure there is fun to be had, but I have stayed away for the past 5 yrs or so. The locals all dread it for the most part, but it's suppose to be smaller this year. One campground (Glenco) has like 150 camp sites and only like 50 were booked as of last week. Don't quote me on the numbers, but it was something like that. in years past they would have been booked a year in advance.

boogblaster
07-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Back in the 70s & 80s it was real wild ... Seen some good fights and several woundings ....

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 05:59 PM
The rally was a lot more fun (in my opinion) about ten or twelve years ago. Pretty rowdy, now it's pretty corporate.

I remember one year, maybe 8-10 years ago when a WCW wrestling event was held there. ROFL

Delano
07-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Many times.

But I wouldn't be caught dead there (or anywhere in the Black Hills, for that matter) during that damn bike rally.

Same here.

Bear Butte is a pretty cool place if you are into Native American spirituality.

LocoChiefsFan
07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Yes I have. Year 2000.

Is Strugis any where near Sturgis? ;)

SDChief
07-21-2008, 07:12 PM
I remember one year, maybe 8-10 years ago when a WCW wrestling event was held there. ROFL

yeah, I was at that rally a few nights. When your a local, you pick nights that you want to go up and fight the crowds. I think that same year, I went to some main st tent and watched a really bad washed up Warrant for a couple of songs. It was still the original singer with a bunch of other guys. He was hammered, the band sucked, to top it off I hated Warrant even when they were good. Me and a freind went with a girl that wanted to see it. The pitchers of beer were like twelve bucks. Me and my buddy left the girl there, went out to the Full Throttle, and I don't remember what happened after that. The 50th rally back in the early 90s was the most fun I've ever had at a rally, it was huge and I was a lot younger.

Bwana
07-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Last year and the year before to help out a store owner. They told me I had to go this year as well and I told them to get bent..........not going to happen. To many fricken people for my taste.

Bwana
07-21-2008, 07:35 PM
I live in Rapid City, about 25mi away. I'm going there on Friday for my son's baseball game as a matter of fact. The rally was a lot more fun (in my opinion) about ten or twelve years ago. Pretty rowdy, now it's pretty corporate. They bring in better bands for the campgrounds, but it's pretty watered down. And they gouge the hell out of everyone. $6 cans of beer, 200-300 dollar a night hotel rooms ect. I'm sure there is fun to be had, but I have stayed away for the past 5 yrs or so. The locals all dread it for the most part, but it's suppose to be smaller this year. One campground (Glenco) has like 150 camp sites and only like 50 were booked as of last week. Don't quote me on the numbers, but it was something like that. in years past they would have been booked a year in advance.

Indeed, as many Drs and corp pimps as bikers these days. Punk ass want to bes, trucking their bikes in and riding them around town. I was down there two weeks ago for three nights and the new Holliday Inn was a fine hotel though. The locals were aso ringing the part about not nearly as many people booking this year. I guess gas prices are making people have 2nd thoughts.

2bikemike
07-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I have went in 97, 02, 05, and 07 during the rally. All the really good raunchy stuff happens at the campsites like Buffalo Chip. Glencoe usually has some pretty decent entertainment as well. Since they are really private property L.E. doesn't get to concerned about the party.

Main St. is pretty tame just crowded as all get out. People watching can be pretty fun there your just not going to see the really raunchy stuff. L.E. is ontop of anything nearing indecency.

My wife and I will travel through the area after we go to Milwuakee for the 105th birthday bash for HD. The rally will be long gone but she has yet to see the Black Hills. We will also visit Yellowstone on the way home. Should be a good trip.

2bikemike
07-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Indeed, as many Drs and corp pimps as bikers these days. Punk ass want to bes, trucking their bikes in and riding them around town. I was down there two weeks ago for three nights and the new Holliday Inn was a fine hotel though. The locals were aso ringing the part about not nearly as many people booking this year. I guess gas prices are making people have 2nd thoughts.

A lot of folks going to Milwuakee instead. Its a couple weeks after Sturgis.

You know its funny you should mention Trucking the bikes in. The last time I went we had to drop off my buddies wife at the airport so she could get home and there were at least 10 Big Rigs loading up bikes at the airport. Now I could understand trucking in a full on custom but there were big ass comfortable electra glides being loaded as well.

Simply Red
07-21-2008, 09:22 PM
no

Cntrygal
07-22-2008, 10:14 AM
I've gone up there a couple times - because friends of mine were up there camping. I have no interest in the crowds though, they irritate me. The closest I'll get this year is Piedmont. The American Legion serves some killer meals and I got my arm twisted into helping out. :)

:eek: I live in Rapid Valley!

Redrum_69
07-23-2008, 08:39 AM
never been to sturgis