PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Novak: McCain to announce VP this week

dirk digler
07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow. McCain is running scared because of the Obama domination of the news and is getting desperate IMO.

Anyway this possibly could make Patteeu happy since it looks like the leader right now is Romney.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=27630

ENPR Special: Sources say McCain Veep Pick to Come This Week
07/21/2008

Sources close to Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign are suggesting he will reveal the name of his vice presidential selection this week while Sen. Barack Obama is getting the headlines on his foreign trip. The name of McCain's running mate has not been disclosed, but Mitt Romney has led the speculation recently.

SNR
07-21-2008, 05:52 PM
McCain needs someone smart to pair up with. In other words NOT Mitt Romney.

That would be like Obama picking John Kerry

dirk digler
07-21-2008, 05:58 PM
McCain needs someone smart to pair up with. In other words NOT Mitt Romney.

That would be like Obama picking John Kerry

McCain needs someone who is smart on economics and Romney fits the bill.

I just don't think choosing Romney is going to help much and He is not going to bring any states into the mix.

SNR
07-21-2008, 06:04 PM

I just don't think choosing Romney is going to help much and He is not going to bring any states into the mix.Budgeting for a business ain't like budgeting for a country, though. Some of the spending proposals I heard Romney talking about when he was running were absolutely ridiculous.

I have a feeling McCain will veto all the earmark bills and then say, "well, I cut spending." If he gets elected, he'll be just as spendthrift as Bush was, and Romney isn't going to help one bit.

dirk digler
07-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Budgeting for a business ain't like budgeting for a country, though. Some of the spending proposals I heard Romney talking about when he was running were absolutely ridiculous.

I have a feeling McCain will veto all the earmark bills and then say, "well, I cut spending." If he gets elected, he'll be just as spendthrift as Bush was, and Romney isn't going to help one bit.

I don't think picking Romney is about what he will do as VP it is about getting elected..period. McCain has a huge problem because most people accurately believe that he knows zilch about the economy. He has even admitted as much and since the economy is going to be the #1 issue he has to take someone that knows economics. Plus picking Romney will help solidify the conservative base which pretty much hates McCain right now.

noa
07-21-2008, 06:14 PM
I think its going to be Romney.

Calcountry
07-21-2008, 06:34 PM

I just don't think choosing Romney is going to help much and He is not going to bring any states into the mix.
You are dumb, and dumber. Romney brings Michigan into play.

McCain needs that to offset Ohio.

whoman69
07-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I was hoping the Republicans were stupid enough to select Romney. This guy painted himself as far away from his actual record as possible. He was the be all, end all for the people. His attitude was if they people believe it then it must be good. I actually couldn't really tell you one thing that Romney really believes in because he ran away from his record so hard.

Taco John
07-21-2008, 06:40 PM

How so? Romney is a businessman, not an economist.

dirk digler
07-21-2008, 06:44 PM

Right now Obama is leading McCain in Michigan by 8 points. I don't think he is going to help much there since 14% of the population is African Americans.

dirk digler
07-21-2008, 06:45 PM
How so? Romney is a businessman, not an economist.

People equate a successful businessman with knowing what to do with the economy.

ROYC75
07-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Right now Obama is leading McCain in Michigan by 8 points. I don't think he is going to help much there since 14% of the population is African Americans.

Bingo, I have a feeling it will be Huckaby.

BTA, I wanted Thompson to get elected as Pres.

Direckshun
07-21-2008, 07:08 PM
McCain openly hated Romney more than any candidate he's ever run against, I believe.

It would be assinine of him to select Romney. To say nothing of the fact that Romney freaks out most voters anyway, and has almost zero independents' appeal. He is an unrivaled attack dog, however, and cherishes scraping for a victory.

To me, I believe Huckabee would be far better a selection. Huckabee is capable of grabbing headlines in positive ways that Romney is not. He's got some independent appeal believe it or not, and the base would love to work for Huckabee's Presidency when McCain is ready to step down after one term or two.

I long thought McCain should have ideally picked Condoleeza, but that's another conversation. Huckabee would be my realistic pick. Romney would just be confusing.

Direckshun
07-21-2008, 07:11 PM

McCain's not trailing in Ohio by that much.

jAZ
07-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I don't buy it.

It's an attempt to regain some visibility in the media, but it's pissing away his big annoucement during a time when the attention will be split.

He's cutting his VP "Bounce" by at least some margin if he does it this week.

I predict this report is false.

Taco John
07-21-2008, 07:31 PM
I had a conversation with an ex-marine buddy of mine at a poker party last weekend. He knows I'm a Ron Paul fan, and asked me if I was going to bother voting, or if I was just going to accept that Obama is going to be president. I told him that I wasn't so sure of that yet, being coy as I don't believe McCain has the gas in the tank for this race. He said, "shit dude, you're a Denver Fan - you guys are half to blame. Think about it: what's it going to look like when this guy fills a world class stadium with people to accept the nomination - it's going to be a worldwide show - the political Superbowl, and everyone is going to be eating out of his hand from that moment on. This election is a joke! I'm not even showing up to vote I'm so disgusted. **** McCain and double**** Obama."

I couldn't hardly believe what I was hearing. I was in Oregon, so I understood why him voting at all was a pretty fruitless thing to do. But I hadn't really given much thought to the whole spectacle that the Republican party is faced with with Obama accepting the nomination in grand fasion like that.

Baby Lee
07-21-2008, 07:57 PM

If by Huckaby, you mean Huckabee, a Tuesday in November just opened up for me to sleep in.

patteeu
07-21-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't buy it.

It's an attempt to regain some visibility in the media, but it's pissing away his big annoucement during a time when the attention will be split.

He's cutting his VP "Bounce" by at least some margin if he does it this week.

I predict this report is false.

I don't know whether it's true or false, but I agree that it's a curious move if it happens. If it does happen, I think dirk might be right that it's a sign of weakness. The way the conventions are laid out, McCain doesn't have to pick a running mate until after Obama does so he could conceivably pick someone with the full dem ticket in mind (what does he do if Obama picks a woman, what does he do if Obama picks Richardson, what does he do if Obama picks a moderate, etc. ).

I think Romney is a great guy and would make a great President, but unless he really can deliver Michigan (and I'm skeptical), I'm not sure he helps all that much. It might help Romney's chances next time around though, which is a small silver lining for me, I guess.

jAZ
07-21-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't know whether it's true or false, but I agree that it's a curious move if it happens. If it does happen, I think dirk might be right that it's a sign of weakness. The way the conventions are laid out, McCain doesn't have to pick a running mate until after Obama does so he could conceivably pick someone with the full dem ticket in mind (what does he do if Obama picks a woman, what does he do if Obama picks Richardson, what does he do if Obama picks a moderate, etc. ).

I think Romney is a great guy and would make a great President, but unless he really can deliver Michigan (and I'm skeptical), I'm not sure he helps all that much. It might help Romney's chances next time around though, which is a small silver lining for me, I guess.

It's always good to be able spotlight a moment when we agree.

:thumb:

beer bacon
07-21-2008, 11:37 PM
If McCain is seriously choosing his VP this week then it is a monumentally stupid move.

If McCain has no intention of choosing his VP until after the Democratic Convention, but he is just spreading these rumors right now to take some of the spotlight off Obama, then it is pretty savvy.

I refuse to believe that McCainCo. is so frightened right now that they are going to burn one of the only good cards in their deck this early.

jAZ
07-21-2008, 11:38 PM
I had a conversation with an ex-marine buddy of mine at a poker party last weekend. He knows I'm a Ron Paul fan, and asked me if I was going to bother voting, or if I was just going to accept that Obama is going to be president. I told him that I wasn't so sure of that yet, being coy as I don't believe McCain has the gas in the tank for this race. He said, "shit dude, you're a Denver Fan - you guys are half to blame. Think about it: what's it going to look like when this guy fills a world class stadium with people to accept the nomination - it's going to be a worldwide show - the political Superbowl, and everyone is going to be eating out of his hand from that moment on. This election is a joke! I'm not even showing up to vote I'm so disgusted. **** McCain and double**** Obama."

I couldn't hardly believe what I was hearing. I was in Oregon, so I understood why him voting at all was a pretty fruitless thing to do. But I hadn't really given much thought to the whole spectacle that the Republican party is faced with with Obama accepting the nomination in grand fasion like that.

Don't worry.

McCain will always have his trusty green-screen.

:p

<embed FlashVars='videoId=176355' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

dirk digler
07-21-2008, 11:43 PM

I agree and I believe if he were to announce this week he knows he has no chance of winning IMO.

I think Romney would be a nice pick and better then any of the other except maybe Huckabee. I was watching Jay Leno on tonight and Chris Matthews was on and he said McCain would love to pick Tom Ridge but because he is pro-choice that would be a nut kick to the conservative base.

jAZ
07-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Could I be wrong? Nooo way!

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/07/mccain_to_meet_with_jindal.html

McCain To Meet With Jindal
John McCain will huddle with vice presidential aspirant Bobby Jindal during a trip to New Orleans later this week, sources close to the campaign confirm to The Fix.

McCain's trip to Louisiana on Wednesday was the cause of much head scratching in the political world as it was not in keeping with a week of planned stops in battleground states.

But, the meeting with Jindal, who has been the state's governor since 2007, suggests that McCain himself is deeply engaged in the process of picking his second-in-command and that the youthful Jindal is under serious consideration.

(Worth noting: Conservative columnist Bob Novak is reporting -- and Matt Drudge is touting -- that McCain will make his vice presidential pick known by the end of this week.)

dirk digler
07-22-2008, 08:54 AM
I would laugh my ass off if he picked Jindal. That would throw away any and all arguments about Obama's inexperience. The guy has been governor 1 year and was in the House for 2 years and that is it.

Plus his administration is already in trouble for ethics violations and he just signed into law a bill doubling legislators’ pay.

mlyonsd
07-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Is Jindal the guy that looks like Ray Ramono with a fake tan?

dirk digler
07-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Is Jindal the guy that looks like Ray Ramono with a fake tan?

LMAO Yeah. He is part Indian IIRC.

acesn8s
07-22-2008, 12:00 PM

Bring on the Hucka-boom!

Colbert will be proud.

HC_Chief
07-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Romney is the best choice IMO. He is the strongest VP candidate due to his empirical expertise in economics.

jAZ
07-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Romney is the best choice IMO. He is the strongest VP candidate due to his empirical expertise in economics.

My guess would be that McCain has made his choice and it's not Jindal, but Romney. Largely for exactly the reason you say.

And that he's not publicly annoucing his VP choice this week, but privately telling Jindal in person this week.

StcChief
07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't see Jindal... Romney is front runner (no announcement this week) with BO stealing thunder in ME.

Direckshun
07-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Jindal was on TV yesterday talking about how he's not up for VP consideration. This is no surprise.

Romney would be a weird, weird selection. It would be a very basic decision ("duh... economy important, Romney = economy, therefore Romney important!"), and one that would deflate McCain's already-deflated charge of flip-flopping. He attacked Romney for flip-flopping continuously during the primary, and that charge caught on enough to tank Romney.

Mark my words, the only thing Romney's good for is being a relentless attack dog.

He's going to bring in lots of negative headlines, he will kill McCain's independent appeal, and worse yet, he would make an utterly lousy President.

tiptap
07-22-2008, 01:31 PM
If you are going to run a campaign that is meant to attach Obama and not win on your own merits, then you need an attack dog early. One that can each day put the hammer down on the opponent. It is desperate but that is how they intend to run.