PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Michael Savage: Kids with autism are "brats" who need to "cut the act out"

banyon
07-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Radio host angers parents of autistic children
By DAVID BAUDER 2 hours ago

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j6X8F7Dkk2QieMRUQfAXl-pDyCvgD922HBC00

NEW YORK (AP) Radio talk show host Michael Savage, who described 99 percent of children with autism as brats, said Monday he was trying to "boldly awaken" parents to his view that many people are being wrongly diagnosed.

Some parents of autistic children have called for Savage's firing after he described autism as a racket last week. "In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out," Savage said on his radio program last Wednesday.

Savage offered no apology in a message posted Monday on his Web site. He said greedy doctors and drug companies were creating a "national panic" by overdiagnosing autism, a mental disorder that inhibits a person's ability to communicate.

On his radio show last week, he said: "What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, `Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, you idiot.'"

The government estimates about 1 in 150 children have some form of autism. But many experts believe these unsociable behaviors were just about as common 30 or 40 years ago and that the increase is mostly caused by a surge in special education services and a corresponding shift in diagnoses.

Wendy Fournier of the National Autism Association, a parents' advocacy group, said she was invited to speak Monday on Savage's three-hour program by Savage's boss, Mark Masters of Talk Radio Network, which syndicates the show across the country. A spokeswoman from Talk Radio Network did not immediately return a call for comment.

Fournier called Savage's comments "way, way, way over the line and cruel."

"I'm hoping to make him see the reality of what these kids are facing," she said. "You can't fix it by telling a kid to shut up. It's like telling a kid with cancer to stop being sick."

Evelyn Ain, whose 8-year-old son has been diagnosed with autism, said she had never heard of Savage and couldn't believe what she had heard when she first listened to the remarks. She organized a demonstration Monday outside New York's WOR-AM, which broadcasts Savage.

"That isn't just freedom of speech, it is hateful speech when you say 99 percent of children with autism are brats," she said. "I'll tell you, I wish I had a brat."

Savage, with more than 8 million listeners a week, is talk radio's third most popular personality behind Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity, according to Talkers magazine. He's made a living off bold, outrageous statements: His brief MSNBC show was canceled after he told a caller he should "get AIDS and die, you pig."

Peter Bell, executive vice president of national advocacy group Autism Speaks, said he isn't aware of any big controversy about overdiagnosis of autism. He said Savage's remarks, effectively blaming parents, reflect an outdated point of view.

"He's an entertainer, he does these things for attention," Bell said. "I think we should, to the best we can, ignore it."

<object width="320" height="335"><param name="movie" value="http://mediamatters.org/static/flash/mmfaplayer.swf"></param><param name="flashvars" value="config=http://mediamatters.org/tools/flash/config?id=462582"></param><embed src="http://mediamatters.org/static/flash/mmfaplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="config=http://mediamatters.org/tools/flash/config?id=462582" width="320" height="335"></embed></object>

HolmeZz
07-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Savage was just on Larry King Live, but Glenn Beck was filling-in for Larry and I had to turn off the television when Beck said Abraham Lincoln was a terrible public speaker.

SNR
07-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Savage was just on Larry King Live, but Glenn Beck was filling-in for Larry and I had to turn off the television when Beck said Abraham Lincoln was a terrible public speaker.Is CNN really dumb enough to turn that show into "Glenn Beck Live" after Larry dies of a heart attack in a couple years?

I used to listen to Savage a lot mostly for the entertainment value. He's the only talk show host who would get honestly angry with some of his callers, which was always fun to listen to. On occasion he'd go on a bitchy rant about how tough his job is and how much it sucks living in San Francisco :spock:

Anyway, the guy's gone completely nuts for the past year, and my local station which usually plays the conservative talk radio guys got bought out and is now a country station. I haven't listened to him in awhile, but this is more along the lines of a few of the outlandish statements he's made in the past just to get attention. The only reason this one is getting publicity is because it's directed at kids. It's actually a lot tamer than the insults of "scum" and "fetid pile of refuse" I've heard him say to several of his callers.

little jacob
07-21-2008, 08:13 PM
i was actually listening to that. it was typical savage, he started off by making some very interesting points and then went off the rails. first it was about there not being a true clinical diagnosis for autism or something, that it's all subjective based on these ratings scales and other stuff, that there's no set group of symptoms or whatever - how poorly understood it is, and how someplace was telling people your kid is autistic if they do things like stack objects one one top of another and some other ridiculous things. reminded me of that pamphlet from england a few weeks back that said your kid was racist if they didn't like ethnic food from other cultures.

anyway, i missed the above quotes but... eh. it's savage. you know what you're getting.

dirk digler
07-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I was watching it as well and I never knew that kids were being diagnosed with autism at a high level. I would have thought ADD but not autism. It was definitely an interesting discussion

FAX
07-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Savage once encouraged loyal, patriotic Americans to picket against illegal immigration but chose not to make the attempt to get his own fat ass out of his chair to join them.

He never should have changed his name from Weiner.

FAX

SNR
07-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Savage once encouraged loyal, patriotic Americans to picket against illegal immigration but chose not to make the attempt to get his own fat ass out of his chair to join them.

He never should have changed his name from Weiner.

FAXIn a few of his more long-winded exotic speeches, it would be equally appropriate if he just homophized it and changed the spelling from "Weiner" to "Whiner"

Simply Red
07-21-2008, 08:47 PM
love him or hate him, he's brilliant.

SBK
07-21-2008, 09:35 PM
I was listening to him tonight and he talked about how Media Matters misquoted him. He was interviewing a lady with some national autism organization.

banyon
07-21-2008, 09:44 PM
I was listening to him tonight and he talked about how Media Matters misquoted him. He was interviewing a lady with some national autism organization.

That dog don't hunt when the audio is right there.

bango
07-21-2008, 09:45 PM
I used to listen. He would make some good points and be way off at other times. If he was serious about wanting the world being just like 1950's Brooklyn, then he was way off. I turned him off when one of his remarks about a competitor was a little too much. I thought that he went too far by calling Greta Van Sustren Scarface.

SBK
07-21-2008, 09:50 PM
That dog don't hunt when the audio is right there.

Was that a small sound byte or was it the whole discussion?

He said that autism is over diagnosed and in the vast majority of cases the parents needed to tell the kids to behave, but he never said anything about the kids that really need the help.

I'm sure you knew that cause you heard the whole show right?

RJ
07-21-2008, 10:01 PM
I didn't hear the show but I did hear a clip that was way longer than what you might call a sound bite. He was way, way over any line that might be appropriate. If his point was over diagnosis he did a terrible job of making it.

banyon
07-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Was that a small sound byte or was it the whole discussion?

He said that autism is over diagnosed and in the vast majority of cases the parents needed to tell the kids to behave, but he never said anything about the kids that really need the help.

I'm sure you knew that cause you heard the whole show right?

I have to listen to the whole three hours now to place his three minute rant into context? Really?

SBK
07-21-2008, 10:03 PM
I have to listen to the whole three hours now to place his three minute rant into context? Really?

I don't care either way. You're an attorney, you know you can twist a comment into something it's not when you remove just part of the whole.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Shocking that a guy who once said

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sdtw-WDSzzI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sdtw-WDSzzI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

would say this.

Nightwish
07-21-2008, 10:09 PM
There are many words I would use to describe Michael Savage. Funny, irreverant, caustic, thought-provoking ... but brilliant ain't among 'em. This move puts him in that same company of loons as Rush Limbaugh and Tom Cruise, both of whom are hugely overrated.

banyon
07-21-2008, 10:12 PM
I don't care either way. You're an attorney, you know you can twist a comment into something it's not when you remove just part of the whole.

Yes, I know that you can take an isolated sentence or phrase out of context. It's pretty tough to do with the 2 minute rant I posted though.

I mean, I guess it could be prefaced by "The following is a satrical play for entertainment only" and that would explain it, but I'm assuming there's not some sort of comment.

I get it that he was originally talking about overmedication, a topic which given his initial comments I might have agreed with him. The problem was when he took it too far, which even several of the righties on here agree that he did. Just because he took his original topic which had a reasonable point and then made unreasonable points following that, doesn't mean, however, that it was "taken out of context". That's more or less a PR cop-out on his part by this point.

HolmeZz
07-21-2008, 10:15 PM

"So was Hitler?"