PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Seven Reasons Why the New iPhone Sucks

wendy666
07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Seven Reasons Why the New iPhone Sucks (http://www.topnewsblog.info/tblog_10437.htm)

Look before you leap before buying the new iPhone. This is the iPhone that all of us have been waiting for. It promised to address the deficiencies of the first generation iPhone, but does it really?

BTAU
07-22-2008, 07:44 AM
All that and that guy is still went to wait in line at the opening. I wonder why Apple hasn't made those changes if either way idiots like him are going to buy it.

The Rick
07-22-2008, 08:50 AM
My response...

1. Too expensive to own

The BlackBerry Curve costs $149 after a mail-in rebate with a 2 year contract. The iPhone is $199 with a 2 year contract, but no mail-in rebate. The monthly plans are the same for both phones.

2. Can't use the GPS like a GPS

This is just a rumor. As is said, TomTom has stated they'll be coming out with a GPS app soon. The following is a quote from Greg Joswiak, Apple's iPhone Marketing Director:

"The iPhone's GPS is just like the GPS in other phones, many of which do provide driving directions. Rather, there are some murky complicated issues preventing driving directions apps at the moment. It will evolve. I think our developers will amaze us."

Doesn't sound like there will be any SDK issues to me.

3. Can't tether the iPhone to your laptop

I'll concede this...you can't. This could be a sticking point for some.

However, I would challenge that the iPhone is such an advanced platform that a majority of the tasks you'd perform on your laptop could be performed on the phone itself which eliminates the need for tethering.

Plus, as wireless becomes more and more common, the need for tethering becomes less and less.

4. Still no cut and paste

Yes, this is true. According to Greg Joswiak again, it's on their list and once it's available, will be included in a free software update. It hasn't been a high priority thusfar. I would assume they're taking their time to figure out the right "gesture" with your fingers to get it right.

This isn't a deal breaker for me, but I suppose it may be for some.

5. Wimpy 2 MP camera

The BlackBerry Curve also has a 2 MP camera. I'm assuming this is a cost issue. Larger MP camera would increase the cost.

Plus, if I'm really want to capture memories of an event, I'm not going to be using my phone. I'm going to use my real camera. I'm going to use the camera on my phone to snap quick, fun photos that I can send in an email or push to social networking sites like Facebook.

Video is something that will probably be addressed in the future, again, with a free software update.

6. No stereo Bluetooth

How many people actually use this?

7. Flash support, MMS picture messages, voice dialing, mobile TV, replaceable battery, flash memory card, etc.

Flash support: memory hog = battery drain

MMS picture messaging: email, which the phone wonderfully supports, is a better solution anyway

Voice dialing: probably will be addressed by a third party developer

Mobile TV: third party developer

Replaceable battery: this is due to aesthetics. it's more eye catching without a clunky battery attached. plus, you can get the battery replaced and get a "loaner" while it's being replaced.

Flash memory card: it's got up to 16 GB of on board flash memory.

The phone certainly isn't perfect. It may never be perfect. Is there any phone out there that's perfect? I think, the iPhone is a heck of a lot better than any other phone out there.

One huge advantage is the free software updates that add functionality and features. You simply don't get this with other phones. Want the newest Windows Mobile OS? You have to wait until your contract is up and buy another phone!

Finally, the latest software update that added support for third-party programs is HUGE. Many shortcomings can be addressed by third-party developers. Apple can concentrate on core functionality and let developers address non-core things...similar to Firefox in my mind with its plugins. Stuff I don't care about, like Mobile TV, doesn't have to get lumped on to my phone with other stuff I do care about.

Simply Red
07-22-2008, 08:52 AM
who cares?

Pablo
07-22-2008, 08:53 AM
What's the Samsung Blackjack like?

Anyone have personal experience with that phone?

Swanman
07-22-2008, 09:00 AM
I have the LG Voyager and like it a lot. It has a complete GPS with full voice turn-by-turn directions. It has had 3G since it was launched, so surfing the net isn't too bad (not fast by any stretch, but it's a freaking phone). I can access all of my webmail and IM applications with it, which is nice. And it flips open with another screen and a full qwerty keyboard. And it's on the Verizon network, which is a huge bonus.

For the people that complain about the cameras in the Iphone and other phones like it: If you want a great camera, buy a great camera. The Iphone is a phone that happens to have a camera, but it's not a camera. The "all-in-one" stuff is getting a little out of control, in my opinion.

HC_Chief
07-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Read & heed, f*ckers!

Hopefully it drives some people away so I can finally get one!! :grr:

Deberg_1990
07-22-2008, 10:21 AM
The phone certainly isn't perfect. It may never be perfect. Is there any phone out there that's perfect?

I find it funny that the better technology gets over the years the more people want to bitch and whine about stupid stuff.

Its a miracle that people were able to survive without cell phones, PDA's and laptops 20 years ago. :)

irishjayhawk
07-22-2008, 10:42 AM
I find it funny that the better technology gets over the years the more people want to bitch and whine about stupid stuff.

Its a miracle that people were able to survive without cell phones, PDA's and laptops 20 years ago. :)

QFT

Especially with regards to MMS.

unlurking
07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Bullshit.

People were comparing features of wagons before we had cars and trains. People compared price points on horses based on muscle tone and coat. People look for value in EVERYTHING they buy. To look at technology as being different is a mistake on them. If you don't compare your options, you very rarely get a good deal.

dj56dt58
07-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Bullshit.

People were comparing features of wagons before we had cars and trains. People compared price points on horses based on muscle tone and coat. People look for value in EVERYTHING they buy. To look at technology as being different is a mistake on them. If you don't compare your options, you very rarely get a good deal.

qft

little jacob
07-22-2008, 09:20 PM
I use Apple stuff, I'm a Mac guy... I'd buy one if the cost of ownership weren't so high. It's ridiculous right now. There are a lot of things I don't spend $1000 a year on that are a lot more important than having this smart phone instead of any other smartphone. My wireless bill is about $60 a month right now so it would double... can't justify it. I'd probably break the SOB anyway.

I even heard that 3G data service costs more than the regular service. Dont know if that is true.

Hopefully this is the usual Apple gouging early adopters and the rest of us can come around in 12 months and get a decent deal on a nice product.

irishjayhawk
07-22-2008, 09:39 PM
I use Apple stuff, I'm a Mac guy... I'd buy one if the cost of ownership weren't so high. It's ridiculous right now. There are a lot of things I don't spend $1000 a year on that are a lot more important than having this smart phone instead of any other smartphone. My wireless bill is about $60 a month right now so it would double... can't justify it. I'd probably break the SOB anyway.

I even heard that 3G data service costs more than the regular service. Dont know if that is true.

Hopefully this is the usual Apple gouging early adopters and the rest of us can come around in 12 months and get a decent deal on a nice product.

Actually the negative price point is more because of ATT. Having said that, I agree that the ODD releases are going to be the better products and the EVEN releases will be mainstream releases. At least that's what the current trend is telling me. Revolutionary -> Evolutionary -> Revolutionary -> Evolutionary. Or I hope.