PDA

View Full Version : Elections Obama and his Media Girls Dress Code

HonestChieffan
07-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Team Obama issues dress code for female reporters

The Barack Obama campaign wanted to make sure that the reporters traveling along with the presidential candidate on his foreign tour presented themselves properly. His staff distributed a memo that dictated a dress code, reminding the women in the media entourage of the need to keep from offending the natives. Politico’s Carrie Budoff Brown e-mailed the memo to Ben Smith:

Quote:
Reporters traveling overseas with Sen. Barack Obama were thrown a bit of curve last week when the campaign emailed a “dress code” for Israel and Jordan. Aides had passed along as a courtesy the list that they had distributed to their staff to follow. But some of the tips raised a few eyebrows, particularly among the female reporters.

“Do not wear green.” (Explained later as the color of Hamas)

“Do not wear nail polish.”

“Women should only wear a limited amount of jewelry.”

“Shoulders and arms must be fully covered (no strapless tops, no tank tops, no short sleeve shirts.)”

“Closed-toe shoes, women should also wear stockings.”

At historical and religious sites, a suit or slacks should be worn, shoulders and arms must be covered (“no strapless tops, no tanks tops no short sleeve shirts”), shoes might need to be removed, and women may be asked to cover their heads and “should be prepared with a scarf/pashmina,” the email stated.

First, wouldn’t women traveling to the Middle East already understand at least some of this, especially the journalists? This gives more than just a faint whiff of paternalism, lecturing professionals about how they should comport themselves. All appearances to the contrary, the media entourage does not work for Team Obama. One might think that the women of the press would get offended by treating them like schoolchildren or idiots.

And some of this is downright strange, especially in Israel. Israeli women don’t wear nail polish and open-toed shoes? Apparently, they don’t like jewelry, either. Do they care if women wear stockings or not, and why should the Obama campaign care?

I suppose if any of this offends the women in the press, the proper response would be, “Just get over it, sweetie.”

Direckshun
07-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Link please.

Edit: Alright, since you won't link it, I will (http://hotair.com/archives/2008/07/21/team-obama-issues-dress-code-for-female-reporters/).

I swear to god half of the conservatives in this forum live and die by Hot Air.

whatsmynameagain
07-22-2008, 10:21 AM
how horrible that our future potus wants to make sure all that are with him are respectful. what a dickhead!Posted via Mobile Device

HonestChieffan
07-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Id love to see some press girl have the nads to wear whatever she wants. Freakin Mulims and their demands. Its not like they have to dress special here.

whatsmynameagain
07-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Id love to see some press girl have the nads to wear whatever she wants. Freakin Mulims and their demands. Its not like they have to dress special here.

you should respect others customs. you don't just go into another country and act like you can do whatever you feel like. I love it how us americans feel we are entitled to do whatever and whenever without regards to the enviroment around us. its selfish, pathetic, and embarassing. its the exact reason why the muslim world has the hatred to u that they do, along o course with the unwavering support for the zionist state of isreal.

Posted via Mobile Device

HonestChieffan
07-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Well on most things I agree. I just am sick of all this muslim demand BS., Cartoons? Cool, you dont like carttons that your prob. And we cant name a dog allah or any number of other names? screw that. If I want my dog to me called Muhammed thats none of some muslims business. If he wants to nake his pet Rat jesus, so be it I dont care.

If the muslim world hates someonre thats no reason to change our way of life to make them happy. The Radical Muslim religion is not a respectable thing anyway.

I need to go feed my pig Achmed and let Muhammed out.

jAZ
07-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Team Obama issues dress code for female reporters
That appears to be a lie, just based on reading exactly what you posted.
...the campaign emailed a “dress code” for Israel and Jordan. Aides had passed along as a courtesy the list that they had distributed to their staff to follow.
He issued dress code to his staff and passed along the information to the press. He didn't "issue a dress code for female reporters".

HonestChieffan
07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
WTF Lie? Hell its was sent and hand delivered.

jAZ
07-22-2008, 11:16 AM
WTF Lie? Hell its was sent and hand delivered.

Yes, it's a lie to say that his campaign issued a "dress code for female reporters". They issued a dress code for his staff and "passed (the list) along as a courtesy" to reporters.

Do you even read your own posts?

jAZ
07-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Well on most things I agree. I just am sick of all this muslim demand BS., Cartoons? Cool, you dont like carttons that your prob. And we cant name a dog allah or any number of other names? screw that. If I want my dog to me called Muhammed thats none of some muslims business. If he wants to nake his pet Rat jesus, so be it I dont care.

If the muslim world hates someonre thats no reason to change our way of life to make them happy. The Radical Muslim religion is not a respectable thing anyway.

I need to go feed my pig Achmed and let Muhammed out.
Well, that was revealing.

BucEyedPea
07-22-2008, 11:22 AM
There's nothing different in those advices than one would find in Travel Guide Book on the ME. Sheesh! My onw guide books advised the same.
Haven't any of the righties ever left America and visited a non-western country.

markk
07-22-2008, 11:22 AM

When you go to another country, you can't act that way. When you are working and selling a product, which is what a campaign is, you can't do that either.

You respect your customers, your audience, and avoid bad publicity. If a female staffer were dressed in a way that to Muslims is scandalous - the bare shoulders and such is considered nudity to them - that's going to overshadow their goal of trying to make him look presidential.

HonestChieffan
07-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Oh i know all that. Its just me venting...I am sick of Muslims making demands of everyone on everyfreaking damn thing.

BucEyedPea
07-22-2008, 11:26 AM
When you go to another country, you can't act that way. When you are working and selling a product, which is what a campaign is, you can't do that either.

You respect your customers, your audience, and avoid bad publicity. If a female staffer were dressed in a way that to Muslims is scandalous - the bare shoulders and such is considered nudity to them - that's going to overshadow their goal of trying to make him look presidential.

Not to mention their own protection. Arab men go beserk when they see scanty clothes. I've been there. They'll paw you and boldly stare you down. It triggers a certain image about women to them. Not safe imo.

HonestChieffan
07-22-2008, 11:29 AM
uncivilized heathens

irishjayhawk
07-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh i know all that. Its just me venting...I am sick of Muslims making demands of everyone on everyfreaking damn thing.

Don't worry. It's the normal cycle when a religion reaches a tipping point.

StcChief
07-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Don't worry. It's the normal cycle when a religion reaches a tipping point.about to be tipped over.

irishjayhawk
07-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Well, that was revealing.

And yes, that was pretty revealing but not surprising.

jAZ
07-22-2008, 12:06 PM

Are you about to demand that Muslims not demand so much?

markk
07-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Not to mention their own protection. Arab men go beserk when they see scanty clothes. I've been there. They'll paw you and boldly stare you down. It triggers a certain image about women to them. Not safe imo.

I have traveled in parts of the world where thighs are the biggest turn on for men, and women are almost never seen alone in public, and if not covered up they will be catcalled even if a man is with them.

It's dumb for people to make anything out of this. it's just basic manners.

Frankly it's embarrassing for Americans who travel to go somewhere that is culturally very different and just act like they own the place. It's like walking into your neighbor's house unannounced and sitting down on his couch in your underwear. Makes things harder for the rest of us when we go there, we have to overcome the stereotypes that the boorish create.

BucEyedPea
07-22-2008, 12:13 PM
I have traveled in parts of the world where thighs are the biggest turn on for men, and women are almost never seen alone in public, and if not covered up they will be catcalled even if a man is with them.

It's dumb for people to make anything out of this. it's just basic manners.

Frankly it's embarrassing for Americans who travel to go somewhere that is culturally very different and just act like they own the place. It's like walking into your neighbor's house unannounced and sitting down on his couch in your underwear. Makes things harder for the rest of us when we go there, we have to overcome the stereotypes that the boorish create.

I agree it's just basic manners. And I agree about the "Ugly American" syndrome. I've seen it abroad. "Harry! Harry! Give him a big tip! Then they won't ask for so much in foreign aid!" Ayup! One American woman's actual words.

markk
07-22-2008, 12:29 PM
I agree it's just basic manners. And I agree about the "Ugly American" syndrome. I've seen it abroad. "Harry! Harry! Give him a big tip! Then they won't ask for so much in foreign aid!" Ayup! One American woman's actual words.

I don't think most people are that big of idiots.

I just think if you're going someplace overseas you should at least be responsible enough to learn a few basic phrases of the language and dress appropriately, learn what is taboo and what isn't, spend a buck on a map and try to fend for yourself at least.

HonestChieffan
07-22-2008, 12:33 PM
I have traveled all over Europe and had some fantastic experiences. The "ugly american" exists as does the ugly frenchman, italian, german etc etc etc. No more do I judge Italy on the basis of thier oddballs do they in reality judge the US based on ours.

I do find it bothersome that in the muslim belief they find it so necessary to impose thier beliefs on others behaviors to the degree that they do and further I don't understand or agree with the pervasive political correctness of accepting it.

memyselfI
07-22-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't find the jewelry and clothing restrictions troublesome. What I find to be over the top, control freak, authoritarian BS is the don't wear great part. Apparently, top Arab leaders think it's bizaare.

But then it goes to the heart of NObama's media inspired manipulation campaign.

It did just dawn on me how his past religious experiences could lead him to assume when one sees green they think of Islam even subsconsciously. With his trying to run away from any such association it makes perfect sense. :hmmm::doh!:

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8713752

A spokesman for the Council on American Islamic Relations, Ibrahim Hooper, said Muslims might take offense at the campaign's instruction.

"Are you kidding?" Hooper asked, when told of the memo, calling the move a "misstep."

"The color green is associated with Islam worldwide," he said. "Whether in some particularly tiny geographic location there's some other local association based on politics is one thing, but to ask people not to wear green - are they going to ask people if he goes to Ireland, are they going to ask them not to wear green or orange?"

The president of the Arab American Institute, James Zogby, said he didn't think the rule would give offense, but that he did find it puzzling.

"I've never heard of that before," he said, adding that nobody had ever suggested avoiding the color on his satellite television show, which airs weekly in the Arab world.

"This is an overreach on somebody's part," he said. "It's not going to insult anybody, nor is it going to offend them if somebody does wear green."

markk
07-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I have traveled all over Europe and had some fantastic experiences. The "ugly american" exists as does the ugly frenchman, italian, german etc etc etc. No more do I judge Italy on the basis of thier oddballs do they in reality judge the US based on ours.

The idea that americans are just hated by default in europe is not true.

BucEyedPea
07-22-2008, 12:43 PM
I haven't seen it in the Europeans. We have many Germans, and English who vacation here in Florida. You can hardly tell, they don't stand out making any rukus or complaints. If anything they are more likely the targets of crime as the criminals know they don't carry a gun.

Now there's even more foreigners here due to the weak dollar.

Europeans being situated next to so many other cultures and languages are no where near as bad as some American's I've seen including some family members. Usually the older ones. Some of them expect things to be the same as America everywhere and won't adjust but complain. Europeans can speak more than one language too. So no, I haven't seen what you claim.

In fact another mom I know married an Italian from Italy, who she met in Malaysia, and moved here. He thinks this is paradise.

BucEyedPea
07-22-2008, 12:45 PM
The idea that americans are just hated by default in europe is not true.

Well, I did not say that nor meant to imply that. Just that there are some who are called "Ugly Americans." You'll know them when you see them. My aunt is one.

BucEyedPea
07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
I don't think most people are that big of idiots.

I just think if you're going someplace overseas you should at least be responsible enough to learn a few basic phrases of the language and dress appropriately, learn what is taboo and what isn't, spend a buck on a map and try to fend for yourself at least.

I said I agreed. I don't think a culture like Europe is as big a problem as certain 3rd world cultures are. I mean Americans are more conservative compared to Europeans who like to remove their clothing on public beaches. I had a hard time with that but didn't complain loudly. Or the French, the women who dress more provocatively even for work in an office. They think nothing of it though.

The only thing I can say I've seen around here is that a hotel had to put a flyer out to the Europeans to please keep their clothes on by the pool.
But then an American filed a loud complaint about a naked two year down by the same pool too.

Fish
07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
One might think that the women of the press would get offended by treating them like schoolchildren or idiots.

schoolchildren = idiots ?

acesn8s
07-22-2008, 01:23 PM
you should respect others customs. you don't just go into another country and act like you can do whatever you feel like. I love it how us americans feel we are entitled to do whatever and whenever without regards to the enviroment around us. its selfish, pathetic, and embarassing. its the exact reason why the muslim world has the hatred to u that they do, along o course with the unwavering support for the zionist state of isreal.

Posted via Mobile Devicetell them that

http://www.co.alachua.fl.us/assets/uploads/images/blog/TwinTowers.jpg