PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Fantasy Baseball Trade Question

eazyb81
07-22-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm currently in 1st place in my keeper league, and a buddy of mine has a mancrush on my Hanley Ramirez. I don't really want to trade Hanley because he's probably the best power/speed combo in the game and plays a premium position, but he's currently offering Ryan Braun and Willy Tavares, and I'm thinking he may replace Tavares with another nice player if I push him on it.

Here's my current lineup:

C: Geovany Soto
1B: Derrek Lee
2B: Ian Kinsler
SS: Hanley
3B: Mark Reynolds
OF: Markakis
OF: Corey Hart
OF: Jermaine Dye
UT: JD Drew
UT: Giambi
Bench: Victorino, Stephen Drew, Hafner, Edwin Encarnacion

As I said, he's currently offering Ryan Braun and Willy Tavares. The other players he has that I may be interested include Matt Holliday, Josh Hamilton, Berkman, Miguel Cabrera, and Carl Crawford.

Any thoughts or opinions on what I should do? Losing Hanley would hurt, but would a combination of Braun and one of Hamilton/Berkman/Cabrera make up for it?

Hoover
07-22-2008, 08:46 AM
There is no way he will include Braun with Matt Holliday, Josh Hamilton, Berkman, Miguel Cabrera, or Carl Crawford. Thats giving up way too much for Hanley.

The one thing you must consider about Braun is that he can also play in the outfield, meaning you can keep Reynolds at 3rd if you want too. To be really honest I think you should pass on the trade, and instead find a different upgrade at 3rd base. Aramis Ramierez is in a slump maybe you can nab him for cheap or see if Aubrey Huff is available.

eazyb81
07-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback Hoover.

Since I made the initial post, I've been thinking about including someone like JD Drew or Mark Reynolds with Hanley to get two of his players back - maybe a package of Ryan Braun and Miggy Cabrera, who is having a bit of a down year. Think this deal is in my favor? Any chance he goes for it?

DJay23
07-22-2008, 08:54 AM
I would never give up a stud SS for any OF. If it's a keeper league, I'm assuming Ramirez would be your keeper? Good OF are a dime a dozen, good SS, not so much.

eazyb81
07-22-2008, 09:01 AM
I would never give up a stud SS for any OF. If it's a keeper league, I'm assuming Ramirez would be your keeper? Good OF are a dime a dozen, good SS, not so much.

We get 6 keepers, so any of the potential guys I'd be acquiring I would also be keeping for next year and beyond.

I agree with you on Ramirez, he's such a stud and plays a premium position. I just wonder if I'm overvaluing him, and at what point should I make a trade. I know the other league manager covets him, as he tried to trade for him before the season started.

Hoover
07-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Since we are talking about Fantasy Baseball.

I just traded D Lee and J. Shields for Felix Hernandez and Manny. (I did this before Felix went down, but I'm still glad I pulled the trigger.) D Lee isn't hitting for any power, and I think Manny will have a big 2nd half once Ortiz returns.

Here is my team.

C- Soto
1- Huff
2- Utley
3- Aram
SS- Hanley
OF- Berkman
OF- Braun
OF- Granderson
U- Manny

B- Fukudome
B- Soriano

Once Soriano comes back I'll move Berkman to 1st, and Huff to the bench.

Love my team and its flexibility but my pitching is a little weak.

Felix Hernandez
AJ Burnett
Dempster
Lincecum
G. floyd
Wood and Lidge as my closers.

The Bad Guy
07-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback Hoover.

Since I made the initial post, I've been thinking about including someone like JD Drew or Mark Reynolds with Hanley to get two of his players back - maybe a package of Ryan Braun and Miggy Cabrera, who is having a bit of a down year. Think this deal is in my favor? Any chance he goes for it?

I would veto the hell out of a deal that was Reynolds and Hanley for Cabrera and Braun.

That's so one-sided it's ridiculous.

eazyb81
07-22-2008, 10:54 AM
I would veto the hell out of a deal that was Reynolds and Hanley for Cabrera and Braun.

That's so one-sided it's ridiculous.

How do you figure? Reynolds line is basically the same as Cabrera's this season, and Hanley is better than Braun. It's hardly a one-sided deal unless you just discount Reynolds because he doesn't have name value.

eazyb81
07-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Also, this isn't a standard 5x5 league. We have multiple categories:

R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, KK, AVG

The Bad Guy
07-22-2008, 11:06 AM
How do you figure? Reynolds line is basically the same as Cabrera's this season, and Hanley is better than Braun. It's hardly a one-sided deal unless you just discount Reynolds because he doesn't have name value.

Cabrera had a horrid first half, and is still on pace for around 300 with 30 jacks and over 100 RBIs. Cabrera is a pure hitter. Reynolds is half of Adam Dunn without the walks.

.42 points on batting average.
7 more RBIs for Miggy.
Reynolds has 2 more HRs.

I look at a lot more than HRs to guage whether or not I'm making a trade. Reynolds isn't close to Cabrera's league. I don't play in 5x5 leagues, but even in a 5x5 Cabrera >>>>>>>>>>>>> Reynolds.

RJ
07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm currently in 1st place in my keeper league, and a buddy of mine has a mancrush on my Hanley Ramirez. I don't really want to trade Hanley because he's probably the best power/speed combo in the game and plays a premium position, but he's currently offering Ryan Braun and Willy Tavares, and I'm thinking he may replace Tavares with another nice player if I push him on it.

Here's my current lineup:

C: Geovany Soto
1B: Derrek Lee
2B: Ian Kinsler
SS: Hanley
3B: Mark Reynolds
OF: Markakis
OF: Corey Hart
OF: Jermaine Dye
UT: JD Drew
UT: Giambi
Bench: Victorino, Stephen Drew, Hafner, Edwin Encarnacion

As I said, he's currently offering Ryan Braun and Willy Tavares. The other players he has that I may be interested include Matt Holliday, Josh Hamilton, Berkman, Miguel Cabrera, and Carl Crawford.

Any thoughts or opinions on what I should do? Losing Hanley would hurt, but would a combination of Braun and one of Hamilton/Berkman/Cabrera make up for it?

You said it's a keeper league but are there player salaries involved?

duncan_idaho
07-22-2008, 12:08 PM
I'd say heck no to a Ramirez trade for two reasons:
1) It's a keeper league, which drives his value WAY up
2) Nobody is going to want to give up what he's worth (a good, second tier keeper SS and another front-line player).

The problem is, Ramirez, Reyes and Rollins are so far out in front of everyone else at SS.

I'd dangle Stephen Drew to him. Guy is red-hot and has decent keeper value. Should net you an OF upgrade if that's what you're looking for.

I just finished fleecing a guy in one of my fantasy leagues... sent him Josh Hamilton, Mike Gonzalez and Joe Crede for Carlos Beltran and John Lackey. Gives me this team:

C Pierzynski
1B Morneau
2B Upton
SS Joses Reyes
3B Gordon
OF Magglio Ordonez
OF Beltran
OF Bay
OF Grady Sizemore
BN Dejesus

P Sabathia
P Lackey
P Kazmir
P Hamels
P Greinke

RP - Lyon
RP - Wilson
RP - Rauch
RP - Broxton
RP - Taylor Bucholz
RP - Manny Corpas
DL - Wainwright

The sad thing is, there are two other teams that are equally stacked in this 12-team league. Bunch of morons in it...

eazyb81
07-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Cabrera had a horrid first half, and is still on pace for around 300 with 30 jacks and over 100 RBIs. Cabrera is a pure hitter. Reynolds is half of Adam Dunn without the walks.

.42 points on batting average.
7 more RBIs for Miggy.
Reynolds has 2 more HRs.

I look at a lot more than HRs to guage whether or not I'm making a trade. Reynolds isn't close to Cabrera's league. I don't play in 5x5 leagues, but even in a 5x5 Cabrera >>>>>>>>>>>>> Reynolds.

You can say this all you want, but the stats don't back you up. Reynolds has been on the same level as Cabrera this year, and Hanley is better than Braun. That's hardly veto worthy.

eazyb81
07-22-2008, 12:10 PM
You said it's a keeper league but are there player salaries involved?

Nope.

cookster50
07-22-2008, 12:24 PM
If you could get 2 studs, then do it. Hanley for Braun and trash, or even Joe Average, now way.

RJ
07-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Then I wouldn't trade Ramirez for Braun. As duncan idaho points out, Ramirez as a SS is much more valuable than Braun as an OF. If you really believe Cabrera isn't much better than Reynolds then why would you make the trade? I see no advantage to you for this year or next.

Just my .02.

The Bad Guy
07-22-2008, 12:28 PM
You can say this all you want, but the stats don't back you up. Reynolds has been on the same level as Cabrera this year, and Hanley is better than Braun. That's hardly veto worthy.

Stats don't backup that Cabrera is hitting 42 points higher than Reynolds?

What planet do you live on?

Hanley is better than Braun, but Reynolds, now and over the course of the year, is an inferior player to Miguel Cabrera by about a mile.

eazyb81
07-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Stats don't backup that Cabrera is hitting 42 points higher than Reynolds?

What planet do you live on?

Hanley is better than Braun, but Reynolds, now and over the course of the year, is an inferior player to Miguel Cabrera by about a mile.

AVG is all that matters? Reynolds has more runs, HR, and walks, while being right there at RBI, 2B, and hits. Cabrera has a 40 point lead on average, but other than that they are very similar, and certainly aren't a mile apart.

I realize that Cabrera is a better overall player, which is why I would want him over Reynolds if I had the choice, but I stand by my initial point that this trade wouldn't be veto worthy.

eazyb81
07-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Then I wouldn't trade Ramirez for Braun. As duncan idaho points out, Ramirez as a SS is much more valuable than Braun as an OF. If you really believe Cabrera isn't much better than Reynolds then why would you make the trade? I see no advantage to you for this year or next.

Just my .02.

Agree, I think I'm going to keep HanRam. He's the best fantasy player, plays a premium position, and has yet to even enter the prime of his career. Thanks for the reality check.

Hoover
07-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Since its a keeper league its a hell no. Next season Braun will only be eligible in the outfield which also decreases his value.

What you need to be doing is trading for a Longoria type player.

The baseball keeper league I'm in rocks. We keep 8 every year, but we and positions like Corner Infielder, Infielder DH, DH, and you have to start 2 catchers. It makes depth really valuable.

The thing I love about that league is that you actually have a farm team. Your farm team consists of players who have not played in the Bigs yet, or were only September call ups. So not only can you keep 8 players, you can look to the future of your team.

we are a bunch of minor league baseball nuts so we are all into it. but I have to say its the best league I've played in.