PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How patient will YOU be with Brodie Croyle?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Coogs
07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Hmmm. I pretty much agree with most of that, Mr. DaneMcCloud.

Clearly, Croyle has to demonstrate the ability to make good decisions (particularly whilst under pressure), leadership (maybe a come-from-behind scoring drive or two), and availability (he can't be injured every other game).

Should he progress in those areas, we ought to be good to go because, when healthy, he certainly has all the physical tools necessary to play the position.

FAX

That was my take as well. If in a full year at the helm... OTA's, Training Camp, and the regular season we don't see much, then it probably would be time to look somewhere else. Based on what I have seen so far, if Croyle stays healthy we may not have to do that.

DeezNutz
07-23-2008, 08:15 PM
I don't disagree with the argument that Dane has presented, but it's like deja vu all over again from the 90's, according to Yogi.

Perhaps the Cleveland situation would be a bit different, since that team ostensibly has two high-quality QBs? Many of my snooty friends from the upper midwest say that Cleveland is the new San Fran.

DaneMcCloud
07-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Most QB's don't produce like that in their first year starting. The guys who have more TD's than INT's are few and far between. Again, I think people have been spoiled by Brady and Roethlisberger.

Don't forget Eli. He started six games his rookie year. 6TD's, 9 INT's. In his second season, he was 24/17.

Why do people bag on his decision making?

I think you misread my statement. 4. If the Chiefs win less than 4 games with Croyle at the helm and his decision making is at the root of the loses, it's time to move on. Some guys just never get it.

As I pointed out earlier, I think we should draft a QB in 2009 regardless of how Croyle performs.

But I have a huge problem with you insinuating that we'd be wasting a talented team. This team needs another 2 drafts like the one they just had before we can even think about them seriously competing, IMO, and unlike many here, I'm willing to wait.

Then were in total disagreement. This team dramatically improved their offensive and defensive lines this past draft with Albert & Dorsey. Both will improve the play of the guys around them. I know that KC is spoiled with multiple Pro-Bowlers on the offensive line, but that's just not necessary to be a successful playoff team. A good unit that plays together can be just as effective.

Additionally, if this team is picking in the top ten next April (which I fully expect), they'll have a chance to load up even further. There's no reason why they can't be pushing for 9-10 wins in 2009 IF the QB play is average or above average.

Three years is way too long to wait for this team to make a playoff push. Marty took a 3-12-1 team that had one winning season in 15 years and had them in the playoffs by year two.

It's not impossible. Especially with consecutive top 10 draft choices (much like 1988-1989).

OnTheWarpath58
07-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Don't forget Eli. He started six games his rookie year. 6TD's, 9 INT's. In his second season, he was 24/17.

I think you misread my statement. 4. If the Chiefs win less than 4 games with Croyle at the helm and his decision making is at the root of the loses, it's time to move on. Some guys just never get it.

As I pointed out earlier, I think we should draft a QB in 2009 regardless of how Croyle performs.

Then were in total disagreement. This team dramatically improved their offensive and defensive lines this past draft with Albert & Dorsey. Both will improve the play of the guys around them. I know that KC is spoiled with multiple Pro-Bowlers on the offensive line, but that's just not necessary to be a successful playoff team. A good unit that plays together can be just as effective.

Additionally, if this team is picking in the top ten next April (which I fully expect), they'll have a chance to load up even further. There's no reason why they can't be pushing for 9-10 wins in 2009 IF the QB play is average or above average.

Three years is way too long to wait for this team to make a playoff push. Marty took a 3-12-1 team that had one winning season in 15 years and had them in the playoffs by year two.

It's not impossible. Especially with consecutive top 10 draft choices (much like 1988-1989).

Not saying it's impossible, but to expect it?

You're asking a bunch of rookies to be great immediately. It takes time and experience to reach your potential in this league - at least for MOST guys - there are always exceptions. But you can't expect a bunch of 1st and 2nd year players to become world-beaters.

FAX
07-23-2008, 08:38 PM
So much depends a red wheelbarrow glazed with rain water lining up on the ball.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
07-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Not saying it's impossible, but to expect it?

You're asking a bunch of rookies to be great immediately. It takes time and experience to reach your potential in this league - at least for MOST guys - there are always exceptions. But you can't expect a bunch of 1st and 2nd year players to become world-beaters.

I'm not expecting a bunch of rookies to be world-beaters, I'm expecting two first round draft choices and a second round draft choice to make a world of difference. I'm also expecting improved play from the linebacking corps, the receiver corps and the QB position.

The Chiefs may not win more than 4 games in 2008 but that doesn't mean that with another solid draft of great talent, they can't push for 8-8 or 9-7 in 2009. Other teams have done just that.

The Chiefs should be no exception.

milkman
07-23-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm not expecting a bunch of rookies to be world-beaters, I'm expecting two first round draft choices and a second round draft choice to make a world of difference. I'm also expecting improved play from the linebacking corps, the receiver corps and the QB position.

The Chiefs may not win more than 4 games in 2008 but that doesn't mean that with another solid draft of great talent, they can't push for 8-8 or 9-7 in 2009. Other teams have done just that.

I don't think you should be expecting to much from the LB corps.

The only one that we should be expecting anything from is DJ.

The rest, eh...not so much.

DaneMcCloud
07-23-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't think you should be expecting to much from the LB corps.

The only one that we should be expecting anything from is DJ.

The rest, eh...not so much.

I'm expecting improved play from the linebackers for a few reasons:

1. DJ. It's his fourth season. Time to shit or get off the pot.

2. Demorrio Williams. I hope that he's a suitable replacement for Donnie Edwards when Edwards goes down with injury (again). I love DE but he's getting long in the tooth and shouldn't be counted on for 16 games. If he's healthy, that's an added bonus.

3. The addition of Glen Dorsey. His presence in the middle should make a huge difference.

I'm not expecting that unit to be amazing, like Baltimore's or Tampa Bay's in their heyday, but I do expect them to be improved over last year.

And to tackle.

beach tribe
07-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Very good points from all sides.

OnTheWarpath58
07-23-2008, 08:55 PM

OK, now that's different.

8-8 in 2009? Do-able.

Playoff push? I would expect to need more than 8-9 wins to get into the playoffs in the stacked AFC for the next several years.

Which is why I said that I would expect to be able to make a legit run in 2010.

milkman
07-23-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm expecting improved play from the linebackers for a few reasons:

1. DJ. It's his fourth season. Time to shit or get off the pot.

I really believe that Cunther screwed the pooch on this one.
DJ should have been lined up at Will from the first day he put on a Chief uniform.
If rumors are true, that he will be lining up at Will this year, I expect he'll take a huge step up.

2. Demorrio Williams. I hope that he's a suitable replacement for Donnie Edwards when Edwards goes down with injury (again). I love DE but he's getting long in the tooth and shouldn't be counted on for 16 games. If he's healthy, that's an added bonus.

Again, if rumors are true, then Williams is depth, because he is best suited for Will.

As for Edwards, he has always been overrated by Chief fans, and he clearly showed signs of decline last season.

3. The addition of Glen Dorsey. His presence in the middle should make a huge difference.

I'm not expecting that unit to be amazing, like Baltimore's or Tampa Bay's in their heyday, but I do expect them to be improved over last year.

And to tackle.

No question, Dorsey's presence will have an impact, but the fact remains, we need talent upgrades at Mike and Sam, if rumors are true.

DaneMcCloud
07-23-2008, 09:06 PM
I really believe that **nther screwed the pooch on this one.
DJ should have been lined up at Will from the first day he put on a Chief uniform.
If rumors are true, that he will be lining up at Will this year, I expect he'll take a huge step up.

Again, if rumors are true, then Williams is depth, because he is best suited for Will.

As for Edwards, he has always been overrated by Chief fans, and he clearly showed signs of decline last season.

No question, Dorsey's presence will have an impact, but the fact remains, we need talent upgrades at Mike and Sam, if rumors are true.

IF the Chiefs don't need to take a QB in the first round of the 2009 draft, I don't see how they can not take the highest rated MLB on the board (I'll let the USC & OSU fans fight that one out).

Improved CB play should factor in as well.

Again, I'm not expecting some gigantic leap from #15 overall to top 5 but I do expect to see noticeable improvements.

Direckshun
07-23-2008, 09:12 PM
A ****ing solid debate thread.

Pretty impressive guys. Thanks.

My take is give Croyle a long leash in 2008. If he struggles more than he should, draft or pick up a premier QB in the following offseason. If you draft a stud, put Croyle on a short leash in 2009 and yank him when he finally flounders.

beach tribe
07-23-2008, 09:15 PM
A ****ing solid debate thread.

Pretty impressive guys. Thanks.

My take is give Croyle a long leash in 2008. If he struggles more than he should, draft or pick up a premier QB in the following offseason. If you draft a stud, put Croyle on a short leash in 2009 and yank him when he finally flounders.

X2

the Talking Can
07-23-2008, 09:16 PM
my take is this:

Croyle will improve this year

or he won't

if he does improve, then we're ok

if he does not improve, then we're not ok

beach tribe
07-23-2008, 09:23 PM
my take is this:

or he won't

I think you're getting somewhere with this.

blueballs
07-23-2008, 09:24 PM
DelRio not wanting a shut
this shit is hilarious

Coogs
07-23-2008, 09:55 PM
my take is this:

or he won't

Well said. But how long are you going to give him before you start screaming for Thigpen? 1 game? 4 games? 8 games? Whole season?

I'm giving him the whole season.

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-23-2008, 10:54 PM
I really hope the line just gives him a chance to succeed. I think most will say that he doesn't need a Roaf-led like line that we had a few years ago to be good, but that a line like we had last year just is not the best to judge someone fairly. That line was one of the worst in the league in recent memory. Better playcalling should help as well.

Buehler445
07-24-2008, 01:12 AM
As much as I think Micjones is completely off base, it is nice to talk football again.

JuicesFlowing
07-24-2008, 02:58 AM
It's a lot easier to have patience with Croyle since the entire team is rebuilding. If the Chiefs had all the pieces in place to make a run deep into the playoffs, I imagine they'd go get a veteran to run the show.

kcchiefsus
07-24-2008, 03:02 AM
IF the Chiefs don't need to take a QB in the first round of the 2009 draft, I don't see how they can not take the highest rated MLB on the board (I'll let the USC & OSU fans fight that one out).

Improved CB play should factor in as well.

Again, I'm not expecting some gigantic leap from #15 overall to top 5 but I do expect to see noticeable improvements.

Yep, I would love to be in the 7-10 range in the draft and have the chance to draft Rey Maulauga (spelling?). I think that would really be the finishing touch to an elite defense assuming some of our current players develop as we hope.

Pablo
07-24-2008, 03:04 AM
Yep, I would love to be in the 7-10 range in the draft and have the chance to draft Rey Maulauga (spelling?). I think that would really be the finishing touch to an elite defense assuming some of our current players develop as we hope.If Ray has a good season, he'll go higher than the 7-10 range.

ChiefsCountry
07-24-2008, 03:09 AM
If Ray has a good season, he'll go higher than the 7-10 range.

Doubt it. Middle linebackers never go 1-5 range.

Mecca
07-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Yea, even if he's amazing, the odds of a MLB going that high are slim......he'll likely get slotted in the 10-20 range.

tmax63
07-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Everyone keeps debating if Croyle has "it" or has had enough time to show it. Last year he couldn't show squat because he was handcuffed by a 2nd yr OC who was overwelmed by the new position he was in. And probably so thankful for getting a shot at OC that he let others influence his playcalling. I read somewhere that the Chiefs ddn't even have an audible system to get out of bad plays with. Last year BC's starts got him live practices and a chance to get a feel for the speed of the game. This year a veteran OC who has a proven track record of making offenses fit players and who is not beholding to anyone is guiding the offense. A veteran OC who will call his own game and not allow alot of external influence unless he feel's it helps. Don't get me wrong, I don't worship at the alter of Gailey, but I see BC getting a real chance to show what he has this year with an OC that will help him do so instead of tying his hands an impeding him. I still think that the pickup of a veteran, proven OC this offseason could end up being as valuable as any of our draft picks. Maybe more. Solari was a nice experiment and I was rooting for the guy to do well but he couldn't perform at the OC level. And I do believe that a good OC can do wonders for an offense, just as a bad one can destroy an offense (see 2003 and 2007 as examples). IMHO

the Talking Can
07-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Well said. But how long are you going to give him before you start screaming for Thigpen? 1 game? 4 games? 8 games? Whole season?

I'm giving him the whole season.

i spent last year defending croyle from the "he's not tom brady!" idiocy....i just decided to stop trying, people never were interested in actually going through the growing pains of developing a qb...they started whining after his first preseason game...

thigpen is the brian shay of qbs...

Demonpenz
07-24-2008, 09:54 AM
If Croyle has another bad preseason and hasn't shown any flashes the first 4 games. I think we should give thigpen a shot.

TEX
07-24-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm not willing to be all that patient with Croyle.

People keep telling me I should be, but he's had time to have shown s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g and he hasn't.

The worst thing a franchise can do is stick with a guy who doesn't have it. I hope that if the Chiefs realize that, they bench him and give Thigpen a chance. So, I'm only willing to give him enough time to show improvement - maybe half a season. If he looks like last year throughout the first 8 games, Im done. If he shows some improvement, I'd give him the rest of the season. However, if he gets hurt at any time, and Thigpen were to show something in his absense, Id stay that course.

Bottom line is the Chiefs owe Croyle nothing. He's a 3rd round draft pick who has had time to shine at times but has not. If he still $ucks well into the season they should not try to make him something he isn't.

Raiderhader
07-24-2008, 11:01 AM
i spent last year defending croyle from the "he's not tom brady!" idiocy....i just decided to stop trying, people never were interested in actually going through the growing pains of developing a qb...they started whining after his first preseason game...

thigpen is the brian shay of qbs...

Ouch. I know it's true but, ouch.

OnTheWarpath58
07-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Since mic's Brady comparison has been deemed as ridiculous by everyone but himself, we're still waiting to hear what young QB had to deal with similar adversity to Croyle in his first 6 starts - and succeeded.

Hell, the only two recent guys who had issues even resemble Croyle's that I can think of right now are Alex Smith and JP Losman.

Both suffered from the same issues as Croyle:

Poor offensive line play.

Lack of a running game.

Terrible coaching.

I think you could put Losman in a perfect situation and he'd still fail, but Smith has potential, he just hasn't shown it yet.

BTW, Croyle stats are outstanding compared to these two...

crazycoffey
07-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Since mic's Brady comparison has been deemed as ridiculous by everyone but himself, we're still waiting to hear what young QB had to deal with similar adversity to Croyle in his first 6 starts - and succeeded.

Hell, the only two recent guys who had issues even resemble Croyle's that I can think of right now are Alex Smith and JP Losman.

Lack of a running game.

Terrible coaching.

I think you could put Losman in a perfect situation and he'd still fail, but Smith has potential, he just hasn't shown it yet.

Is this one of the "errands" you had to run? - get to work!

LOL

Pablo
07-24-2008, 11:57 AM
If Croyle has another bad preseason and hasn't shown any flashes the first 4 games. I think we should give thigpen a shot.Seriously. Watching Thigpen at an OTA was painful. He was just plain garbage. Huard and f*cking David Greene looked like all-pros compared to him.

We do not want to see Thigpen out there...at any cost.

I'd rather watch Hutard trot his dumb-ass out there for half a season until we can draft a dud next year than see Thigpen take one snap as the starter.

OnTheWarpath58
07-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Seriously. Watching Thigpen at an OTA was painful. He was just plain garbage. Huard and f*cking David Greene looked like all-pros compared to him.

We do not want to see Thigpen out there...at any cost.

I'd rather watch Hutard trot his dumb-ass out there for half a season until we can draft a dud next year than see Thigpen take one snap as the starter.

I love how people don't have the patience to give a young 3rd round pick more than 6 games to become Brady-like, but think that a 7th round guy is going to step in and perform better...

Pablo
07-24-2008, 12:12 PM
I love how people don't have the patience to give a young 3rd round pick more than 6 games to become Brady-like, but think that a 7th round guy is going to step in and perform better...Our fan base expects instant gratification...when we are about the furthest away from that reality.

I can hardly wait for the draft Tebow/Stafford/Boeckman camp next spring. It really won't matter if Brodie has solid numbers and 6 wins, he's already a foregone conclusion in some fan's minds. A never has been, never will be sort of guy who was only worthy of a 3rd round pick so he'll never be worthy of any sort of time to develop.

OnTheWarpath58
07-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Our fan base expects instant gratification...when we are about the furthest away from that reality.

I can hardly wait for the draft Tebow/Stafford/Boeckman camp next spring. It really won't matter if Brodie has solid numbers and 6 wins, he's already a foregone conclusion in some fan's minds. A never has been, never will be sort of guy who was only worthy of a 3rd round pick so he'll never be worthy of any sort of time to develop.

Couldn't agree more.

No matter what he does this year, it won't be enough in some people minds.

I honestly think some people are at the point where they don't want him to succeed, for fear of being wrong.

He could have gone out and had a 250 yard, 2TD/0 INT performance and people would have said "well, why didn't he throw for 300 yards and 3 TD's? Again, stats don't tell the entire story.

It amazes me how so many different sets of eyes can see so many different performances. For people to say he showed absolutely nothing last year either:

Expect WAY too much from a 3rd round pick with 6 starts.

Are too hung up on SportsCenter-type stats, and don't look past them.

Know nothing about football.

Chiefnj2
07-24-2008, 12:20 PM

Lack of a running game.

Terrible coaching.

Would you stick with him if he misses every fourth game due to injury?

Pablo
07-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Would you stick with him if he misses every fourth game due to injury?No.

Your most important ability is your availability. I don't care if Croyle looks GREAT...if he gets hurt, or has to take numerous games off for injuries...he's as good as done in my mind.

That's the most fair criticism of Brodie. He has shown himself to be fragile, and I hope our line helps out a bit and doesn't get him splattered all the time; but if he can't stay healthy this season, he'll never be an NFL QB.

OnTheWarpath58
07-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Would you stick with him if he misses every fourth game due to injury?

Nope, and I said as much several times earlier in the thread.

I also said I'd draft a QB in 2009 no matter how good/bad Croyle played, based on his availability alone.

Injuries are the one reason why I would go in another direction before mid-2009.

Otherwise, he should be behind center, IMO. There's no one currently on the roster waiting in the wings, and there's no way in hell we throw a 2009 draft pick out there Week 1. He's got a year-and-a-half in my book, if he stays healthy.

FAX
07-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Croyle's injury history is my biggest concern. Then again, much of that seems to have been blown out of proportion. I'm not sure he's any more "injury prone" than the next guy. He may, however, just be one of those really unlucky peeps who, more often than not, finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and gets all twisted. Kind of like a one-eyed dog with a baloney tail in a crowded beaver house.

FAX

Fish
07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
I never expected Trent Green to stay healthy enough to actually lead the team to anything, and he pretty much proved me wrong for 5 years. I expected his knee to give out in his first season.

You never know....

OnTheWarpath58
07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Croyle's injury history is my biggest concern. Then again, much of that seems to have been blown out of proportion. I'm not sure he's any more "injury prone" than the next guy. He may, however, just be one of those really unlucky peeps who, more often than not, finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and gets all twisted. Kind of like a one-eyed dog with a baloney tail in a crowded beaver house.

FAX

I think what's been blown out of proportion are his injuries in the NFL.

I think that because of his HS/College history, people are reading to much into his recent issues and making it out like he's fragile. From what I read about the hit he took in HS that tore his ACL, it would have happened to ANYONE.

IIRC, it was the Oakland game where he suffered a bruised kidney early in the game, took a painkiller, and went back out and finished. I still think based on his college history, he would have played the following week, and the coaching/medical staff said no - and honestly, why risk anything?

Same with Detroit. He was probably going to be pulled to try and create a spark with Huard anyway. People act like the only reason he came out was due to injury. Again, at that point of the game, and season, why risk anything? Let Huard take some abuse.

The guy played the last 6 games of his Sophomore season at Alabama with a separated shoulder and 2 cracked ribs.

Toughness is not the issue here, IMO. Bad luck, and bad timing is.

FAX
07-24-2008, 01:29 PM
I think what's been blown out of proportion are his injuries in the NFL.

I think that because of his HS/College history, people are reading to much into his recent issues and making it out like he's fragile. From what I read about the hit he took in HS that tore his ACL, it would have happened to ANYONE.

IIRC, it was the Oakland game where he suffered a bruised kidney early in the game, took a painkiller, and went back out and finished. I still think based on his college history, he would have played the following week, and the coaching/medical staff said no - and honestly, why risk anything?

Same with Detroit. He was probably going to be pulled to try and create a spark with Huard anyway. People act like the only reason he came out was due to injury. Again, at that point of the game, and season, why risk anything? Let Huard take some abuse.

The guy played the last 6 games of his Sophomore season at Alabama with a separated shoulder and 2 cracked ribs.

Toughness is not the issue here, IMO. Bad luck, and bad timing is.

We are in accord, Mr. OnTheWarpath58.

Which is a whole lot better than being in a crowded beaver house. Especially the ones with the ridiculously low ceilings where you mash your noggin against a tree branch every time you try to stand up. A guy could get a very nasty scratch or even lose an eye if you're not careful. I figure that's why people think beavers are rude, but they're not, really. They just don't stand when a lady enters the room. And, who can blame them? A dizzy, blind beaver isn't good for much.

FAX

OnTheWarpath58
07-24-2008, 01:31 PM
We are in accord, Mr. OnTheWarpath58.

Which is a whole lot better than being in a crowded beaver house. Especially the ones with the ridiculously low ceilings where you mash your noggin against a tree branch every time you try to stand up. A guy could get a very nasty scratch or even lose an eye if you're not careful. I figure that's why people think beavers are rude, but they're not, really. They just don't stand when a lady enters the room. And, who can blame them? A dizzy, blind beaver isn't good for much.

FAX

Did I miss something? Some cross-thread humor, perhaps?

I've seen you mention this "crowded beaver house" several times now.

I'm much more concerned about Honeybadgers, myself.

OnTheWarpath58
07-24-2008, 08:25 PM
The more I've thought about it, the more credit Huard and Croyle should get for what they accomplished.

Neither had the luxury of a decent offensive line or running game, so the defense knew that the only two realistic options were Bowe and Gonzalez.

Yet they had almost 2,200 yard between them.

crazycoffey
07-24-2008, 08:28 PM
The more I've thought about it, the more credit Huard and Croyle should get for what they accomplished.

Neither had the luxury of a decent offensive line or running game, so the defense knew that the only two realistic options were Bowe and Gonzalez.

Yet they had almost 2,200 yard between them.

have you been drinking?

OnTheWarpath58
07-24-2008, 08:31 PM
have you been drinking?\

Yes, and I just commented to my lovely wife about how inexpensive my bar tab was...

crazycoffey
07-24-2008, 08:37 PM
\

Yes, and I just commented to my lovely wife about how inexpensive my bar tab was...

further proof that I must know how to "throw it" better than the midnight idiot. And I don't even own a motorcycle....

dorseybowe
07-24-2008, 09:35 PM
http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/photogallery/080724arrival/080724arrival-198.html

I would be more patient if he would gain some weight.

OnTheWarpath58
07-25-2008, 04:58 AM
http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/photogallery/080724arrival/080724arrival-198.html

I would be more patient if he would gain some weight.

I'm not picking on you, considering that a LOT of people here think his weight is an issue, but...

IMO, his weight has very little to do with his injury history.

Would 10 more pounds of bulk kept him from tearing an ACL?

Separating his shoulder?

Bruising his kidney?

If things like like are going to happen, they're going to happen, regardless of whether he weighs 215 or 225.

Guru
07-25-2008, 05:53 AM
\

And you didn't invite me?

milkman
07-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Infusing the team with youth I can understand and its being done. The notion of building an NFL team when key players are with teams less than 3 years in this day and age is ridiculous. You could do that back in the 70's even the 80's but not now. The window is to short, you have to build a season. I am just repeating what I have heard many people say that are in the business. You have to win now.

I think it is stupid to think that our players are sharing the same thoughts that some fans are in saying that this is a building year and that they don't expect to be competitive.

I think your wrong.

You look at the teams that are consistently among the elite, they built thier teams in much the same way that the Chiefs are going about it right now.

The Chargers, the Colts, the Pats, The Rams of the late 90s, early 2000s.

I'm pretty sure that if you look at the Colts roster, every one of their starters are players that have never played in a game for another team.

Teams that try to remain competitive year after year through free agency are teams that are consistently inconsistent.

OnTheWarpath58
07-26-2008, 08:47 AM
You look at the teams that are consistently among the elite, they built thier teams in much the same way that the Chiefs are going about it right now.

The Chargers, the Colts, the Pats, The Rams of the late 90s, early 2000s.

I'm pretty sure that if you look at the Colts roster, every one of their starters are players that have never played in a game for another team.

Teams that try to remain competitive year after year through free agency are teams that are consistently inconsistent.

And regarding the Colts, they DEPEND on the draft. No high-priced free agents - they build with youth.

Trading Marshall Faulk? Seemed crazy until they drafted Edgerrin James and didn't miss a beat.

Then they let James WALK? People thought they were nuts, until they drafted Adaii, and won a SB with him.

They are brilliant when it comes to making the decision on who to re-sign, and who to let walk.